PDA

View Full Version : Read This, you should know if you don't!

kamari-ice
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:04 PM
Its not that important, but well here it is.
An asteroid almost hit us last week.
It was 75,000 feet away from us.
Thats scary, and thats the closest one of those things ever got close to us.
Many people think that the money should go to the war, and not seeing if we go asteriods heading for us.
I say, don't worry about the war if we are all gonna go extinct.
And they didn't realize that it was close until 3 days after.
Thats SCARY!

Cannibal Clown
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:18 PM
I never heard of this. Where did you hear it from, and what was the size and speed of the asteroid? I'm curious.

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:53 PM
Whoa...that's crazy

Hadoken
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:14 PM
erm.. money going into shooting down asteroids in stead of war?
hmmz.. u havent been on the happy grass, now have u?:laugh:
Asteroids and meteors constantly go into our atmosphere. But the thing is that most of them are not large enough to make it through, since practically all of them get burned on the way down.
The chances of one actually making it down to earth and still be large enough to cause large scale damage is quite slim.
So its not really something to be worrying about.

btw: an asteroid the size of a football that hits the earth could probably wipe out a city/country. But I dont think many could last that long and still stay that size. plus there is a slim chance that one that big will head towards us.
And maybe putting some money into preventing them is good. but not putting money into war might not be a good idea either.

Harry
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Hadoken
erm.. money going into shooting down asteroids in stead of war?
hmmz.. u havent been on the happy grass, now have u?:laugh:
Asteroids and meteors constantly go into our atmosphere. But the thing is that most of them are not large enough to make it through, since practically all of them get burned on the way down.
The chances of one actually making it down to earth and still be large enough to cause large scale damage is quite slim.
So its not really something to be worrying about.

That day, dinosaurs were saying the same thing. :laugh:

Hadoken
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:48 PM
:laugh:
eh, dont worry dude. they lived for billions of years!
so we'll probably wont have to worry for quite a long while.
thats unless we keep killing the o-zone layer. then we better get worried about that, plus a whole crap load of other problems that go along with it.

Rohamgh
Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:55 AM
^^ye thats right. but you know every 100 million years (or something i don't remember the exact thingy) Earth passes through one of the arms of the Galaxy (due to everything rotatin an' all that) so the frequency of large asteroid impacts increases...thereby causing Dinosaur Death, or the same thing that made the dinosaurs what they were; a large extinction at the end of the cretacious period. Every few million years, there has been a mass extintion....i just don't remember when the next one is scheduled.

And hadoken...they lived for millions of years not billions. I don't wanna sound like a dork but i am sensetive on the subject of dinos :cool: :laugh: the earths only been round for bout 4.5 bil years anyways.

Cannibal Clown
Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:17 PM
Actually,there is a proton star that is also orbiting our sun, it makes a complete rotation about ever couple million years, and at a certain point of its rotation, it gets close to our solar system, and pulls on the asteroid belt, causing the asteroids to fly toward the sun. And we are on the path that they travel. Sh*t huh?

Infernal Mass
Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
:shock: woah! that was a close one..the worlds superpowers should really get together and make somesorta plan to prevent a catastrophe from happening.

I think that's what the world needs right now a good project that would benefit all mankind. The dinosaurs never stood chance but i think we are fortunate and wise enough to prevent something like that happening to us. We just need to get the best minds from all over the world to come together and draw out some kinda plan. There's enough problems on earth as it is. We don't need to worry about a big chunk of rock flying out of space and owning us all.

Faile
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:18 PM
sometimes i wonder if we as humanity deserve to survive on this planet. maybe our time is up .

i saw in the newspapers about the near impact though. made me think "whoa" .

edit : must remember to not only post first line of my point .

Black Heart
Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Faile
sometimes i wonder if we as humanity deserve to survive on this planet. maybe our time is up .

I wonder who's coming next: first dinos, then humanity and after that....?
Scary stuff to think about!:shock:

Spirit
Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:32 AM
while it is true that such an asteroid could hit earth I'm not worried. We shall evolve and let the chips fall, or in this case, asteroids =P

kamari-ice
Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
It was 75,000 miles away from us.
Techinical mishap.
So that is like the size of Texas away from us.
And why should we spend money on the war, if there is an asteriod coming.
We shouldn't worry about something tiny, when we are all gonna die someday by an asteriod.
But that was close.