PDA

View Full Version : Should they be called anime?

Friza
May 20th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Alright. I'm sure some of you have seen such animated films like Spawn the aminated series, Neon Flux, Titan A.E. Although these are amierican films could they be in the same catagory of tradational anime? Also is the name for them correct (I've heard them refered to as American Anime.)

Pu the Owl
May 21st, 2002, 09:36 AM
I think that Anime is only referred to Japanese animation, so whatever is Japanese animation is anime, while other stuff ain't anime :P

merylsilverburg
May 21st, 2002, 12:26 PM
Exactly what Fortune said. And no, Spawn and Titan A.E. not considered as "traditional anime". They would be considered as cartoons. Neon Flux was inspired by anime, so I guess you can call it anime, but since the style is not exactly alike, I'd still categorize it as cartoon. I don't know why they're called as American Anime, because American Anime is what you would call cartoons, right? Either that, or you can call them animation, but as for the Japanese calling it anime, it's derived from the American word "animation" but the drawings are completely different.

Cannibal Clown
May 21st, 2002, 03:32 PM
What do you guys think about Armitage III the third? That's anime, but a lot of it was done in america, like the designs, diolauge, concept and all. Where do you put movies like that into catagory wise?

merylsilverburg
May 21st, 2002, 07:30 PM
Good question. Was there an original Japanese creator for it? If so, then it might just be classified as anime still, because the creator is Japanese...maybe they just let the US handle a lot of the designs because they wanted an "US" touch to it to make it more different than your traditional anime. You know who we should ask? That John guy from Animenation. He answers a lot of questions concerning anime and I'm sure he'd know about this.

Cannibal Clown
May 21st, 2002, 07:38 PM
I've always thought about asking john about that. But I guess I've never gotten to it. And I wouyldn't mind seeing a good question put up there, because lately, they've been kinda, um, dumb question, which are nothing more than opinion questions, and nothing that can be replyed with facts.

I don't have time to ask him, but if you want to, That'd be cool.

merylsilverburg
May 21st, 2002, 07:45 PM
I've never actually asked that guy anything, so I have a question: Does he answer every question, or just the ones he thinks are suitable? Just curious, 'cause I don't want to e-mail him and feel like idiotic when he doesn't reply back. :disturb:

Cannibal Clown
May 21st, 2002, 08:05 PM
I think he replies to all of them, because you have to admit that some of those questions he replies to are ridiculously dumb. And a question like that I feel is far more relevent than a question "Is Dragonball and DBZ from the same Storyline?" I just came up with that one, so not to offend anyone.

merylsilverburg
May 21st, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown
I think he replies to all of them, because you have to admit that some of those questions he replies to are ridiculously dumb. And a question like that I feel is far more relevent than a question "Is Dragonball and DBZ from the same Storyline?" I just came up with that one, so not to offend anyone.

Hey, even though you made that question up, I wouldn't have known the answer. Yeah, so is Dragonball and DBZ the same storyline? I really don't know. Anyway, sorry for spamming, okay I'll try to find the time to ask that John guy and I'll post his reply here.