PDA

View Full Version : PS2 now costs $199... but made in China?

loeric
Jun 1st, 2002, 01:12 AM
I realized that Sony recently dropped the PS2 price to US$199 and I'm very much tempted... but the unit is made in China. Forgive my ignorance, I wonder if those cost $299 a year ago were made in Japan. My thinking is whether there is any quality difference between the two. Appreciate for any insights. Thanks.

Eric

Ice Cold
Jun 1st, 2002, 02:19 AM
I didn't know they moved their production to China.

Why did they do that.

But I don't think you should be scared of any changes in the PS2 model or quality. Sony would be hung if they tried pulling something like that, and I would help. I just bought a PS2 (4 days ago) and am extremely happy with it.

So don't hold back. I decided to wait for a price drop and what a drop it was (33%).

What system do you own now?:confused:

RufusFF7
Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:21 AM
The production of the graphics chip was moved to a plant in China, because that facility can make a smaller and cheaper graphics chip... The production of the chip was in Nagasaki Japan, and was moved. There is nothing wrong with the chip being made in china, no friggin' difference. Why are you worrying?

Rohamgh
Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
not that i think this way, but some people hold that if something is made in Japan or the us it is superior to stuff made in say china, malasia, or mexico. Racsism, or just uneducated people. No offense intended to anyone.

loeric
Jun 4th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Well, I have made the move and used my credit card's Sony points to get the PS2, remote and a second controller.

I was kind of worrying about the quality control in China at the beginning (due to my experience and other postings of AV-electronics made there) but I figure PS2 is Sony's flagship game console and it's one of their major profit-making products, Sony better not messing it up.

Given that I bought the system. Now, I just need to wait for the US release of the Gundam games including Gundam DX, Gundam Assualt 2... (yep, I have played the Gundam DX arcade version in Toronto, like it a lot, realize that PS2 version is coming out later this summer and that's why I bought PS2) :roll: