PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading lists

RobHardo
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:13 PM
any high school people get these every year i got mine 4 days ago and i have to read the diary o fanne frank fahreinheit 451, and the great gatsby. anyone else go ta more harsh list???

Harry
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite novels... you should love it, and I always thought it could be a good screenplay for a videogame.

Pu the Owl
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Farenheit is great: it's an amazing sci-fi (not only sci-fi to tell the truth) book.

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 17th, 2002, 07:17 PM
No...I don't get those...but I got a Summer Video game list that I gotta get started on

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 17th, 2002, 08:57 PM
diary of anne frank!? i read that book in 8th grade dogg........its alright, the movies cool

but then again, i aint into books at all

Qjij_jijQ
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:14 PM
I was forced to read 'The Great Gatsby' a while ago...
It's supposed to be an amazin' book, but I didn't think it was that good... Then again, I'm not much of a reader anyway...

RobHardo
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:25 PM
well I am only in 9th grade and my 8th grade teacher said it would be like readin a dr seuss book fo rme, but the thing is i am not a heavy reader (i don't like reading much anyway)

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:28 PM
if theres one thing i hate in the entire world, its reading, im a great reader, i jus hate doin it!!!! im goin to 9th in 2 months, so we'll see if that changes at all

RobHardo
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:35 PM
if your like me you won't change your opinion for reading bro

Infernal Mass
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:38 PM
right now i'm reading mind control by Ashida Kim.

happy_doughnut
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Hmph. I don't read as much as I used to which I think, is a shame :(
Right now I'm reading " Carrie " by Stephen King :D
Yeah, yeah, I know... " what kind of book is that ?!? " I don't know... it's spooky and I like that stuff. I was also reading the Devil's Advocate ( I know what some of you are going to say... :laugh: ) but it got boring.
Why don't they make books with more gore in them ?
I need some !!

Infernal Mass
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
:shock: Mena you can read!?

:laugh:

happy_doughnut
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:03 AM
*falls over* Ah ! Of course I can read ( well, not a lot but SHHH! )
Why am I always so vulnerable to attacks like these ?!?

Ah... shaddap you Heifer !!! :laugh:

Infernal Mass
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:05 AM
:laugh:

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:13 AM
what exactly r u guyz talkin about????

Hylas
Jun 19th, 2002, 07:36 PM
I like a lot to read, that's why I was happy whenever I got books to read during the holidays, instead of other homeworks. But I prefer to read books I choose by myself...teachers' book are often boring ones and they choose them because of their personal tastes...

BTW, Anne Frank's diary was not complicated to read, and really moving, especially in some parts, and I've heard Farenheit is an amazing sci-fi book. I was planning to read it too :)

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 19th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Hylas, :nono: :nono: :nono: , you need to stop reading, its bad for you.....haha:laugh:

*another useless reply*

Rohamgh
Jun 21st, 2002, 03:39 PM
^^tru dat banned man ;)

I really like reading, and I read v. fast an all that, but I HATE BOOKS THAT ARE GIVEN BY TEACHERS, and any CLASSIC books. I hated anne frank's diary, I can't stand shakespeare (though I do understand him), or marlowe, or ****ens, this summer, for 11th grade, i gotta read Silas Marner by George Eliot. Anygood? neva tried Eliot be4.....damn. an' I got 2 french books to read too aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh

007_JamesBond
Jun 21st, 2002, 03:45 PM
Books I was supposed to read and did- April morning, farenheit 451

Books I was supposed to read and didn't- Huck Fin, Anne Frank(watched the movie), To Kill a Moking bird, amung about 3 others

Cannibal Clown
Jun 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
This summer I have to read Far From The Madding Crowd. It's like 400+ pages, adn boring as heck. I'm up to chapter 4, out of about 50 something chapters. I got to get it done by at least the 22nd of July. Stupid school crap. And it's summer for crying out loud.

Rohamgh
Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:01 AM
^^ YES! it is summer, we shouldn't do WORK!!!

and 007, did you actually LIKE farenheit 451? i saw the movie an it was gaaaay.

and to kill a mocking bird isn't BAD...ain't that good either though. and diary of anne frank is jus plain argh. huck fin i couldn't ever muster up the courage to read...:laugh:

007_JamesBond
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:59 PM
yeah I liked the book, but I dont remember the movie. I hated TKMB, it just didn't appeal to me

RobHardo
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
This is a super old thread! I have been going through the threads i started and came across this one. I didnt post my sophomore reading list, but I'm going to be a Junior (upper class woot woot!)In 2 months! My reading list for this coming year isnt that bad actually.
Of Mice and Men
The Picture of Dorian Gray
GamePro :spidey:

Berserker
Jun 29th, 2004, 02:18 AM
I've read Of mice and men when I was in school for my english-list, it's by Steinbeck right? It's a good choice very easy read, very obvious moral, motives etc.etc.
The only books I read nowadays are books about training, nutritients, supplements etc. Most of them are in english difficult technical english, but at least it somewhat improves my english. You can't tell...I'm affraid...but it does :roflmao:

Meiko
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:02 AM
My reading list for this coming year isnt that bad actually.
Of Mice and Men
The Picture of Dorian Gray
GamePro :spidey:

Actually I think your reading list is quite good! :D

Pu the Owl
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:12 PM
If you're bringing back this summer book discussion, I must say: I have many to read! I bought them and I can't wait to finish them all. But, the latest book I'm reading at the moment, Glamorama B.E.Ellis, is making me feel a little uncomfortable. Don't know if it's a coincidence, but last night after reading it for more than two hours, I couldn't sleep and kept on feeling terrible and today I feel a bit nauseated by the thought of it :sick:

Snake, Dorian Gray is a great book, but not everybody likes the genre. Anyway, it's one of my faves, it's really amazing.

Faile
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I have dorian grey on my desk but I've yet to read it. Mainly because I've re-read harry potter. My summer reading consists of a ton of books about the rise of the Nazi party as I prepare to head back to Uni. I want 'tales of a scorched earth' (biography of the pumpkins) and I have 'Love Shaped Story' by Tommaso Pincio to read. Also I wish to re-read 'Educating Peter' by Tom Cox again and also 'Going Out' by Scarlett Thomas because they are both absolutely brilliant and were the high point of last summer which was otherwise rubbish.

xx

squirms_619
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:13 PM
I dont get summer assignments from school but i do like to read and i try to look for some fantasy/horror novels there the best kind :heh:

kupoartist
Jun 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
In my own time, I'm reading Watership Down (I'm really slow at reading some books when I'm busy... I think I started this about Christmas time ^^). A2 English Literature work also requires me to read William Shakespeare - Measure for Measure, Annie Proulx - Postcards and Stella Gibbons - Cold Comfort Farm... but the course comes with a whole load of extra baggage...

For CCF, we have to read Mary Webb - Precious Bane (a ridculously morbid book, that veers-off on a tangent and leaves me wondering "WTF?"), D.H.Lawrence - The Rainbow (I hear that I don't want to know how many pages that is) and Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights (which thankfully we already read last year. I was one of the minority that really liked it ^^). And then, we have to do a Synoptic Paper on the genre of books that Postcards falls under... so we have to read about 3 books and know about 10 more.

I have about 10 - 15 books lying around unread right now... tbh, Its a good job that I like collecting books as much as I like reading the damned things!