PDA

View Full Version : FF Movie Horribly Stupid?

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:10 PM
I thought this movie was gay............very gay, aside from the tight gfx. Did u guyz?

I jus seen it today on HBO

IcyMourdor
Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:15 PM
Hmmm...yeah, the movie was a lot worse than I expected. I still liked the movie though. Not sure why, haven't seen it since it was in theaters. It has a lot of the same elements as the real FF, but like its ancestors, you can't make a movie out of a game. The only good movie was the original Mortal Kombat. The rest like Street Fighter were just odd.

RufusFF7
Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:22 PM
It was ok.... Didn't have a very deep storyline or cool characters like the games have...

BlackThornn
Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:39 AM
..First, "gay" is one of the most idiotic insults ever, Pimp_Daddy. Use another. :sarcasm:.

Personally I thought it was a good movie. The storyline being compared to the FF games is unfair, because the movie is only a couple of hours, FF games average 30+ at least.. For being a movie, the Story was well-written and concise.. Story elements and themes were clearly following Final Fantasy tradition.

Just because the movie didn't have freakin' chocobos and swords people go "Oh, that sucked! It wasn't Final Fantasy!". It wasn't supposed to be.

Though it wasn't quite up to my initial expectations, I really liked the movie. And resent everyone going "it sucked!" just because of a bunch of hollow reasons or for reasons not stated. It's called constructive criticism, folks. Nobody from square probably reads these boards but it's better than just saying "This movie was gay" and making yourself to look like a twit. :D

Aaaaaanyway.. High points for the movie in my opinion come mainly from the Graphics (of course), the Voice Acting, and the fact that the voice cast itself was a veritable dream team of actors. That and the ending; while depressing, it shot a ray of hope at the viewer.. that ending song played while the mountains are in view is so soothing.. I was completely tripped out the first time I heard it. What was a low point for me was that it was never cleared up (for me, at least) wether the people consumed by phantoms had thier bio etheric energy just destroyed, or wether it was just mangled all to hell then sent to Gaia like normal.. it's double depressing 'cause Everybody ******* died, and you don't know wether it's a "final death" or just the transition it's made out to be.

In short.. IMO, it was a good movie.

happy_doughnut
Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
No... it wasn't gay. I liked it. It did lack depth but I still thought it was good. Many people said that the movie was very bad, however, I dissagree. Yatta yatta yatta... It was a great movie. 'Nuff said.

Sleazy P Martini
Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:53 PM
I thought it was great.

RufusFF7
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:26 PM
The storyline being compared to the FF games is unfair, because the movie is only a couple of hours, FF games average 30+ at least..

That's a pretty good point... In a couple hour movie your not gonna have that much history on the characters, villians, towns, ect... But i think the movie still did lack depth. Did you ever see the movie Vanilla Sky, it has many plot twists and kind of reminds me of a Final Fantasy game, however The FF movie was pretty much straight-forward, and didn't have many references to the games. Why was the movie titled Final Fantasy: TSW if it wasn't going to relate to the games that much. The reason Square gave it that title is because Final Fantasy is a pretty popular name. The movie would have been even more of a bomb if square would have gave it a different name. Such as, maybe just The Spirits Within.

But anyway. I thought it was an ok movie...

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:36 PM
The point is.......the movie sucked, and thats why it BOMBED!!!

Why did it bomb? I think it was because the regular FF's for the Ps1 and Ps2 are headed naturally towards adults, and maybe teens. Many kids play final fantasy, like myself at a young age and progressed through the different chapters at an older age. Many children seeing the movie expected Chocobos, monsters, fighting with swords, and what not. However, this was no where through out the movie, instead we seen spirits, weeeeeerd monsters, and a completely twisted story that is very hard to grasp. Since younger viewers have trouble grasping to the story like an adult does, it makes it harder to view, which can give it a bad rating a lot of times.

The point is: Kids watched it, didnt get it, so didnt like it. I personally didnt like it either,why? It was confusing and I expected a more Final Fantasy look to it. Not a completly real life situation. Maybe some ghouls,bombs, something other than what i saw on tv.

Other bad ratings which deserved better: Artificial Intelligence- A very good movie, but once again, too many plot twists, and very hard to grasp, normally for adult viewers. I'm only 13

RufusFF7
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:43 PM
Well the main reason the mvie bombed was because the movie didn't apeal to ppl who don't play FF games. So the ppl who play the games went to see it.... But the ppl who don't play the games prolly thought they wouldn't understand the movie if they didn't play any of the games.... When in reality the movie didn't even follow any of the games and didn't have any prequel games that most ppl thought it had.

kupoartist
Jun 4th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BlackThornn
"Oh, that sucked! It wasn't Final Fantasy!". - (BlackThornn describing stupid people. not being stupid himself BTW ^_^ - artist)

I hear this loads, and personally it seems to be an attempt to dodge criticsm leveled at FF in general (I live in the UK, so everyone is so anti-FF that you wanna just hit them ^_^), usually because people point to the movie as crap.

I thought it was a good movie though. I've coughed up movie for bigger crap (the Ali-G movie for starters :laugh: ) and this is one of those things I actually wish i'd payed money to see (watched it round a friends.)

The problem is this: Its nothing special. Theres nothing bad about it at all, but the only thing that amazed me was the animation (I wanna play games that look like that ^_^). the majority of the games have many, many memorable parts, but FF : TSW seems to have none. Oh and the soundtrack sucked. If theres any reason to claim it is "not Final Fantasy" it would be the way that Square Pictures had no Squaresoft big-wigs as key figures : No Uematsu is just about as tragic as you can get ^_^

Oh and saying things are "Gay" is just soooooo lame. You must try harder ^_^

RufusFF7
Jun 4th, 2002, 03:00 PM
If he thinks the movie is gay then leave him alone.... He's 13 years old for christ sakes quit being so critical of him...

jenova_jeb
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:32 AM
I still haven't seen it. I'll get around to it someday...

Indrid Cold
Jun 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Its not gay, I think that was awesome!

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 14th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Hey ..........if Square was actually smart enough, they wouldve made it like final fantasy.........cept they dumb

Macceh^
Jun 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
first of all how can a movie be gay?

Secondly square arent dumb.

Now the movie was a masterpeice, and its more like the game than you think. Firstly ending screasm life stream from ff7, the story is deep and intricate and the characters, obviously not as much seeing as its only 3 hours long. The plot i thought was cleverly worked and the animation was for want of a better word "lush". Just becasue it didnt use swords as such dont coem to the asumption that it was nothing like ff. The reason why it bombed was as pimp said it was a PG (uk) and possibly too confusing for that certificate, people of that age range went to see it, and adults snubbed it thinking coz of its certificate it was a kids movie.

In my opinion great film and great ost.

RobHardo
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:23 PM
I admit the plot was ghetto fabulous but the graphix were awesome

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:29 PM
pretty cheap sig. dont ya think???

RobHardo
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:32 PM
It's the best I can do for myself but my friend is workin on one for me........yes my sig is ghetto fabulous like the plot of FF the spirits within

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 14th, 2002, 06:13 PM
u must like that phrase.........ghetto fabulous......sorry bout dat FABOLUS

Indrid Cold
Jun 14th, 2002, 08:23 PM
A little bit!