PDA

View Full Version : Instinct vs. intel.

007_JamesBond
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:14 AM
what do you trust the most your instinct or the facts? Do you trust your self or information?

Hylas
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Instict can be a support, but I don't think you can only rely on instict, especially nowadays.

007_JamesBond
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
well here is how I see it I know about things before I do them but if there is a sudden change on what is going on then I trust my instinct

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Humans dont have instincts. Just a brain.

Cept' maybe the need to screw, and the need for social interaction (which is debateable).

Gadzoox
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:07 PM
I personally trust my instinct moreso than given information. I mean, who knows where the information in question came from?! It could very easily have been made up to sound 'real' by some twit.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:24 PM
This is why youre all so blind and swallow whatever garbage you WANT to belive.

Hylas
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Asylum, I don't think you have the right to call others blind only because they have a different opinion. Adding to that, humans do have instict, not only a brain, like every other animal, but they just can control the greatest part of these insticts most of the time thanks to brain usage. Go read some scientific magazine before you say stuff like that. :laugh:

007_JamesBond
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:24 PM
I respect your opinion assylum, but to call one only to have a brain and no instinct, is taking away one of the only facts that makes them human

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:32 PM
One of the only facts that makes them human? Sorry, I don't get it.

By the way, what I said makes perfect sense. Ignoring facts and going after what you think is your "instinct" makes you blind.

Rei
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Istincts are a basilar part of human being. As Hylas said, humans have the power to control them thru their brains, but this doesn't mean facts and brain are the most important elements of human nature. I think that's what James Bond was saying in his post.

So both of those aspects are equally important IMO: you can't act without taking into consideration facts and analyzing them, but without instinct man is nothing but a mechanical creature.

happy_doughnut
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Just as Rei said : it is a combination of both. You can't fully rely upon facts and numbers without taking your instincts into consideration and same goes vice-versa.

Personally, I think I need to trust myself first. That is, my ' instincts '. After all, if you can't trust yourself, how can you possibly trust what others convey as ' right ' ?

Oh and BTW, I'm sorry but we do have ' instincts ' whether you want to believe it or not :) .

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Eh, what instincts would those be? Example please.

Rei
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Examples?
Survival instinct: the one which in normal conditions tells you to not jump off a rock or tells you to grab anything in case you accidently fall from the rock mentioned above :laugh:

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:07 PM
No no. But those instincts do not interfere with facts. See.. if you jump off a building you will die, it's a "fact". But if you jump to the conclution that what you think is an instinct is true and it clouds judgement and facts.. well.. that makes you close minded and "blind"

Rei
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:12 PM
For this reason the instinct tells you to not jump, because that you're going to die is a fact... In that case the instinct decides. If you have suicidal tendencies, you use your brain to suffocate your instinct to live.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Suicidal tendencies should be enough proof to tell you that instincts are for dogs. A person bases if he should live or not with his noggin'.

Rei
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Not all people have suicidal tendencies... and even the ones who have them, are often indecisive because the survival instinct keeps on telling them they should live.
Instincts are not for dogs, simply you have to mix brain and instinct to be a balanced person.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
It's not an instinct. I shouldnt have to explain why suicidal people are indecisive, its a pretty big decision.

Webster says: "A largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason"

See.. it can't involve reason. Hence what i said:

This is why youre all so blind and swallow whatever garbage you WANT to belive.

If it involves facts they ignore it and call it an insticnt, justifing their wrongness... I based all these posts on religion, you see.

007_JamesBond
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:02 PM
If you say that about instinct, then how do the animals with low mental capasity, or the early humans who could hardly comprehend things let alone think using intel. they used to survive their instincts. with out them early humans would have died off

AsylumEscapee
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 007_JamesBond
If you say that about instinct, then how do the animals with low mental capasity, or the early humans who could hardly comprehend things let alone think using intel. they used to survive their instincts. with out them early humans would have died off

I didn’t say animals don’t have instincts. I just said that instincts can’t conflict with intelligence because, by definition, instincts don’t involve reason. And early humans weren’t the same as they are now, both mentally and physically. If you drop a baby in the forest you'll realize that his instincts won’t take him very far.

