PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Ps2 for $199 or GC?

Pimp_Daddy507
May 29th, 2002, 12:13 AM
I'm gonna graduate soon and i have been asked by my parents which system I wanted. I still cant decide!!! I look on the internet everyday to try to pursuay myself into gettin one, now i need some oppinions from actual ppl.

First i wanted GC cause the gfx looked awsome
Then I wanted Xbox for a long time (cause its microsoft)
Now I want Ps2 cause all my friends have it and theres many games on it I like

GTA3
MGS2
FF10

and the list goes on..........

Which should I get?????

Sleazy P Martini
May 29th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Buy the system that supports the games you want to play. You could also rent the systems at Blockbuster to try them out for yourself.

Andi
May 29th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Stick with the One & Only
SONY

PLAYSTATION 2 SONY :happy:

Sleazy P Martini
May 29th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Andi
SONY

That will do him no good if he wants to play games that are exclusive to GC or Xbox.

Esjay
May 29th, 2002, 10:48 AM
A system's power is nothing without the games. I think that you should buy the PS2. It has the best games for it now and by the end of the year, there will be even more great games. Xbox and GC have a few good games out now, but there aren't nearly as many as the amount of great games out right now for the PS2. Gamecube has a few good games, (Resident Evil) but the PS2 wins over the Gamecube either way.

KraftSLU
May 29th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Esjay
...but the PS2 wins over the Gamecube either way.

Thats a pretty biased opinion, with resident evil, wrestlemania x8, metroid prime and other great looking games coming out, gamecube might be a wise investment. In the same light, xbox has morrowind, hunter: the reconing, halo and many other great games out with other hot titles around the corner like brute force, blinx, tao feng, phantasy star online 2 and others. Personally I went first for the system that appealed to my needs. I love online gaming so Xbox was a no brainer. As soon as I scrape up enough extra cheese I'll most likely expand my video game system repotiore though!

Harry
May 29th, 2002, 02:07 PM
As many said, don't look at the console power, but at the games you would like to play. All the three consoles are great, and all of them have much more than just a good game.

At present, my personal choice would be a Ps2 or a GameCube. Speaking of titles coming out during the next year, the Gamecube has so many amazing top quality titles that will never be released on other systems; on the other hand, the Ps2 has more games, and gives you the possibility to play titles like Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy series, Gran Theft Auto etc.

Again, take a look at the list of games and choose the console that fits your needs.

macario
May 29th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Andi
SONY

your right unless you want a system thats going to turn like the dc buy the ps2 it has the best games.(by the way the system thats going to turn out like the dc is xbox:cool:

Harry
May 29th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by macario
your right unless you want a system thats going to turn like the dc buy the ps2 it has the best games.(by the way the system thats going to turn out like the dc is xbox:cool:

I don't think so... both the GC and the Xbox will be around for quite a long time on my opinion. The GC is selling a lot of units, and the Xbox is doing good after the price cut. Both consoles will show great stuff, even if at present I am more interested in the GC.

Mercury Shadow
May 29th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Get a job and buy them all. Don't buy GC first because the games suck right now... but this fall GC will be rockin. Xbox has a mediocore library right now. So I say buy PS2 first, and the other 2 depending on which has more games at the moment you buy 'em.

KraftSLU
May 29th, 2002, 05:17 PM
If you have a hankerin' for online play I would go for the xbox. Right now I play halo and tony hawk 3 online all the friggin time, it is so much fun!!

Pimp_Daddy507
May 29th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Halo on THPS3 are already online for Xbox????

But which systems will rule in 1 year, which will have the best games? thats what i need to know.........will ps2 still rule or will xbox take over?

KraftSLU
May 29th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Pimp_Daddy507

But which systems will rule in 1 year, which will have the best games? thats what i need to know.........will ps2 still rule or will xbox take over?

Halo and THPS3 are online... sorta. There are programs out, namely gamespy and xbconnect that let you fool your xbox into thinking that other xbox's hooked up to the internet are actually on your LAN. Gaming is free and you can play people all across the world already!

As for who will rule in one year, anyones guess. My guess is that noone will rule. Each system is going to have some killer exclusives and is going to be pushing online play and the boundaries of their systems. Im sure no matter what system you buy, you won't be disappointed with it!

Mercury Shadow
May 29th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Kraft is right, my friend plays Halo online as well. And I agree, each system will have killer exclusives... so that's why everyone needs to buy them all!

exclusives---->

Xbox- Halo, Splinter Cell, Strident, Project Ego, Unreal Chaimpionship, etc.
GC- Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, Zelda, Metriod, SSBM, Pikmin, Zelda, etc.
PS2- FF, GTA, DMC, Tomb raider, Ico, Twisted Metal, etc.

Ice Cold
May 29th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Alright, you want advise? I just bought a PS2 (yesterday). I am extremely satisfied with my purchase.

I just joined this forum about a week ago to learn more about PS2 and found that it is the best. Mainly because it fits all my needs.
1. I wanted a system with affordable games. (PS2)

2. I wanted something that is portable, I plan on taking it on vacation(PS2/GC)

3. I wanted something with a great game selection (PS2)

4. I wanted something that could play DVD's (PS2/Xbox)

5. I wanted one that would look sweet.:D (PS2)

Clearly PS2 fit all my needs. I believe PS2 is THE BEST CONSOLE EVER!!! but what ever system you get I'm sure you will be happy.:happy:

-Of course if you buy a Xbox or GC you won't be as happy as me.:laugh: lol

Pimp_Daddy507
May 29th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Youre right.........all those reasons u gave out work for me too. I think i made my choice for my system.......

Ps2!!

Why, i have found out that many of my friends have them.....(many!!) this means i will be able to borrow, trade, whenever i get bored of my old ones. None have Xbox and only 2 have GC.

2nd, most of my all time fav games from ps1 are on there

MGS2
THPS3/and soon to be 4
FF10/11
Devil May Cry
Stuntman (love driver)

and much much more

While Xbox only has : Halo, Doom3, and many pc games that i can get for my computer

GC has nothing really except resident evil which i have conqured on Ps1 and DC

I should get my Ps2 in about 4 more days!!!!!! I'm really happy wit my decision

Pimp_Daddy507
May 29th, 2002, 11:19 PM
but wait, how do I know all these ps2 wonder games are gonna stay next year!? Does anyone know the ps2 line-up for next year and the years to come?

