PDA

View Full Version : Who is the real "author" among them?

Ruby Moon
Jun 21st, 2002, 03:05 PM
Who do you think is the real author of a movie?
The director? The ones who write the screenplay? The producer?
Do you think actors can change the atmosphere and the content of a movie?

I think it depends very much on the type of the movie. For some of them the director is the main author and the producer is only the one who spends money on it. In many other movies, especially big productions and movies with less story and more special effects the producer is more important than the director. The screenplayers IMO only provides the directors and the producers with the matter (apart from cases in which screenplayer is also director or producer of the movie).

Rohamgh
Jun 21st, 2002, 03:14 PM
in so-called "classics" the writer is the most important, in movies such as Jurrasic Park or even Star Wars, however, there is an equal importance between the director and the writer. in purely action films, (eg Predator), the director is more important. But all the same, the writer is very important in all genres.

the producer....well, he's just the money.

Ruby Moon
Jun 21st, 2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Rohamgh

the producer....well, he's just the money.

Well, let's talk about cases like Star Wars movies and many others. Star Wars executive producer is George Lucas, who is not also the director of all the movies of the series, and not even the writer of the screenplay (because it's written that the movies are "based" on George Lucas story, but the screenplay is fro other persons). In this case I think the producer is much more important than the other so called authors, in fact you call Star Wars a "George Lucas movie"... Also for animation, the director is not that important. You call some cartoon movies "Disney movies" even if only the production is by Disney, not the direction or the screenplay. In many cases like these ones the producer is not "only money".

Rei
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:02 PM
Sadly, too often producers are the real authors of the movie. That's why many productions lack of some originality.

Black Heart
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:15 PM
I know that this is not true for all kind of movies, but to me the real author must be the director.

Rohamgh
Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Moon

Well, let's talk about cases like Star Wars movies and many others. Star Wars executive producer is George Lucas, who is not also the director of all the movies of the series, and not even the writer of the screenplay (because it's written that the movies are "based" on George Lucas story, but the screenplay is fro other persons). In this case I think the producer is much more important than the other so called authors, in fact you call Star Wars a "George Lucas movie"... Also for animation, the director is not that important. You call some cartoon movies "Disney movies" even if only the production is by Disney, not the direction or the screenplay. In many cases like these ones the producer is not "only money".

Star Wars couldn't be anything without George Lucas' story. think about it, which one of these movies would be good w/out their stories: Jurrassic Park? Terminator? Predator even? Spiderman? even that horrible AI?? the author is very, very, important.

'sides, all the SW movies were GL directs come out betta

Black Heart
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
AI ain't horrible IMO.

And anyway, the producers are the ones who decide which things to put in the movie and which not. The freedom of the other authors is limited by their will.

Reid
Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Well, the director is very important, but the writer also is. I think some of the best cinema is when the director captures the writer's orginal intentions.

I know that when I write I can see how something would play out in action, so if I ever made a movie out of any of my work I would have to direct it.

Also, many great movies are the result of writer/directors. Some examples are Quentin Tarentino and Kevin Smith movies.

I just feel that in order for the original story to be captured the correct way the writer and director must either be the same person or work together very closely.