PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance

Sid554
Jul 7th, 2002, 10:53 PM
I don't know how anyone else feels about this,but personally I feel cheated. After having shelled out $50 for a game that Hideo Kojima himself calls "incomplete", (no doubt due to not entirely unfounded criticism from fans over the whole Raiden issue) we now have to pay another $50 to enjoy the "complete" version.
IMO, Konami should recall everyones copies of MGS2 and give them copies of Substance in its place,but of course that will never happen. I'm curious to hear how other people feel about this.
Your thoughts please.

Ice Cold
Jul 8th, 2002, 12:06 AM
I do think it sucks. I would love to play Snake in the Plant Chapter, or have some REAL firepower in the Tanker Chapter, but I can't afford it!

It would be cool if it was just an add on to the original for a smaller price, but that wouldn't work. Especially since it is coming out for Xbox and PC.

Though I love MGS2 I doubt if I will buy MGS2 Substance, unless all you guys give it a good rating.

RobHardo
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:03 AM
I totally agree with you dude, it sucks

Beretta55
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:24 AM
*smacks everybody* dont even diss metalgear!!!! even if it will suck dont diss it!! *smacks everybody again* my rampage ends there for know:laugh:

MakgSnake
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM
He Said That He Couldn't Finish The WHOLE Game In 2001.. Cause The Game Was Behind Schedule...... And HE WANTED To Release The Game In 2001 (YEAR OF THE SNAKE IN CHINEESE Calendar)......... So He Just Released The GAME (The Whole STORY Version Of The GAME) But Extra Versions Couldn't COME IN ...

And I Think Its BETTER........Cause If Everything Would Have Been Released In 2001 November...Then There Wouldn't Have Been ANOTHER Metal Gear GAME THIS YEAR........ And WE HAD To Wait Another 3 FU**ING Years FOR MGS3! :(

But We Dont So.:D

Sid554
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
He Said That He Couldn't Finish The WHOLE Game In 2001.. Cause The Game Was Behind Schedule...... And HE WANTED To Release The Game In 2001 (YEAR OF THE SNAKE IN CHINEESE Calendar)......... So He Just Released The GAME (The Whole STORY Version Of The GAME) But Extra Versions Couldn't COME IN ...

:D

So you don't think it (Substance) has anything to do with the fans not liking Raiden?

Ice Cold
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Good point. There has been an public outcry about Raiden's dominant role (or role at all) in MGS2 and don't think Konami didn't hear about it either.

Frozen
Jul 17th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Well, I don't know about it, it kinda sucks if it's gonna be the same game just with some extra things. However, if it's going to be sequel and all it's going to be cool. And definitely, the fact that Raiden's role was the dominant really sucked, however, I think the guy was cool, but if he was to be used just for a couple of hours and that's it. Snake will rule for ever. :D

Evil Parrot
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:11 AM
The fact that Konami would bring out a special edition just to please the fans is a good thing.

How many games would you like to see with a special edition?

Imagine the headline;

Squaresoft have just announced a special edition of FF7. They will be adding new areas, new weapons, characters and bosses. They will also spruce up the graphics. They felt that FF7 was slightly incomplete and wanted to reward the fans with some extras.

Who would complain about that?

MakgSnake
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Sid554
So you don't think it (Substance) has anything to do with the fans not liking Raiden?
It Was Something Totally New.....It DID Shock EVERYSINGLE HumanBeing Who Played The Game. And That Was The GOAL...To Surprise Everyone.

Just Keep In Mind That "Sons Of Liberty" Cannot Be Complete Without Raiden. ....Jack Is The PART Infact The HEART Of The Game. Snake Is The Body!

And As Kojima Was Going To Release Substance ANYWAY Cause He Wanted To ADD In The Features Which He COULDN"T In "SOL" He As Well....Gave ALL Of Us A Chance To Play As Snake. Cause (I Think) Not Because We DIDN'T Like Raiden, But Because We Missed Snake A Little More Then He Thought We Would!

And Trust Me Guys.....Everyones Gonna Love Substance.!.

Frozen
Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:07 PM
I definitely know that I will love that game, and thatI'll buy it as soon as it appears.

And check these out

MGS Substance English Website (http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2_sub/english/index.html)

The Video!!!!! ^_^ (http://jpn01.konami.co.jp/movie/mgs2_sub/mgs2s_e3_en.asf)

bellsdelsol
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:54 PM
All I have to say is it better have a lot of VR missions before I fork out another $50 for a game I already have. And as much as I don't like Raiden I won't pay again just to play the game as snake.

Frozen
Aug 19th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Well, at least it's known that it will have about 200 VR missions :D But I am sure it won't be just a thing of "playing it as Snake" but more than that. We'll have to see, but I am 99% sure that I will buy that game.

bellsdelsol
Aug 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Well I didn't here about the 200 VR missions. If there is that many I may just have to get my hands on a copy after all. I don't know we'll see.

RichHo
Aug 20th, 2002, 08:11 AM
i think they shud have released it as one instead of trying to be so symbolistic and releasing it in the year of the snake........but i suppose its down to how much money they can make in the end, and if that means releasing 2 separate versions then that doesnt really matter to them, coz we kno that theyll both be well good ne way.

bcats
Aug 20th, 2002, 01:57 PM
any 1 that doesnt get this game is going to be very sorry

Sid554
Aug 20th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Wow. Someone dragged up my old thread. Anyway, I started this thread before I got my X-box, so I'm thinking I'll buy Substance for that instead. I'll be interested in seeing how much better it is graphically in comparison to the PS2 version.

Frozen
Aug 20th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by bellsdelsol
Well I didn't here about the 200 VR missions. If there is that many I may just have to get my hands on a copy after all. I don't know we'll see.

Just check that link and see for yourself what will be new on the game. I at first thought it was going to be lame but now it's really tempting me to buy it. Damn Kojima.

Substance (http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2_sub/english/index.html)

bellsdelsol
Aug 21st, 2002, 08:08 AM
Oh yah I think I am definetly getting this game now. And thank you very much Frozen.

RichHo
Aug 21st, 2002, 08:31 AM
Whoa! Substance looks so cool.......Im tempted to buy it, but not yet convinced, I'll have to see a motion demo before I make a decision on whether to get it.

Frozen
Aug 21st, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by bellsdelsol
Oh yah I think I am definetly getting this game now. And thank you very much Frozen.

No prob man, I'm always happy to help if i can :D

RichHo, you may want to check out this video. Just go to the site, and then click in the first link that you will see. Footage from the E3 ^_^

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2_sub/english/topics.html

hector031
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:23 AM
I read that Kojima said the original story wasn't going to be touched. You would still play as Raiden during the second part. From what I read here, you'll be able to play as Snake during the second part now? I thought it was going to be a rehash of "Sons of Liberty" with some extras added to it.

Jason

MakgSnake
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Yup, there is not "Other side of the story" here, may be in the Ps2 Version but not in the Xbox.

And Snake's Tales is only text, no voice overs.