Also GC and Xbox too..........this is really important since Ps2 may hit rock bottom with their one hit wonders next year....

KraftSLU
May 30th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Heh, since you listed all your reasons for buying a ps2, I guess I will list all of my reasons for buying a gamecube:

1. I am looking for fast online play: All of the systems are offering online play, but only XBox is exclusive to broadband. Yeah, I realized a lot of people have modems, but if having less people online means i get no lag then so be it. Guess it will be for the 'hardcore' online gamer then

2. I am looking for a system with great fps games going online: Does PS2 even have a good fps? I know gamecube has metroid prime, though its not online. GC and PS2 will get splinter cell a half year after I get it. Anyways, I am going to have halo 2, brute force, splinter cell, unreal championship and counterstrike to keep me amused

3. I want a console with innovation and power so I know it won't burn out in a hurry: XBox all the way, statistically and in real life, only the gamecube can compete with it. Its pushed out 15 mps and so has the cube, all in the first half a year... I can't even think of a ps2 game thats done that. Also, built in hard drive is the coolest thing ever. I can rip songs and create my own soundtracks for games... brilliant idea

4. I want a system that is fun to play with friends: with 4 control ports and games with LAN capabilities. This makes for awesome lan parties if you want. People whine about it being a 'huge console'... Its 8 pounds. If you can't lift 8 pounds and put it in the backpack then you need to put the controller down and go to the gym.

5. I want a future lineup of games that appeals to me: Just off the top of my head, Halo 2, amped 2, brute force, Tao Feng, MK5, Blinx, Fable (was project ego), phantasy star online 2, tony hawk 4, toejam and earl 3, ninja gaiden, shenmue 2, crimson skies, medal of honor, star wars: kotor, unreal, nfl fever 2003, etc. etc.

6. I want a system that I know will survive: [i]Nintendo has been going downhill ever since they released the virtual boy. The N64 didn't do what they wanted it to. Gamecube seems to be faring a bit better though. Without a doubt nintendo is not near the force they used to be. I worry about sony because they seem to be losing a lot of exclusive titles, How did they let GTA3 slip to PC and XBox? And Metal gear? Crash bandicoot? Toejam and earl? Though they do have some exclusives now it is not near what it used to be. Im pretty sure when you size them up the XBox and GC have the most exclusive titles, PS coming in 2nd as of now.

Eh, these are some of the reasons I got a box. not saying a ps2 or a gc is a bad idea, just not what appealed to me. I also like fruity pebbles cereal and wear adidas if anyone cares about those name brands:cool:

Ice Cold
May 30th, 2002, 12:59 PM
I agree with kraft, just buy the system with the exclusives you want and need. I bought PS2 because of GTA3, GT3, RF, FF, TM Black and many more.

I have to admit I know near to nothing about Xbox games. But I just needed something I could play in the car. I also like the PS2 controllers better than Xbox. I can only say that Xbox has a weak number of games. But I can't judge the games that are out or coming out because I haven't been following Xbox.

I wouldn't buy a GC unless you are an undying fan of zelda and metroid because that's all GC got going for them.

Summary- Buy a PS2 and if you got enough money left, buy an Xbox when they actually got some games out. Stay away from GC unless you like kiddy games. "Nintendo has been going downhill ever since they released the virtual boy. The N64 didn't do what they wanted it to."

So far everyone has made great points. The key is getting what YOU want not what WE want. I'm sure if someone gave me an Xbox I'd quickly become a fan.

KraftSLU
May 30th, 2002, 01:13 PM
being the local xbox nut, I just wanted to point out that as far as weak selection goes, the box has 70+ games out right now (not sure on the exact number) and will have an unprecedented 200 titles out by christmas!!!! This is more than the ps2, 64 for any other console for that matter has ever released in their initial year. But yeah, compared to the ps2, there are a lot less titles for the box. A year and a half head start will do that for you though :)

macario
May 30th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU

Halo and THPS3 are online... sorta. There are programs out, namely gamespy and xbconnect that let you fool your xbox into thinking that other xbox's hooked up to the internet are actually on your LAN. Gaming is free and you can play people all across the world already!

As for who will rule in one year, anyones guess. My guess is that noone will rule. Each system is going to have some killer exclusives and is going to be pushing online play and the boundaries of their systems. Im sure no matter what system you buy, you won't be disappointed with it!

for some reason I agree with you, you wont be dissappointed with any system, every person has a system they were meant to play and they were meant to own. I own a playstation2 because I love the cool games that come out for the ps2,I would name them but it would take really long but am sure every one knows which games am talking about, plus the ps2 has amazing graphics just not the best. How come some people say that xbox and gc has lots of better graphics than ps2 when gran turismo 3 graphics can make an xbox, and gc look weak. now all I am saying is that dont talk crap about the ps2 when it can make realistic graphics just like any other system.:phew:

KraftSLU
May 30th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by macario

...How come some people say that xbox and gc has lots of better graphics than ps2 when gran turismo 3 graphics can make an xbox, and gc look weak...

Just FYI, people are saying the graphics are better due to superior hardware. And there have already been games to prove this. Rogue leader for GC and DOA3 for Xbox are both said to be pushing 15 million polys a second with amazing effects and anti-aliasing. GT3 pushes 8 if I remember right. Im not saying that GT is a beautiful game, it has great textures and looks wonderful, but it doesn't push through near the numbers that box and gc games do.

Also, industry analysts are predicting that the cube and xbox will both end up pushing about 32 mps games when it is said and done, but have capped the ps2 at around 24 mps in real life runs.

Lord_Of_NoTiNg
May 30th, 2002, 06:46 PM

Just FYI, people are saying the graphics are better due to superior hardware. And there have already been games to prove this. Rogue leader for GC and DOA3 for Xbox are both said to be pushing 15 million polys a second with amazing effects and anti-aliasing. GT3 pushes 8 if I remember right. Im not saying that GT is a beautiful game, it has great textures and looks wonderful, but it doesn't push through near the numbers that box and gc games do.

Also, industry analysts are predicting that the cube and xbox will both end up pushing about 32 mps games when it is said and done, but have capped the ps2 at around 24 mps in real life runs.