You know, I can’t even be bothered to argue with you. I cant make someone like you realize why "they used to survive their instincts" is wrong on so many levels. You’re obviously just typing whatever crap pops up into your mind.:disturb:

Gadzoox
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:10 AM
So serious about this. Why can't we all just get along? :peoples:

This is just all about opinions. No one can have a wrong opinion on something, it's their own personal views on the subject in question. So don't you all get your panties in a bunch over this! M'kay now?! :nerv:

AsylumEscapee
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Gadzoox
So serious about this. Why can't we all just get along? :peoples:

This is just all about opinions. No one can have a wrong opinion on something, it's their own personal views on the subject in question. So don't you all get your panties in a bunch over this! M'kay now?! :nerv:

*Shuts up*:phew:

007_JamesBond
Jul 14th, 2002, 01:41 PM
fine then lets start over, Asylum why dont you think that humans have instinct?

AsylumEscapee
Jul 14th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Oh, forget it.

007_JamesBond
Jul 14th, 2002, 02:47 PM
No I would like to hear what you think about that matter, hands down no tricks, you would make a good lawyer from what I have heard so far, lol. come on

AsylumEscapee
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Then go back and re-read it.

Basically I'm saying that you can't compare instincts to intelligence because instincts are unalterable tendencies that don't involve reason.

What you call an instinct is just a first reaction, a thought. It's not an instinct. And trusting your first thought without giving it proper... well... thought, is just plain dumb. The very few instincts that humans DO have are very basic and unalterable.

So you and everyone who posted that they either trust their instincts or given facts is wrong.

Cannibal Clown
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:51 PM
We have very strong instinctive qualitiesa that most of us don't even realize. Take for example, one of the most basic of basic, flight of fight reactions. When an animal is in danger, dependingon if it's an aggressive of defensive animal will show various changes in there body when in danger. A deer, or a rabbit will get a strong addrenilin rush, there hearing and eye sight will become very intence, and the muscles in their legs will tense up in preperation for excape. While an animal such as a hear will get an astonishingly large amount of energy simply for a few minutes in order for them to survive.

We have these very same characteristics. It also is a reason for stress and uncontrolable testosterone reflexes. When we are in a bind,or something wiyth our job, school, or anything that leaves us anxious or tense will send messages to our brain saying that we are in danger, with is really nothing more than stress. But because of this, we begin to hear everything around us more intensly, and also our sight is magnified as well. Our arms and legs tense up, and we become more aggresive to others around us. we don't notice it, but our bodies are preparing for a fight or flight menouver, but since nothing is wrong, we just end up useing a lot of extra energy, and we become irritated by all around us. We don't get any sleep in this condition because we are being told by our bodies that we are in danger andf that we need to be awake and aware of what's around us. If you rthink about it it makes a lot of sence. Why we act the way we act when we are stressed, because our bodies are sending us miss information called the fight or flight thingy.

I don't know if i explained that well enough or not, but there are docters who specialize in this study and help people with their stress because this can leave people hurting others because of their odd will to hurt or defend theirselfs.

There is also the whole puberty thing. We suddenly get the need to procreate, and we want to engage in sexual intercourse with another of the opposite sex. This is simply because our primortal selves are saying that it is time for us to create a family for ourselves. That is why at a certain age, the whole concept of love and passion leaves, and all we want in a person with a good body, and someone who is fun to f*ck around with in bed. Same with the need to eat a lot. It's not just because we are growing, but in a males case, the larger one will be the dominate one, and will have the reign over others, in charge and having the women by his side. It's all instinctive.

The thing with fathers seeming to play phisical games with their child when mother will want to have fun with a kid by learning and things that are usually eye stimulated. A mother is meant to tewach their children to be able to taker care of a family and a father is meant to teach a child how to defend themselfs and to protect their family. It's all instinctive.

This is all disputable, and i'm a very dumb person, so it's hard to say that listening to me would be wize on your behalf, but i think that what i'm saying is somewhat right. But what do i know. It's considered bad for your health to listen to me. So i'll shiut up now.

:P

Gadzoox
Jul 14th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Perfect legit examples Cannibal! Sorry Asylum, but I still believe in instincts!

A personal example of instinct was when my brother was really mad at something. He tends to get fairly... violent at times. Two of his friends were over this particular instance. I was sitting at the far end of the couch and as soon as they came in they /knew/ he was in one of those moods. They came right over and one sat beside me on the couch, and the other sat in the chair on the other side of me. It was as if they were protecting me from him. After my parents got home (in about 10 mins) they went right off to check on m bro. Pure instinct on their behalf. I felt so loved! :laugh:

AsylumEscapee
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Cannibal, what you've said is all wrong and even a bit sexist. Not everything puts us in a fight of flight situation. When you have a CHOICE, its no longer an instinct.

