PDA

View Full Version : Kare Kano

merylsilverburg
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Yes, I know there was a thread like this before started by Fortune, but since it's gone and I finally got to see it, I just wanted to let you guys know what I think of it. I finally got to see it (the licensed version, under the silly name of "His and Her Circumstances" :disturb: ) and it was very good. :) The main character, Yukino, did irk me in the beginning a little, but she actually isn't so bad, so I'm sorry for dissing her off. The story is pretty fast-paced (which is good) and you can really feel the emotions between Yukino and Arima. It's a cute shoujo series and I thank you, Fortune, for informing me about it. :) If you're a shoujo fan, this is something to see.

Carlito
Jul 17th, 2002, 05:12 AM
I'm not really into shojo genre, for obvious reason (the name says it all...), but Kare Kano is a series I enjoy watching. The story, thanks to Hideaki Anno's work, is only apparently the usual one of this genre, but there's a lot of not banal humor in it. And some poetry also (the one you can expect to find in anime...). There are many original aspects in it and the characters are really well developed IMO.
Definitely another good series from Gainax.

Cannibal Clown
Jul 17th, 2002, 10:43 AM
I saw a music video of that once. It was avbout seven minutes long, but it looked funny as hell, but a little too much on the shoujo side. I'm sorry, but in an anime, i need to see at least one dead body lying on the floor. The lack of violence shows a lack of interest on my part.

But it should be good for seeing it at least once.

RobHardo
Jul 17th, 2002, 11:31 AM
what's it about???

merylsilverburg
Jul 17th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Kare Kano is about this girl Miyazawa, Yukino who is the model student in school, who gets perfect scores on her tests, walks gracefully, and does everything perfect, but when she's at home, she's loud and not as "elegant" and kinda tomboyish. She has a "rival" who is a guy named Souichirou, Arima and he's perfect too, except he's actually one step better than her and so she's pissed and wants to beat him and become number 1 again. One day, they were talking about music and Arima offered to let her borrow this tape, but when he arrived at her house, Yukino accidently kicked him in the stomach while charging out the door. She's wearing sweats, glasses, and her hair is in a mess. Now that Arima found out about her secret, he blackmailed her to be his slave and do all his homework and so on, otherwise he'll reveal her "imperfection". But, it's revealed that he only did this because he's in love with her and only wanted her to be close to him. Yes, it's definitely a shoujo and if you're a die-hard blood and gore fan, this wouldn't appeal to ya. But, I'd still say give it a watch. :)

Ruby Moon
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Don't you think Kazuma (sp?) is a really cute guy? :love:
I'd sell my house to live with a guy like him in real life!

*minor spoilers*

Yeah, Tsubasa makes me feel really envious of her luck :mad:

Pu the Owl
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Glad my suggestion helped, meryl ;)
Anyway, I've changed my mind on Tsubasa as well, because she gets better when the series goes on, so I don't think I hate her anymore :D

merylsilverburg
Jul 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Ah, well I haven't really gotten too far yet, so I have no idea who Kazuya or Tsubasa is. :right: I've only watch episodes 1-6 and I would have to wait a while till they release the others.

Rei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:08 PM
I still have to see the whole series too, but I liked the episodes I've watched till now. I think in this series creators put an original mix of elements, and this makes Kare Kano an original shoujo series, very different from many others I've watched in the past.

Frozen
Jul 27th, 2002, 03:24 AM
If I'm not wrong, shoujo means something like young or little girl, does it not? In that case... is it more or less like CC Sakura?

Just making stupid questions around.... but just to have an idea of what's this series like :D

merylsilverburg
Jul 28th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Frozen
If I'm not wrong, shoujo means something like young or little girl, does it not? In that case... is it more or less like CC Sakura?

Just making stupid questions around.... but just to have an idea of what's this series like :D

Shoujo means "girls' comics" not necessarily "young girls' comics". And while shounen is "boys' comics", there are many guys who likes some shoujo and vice versa. And yes, CCS is a shoujo because of the storyline based for girls. :)