Of course the ps2 is 2years old it can't do 32mps but its still great hardware:cool:

KraftSLU
May 30th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Of_NoTiNg

Of course the ps2 is 2years old it can't do 32mps but its still great hardware:cool:

Oh, im not arguing that it doesn't have great graphics. GT3:Aspec blew me away, as have many PS games. I was merely commenting on why people say the xbox has better graphics than the ps2.

Lord_Of_NoTiNg
May 30th, 2002, 09:18 PM

Oh, im not arguing that it doesn't have great graphics. GT3:Aspec blew me away, as have many PS games. I was merely commenting on why people say the xbox has better graphics than the ps2.

oh ok
:cool:

Esjay
May 30th, 2002, 09:21 PM
KraftSLU, the PS2 DOES have an excellent FPS coming out soon, Timesplitters 2, and yes, it is an online game. As for games not being exclusive to the PS2, I think that only MGS2Substance will be the only Metal Gear game on any system besides the PS2, and all future GTA titles are going to be exclusive to the PS2. And Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and other series will be exclusive to the PS2. Online games for the PS2 will also hold their own against it's competition. Resident Evil Online and Timeplitters 2 look to be excellent titles. I still think that the PS2 is the best way to go

Beretta55
May 30th, 2002, 11:23 PM
i got ps2,gamecube and no xbox i wanted a xbox for so long but i did not have the money to get one cause it was 300$ dollors back then. but now with the price cut i will get one this upcomeing monday im so happy and no im not a fanboy.

Pimp_Daddy507
May 30th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Im sure u guyz are sayin that i should just listen to MY oppinion, not OTHERS. but lets be realistic, i have to decide on which system to actually get. i cant buy em all, i aint rich, i can barelly afford one. im askin u guys to try to pursuay me into a system and so far im already hooked on ps2. i love the games, and the online play really excites me. dont get me wrong, xbox and gc r cool too, but i aint got proof of that...........yet

thx;)

KraftSLU
May 31st, 2002, 12:32 AM
Alright, Im going to try and give as unbiased a gaming opinion as I can for all this... so here goes:

PS2

Pros:
Wonderful gaming library
Backwards compatibility to all your original PS games
Great 3rd party support
Built in DVD playback

Cons:
2 Controller ports
no Hard Drive (estimated to be 80 dollars for add-on)
no modem (estimated to be 40-50 dollars for add-on)
stats less impressive than gc or xbox

What I think: PS2 is a great choice of console to pick up. The day you buy it there are lots of great games that you can get with it and take home to play. Unfortunately those few games seem to swim in a sea of mediocre to crappy games when compared to other system lineups. Also, with less hardware there is the chance you will get less life out of your ps2, but there is also the chance that it will go on for a long time, just like the SNES did. The PS2 has, and will get more great games. Their online venture is kinda unsure at the moment, you will need a 50 dollar modem to even access the net... and the network they showed set up at e3 lagged so bad the game was unplayable. Severe embarrasment. Also, if you want to play rpgs that require a lot of save info (like the new FF) you will have to also buy an 80 dollar hard drive.

Gamecube:

Pros:

portable, great if you take your game system places
nintendo has a tradition of great gaming with familiar characters
advanced hardware design that beats out xbox hardware in areas

Cons:

Will always be seen as 'kiddy' and won't get as many adult titles as other consoles
People will argue that games are being rehashed to death
no harddrive or internet connection without addon

What I think: Nintendo realize they screwed up with the N64 and are out to redeem themselves with the cube. They had a wonderful E3 show and have people anticipating metroid prime, mario sunshine, starfox and zelda amongst other titles. Nintendo has a long line of gaming tradition and most likely won't let consumers down, whether they are looking for kid games or adult games. If you are looking to play dvd's you might want to avoid this, unless you are willing to shell out the big bucks to get the Panasonic Q.

XBox

Pros:
Advanced hardware, HD and ethernet included
DVD playback, but 30 dollar remote is required
In-game Dolby 5.1 encoding
MS is backing it up....

Cons:
DVD player costs money
ethernet port excludes people without broadband
some complain about standard controller

What I think: Xbox is arguabely the most technically advanced machine out right now, though GC is about equal due to extra texture pipelines and hardware lights. Xbox definately won't be beat in the sound department as it is capable of dolby 5.1 encoding *in game* which no other system can do. So if you are an audiophile, big + there! Xbox is probably the best geared up for online play as the ethernet and hd is included. No modem users is kinda crappy, but that keeps the system from lagging. Lag probably won't be much of a problem anyways as MS is investing 3 Billion dollars into the system. Of course, the XBox's main concern is RPGs... or the lack thereof. Morrowind is coming out soon, but that game is iffy... so XBoxers are left to wait for Project ego (slated 2003) and Star Wars: KOTOR (slated holiday season).

K, now that I've gone through all of that, here is why you should buy each system.

PS2: A definate if you want a large selection of games from action, to RPG, to whatever else you have in mind. Be wary of online play, as you have to buy the accessories, and it looks like each game is going to set up it's own server, which means if they decide to charge money, you will have to pay a charge for every game you want online. also, only 2 control ports means you have to buy an adapter if you want to play with 4 friends, so tack that on to the bill. I do find it rather ridiculous that a ps2 (200 bucks) plus the hard drive (80 bucks) plus the modem (40 bucks) will cost much more than an xbox with the same components (200 bucks)

GC: Buy this if you are a nintendo-junkie. Most of the blockbuster games you will see for this will star mario, link, pokemon, metriod, etc. etc. There will be other quality games out, like Res. Evil, but the focus will always be on the nintendo line up for sure. Also, GC has no DVD playback and has smaller disks so you can't play cds or anything on it.

XBox: Probably the biggest gamble. MS is looking to be in your living room and this is their tool. Most impressive as far as power and innovation are concerned. Ingame dolby is pheomenal, Hard drive was a wonderful idea, so was the ethernet port. Now that people have seen its power, developers are less cautious to jump on board. I think Xbox has the most chances of having a successful online launch also. MS is running all the servers and chargin a flat fee (50 bucks for a the service for a year, a free game and the voice communicator) and is dumping tons of money to ensure lag free game. As mentioned before, if you are huge into RPGs, this might not be your system.. at least not until Ego, KOTOR, Galaxies and some other games come out. Yeah, the box might be the biggest gamble as it is the new kid, but it has the potential for the biggest payoff.

Im not going to tell you what to do, but hopefully that helps a bit. If you make me tell you what to buy then I also want to tell you what clothes to where, what to eat for breakfast and who your friends are just for fun :)

Esjay
May 31st, 2002, 10:20 AM
you seem to put a lot of emphasis on online play. I'm not really into it. And the 2 controller port problem can be fixed with a multi tap, which doesn't cost very much. And people like myself do not care about a game's stats, all that matters in the long run is the games.

Neo_Soldier28
May 31st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Gamecube is a nice system and has some good multiplayer and single player games but overall the ps2 has the developers, the ideas and the capability i like them both but i recommend a ps2.

KraftSLU
May 31st, 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Esjay
you seem to put a lot of emphasis on online play. I'm not really into it. And the 2 controller port problem can be fixed with a multi tap, which doesn't cost very much. And people like myself do not care about a game's stats, all that matters in the long run is the games.

Actually I empasized online play as a reason that you might want to look at an xbox. And I did also state that if you want the largest game selection that you should go ps2.

A definate if you want a large selection of games from action, to RPG, to whatever else you have in mind.

As for the multiplayer tap, yeah. It might not cost a whole lot, but it does suck to have to spend extra money on it. That was shortsighted on Sony's part, you have to admit...

Pimp_Daddy507
May 31st, 2002, 11:54 AM
u need a multitap for ps2!? i thought their was 4 ports!? that sucks

Esjay
May 31st, 2002, 11:59 AM
it only costs like 20$, the amount of controller ports on a system should not be THAT obsessed over. I am in no way saying that the XBox sucks, it's an impressive system and it has the potential to go far in the console gaming world, but PS2 is all of that and a bag of chips. I would recommend (sp) getting a ps2, even though it has a few minor shortcomings, it's strengths heavily outweigh it's weaknesses, making it my personal favorite next generation console

Pimp_Daddy507
May 31st, 2002, 12:05 PM
either way, all these next gen consoles have great gfx, better than what i got (ps1)

and which system is the multitap on!? PS2 OR XBOX?

Also, it seems if GC is out of the picture, so, what are the drawbacks of Xbox and Ps2???

(graduation in 3 more days)

Esjay
May 31st, 2002, 12:11 PM
Kraft made an unbiased post on the second page which included all 3 of the systems' pros and cons, read that, and then tell us what you're gonna get
and btw, the MultiTap is on the PS2

Pimp_Daddy507
May 31st, 2002, 12:20 PM
yes already read it

have to decide whether to get ps2 or xbox now

macario
May 31st, 2002, 02:40 PM
Alright, Im going to try and give as unbiased a gaming opinion as I can for all this... so here goes:

PS2

Pros:
Wonderful gaming library
Backwards compatibility to all your original PS games
Great 3rd party support
Built in DVD playback

Cons:
2 Controller ports
no Hard Drive (estimated to be 80 dollars for add-on)
no modem (estimated to be 40-50 dollars for add-on)
stats less impressive than gc or xbox

What I think: PS2 is a great choice of console to pick up. The day you buy it there are lots of great games that you can get with it and take home to play. Unfortunately those few games seem to swim in a sea of mediocre to crappy games when compared to other system lineups. Also, with less hardware there is the chance you will get less life out of your ps2, but there is also the chance that it will go on for a long time, just like the SNES did. The PS2 has, and will get more great games. Their online venture is kinda unsure at the moment, you will need a 50 dollar modem to even access the net... and the network they showed set up at e3 lagged so bad the game was unplayable. Severe embarrasment. Also, if you want to play rpgs that require a lot of save info (like the new FF) you will have to also buy an 80 dollar hard drive.

Gamecube:

Pros:

portable, great if you take your game system places
nintendo has a tradition of great gaming with familiar characters
advanced hardware design that beats out xbox hardware in areas

Cons:

Will always be seen as 'kiddy' and won't get as many adult titles as other consoles
People will argue that games are being rehashed to death
no harddrive or internet connection without addon

What I think: Nintendo realize they screwed up with the N64 and are out to redeem themselves with the cube. They had a wonderful E3 show and have people anticipating metroid prime, mario sunshine, starfox and zelda amongst other titles. Nintendo has a long line of gaming tradition and most likely won't let consumers down, whether they are looking for kid games or adult games. If you are looking to play dvd's you might want to avoid this, unless you are willing to shell out the big bucks to get the Panasonic Q.

XBox

Pros:
Advanced hardware, HD and ethernet included
DVD playback, but 30 dollar remote is required
In-game Dolby 5.1 encoding
MS is backing it up....

Cons:
DVD player costs money
ethernet port excludes people without broadband
some complain about standard controller

What I think: Xbox is arguabely the most technically advanced machine out right now, though GC is about equal due to extra texture pipelines and hardware lights. Xbox definately won't be beat in the sound department as it is capable of dolby 5.1 encoding *in game* which no other system can do. So if you are an audiophile, big + there! Xbox is probably the best geared up for online play as the ethernet and hd is included. No modem users is kinda crappy, but that keeps the system from lagging. Lag probably won't be much of a problem anyways as MS is investing 3 Billion dollars into the system. Of course, the XBox's main concern is RPGs... or the lack thereof. Morrowind is coming out soon, but that game is iffy... so XBoxers are left to wait for Project ego (slated 2003) and Star Wars: KOTOR (slated holiday season).

K, now that I've gone through all of that, here is why you should buy each system.

PS2: A definate if you want a large selection of games from action, to RPG, to whatever else you have in mind. Be wary of online play, as you have to buy the accessories, and it looks like each game is going to set up it's own server, which means if they decide to charge money, you will have to pay a charge for every game you want online. also, only 2 control ports means you have to buy an adapter if you want to play with 4 friends, so tack that on to the bill. I do find it rather ridiculous that a ps2 (200 bucks) plus the hard drive (80 bucks) plus the modem (40 bucks) will cost much more than an xbox with the same components (200 bucks)

GC: Buy this if you are a nintendo-junkie. Most of the blockbuster games you will see for this will star mario, link, pokemon, metriod, etc. etc. There will be other quality games out, like Res. Evil, but the focus will always be on the nintendo line up for sure. Also, GC has no DVD playback and has smaller disks so you can't play cds or anything on it.

