PDA

View Full Version : Game series: New vs. Old…

aj142
Jul 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Which series are getting better? Which get worse? They’ve come a long way… old screenshots vs. new.

Ruby Moon
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Final Fantasy series is getting a bit worse IMO. Very biased opinion, ne? But this is what I think. Nothing can beat the older games, neither the improved graphics and realistic environments.
And they're not doing, at least in FFX, a particularly brilliant job with those improved aspects either. 3D environments? Yeah, but you have to follow the path they decided for you, so there's no much sense in creating a 3D environments for this purpose (and anyway the environment is partly prerendered too...). Better 3d models for characters? Yeah, but look at what a mess they did when those characters speak or move around... their movements are too mechanical and make them look puppets and nothing more. Yuo want to amaze the player? Don't make these mistakes then. I prefer older graphics if I have to see characters that are neither able to move lips accordingly to the dialogue... So, I think they should improve all those aspects and also look for something new in order to not ruin the next games.

Other series that is getting worse is Resident Evil. I don't find any amusement in the repetition of the same old formulas in every single game they made. I think Resident Evil is a label and nothing more, a trademark. But if they want to keep an higher standard, they should add some new ideas.

Mario games are another series which has no longer reson to exist IMO. I liked the first ones, but now Mario, even more than RE, is a trademark, not a gaming series. Nintendo, please stop making identical Mario games. Thanks.

Getting better? I think the second Silent Hill was even better than the first one. A wonderful job they made in this last game. Hope they'll keep on improving.

Macceh^
Jul 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
I agrea with everything you put really there ruby.

The Final Fantasy games have began to deteriate, aside FF7 which was a vast imporvment on the previous few. Your right they should stick to making sure they ahve a gripping plot each time and an interesting original magic system each time.

Resident Evil 1 was amazing no doubt about it and i had great aticipation for the second, yeh it was good but it was no resi 1. The third was perhaps slightly beter than the second but it all began to lose focus and the cult classic that was resi had dissapeared.

Now we come to Code Veronica which I now think is the ebst Resi in the series, amazing story the choice of classic music "outed" the moonlight sonata in the original resi. The ending was poor though well at least on the dc version.

Silent Hill 2 was a great improvment on the first, exellent fog effects and an all-round better feel and look. Plot wise it was also superior. Then of course the "Theme of Laura" put the cherry on the top so to say.

AudioBoxer
Jul 18th, 2002, 10:13 PM
I think that the new Marios are kinda staying the same. At first it was a side scroller which is great but now 3d move around and multi functions in the games. Plus there are tons of types of marion games like racing, tennis babseball, plus more. The only mario game that killed it all was that one wear you were luigi and you had to search for mario, that sucked bad. I do agree with the Final Fantasy ones they are getting a little more boring. Tomb Raider is kinda getting boring. Really the only ones I have played are number 1 :phew: and a little of number 2:mad:. Mortal Kombat is getting good with more features which is always really good more fatalitys and you can even smash people through the walls, which is sweet and whole new backround