PDA

View Full Version : For anime experts...

Hylas
Jun 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Do you like series involving yaoi or do you hate them? Frankly I find 'em annoying and useless, but many girls like them.
If you like this genre, could you please tell me what's so good in this it? I really don't understand...

Cannibal Clown
Jun 19th, 2002, 03:48 PM
My best friend is pbsessed with the thought that the gundam wing boys are Yaoi. She lookes up all the funny little fanfics of them,and laughs about it. She draws up her own little mangas about them and thinks that they are all (or atleast heero and duo)
in love with each other.

But personally,I hate that crap. the worst was in the movie Project A-Ko. where the main villians ultimate goal was to get the loving effection of some little girl who she saw at school one day. Of coarse,at timesitdoes add humor to a lot of series. Like outlaw star,with fred and his fantasys about Gene. Cracks me up.:laugh:

merylsilverburg
Jun 20th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Ew, ew, ew! I hate yaoi, it's really quite gross. Same thing as the "girls with girls" thing (I forgot the name). I dunno, there's nothing so great about in IMO, but a LOT of people love that stuff. There are so many doujinshis on it and they're so popular with the Japanese, but it's just really sickening to me. Sorry Hylas, I can't tell you what's so great about it because this stuff doesn't interest me. :blergh:

Rei
Jun 21st, 2002, 04:37 PM
I don't like this genre either. As meryl said, I find it gross! In Japan they have lots of sub-genres like this one that are not so much appreciated abroad.

Qjij_jijQ
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:58 PM
* enters the non-expert *

Could you guys tell me that yaoi means ?!?
I know the thread is for experts, but I always love to learn... :D

Black Heart
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:09 PM
I think yaoi (or either aoi) is the way they (Japanese people) call a genre focused on love between men. It's appreciated especially by girls audience...
As meryl said there's also something similar regarding girls, but I don't remember the name.

Frozen
Jun 25th, 2002, 01:17 AM
As Yaoi is used for animes involving fahgots, I think that Yuri is used for animes involving lesbians. I find them disgusting. :blergh:

*edit* And hey, I'm far from being an expert but anyways I thought I could help.

Macceh^
Jun 25th, 2002, 01:59 AM
yep same here :/

merylsilverburg
Jun 25th, 2002, 04:49 AM
I think Frozen is right....yuri I think, refers to girls :love: girls situations. BTW, Black Heart, it's yaoi not aoi because aoi is the color "blue" in Japanese. :)

Cannibal Clown
Jun 25th, 2002, 10:08 PM
You must speak japanese prettyy well. You're always commeneting in japanese, and It's really cool. I didn't even remember what aoi was until you said that.

merylsilverburg
Jun 25th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown
You must speak japanese prettyy well. You're always commeneting in japanese, and It's really cool. I didn't even remember what aoi was until you said that.

No, no, you give me too much credit. I can't speak Japanese to save my life, seriously. I only know a few words here and there and I just like to use them. I only know that aoi is "blue" because I remember I liked the sound of it. I think you know more Japanese than I do, so I'm the one feeling kinda dumb. :heh:

Qjij_jijQ
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Don't put yourself down like that meryl !
I dont know a word of Japanese... Compared to me, you're a goddess ! :D

But, I'm the god of french ;)

Frozen
Jun 26th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Well, then I guess I'm the god of.......errrr.....nothing :( Only Spanish but that is because it is my native language :right: and I still have to improve a lot my English because it sucks :D

Cannibal Clown
Jun 26th, 2002, 05:22 PM
I'm almost forced to be able to speak japanese. One of my best friends can speak it more fluently than anyone I know. I'm told that I have to learn the language so that when we talk to eachother, I can join in on the conversation in japanese, because my friend usually out of the blue just starts speaking it, for fun. It helps out with lerarning I guess.

All I can do is greet people though. I know sentence structure, and a few common words. So it's hard to keep up.

merylsilverburg
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Ah, Qjij I used to learn French, but my teachers all suck, so I became uninterested and now I'm into Japanese so....:heh:

Frozen: In a way, I kinda want to learn Spanish, because the place where I work has three-four Mexican workers and my b*tchy cousin is there trying to compete over me about who knows more Spanish. I don't know a lick of it and she's trying to learn, but she can't remember sh*t.

CC: Is your best friend that chick? That's cool she knows how to speak Japanese fluently....I'm so envious. :weep: I'm also envious of you too, because at least you know how to greet people and not feel embarrassed. If I learned anything Japanese, I'd be too embarrassed to fling it out because I'm afraid they might think "....Uh....okay...." :weep: :heh:

Back to the topic: Yes, [I]yaoi[/] is gross, but if you're a fan of this stuff, then feel free. Just don't expect me to watch any of it....too creepy for me. :peoples:

Pu the Owl
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:49 PM
But I've heard other people calling them aoi, not only Black Heart: why? Is it possible, considering in Japanese is very common, that aoi for blue is written with different ideograms than aoi used for these cases?

merylsilverburg
Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:12 AM
Hmm....Fortune, I think there could be two answers: 1) When the Japanese pronounce yaoi they could be saying it rather quickly, that it kinda sounds like aoi, so then it gives off the impression that it is aoi instead of yaoi. 2) Maybe it is indeed aoi instead of yaoi, but I'm still pretty sure it's with the "y" because then, it'd be rather confusing to know what word their referring to if aoi is the color "blue" and the "guys+guys" situation.