XBox: Probably the biggest gamble. MS is looking to be in your living room and this is their tool. Most impressive as far as power and innovation are concerned. Ingame dolby is pheomenal, Hard drive was a wonderful idea, so was the ethernet port. Now that people have seen its power, developers are less cautious to jump on board. I think Xbox has the most chances of having a successful online launch also. MS is running all the servers and chargin a flat fee (50 bucks for a the service for a year, a free game and the voice communicator) and is dumping tons of money to ensure lag free game. As mentioned before, if you are huge into RPGs, this might not be your system.. at least not until Ego, KOTOR, Galaxies and some other games come out. Yeah, the box might be the biggest gamble as it is the new kid, but it has the potential for the biggest payoff.

Im not going to tell you what to do, but hopefully that helps a bit. If you make me tell you what to buy then I also want to tell you what clothes to where, what to eat for breakfast and who your friends are just for fun :)

you kind of made the ps2 sound bad and expensive. You forgot the great games ps2 is going to have online like ff11, and txr and I heard gran thieft auto is going to be online. now xbox is going to have good games but nothing compared to the ps2 lineup. now even better games are coming out like xenosaga and legaia2. xbox lineup is not that good. sure they have good games like halo but nothing to impressive but if you like power and speed get an xbox.gc has sorryer games than xbox.what I am trying to say (every ps2 freak fan will agree with me) is that whats the use have having so much power but there isnt any good game to show it off on.:ghost:

Ice Cold
May 31st, 2002, 04:41 PM
You sayed you weren't rich. Same here. That's why I bought the PS2!

I don't know about you but I don't really care about online gaming so the modem and hardrive isn't a must. I also don't need four controller ports. The games I like are only one to two player anyways.

You said that you had a PS1? Well now you don't have two worry about buying another controller because PS1 controllers work on PS2!!! You also don't have to worry about trashing your old games either (not that you would). I am assuming you know that PS1 games work on PS2.
That alone will save you a wad of cash.

Xbox is still losing money from production costs, that is why there games and controllers are so expensive.

While PS2 has had time to pay their debts and give out great deals.

So if YOU want to have YOUR money and not Bill Gates, then I would buy a PS2.

That is my persuation. (Waiting for another one of Kraft's 3 page ramblings):laugh: lol

Pimp_Daddy507
May 31st, 2002, 05:15 PM
i dont care bout bill gates or online gaming either, i jus think xbox will be good cause all the money they got

as far as ps2, im gonna get one, i never play 4 players anyway, and xbox games are looking pretty weak. as far as the online gaming for the xbox, ill let my PC do that for me......lol

Ice Cold
Jun 1st, 2002, 01:24 AM
Good decision and happy gaming!!!

I'm just jeleous of all of Bill Gates money. :mad: Oh well

Lost_myth
Jun 1st, 2002, 10:34 PM
Get Ps2 its so much better than those other consoles. Ps2 has best graphics and the best games (to me at least). Plus you can watch DVDs and listen to cds on PS2. It's a good deal too. Its the upgraded version of consoles. Also, you can play a game online or so I heard.

Rohamgh
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:00 PM

in 1 year? ps2.

in 1.5-2 years? X to the Box baby ;)

and yea, i saw your other post, i got there too late didn't i?

ahhahaha ;)

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Rohamgh X to the Box baby
[/B]

Is this ur new catch phrase? pretty weak

Infernal Mass
Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:26 PM
ps2= has grand theft auto 3 good game probably the best ever.

gamecube= nostalgia is forcing me to grab one just to see the updated versions of Mario, Link and ..dear god has anyone else seen Metroid Prime/ Resident Evils another plus.

xbox= BAH!..

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 4th, 2002, 12:15 AM
It seems everyone hates Xbox, why?

Beretta55
Jun 4th, 2002, 12:36 AM
It seems everyone hates Xbox, why? ditto i dont know why everybody hates xbox i like the system and i bought it yesterday and im not a fanboy i like all the systems.

Lost_myth
Jun 4th, 2002, 06:25 PM
it looks really stupid. To me it seems like a gameboy. Ack, a heart attack!

Beretta55
Jun 4th, 2002, 07:55 PM
hey dont diss gameboy they have games like pokemon man do not diss pokemon jk jk:laugh:

Lost_myth
Jun 4th, 2002, 08:06 PM
I was referring to pokemon. The only cool game is sonic! :P

iamalittlebum
Jun 4th, 2002, 09:08 PM
sonic sucks ass i used to have it but i gave it away as soon as i tried it

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Lost_myth
In case you havent noticed,the GB has a larger game library than the ps2

xman2002
Jun 10th, 2002, 06:18 AM
I know that this post is going to make a lot of people angry but here is my 2 cents on PS2 & Xbox:

The Playstation is easily the weakest of the big 3 consoles out right now. If you already have one, then that's fine and dandy, but If you are looking to buy a new console then you ought to buy the best one for the bucks, which is easily the Xbox.

Why? The Playstation requires a $30 adapter (multitap) to play more than 2 players. What a Friggin' rip off. Sony says that they left it off to save the consumers money........What a crock of crap! Every major console since 1992 has had 4 controller ports built in, except for........you guessed it the PS1. Are those cheap bastards trying to say that for the initial $300 ( original price), that they couldn't throw in ports that would cost them a net price of $1.50.

I envision the staff meeting when they were dreaming up the PS2 and I could just hear the head honcho saying "What's the most we can charge the customers and the very least we could give them?". Honestly, the video card is only 8 friggin' megs! Hell, the Dreamcast even had a 16 meg video card. How many of you avid P.C. gamers out there are still using an 8 meg video card? NONE! You know why, no decent games can run on just an 8 meg video card ( not including games like Pac-man and Astroids, Joust, etc.) The processor is less than 250 Mhz. Wow a whole 55Mhz faster than the Dreamcast. The Xbox has a 733Mhz in contrast. The PS2 has a whopping 24 megs of memory. What another friggin' joke (Xbox has 64, by the way). And what the hell is with the supposidly DVD player. There are literally dozens of DVD's that don't work on the PS2. There are actually web sites dedicated to posting the DVD's that aren't compatible with the PS2. The Xbox, however, plays EVERY DVD (of course).

I know that some crack-heads are gonna plea that it is almost 2 years old, but my point is that even when it came out, the PS2 was not all that and in some regards it is weaker than the $49 Dreamcast (2 controller ports, no modem, 8 meg video card).

About the games.......Of course the PS2 has more, thanks to having over a year head start. And yes they have exclusives, but NOT NEARLY as many as the Xbox is getting. The Xbox already has 85 games out and will have over 200 out by the years end. That is more than enough to keep even the most avid gamer too damn busy to have a life.