Cannibal Clown
Jul 15th, 2002, 05:10 PM
I don't think i said anything that was sexist. I just stated that there is a well recognizable aspect in parents that show how each sex handles and takes care of their child. A male figure is meant to teach a child how to hunt, and defend themselfs. Like cubs playing with each other, but it still looks like they are fighting. That is what a father figure is doing with a child. Son or daughter. It's just not as realizable anymore, because now it's just not manly for a dad to be playing dolls, or something like that with their child.

A women will usually be found holding their child, singing to them. Taking them to the park, showing them all of the colors, animals, other people. Keeping the child neer by, teaching them how to be good gentile child. So that they will be able to grow up with a knowlege of taking care of their children when they grow up as well. Even though a lot of parents don't go by these rules, it's still very noticable.

And the whole male working out, becoming stronger, being more testosterone driven, defensive, and intollerable to other males. This is a survival, or somewhat of an alfa prime reflex that all males will usually go for as they grow up. being the leader of the pack for wolves or lions is found in all males. It just shows more for some than others.

I can'treally stress these points any more without repeating myself. But all in all we are animals, and we all have instincs, from when we are born till we die. And in many instances, we die in a state of showing our instincs. So stop saying that we don't have them. Because we do.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 15th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown
I don't think i said anything that was sexist. I just stated that there is a well recognizable aspect in parents that show how each sex handles and takes care of their child. A male figure is meant to teach a child how to hunt, and defend themselfs. Like cubs playing with each other, but it still looks like they are fighting. That is what a father figure is doing with a child. Son or daughter. It's just not as realizable anymore, because now it's just not manly for a dad to be playing dolls, or something like that with their child.

A women will usually be found holding their child, singing to them. Taking them to the park, showing them all of the colors, animals, other people. Keeping the child neer by, teaching them how to be good gentile child. So that they will be able to grow up with a knowlege of taking care of their children when they grow up as well. Even though a lot of parents don't go by these rules, it's still very noticable.

And the whole male working out, becoming stronger, being more testosterone driven, defensive, and intollerable to other males. This is a survival, or somewhat of an alfa prime reflex that all males will usually go for as they grow up. being the leader of the pack for wolves or lions is found in all males. It just shows more for some than others.

I can'treally stress these points any more without repeating myself. But all in all we are animals, and we all have instincs, from when we are born till we die. And in many instances, we die in a state of showing our instincs. So stop saying that we don't have them. Because we do.

Those arent instincts. Instincts are not alterable, and those are.

Cannibal Clown
Jul 15th, 2002, 07:45 PM
It's instinctive for a dog to bark at an enemy, but if one is trained not to, or taught it to be wrong it will stop. Will it not. But the act to bark is still instinctive. Any animal can be taught to go againsed its instincts. It's just that no one is there to teach it so. A human is taught by it's moralities, and it's culture. We have a higher level of thinking, laws, morals, these go above our instincts. So we don't act like animals. Name one instincs that an animal has that it can't be taught otherwise. SDuch as the previous example of a dog that barks. The only thing we have to do to stop it is to teach it otherwise. In school we our taught proper edicit, and manners, and all of that other crap. These deprive us of our natural primortal INSTINCTS. Sure, we have a choice, because we have been taught that things such as fighting will have consequences, and we will have to abide by our own morals and rules to keep us from living those consequenses. We have instincts, but we also have a higher level of thinking that goes beyond our instincts.

So stop contridicting the obvious.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 15th, 2002, 07:57 PM
You can teach a dog not to bark at a person, but if it still belives its an enemy it will still bark. And try to put a dog in a cage full of *****es (its not vulgar, I mean it literally) and tell it not to hump away. Either way, we both know thats not what the thread starter meant when he posted the topic "Insticnt vs. intell." I guess it all depends on your definition of Instinct. Also, I lost interest in this thread a while ago.

Cannibal Clown
Jul 16th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Well, i guess i'll just leave this thread with one last comment.

To me, instincts are natural reflexes and actions we take in reaction to certain events that effect our current state and enviornment. I've been going by this idea when stating everyone of my claimes, so if you have another idea for what insticts are, then maybe to your theory, you are correct, but to that hypothisis i just made, all of my claimes are correct, and my theory's are justified in all i say. So if you don't second the idea, and believe that instincts are classified as something different, then i'll leave it at that. I'm very respectfull to others opinions, and usually stray from arguing, but when i believe that i am right, i will defend my ideas till i am saticfied.

Sorry if i agravated you with the short argument we had in this thread. I just wanted to get my point fully accross, so don't take this to the offencive end.

All in all, i'm done. Now it's time for me to move on to the next thread, and if our ideas and beliefs happen to cross again, we'll just have to go through all of this crap again. So till then...

AsylumEscapee
Jul 16th, 2002, 01:05 PM
....Finally.