PDA

View Full Version : Fushigi Yuugi

Pu the Owl
Apr 26th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Once again I'm asking the opinion of the ones who know something about this series.
I know some details about the plot, but not enough to have a precise opinion.
Is it a shoujo, even if set in the ancient China, or not?
Is it funny or mostly serious?
Is the anime better than the manga or not?

Ahhh too many questions! But I hope someone can give me answers!

merylsilverburg
Apr 26th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Heh, Fushigi Yuugi....I've seen the entire TV series, OVAs, and the manga. Okay: *MAYBE SPOILERS*

Yes, it is a shoujo anime. There are a lot of lovey-dovey scenes between the two main characters.

The humor is 50/50. To me, there are more dramatic scenes, than there are humorous scenes. This anime made me very pissed off at times because of how annoying the main villain and his minions are....:frust:

The anime is a little better than the manga, because the manga drawings are kinda....well...not-so-pretty. :right: Plus, the fight scenes are much better if you see them in action.

Here is the plot: (Copied it from here (http://community.animearchive.org/amdb/plot.html?49))

Miaka and Yui go to the library to study. The two are separated
when Miaka is distracted by food. Several times. Stopping by a
food vending machine to think, Miaka doesn't see a red phoenix
rise behind her. Turning, she sees stairs that weren't there
before. They lead to a library where she's reunited with Yui.
They find a book that tells of what happened in a great Kingdom
long ago. Abruptly, the book glows and the girls find themselves
in that Kingdom. Looking unbelieveably at the landscape, Miaka
doesn't see Yui disappear. Left alone, the uncertain girl goes
into a market where her school uniform draws a lot of stares.
Miaka is soon attacked by some ruffians, but is saved by a young
vagabond named Tamahome. With him, Miaka will soon learn that she is apparently destined to be the Southern Priestess. Her quest is to find her seven true warriors (of which Tamahome is one) to come into her true power. In present-day Japan, Yui is
reading the book...which now chronicles Miaka's quest. This is
a drama in a land quite like ancient China, which tends to add a
classical feel to the series. Miaka is an innocent in a land
where such innocence can be deadly. Because of who she is, Miaka will be faced with many threats, both physical and magical. Yui is the narrator, but her destiny will bring her back to Miaka.
A complex and exciting series.

I'd have to say, that once you watch Fushigi Yuugi, you will get hooked....there are plenty of dramatic, funny, and sad moments, so you better prepare your tissues if you cry easily. I'd say check it out anyway, because this anime is one of the animes that everyone has to see once. :) If you have any more questions, please let me know and I'll try to help. :)

Pu the Owl
Apr 26th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks meryl! Now it's much clearer :)
It's from the same author of Ayashi no Ceres, isn't it?

merylsilverburg
Apr 26th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Yes, Watase, Yuu is the mangaka. I've seen a little of Ayashi no Ceres, but I honestly don't like it as much as Fushigi Yuugi. You can also check out Ceres and see how you like it, but the plot is kinda dull to me. :P Glad to be of help! :)