Let's talk about the quality. Every Xbox game that is also out on the PS2 HAS ALWAYS gotten better reviews than the PS2 version. This is a fact not an opinion. Why? Because the PS2 version not only has worse graphics, but also has slowdown due to terrible framerates and very long load times. Not to mention the Xbox games almost always has bonus features and levels. Need proof, check out reviews for: Tony Hawks 3, Spider-Man, Artic Thunder, SSX Tricky, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Silent Hill 2, Blood Omen 2, etc, etc. The list goes on.

Now to the yahoos that say there aren't any great games out or coming to the Xbox. Check this VERY SMALL SAMPLE of the quality Xbox console exclusives:

Unreal Championship
Blinx
Halo 2
Mechassault
Dino Crisis 3
Shemnue 2
ToeJam & Earl 3
Nfl Fever 2002 & 2003
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Outlaw Golf
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Brute Force
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball
Munch's Oddysee (Abes Oddworld sequal)
Quantum Redshift
Sega Gt 2002
Doom 3
Rallysport Challenge
MotoGP
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Ninja Gaiden
Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb
Midtown Madness 3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
B.C.
Project Ego
Super Man: The Man of Steel
Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon
Jet Set Radio Future
Project Gotham Racing
Sega World Series Baseball
Hunter the Reckoning
House of the Dead 3
Steel Battalion
Risk
Breed
The Unseen

The list goes on! These are just some of the XBOX EXCLUSIVES. The Xbox already has most of the good games that are out on the PS2 with the exception of Gran Tarismo and Final Fantasy and the Xbox is already been hailed as a Racing fans dream console. That worn out GT doesn't look nearly as good as several Xbox racers already out. So that only really leaves Final Fantasy and GTA as the major exclusives we don't have. We either have are we are getting PS2 titles like:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Silent Hill 2 & 3
Crash Bandicoot ( Once hailed as PS2's mascot)
Red Faction 2
Time Splitters 2
Soul Calibur 2
Duke Nukem Forever
State Of Emergency
Turok Evolution
Onimusha 1 & 2
HitMan 2
Devil May Cry 2
Dues Ex 2
Need 4 Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Thief 3

This list goes on too, but I think that you see that there is NO SHORTAGE on great games that are on the Xbox. The point being that if you are going to buy a new console, why waste money on a watered down, no hard-drive,no modem, no 4 controller port, console when you can have far and away the most powerful console on the planet in the Xbox. Heck, you can even link up to 4 Xbox's together and have a killer at home Lan party with up to 15 buddies. Believe me, several people (including myself ), do this and it is a unpresidented blast that you simply CAN'T DO on any other console. Also, if you just have to have the PS2 controller, then you can simply buy the $12 adaptor that lets you use your original Playstation controller on the Xbox. So no more excuses. Do yourself a favor and get yourself an Xbox

Sleazy P Martini
Jun 10th, 2002, 08:22 AM
We all know the Xbox is a good system. You don't need to come off like a salesman.

GaseousSnake
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:22 AM
He does have a point you know.But I must say,OUTLAW GOLF is also coming to GC

Mercury Shadow
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Hot Shots Golf 3 (ps2 exclusive) is an excellent golf game. Even though I haven't played outlaw, HSG3 is probably on the same level.

Indrid Cold
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:23 PM
I dont know...

I'll stick with Xbox 4ever (Forever)

GaseousSnake
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Mercury_Shadow
Hot Shots Golf 3 (ps2 exclusive) is an excellent golf game. Even though I haven't played outlaw, HSG3 is probably on the same level.

Outlaw golf is the first ADULTS ONLY game.

Harry
Jun 11th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by xman2002
About the games.......Of course the PS2 has more, thanks to having over a year head start. And yes they have exclusives, but NOT NEARLY as many as the Xbox is getting. The Xbox already has 85 games out and will have over 200 out by the years end. That is more than enough to keep even the most avid gamer too damn busy to have a life.

Let's talk about the quality. Every Xbox game that is also out on the PS2 HAS ALWAYS gotten better reviews than the PS2 version. This is a fact not an opinion. Why? Because the PS2 version not only has worse graphics, but also has slowdown due to terrible framerates and very long load times. Not to mention the Xbox games almost always has bonus features and levels. Need proof, check out reviews for: Tony Hawks 3, Spider-Man, Artic Thunder, SSX Tricky, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Silent Hill 2, Blood Omen 2, etc, etc. The list goes on.

These are all personal opinions, and YOU CAN'T really compare reviews made from different sources, different journalists and so on.

In certain cases yes, the Xbox version was better, but simply because the game was developed with the Xbox as the development system. The architecture of a Ps2 works in a opposite way than the one of an Xbox, and there is no need to explain what happens when a game is developed simultanEously for two completely different systems. And it's true that Xbox has more power than the PS2, yet I still have to see the graphics of MGS2 - on my opinion the best graphic engine ever realized - on Microsoft's console. The screenshots currently available of Substance come all from the Ps2 version, but many sources seem to forget it. In other cases - like Silent Hill 2 - the game was better just because they added a sub-plot, not because the graphic engine was smoother or stuff like that.

Again, don't take too much seriously half points when it comes to reviews, especially when they are written by different persons.

And sorry to say that Xbox's line-up is good, but many of the exclusives you mentioned can be found on PC and that others - like Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Shenmue 2 - are not exclusives to the system.

A last thing: unfortunately a Dual Shock 2 controller is designed to work finely on a Ps2 system, and not on an Xbox with an adapter. Adding to that, Xbox games are not tuned to work with a Dual Shock 2. I assure you, playing certain Xbox games with a Dual Shock 2 it's a pain.

Thanks for the information you provided and for a few good points in your post, but you seem more like someone hired by Microsoft than a simple gamer. Stay calm, and don't post too redundant phrases. There is no need, also considering that many here have more than a gaming console and that flaming is no longer tollerated, in any form. We all know that Xbox, GameCube and Ps2 can all be good systems if they fit their owner's needs.

