PDA

View Full Version : X Box Controllers (Whats the big deal)

Vicious_2003
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Ive noticed, as im sure have some of you, that a big deal has been made about the "Poor" Designing of the X Box controller. Most critics say its just flat out too BIG. After having used it many many times I certainly cant agree. The controller fills out my hand perfectly. Infact I find it hard to go back to PS2 and gamecube controllers . Also its definately built better, ive had countless PS2 controllers break from a simple whack against the floor, most recently due to the playing of "STUNTMAN", but you can tell itd take more htna that to finish odd an X Box controller. What do you think ?

Infernal Mass
Jul 14th, 2002, 06:31 AM
built/designed good yes deffinately, built better no.

Sid554
Jul 14th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_XZ84
Ive noticed, as im sure have some of you, that a big deal has been made about the "Poor" Designing of the X Box controller. Most critics say its just flat out too BIG. After having used it many many times I certainly cant agree. The controller fills out my hand perfectly. Infact I find it hard to go back to PS2 and gamecube controllers . Also its definately built better, ive had countless PS2 controllers break from a simple whack against the floor, most recently due to the playing of "STUNTMAN", but you can tell itd take more htna that to finish odd an X Box controller. What do you think ?

You didn't mention if you've ever actually whacked an Xbox controller against the floor. This would seem to be quite necessary before you say the controller is built better. You know, for comparison.:D

AudioBoxer
Jul 14th, 2002, 09:21 PM
yes I think the controller is way to big. I love the PS2 controller cus It is small and fights perfect in the hand. No I have not had the problem yet from the banging I hit the controller all the time while playing stuntman and it hasnt done anything yet. Maybe put a pillow in front of you so that when you hit the floor it will hit the pillow, think about it

TrikTopz

Sword 4 Hire
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:25 PM
I can't stand the Xbox controller personally...too big or maybe I've just been spoiled with the perfect design of the Playstation's. The thing is just too big and I don't like how the buttons are positioned diagonally...so that's why I bought the smaller version...MUCH better...

AsylumEscapee
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by TrikTopz
yes I think the controller is way to big. I love the PS2 controller cus It is small and fights perfect in the hand. No I have not had the problem yet from the banging I hit the controller all the time while playing stuntman and it hasnt done anything yet. Maybe put a pillow in front of you so that when you hit the floor it will hit the pillow, think about it

A pillow might work, just don't use your bed. If you're like me, It'll just bounce off, hit the wall, and land behind the bed.

BlackThornn
Jul 17th, 2002, 01:04 PM
*beeeep beeeep beeeep beeeep* What's that noise?

Oh, somebody's bringing in an Xbox standard controller. :D

Sorry, had to. After thirteen hours of Halo you get used to it, but it's still rather ungainly. I don't know what the designers at Microsoft were smoking at the time but I'm gonna find some.. errr.. find out.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM
The controller only seems bad when your used the playstation controller.I was playing my ps2 for about 3 hours and then i jumped over to the xbox and man it felt giant,but of course it is compared to the ps2 controller.You get used to it after awhile like blackthornn said but there is no real prob with the controller.Its just kinda odd switching between controllers.

Ps2OwnsYou
Jul 20th, 2002, 03:59 AM
The Xbox controller S is the best! I like it more than ps2 controllers. But i'd say the original xbox controller and the ps2 controller are equally good.

caliko
Jul 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Xbox controler sux!!!!You must have godgila hands to play with it!!!

faceoff508
Jul 20th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Dont like the Xbox controller? Shut up and go buy the Controller S!! It is the best controller youy will ever use. Even better than the PS2s. You just cant except the fact that you cant make fun of the Xbox Controller anymore because of the Controller S.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 20th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by caliko
Xbox controler sux!!!!You must have godgila hands to play with it!!!

Please no insults to anything it will only cause fights and the closing of the forum.

KraftSLU
Jul 20th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake
The controller only seems bad when your used the playstation controller.I was playing my ps2 for about 3 hours and then i jumped over to the xbox and man it felt giant,but of course it is compared to the ps2 controller.You get used to it after awhile like blackthornn said but there is no real prob with the controller.Its just kinda odd switching between controllers.

I totally agree with you on that note, sssnake. After playing my xbox so much and getting used to the controller (which I now love), I pick up a playstation controller and it feels like a flimsy piece of plastic that I can't get a comfortable grip on due to its miniscule size.

