PDA

View Full Version : X-Box Live?

happy_doughnut
Jun 9th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Hmm...? What's this? x_x

Microsoft announced Xbox Live, its online service, which will debut this fall in all territories with a beta program in North America this summer. The company has pledged a $2 billion commitment for the service. Standard features are:

Gamertag. Gamertag is a player's unique online ID for all games across the global gaming service.
Friends list. This feature allows gamers to find friends online and invite them to a game no matter which Xbox Live game they're playing.
Xbox Communicator. Voice communication is integrated with all Xbox Live multiplayer games, enabling voice interaction with teammates and opponent. Key elements of this feature exclusive to Xbox include voice-masking, global muting and parental control.
Matchmaking. QuickMatch is the ability to enter a multiplay experience with a single button click, and OptiMatch, an Xbox Live exclusive, helps players select games and opponents based on similar skill levels.
High-speed content downloads to the Xbox hard disk. Only Xbox offers console gamers the ability to download and permanently store both free and for-a-fee content, including new levels, characters, missions and statistics.
"Online capabilities will change video games in more profound ways than 3-D technology has so far," Allard said. "We built Xbox Live to allow game creators to focus purely on making the next great games. As the artists create, Xbox Live will do the heavy lifting where cross-game services, technology, customer service and billing are concerned."

The starter kit, with an MSRP of $49.95, includes a year's subscription to Xbox Live, an Xbox communicator, and ReVolt from Acclaim. At least 50 games will utilize Xbox Live by the end of the year, including Unreal Championship, MechAssault, Whacked, Midtown Madness 3, and NFL Fever 2003. Future games for the service include Star Wars Galaxies, Counterstrike, and sequels to Halo, Rallisport Challenge, Amped, and Project Gotham Racing.

Do you think it'll do good or not?

Beretta55
Jun 9th, 2002, 02:02 AM
i dont know maybe i will have to try it out.

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 10:33 AM
I dont really think it will be great cuz someone has found how to hack Xbox live and has already hacked the xbox itself.

KraftSLU
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by GaseousSnake
I dont really think it will be great cuz someone has found how to hack Xbox live and has already hacked the xbox itself.

Im not quite sure what you mean by this... Someone hacked the xbox? How so? The mod chip maybe? Well, PS2 has had modchips released for it for quite some time but im not sure that would be considered hacking. Nobody has really 'hacked' the OS as it is only a 72 byte win2000 kernel and there is really no 'hacking' that can be done for it

Also, the alpha production for the xbox live software hasn't even been released yet. I've looked for it, didn't see anything. Maybe if you can post a link? Right now, it looks like xbox live has the most chance of any of the 3 online ventures of succeeding. Why? Because MS is pouring 3 billion dollars into the project. I haven't heard of any other company pouring nearly this much money into their online services.

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Click here Krafslu for proof (http://vnunet.com/News/1132402)

KraftSLU
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks gas, that clears it up a little bit. But here is a key part of that articale:

His circuit board managed to intercept key traffic flowing through the hardware and gave Huang the keys, as well as the unique serial number, of his machine.

This is nothing more than another mod chip. by soldering a new chip to certain connections it is allowing him to bypass all the registry protection the xbox has. That way you can play burned CD's and DVDs and such. The same thing has been possible for the ps2 for quite some time and from what I understand the gamecube has been cracked now also. Its only a matter of time before this happens to any system, I don't see how this will affect online play though.

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:37 PM
I dont think i carefully read the whole article.I must have made a mistake.Sorry

KraftSLU
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Oh, you probably read it right. It just makes for a lot grander articale to write XBOX HACKED!!! than MODCHIP FOR XBOX which everyone has seen already. Yeah, he spent 50 bucks beating the security code. For him to actually write a viable program he will probably have to dish out 10 thousand for a dev kit, unless he plays with it on his own... but the chances of accidentally frying a box are probably pretty great if he did that.

Here is why I don't think it is going to fry xbox live: because XBox live is looking to be set up like a huge version of blizzard's battle.net To even think about logging on to b.net you have to have a piece of software with an original MS software key. if you have a modified xbox, it won't send the key, then no playing online for you. yeah, you will be able to play burned games, but you won't be able to play even original games online.

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Hackers will definately know what to do when Xbox live is up and ready.It might seem impossible now but it may be very possible in a year or two.

Indrid Cold
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:21 PM
I think its good,

this x_x means Knocked out...