Harry
Jun 11th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by xman2002
I envision the staff meeting when they were dreaming up the PS2 and I could just hear the head honcho saying "What's the most we can charge the customers and the very least we could give them?". Honestly, the video card is only 8 friggin' megs! Hell, the Dreamcast even had a 16 meg video card. How many of you avid P.C. gamers out there are still using an 8 meg video card? NONE! You know why, no decent games can run on just an 8 meg video card ( not including games like Pac-man and Astroids, Joust, etc.) The processor is less than 250 Mhz. Wow a whole 55Mhz faster than the Dreamcast. The Xbox has a 733Mhz in contrast. The PS2 has a whopping 24 megs of memory. What another friggin' joke (Xbox has 64, by the way). And what the hell is with the supposidly DVD player. There are literally dozens of DVD's that don't work on the PS2. There are actually web sites dedicated to posting the DVD's that aren't compatible with the PS2. The Xbox, however, plays EVERY DVD (of course).

This is flaming... and sincerely you really don't seem to understand how the Ps2 works... just read the articles on the system at Arstechnica.com

And first of all, the Xbox CPU is a simple Pentium III at 733 MHz, while the Ps2 has a 128bit RISC processor at 300 MHz... man those are really difficult to compare. You know it's not simply 700 > 300 = Xbox > Ps2 ... oh well...

KraftSLU
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Harry

This is flaming... and sincerely you really don't seem to understand how the Ps2 works... just read the articles on the system at Arstechnica.com

And first of all, the Xbox CPU is a simple Pentium III at 733 MHz, while the Ps2 has a 128bit RISC processor at 300 MHz... man those are really difficult to compare. You know it's not simply 700 > 300 = Xbox > Ps2 ... oh well...

yeah, but that 128bit RISC processor is severly hampered by the fact that it has less ram, less than half the ram banwidth and the fact that the CPU is only used for game variables and 2D animation... of which there is almost none in today's games. You need to look at the GPU, which is 128 bit on both the box and the PS2. The GPU on the box is 233 while the PS2s is about 146 mhz.

Oh, and even though the CPU is 128 bit on the PS2, it can only push info at the rate of 233 mhz clockspeed, while the XBox pushes 733mhz through its 32 pin connection.

You are right though, what he said was flaming and very fanboyish... but it was also pretty correct to a point. I am suprised sony didn't try to push for a little faster card for the timeframe in which their system came out. As far as the arguement of which system is superior hardware wise, the XBox wins on every level.

Rohamgh
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Lost_myth

Why exactly does it look like a GameBoy?? It's huge, (+) , it has substance (+) and it looks reaaaaly expensive (+).

Frankly, my PS2 and indeed my DVD player look like toys next to it. Not my TV tho it's bang and olufsen :D

xman2002
Jun 12th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Harry;

That is not an opinion nor fanboy lingo about the games that are on both the PS2 and the Xbox. The reason that the Xbox reviews ALWAYS do better is because of the poor frame rate and infererior graphics on the PS2. I'm not refering to the overall score, but the fact that whenever there is a game on both consoles, then the reviewers almost always state that if you have all 3 consoles, then the Xbox version is the one to pick up (regardless of bonus material). This is from people that play BOTH versions not SEPERATE people. For those that need proof of the difference in graphics and frame rates, simply rent a copy of either Max Payne or Artic Thunder ( or even Wreckless....when it comes out) and do a comparison with the Xbox version. Once you do this you will see that this is not an opinion but a FACT.

I knew that this post would agitate a lot of PS2 fans and everyone wants to warrant their decisions, but the post wasn't intended for people that already own a PS2, but for the guy who hadn't made up his mind yet. Whether YOU are ANYONE likes it or not, the PS2 simply is an inferior console in MOST categories. I do realize that it is an older console, but I still think that even when it came out, Sony could have made it SO MUCH MORE. I apologize for coming across as fan-boyish. I don't own only one console nor do I work for Microsoft. I just wish that Sony would have done a few things differently like add a little more memory, a bigger video card and at least a slightly faster processor, & I don't believe that asking for 4 controller ports is asking too much........do you?

The point I am making, is that I felt even when the PS2 came out that it wasn't that much of an upgrade from the Dreamcast (in some ways it was a downgrade). Yes!....This is an OPINION. I never said it was a fact, but I did give my reasons for my opinion. Isn't that what the guy who started this thread asked for (our opinions)?

In regards to the Shemnue 2 being exclusive to the Xbox......., It is exclusive here in America. It was on the Dreamcast in other countries, but since I don't live there, it is exclusive to me.

Also, in regards to your suggestions that I am flaming the PS2. I don't reckon that I know if it really is or isn't. I'm not bashing the console, nor making rude, spiteful or foul statements, so I don't believe that I am flaming. All I know is that I was asked my opinion and I gave my reasons for having mine. You can't tell me I'm not supposed to have one that everyone agrees to (impossible). This is '' OTHER CONSOLES" forum, what did you expect?

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:22 AM
but i dont understand if the ps2 is such an inferior console how come it has sold so many titles and is still doing so. Also im not a fanboy I have none of the nextgen consoles. I think the reason the ps2 is still here is because of its games whats the point of having the best graphics but having some crappy games.
Thats what sony was focusing on when creating the ps2 allthough i do agree they could have put in some more add ons

KraftSLU
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by ludaman99
but i dont understand if the ps2 is such an inferior console how come it has sold so many titles and is still doing so. Also im not a fanboy I have none of the nextgen consoles. I think the reason the ps2 is still here is because of its games whats the point of having the best graphics but having some crappy games.
Thats what sony was focusing on when creating the ps2 allthough i do agree they could have put in some more add ons

The PS2 was not an inferior console at the time of it's launch. It's only competition, though, was the Dreamcast which was pretty much doomed from the get-go thanks to the Saturn, Sega-CD and 32x, which were all big failures. It sold like hotcakes early on because the only other option was the iffy dreamcast and along with all those consoles sold, a large number of games were sold.

The reason that there are still games in developement today is the fact that so many people own PS2 so game developers are counting on all those people to continue to buy games. That and it is a good system with some power in it, but it can't come close to the GC and Xbox stats, even on its best day.

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:13 PM
do you think the ps2 wil still be here in about 2 to 3 years time I know its a little off topic but im just wondering.

GaseousSnake
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:38 PM
The ps2 is under alot of presure.Sony will try to release their console as fast as possible so that they can have a head start but M$ wount give them a head start this time.

