PDA

View Full Version : A question

Black Heart
Jul 15th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Sorry if it's not the right place to start a discussion on this topic, but this is something I've always been asking to myself and I'd like to know some opinions of people around here.

Why do you think Japanese anime and manga are very often centered on terrible disasters, like aliens or other supernatural creatures invading Japan (or planet Earth in general), and there's very often the struggle between those supernatural creatures or forces and a Japanese hero, with superpowers or guiding a mecha and so on? It's very different from American superheroes, don't you think? American superheroes are more centered on crime, and they're often fighting against human beings...

Is it maybe because of an unconscios fear after the atomic bomb?

merylsilverburg
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:26 AM
That's a good question Black Heart, something that I never really gave too much thought about until now. It could be because of the atomic bomb, but in a way, that reason also doesn't seem quite right. I'm guessing it's because the Japanese are just more into sci-fi-ish and mechanical things than the Americans are (not offending the Americans, just my thoughts). You're right; American cartoons are mostly on crime and everything, but that's because (and this is strictly my opinion) I think Americans are more used to that sort of thing. Americans like stories that are more realistic, in a way, especially involving superheroes and fighting to save the day from criminals and bombers and all. While, the Japanese are totally in love with technology and machinery, which is probably where their ideas for mangas come from. I mean, if you think about it, the Japanese have, in a way, been ahead of their time, with all these new technology and equipment coming out constantly. I'm not too sure what the real reason is though...I'm sure someone else here has a better idea than mine though. :heh:

Cannibal Clown
Jul 15th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Actually, the whole atomic bomb thingy does have a huge weight upon the whole super technology, and far out machinery thing to anime. I can't remember anything about it, but i do remember reading about it, and it made a lot of scence.

And about the far out sci fi stuff, and supoer natural power thing. America was built upon christianity, while japanese culture was centered around beliefs of many powerful gods who had a lot of influence on the people in japan. And in america, maybe if the rules to what we can put in cartoons wasn't so strict, then maybe we would have more cool and freaky animated films like they got in japan.

Like i stated before, listening to me is bad for your health, and i'm a very stupid little boy, so don't take what i say too seriously.:P