PDA

View Full Version : Anime HK DVD

Reid
Apr 28th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Has anyone ever heard of anime HK (Hong Kong) DVD?

I just ordered my first set (Berserk series) from one of the companies over Ebay and it works great, but I've also heard of poorer series that have been released.

:P

Anyway, all it is, is anime that has been put on DVD by (usually one of three major companies) people from Hong Kong and is sold as something professional.

It's a great way to get cheap DVD anime series (they cost way too much commercially in North America), but there is still the risk of buying a series or movie with bad video, subtitles, audio, etc.

Well, I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of/bought anime HK DVD before, or just to tell people of it's existence if they haven't.

:)

merylsilverburg
Apr 29th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Hmm....well, since I read that you said you bought it on Ebay from this company called anime HK DVD, I kinda know what's going on. Anime HK DVD is only one of the Hong Kong companies that produce bootlegged animes. In Hong Kong, there are many companies that produce bootleg copies of animes, for the people overseas who want to see not-yet-released animes, or for their own people as well. What I mean is, those copies always have either English or Chinese subtitles, so it's obvious that they're bootlegged. There are some companies, like Anime HK DVD, that are good (I've never bought from them before, but I'll take your word for it, Reid) and there are some that are bad. Another thing is, many HK companies change from one business name to another, for example, Anime Cartoon Inc. changed to Manga International Inc. This company is another company that sells bootlegged anime and so, they change subbers as well. For example, I bought this anime called Gensomaden Saiyuki from the Anime Cartoon Inc. company, but when I wanted to see the second season, they changed companies to the Manga International. The subtitles were awful, because they changed companies and people. Most companies who bootleg anime aren't exactly legal proffesionals, but they are proffessionals, because the animes they sub are somewhat good. It's just not legal, which can be bad for the actual Japanese company. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy bootlegged stuff (hell, I buy it too!), but all I'm saying is, just beware of the ones that are REALLY bad. Since Reid said this company was pretty good, then this company must be good. I can't name any companies that are bad, so far, but all I know is Anime Cartoon Inc. was very good before they switched to the awful Manga International. :P

Reid
Apr 29th, 2002, 10:33 PM
That's true.

The only real way to tell that you're going to get a good product is by reading reviews of it on the internet.

I'd be careful before buying HK DVD, because, like what meryl said, sometimes companies are very bad or very good, and you really can't tell what you're going to get before you buy it without a bit of research.

:P