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM
what do u mean release there console first

GaseousSnake
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM
The ps3 will be out b4 any other new console

KraftSLU
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Not necessarily. I think MS is realizing how much they suffered because Sony beat them to the punch with a new console, whether or not the box is better. I wouldn't be suprised if MS is dumping extra money into the developement of a new system so they can release close to the same date as the PS3. If this happens, Sony is going to be hurting big time...

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:28 PM
i doubt that they will be hurting it depends on which games come on the ps3 platform and as usual sony always seems to have the best games so i think that M$ will be the one hurting no matter how early they put it on the shelves.

KraftSLU
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:09 PM
i doubt that they will be hurting it depends on which games come on the ps3 platform and as usual sony always seems to have the best games so i think that M$ will be the one hurting no matter how early they put it on the shelves. ]

Sorry, I seem to forget... what must have games were available at PS2 launch? To the contrary, sony has always had one of the weakest lineups with their system launches.

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM
They did not need any must have games for there launch because there was no compettion. Once the Xbox and Gamecube came out

Well u know the rest

KraftSLU
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:25 PM
but Sony has never had any 'killer apps' games off bat. When the original PSone came out, there was almost nothing worth while (umm... virtua fighter, i think was the top title) and psone owners had to wait for games like final fantasy, tekken, crash, etc. to come out. same thing happened with the PS2. Sony is renowned for not securing the types of games needed for a super launch.

This is going to bite them in the butt if they don't change their ways, MS knows this and Im sure will be releasing a crazy library with their new system, much like they did with the XBox. Now, I love sony as a gaming company, but MS is out for blood... and when Bill Gates wants something, he tends to get it.

Lord_Of_NoTiNg
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:26 PM
but Sony has never had any 'killer apps' games off bat. When the original PSone came out, there was almost nothing worth while (umm... virtua fighter, i think was the top title) and psone owners had to wait for games like final fantasy, tekken, crash, etc. to come out. same thing happened with the PS2. Sony is renowned for not securing the types of games needed for a super launch.

This is going to bite them in the butt if they don't change their ways, MS knows this and Im sure will be releasing a crazy library with their new system, much like they did with the XBox. Now, I love sony as a gaming company, but MS is out for blood... and when Bill Gates wants something, he tends to get it.

So you think Sony will die because of MS in the next generation of consoles.(Remember Sony has a fan base of 35million)

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:40 PM
well as u can plainly see the Xbox never had a killer launch either neither did the GC

Uchiha Sasuke
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:14 PM
well as u can plainly see the Xbox never had a killer launch either neither did the GC

That is true that no lineup has ever had a real killer launch but MS lineup was pretty good and way better than what sony had.I mean halo was a launch title and one of the xbox's big blockbusters

ludaman99
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:18 PM
that was basically the only blockbuster it had for a while thats the game that was carrying the Xbox besides a few sports games.

KraftSLU
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:53 PM
that was basically the only blockbuster it had for a while thats the game that was carrying the Xbox besides a few sports games.

Umm... Halo, DOA3 and I think PGR all sold over a million copies apiece in under half a year. 3 games selling a million apiece for a new system is unheard of. I think that is proof MS is not fooling around with launch titles.

xman2002
Jun 13th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Microsoft's Xbox had easily not only the MOST games of any console launch, but also easily the best quality of games of any console launch in history: Halo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham Racing, Madden 2002, NFL Fever 2002 ( which outsold Madden on the Xbox and is the first and only football game to do better than Madden on ANY SYSTEM in many many years), Munch's Oddysee, Fusion Frenzy, NASCAR Thunder 2002, Shrek, Dark Summit, Cel Damage , NHL Hitz 20-02, NASCAR Heat 2002, TransWorld Surf, Test Drive Off Road Wide Open , Mad Dash Racing, 4x4 Evo 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x , and AirForce Delta Storm. Now not all of these are stellar games by any means but overall they do represent quite an impressive launch library.

I know that people think that since PS2 outsells the Xbox globally that it must be the best console but when you think about it that's not necessarily true. First of all, the Xbox came out during a 3 way console battle against 2 already established console companies. Sony only had to battle the already dying Dreamcast so what else were people to buy? Xbox is the new "X factor" (literally) of the 3 consoles. They had yet to prove themselves as a serious contender in the so called console wars. A lot of people weren't going to just go dish out $300 on a new reletively unknown console. Even when Sony came out with it's original Playstation, they had to gradually over more than 5 years time, win people over. They were by no means an overnight success nor even a one year success. So given some time it does appear as if Microsoft is heading in the right direction but it just takes time.

One of the biggest obstacles that Microsoft appears to have is name brand recognition is actually not necessarily in their favor in many peoples eyes. There are a lot of Microsoft haters out there that simply won't buy anything that Microsoft makes no matter how good it is. This ( to me ) is not only a hinderance but a shame. Sure they have made business mistakes and may come across as greedy. All companies make mistakes, so as long as they make good products, people shouldn't care. I'm not particularly partial ( obviously) to the Sony Playstation 2, but I sure do love my Sony 5.1 surround sound system. The point is that I don't buy something because of who makes it which obviously lots of people do, but for how good the product is. Yes, Microsoft Windows is buggy, but their Hardware sure isn't. They are well known to make GREAT Joysticks, Gamepads, Mice, Keyboards, etc.. and should now be reckognized as pretty decent console makers. Is the Xbox perfect?...Of course not! Is any console?....Nope! But the Xbox sure is one fine first try.

Sony will release the PS3 before we ever see anything new from either Microsoft or Nintendo. Hopefully Microsoft won't give them over an entire year head start like they did with the PS2. It would be a very interesting battle if they both were released as close as the Gamecube and Xbox were ( 3 days apart ). Especially with Microsoft having a little console experience under their belts and hopefully without name recognition hurting them anymore.

ludaman99
Jun 13th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Sony will release the PS3 before we ever see anything new from either Microsoft or Nintendo. Hopefully Microsoft won't give them over an entire year head start like they did with the PS2. It would be a very interesting battle if they both were released as close as the Gamecube and Xbox were ( 3 days apart ). Especially with Microsoft having a little console experience under their belts and hopefully without name recognition hurting them anymore.

I dont think M$ is going to make the same mistake they did with the ps2 i believe that both consoles will come out at realitively the same time. The GC however i doubt they will make another console as they dont seem to be doing to well compared to the Xbox and Ps2

Harry
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:23 PM
We are going out of thread here, so I think we don't need it anymore to avoid spam.