Sleazy P Martini
Jul 20th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by BlackThornn
*beeeep beeeep beeeep beeeep* What's that noise?

Oh, somebody's bringing in an Xbox standard controller. :D

Now that's funny! :laugh: But seriously, IMO the Xbox controller is great. It took about an hour to get used to it, and then it felt completely natural. I like the placement of the analog sticks better than the dualshock too.

Vicious_2003
Jul 20th, 2002, 11:22 PM
My thoughts exactly, I suppose its not a matter of wich is better, just wich you prefer, the small easy to get to buttons no matter how big your hands are, or the large controller that fills out your hand completely and is solid unough to take some abuse. I prefer the X Box controller but can use either. But once I got used to the large X Box controller and tried to use the S type I couldnt stand it, down with the S type

ZeroBeat77
Aug 15th, 2002, 12:27 AM
there making a cord to play playstation controllers on an xbox i think it's called x-connection, not lying

merylsilverburg
Aug 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
I've fitted the standard Xbox controller in my hand (you know, just to get a feel for it) and it was really huge to me. :heh: That's because I have small Asian hands (the width of my palm is 3 inches wide :disturb:) so the Xbox controller was way too big. To me, even the Dreamcast controller was a little smaller and the buttons are easy to reach. Since the Xbox is a US system, that's why the controllers are big as opposed to the other consoles which are from Japan, so the controllers are smaller to fit the Asian hands over there. Many Japanese complained about the size of the Xbox controller too, so I'm glad they came out with the Controller S, which fits perfectly in my hand. :happy:

GaseousSnake
Aug 16th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Has anyone noticed any similarities btw the Dreamcast pad and the Xbox pad?

jjmoohead
Aug 16th, 2002, 04:06 PM
i just bought a small gamepad for my roomates xbox, it makes game play much more enjoyable. The black and white buttons are moved uner the other bottons amking it more reachable. Drfinitly did a good job on this one.

Way to go microsoft

MakgSnake
Aug 16th, 2002, 04:20 PM
I Just Think XBOX Controllers Are Plain Stupid Huge And Extremely UnComfy. ................ They Might Look Good From Far ....... But I Seriously Wouldn't Wanna Come Near It!.! :boo:

As For The GameCube Controllers.......They Look Horrible And I Mean HORRIBLE. But But But......Once U Hold Them In Ure Hands, They FIT In Perfectly, Sooo Smooth And Amazingly Well Made. I Was Surprised When I Held Them. Everything Reached In Well And Its Just Amazing.

But .......... Ps2's Controllers Are Way Way Ahead Of Its Time. They Are Just A Little Too Perfect!.! :ghost:

KraftSLU
Aug 16th, 2002, 08:09 PM
I have the opposite problem as meryl. The xbox controller is a perfect fit, feels sturdy which I love, and I can reach everything perfectly. Whereas the ps2 controller is tiny and literally swims in my hands. I can't keep a grip on it to save my life (or lives depending on what game Im playing). If there was an adapter to let me use my xbox controller on the ps2 I would pick it up, no question.

Harry
Aug 16th, 2002, 08:22 PM
I've quite big hands, and I can sincerely say that I've still to find a console with the comfort of the Dual Shock. On my opinion, the Playstation controller (and the Playstation 2 advanced version) is one of the greatest gifts made to gamers.

The Xbox's controller is really a bit too big to be considered a "universal" controller like the Dual Shock. And well, its weight is really excessive...

On a note, the adapter that lets you play your Xbox with the Dual Shock controller (there are two or three versions around) is one of the worst things you could get for your Xbox. All the games for Microsoft's console have been calibrated with the original controller in mind. Plugging a Dual Shock 2 through the adapter will make you feel like you're playing with one of those cheap $5 third party controllers. If you don't like the original controller, you should get the S version or a third party one designed for the Xbox.

