PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

Sword 4 Hire
Jul 7th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Which do you prefer when playing an RPG...do you prefer the old school sprites...or do you like your characters in actual proportion?

I personally like my RPG's old school. It gives them more of a fantasy feel, I like it that way because it shows how your focusing more on the story than on how flashy it looks. I may be alone on this one but what do you guys think?

Black Heart
Jul 7th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire

I personally like my RPG's old school. It gives them more of a fantasy feel, I like it that way because it shows how your focusing more on the story than on how flashy it looks. I may be alone on this one but what do you guys think?

I completely agree with you and I think some recent RPGs lost some of their atmosphere with the more realistic look.

Sleazy P Martini
Jul 7th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Not me. I'm so glad were coming out of the 2d mushroom people era.

Gadzoox
Jul 7th, 2002, 10:41 PM
I'd have to go with Sleazy on this one.
Though the old school ones were cutesy and all, they do get tiring. I prefer to have my fantasy games as life-like as possible, adding to the /feel/ of the game and giving tons of feeling to the atmosphere. I find it extreemely hard to take a game seriously (I don't mean /too/ seriously here, I just find it harder to believe.) when thse tiny, large headed characters look so darned funny!

Just my opinion.

Sword 4 Hire
Jul 7th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Black Heart

I completely agree with you and I think some recent RPGs lost some of their atmosphere with the more realistic look.

I couldn't agree more...take FFX for example...one of my favorite games, I love it, and the realism is a big part of it but it kinda lost that FF feel to it for me...

Ice Cold
Jul 8th, 2002, 12:12 AM
It doesn't really matter to me. What I really want is a great in depth story along with likeable characters. But if the character models are realistic, it's a nice plus.

I have yet to actually play an RPG so I can't comment about the atmosphere.

RobHardo
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:02 AM
in my personal opinion i fully agree with sword 4 hire, but i do kind of enjoy flashy games though, take x-box for example you get crappy games but you get awesome graphics so its a lose win situation there. but i like he traditionals better

thenagan81
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Well with me I pretty much like the newer ones with the graphics when i see FF X and game like that my eyes bright up and I can't wait to play them so I'll go that way with it

Gaming is life the rest is just details

Currently playing: Grand Theft Auto III, FF X

Sid554
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:39 PM
I like both styles, as they both offer a different experience to the gamer.

Infernal Mass
Jul 18th, 2002, 10:33 AM
this is a no brainer, the new games look great compared to the old ones. Everything has evolved for the better.

Although, nostalgia is a powerful thing..i think that's what makes me pop in lunar from time to time. It was the first real rpg i ever played for segaCD

Macceh^
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:50 PM
I think if the models are done right and the story fits, then yeh nice graphcis are a welcome addition. Your right about the need to focus on the plost and graphics arent everything, but you ahve to understand the gaming is evolving at an alarming pace. Lush graphics sell so companies are going to try and make them as classy as possibile.

As for FFX i thought the plot was exellent and the graphics didnt overshadow the plot. Perhaps it was a tad linear but thats the way it would of had to be done seeing as it was just a set pilgrimage route.

I especially liked the begining in Besaid the waterfalls just made the atmospherics exceed anything ive ever seen.

Frozen
Aug 5th, 2002, 03:30 PM
I'm very picky on video games when it comes to graphics and sound (but specially graphics) I choose a RPG with good graphics than a RPG with sucky graphics. I don't really care if the graphics are 2D or 3D, just that they are nice to look graphics. Of course I don't judge a game just because of it's graphics. The story line and all that are equally important to me.

AsylumEscapee
Aug 5th, 2002, 04:07 PM
I would like to see the return of FF7 style character models.

RichHo
Aug 21st, 2002, 08:03 AM
I like the proportional figures like you see in FFX......it makes the game more interesting, whereas I feel the old-school figures are funny at first but they get boring I think.

Lost_myth
Aug 24th, 2002, 09:05 AM
yeah, what you said.

They can be all tiny, but I want to be able to see their faces or what they look like.

I'd rather have something like ff7, a good plot rather than something that looks tight and doesn't.

Frozen
Sep 20th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Yeah, but what if you have something that looks tight, and IS tight? Like, Final Fantasy X as a great example. I definitely go for the better graphics than old and sucky ones. As long as the storyline and gameplay are good, I don'
t see why choose a game with ugly graphics than one with awsome graphics.

Now, I'm not saying that FF7's graphics sucked, they were awsome for it's time, but I definitely don't want to go backwards, ya know? AS Digi mortal said, games have evolved for better, I think.

Sword 4 Hire
Sep 21st, 2002, 01:53 PM
I agree with a lot of you. I like RPG's that were made awhile back and helped pave the road for games like FFVII etc. It almost brings you back to RPG's roots and when you love em as much as I do you appreciate that more. Right now I'm playing FFVI and I'm loving it. The feel of it and the graphics giving it that almost pure feeling. I can't stand RPG's that were made in this time where we're able to create FFX graphics but they come up short. Those type of graphics bother me, but for graphics that were made a decade ago and were the best of its kind in the day I don't consider sucky, in fact I have more respect for them...

But I am beginning to look forward now, and I'm looking forward to this season's great new list of RPG's, so my opinion may change in the future...