BowevelJoe
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:51 AM
i wouldnt say i had monster hands or anything, but the controller to me is pretty nifteh, it grew on me extremely fast (me being the FPS fan i am, and playing halo nonstop for quite awhiiile.. torturing marines will never get old :D ) but, i have a huge controller, then i have an S controller, but i use the big one alot more... mainly because its the one i started out on..but, the controllers are ALOT easier to manage than the gamecubes, i still cant play the gamecube very long without my hands getting a weird cramp X_x too much SSBM for me :laugh:

RobHardo
Aug 18th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Yeah my bro got his xbox friday, and i think he bought the small version with it cause he knew he would want to,

Sid554
Aug 18th, 2002, 07:13 PM
The only complaint I really have about the xbox controller is the placement of the black and white buttons-it's a little awkward IMO. I think the worst controller of the 3 systems is the GC. Like I read recently in reference to it-"the button setup looks like a robot threw up on a boomerang." I would have to agree.

lowdru2k2
Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:47 PM
I like the X-Box controller, I like the PS2 controller, I don't like the GC controller to much though. I love the X-Box Controller for FPS, Sports games, and others. I like how the thumbsticks are placed. I don't like how the thumbsticks are placed on the PS2 controller because you can't use both at the same time and press the X,O, ect. at the same time. I hope the PS2 improves by PS3.

happy_doughnut
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Almost everything has been said already, so, I'll just say this, plain and simple :

My problem with it is that it's too big.
I practically have to tilt my hands in a bizarre way just to be able to get to the back buttons while holding the rest... ugh; it's just so uncomfortable. That and, man, that thing is ugly as hell !!

My prefernce goes to the GC's. Even though it wont win any fasion awars, either, it's great handling makes up for it. That one, unlike the X-Box's, fits perfectly in my hand. I think it was made very, very well.

The PS2's : It's just kinda perfect. It's not bad-lookin' and it's pretty comfortable too.

Beretta55
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:58 AM
i dont have monster hands but it fits my hand pretty well its a good controller i dont find the problem with everybody else but my vote goes to GC its so perfect.

kupoartist
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:28 PM
Its weird how important contoller design is these days. its mostly because the complexity of the games we now play - there were no issues in controller design when games required a two buttons and a D-Pad. The ones we've currently got are also spookily different. I'd say the PS2's is probably the best as it has everything within reach of both hands, without trying to be all fancy and "space-age" like Nintendo. Microsoft's problem is that they clearly didn't put any thought into contoller design: In my opinion, it looks like they tried to get as many buttons on a Mega Drive controller as they could, making it bigger when they had trouble fitting each new button on.

As a note though, my favorite controller is my keyboard/mouse. but at least it has the desency to be placed on the desk ^_^

Damn Sniper
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:43 AM
I've got semi-big hands, so the controller fits me pretty good. I have, however, heard a lot of poeple say the buttons wear out on them pretty fast, I hear that's the #1 defect of the system so far (Source: GameFAQs Xbox Board)

Frozen
Sep 22nd, 2002, 12:12 AM
My hands are little, as a fact. They're not tiny, but little. The X Box controller indeed feels big, but not huge IMO. But definitely I'm just not used to it.. Yesterday I played DOA 3 and I got my arse kicked due to the fact that the buttons were quite different from PS 2, and the feeling is weird when you press them, kinda. And as Harry said, the Dual Shock controllers are indeed a gift. I love those controllers.

IAs others have said, I guess it's just a matter of tastes and personal "feelings"

twiztidfreak69er
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_XZ84
ive had countless PS2 controllers break from a simple whack against the floor, most recently due to the playing of "STUNTMAN", but you can tell itd take more htna that to finish odd an X Box controller
:laugh: taking fits from a game huh? lmmfao same as me done broke plenty of atari nintendo ps ps2 etc.. controllers lmao but ive fount out more recentlly ...just cuss the game out if you have parents that dont like you cussing take the others advices use a pillow although i havent yet broke my new ps2 controller and it takes a hard and i mean hard slam to break em trust me I should know i get pissed at games easilly :laugh: BTW I dont think theres really ne probs with the X-box controller since especially since their comming out with a standard imo

Frozen
Nov 17th, 2002, 04:13 PM
whoa, old topic, still, now that I have an X Box, Ig to it with both a big controller and a s controller.

all I have to say is that the regular controller, feels so POWERFUL, specially when you play HALO with it. Probably the best controller I ever had for a FPS.

The S controller does not give me that feel of "power" but is much more dinamic, I bought it specially for fighting games, in which I think the regular controller fails because of the location of the buttons.

And as a side note, I have experienced that Dreamcast controllers are probably the worse, specially for fighting games, they suck.