PDA

View Full Version : A story I'm in the process of writing.

jenova_jeb
Apr 25th, 2002, 07:29 AM
I'm writing a story for school and decided that I might as well post it here and see what you guys think. It's not finished, but I hope to finish it before long.

PS- Yes, I did rip off the name Quistis from FFVIII, but the story has no relation to the game in any way. I just liked the name a lot :heh: .

The night was dark. Not the kind of dark that makes it so you can't see anything, but more of a darkness that hung in everyone's heart. An emotion, a feeling.
Three people walked up to a large gate which guarded a rich old ladies house. They were all dressed in black. One of them carried a silver briefcase full of weapons and tools which would be needed to carry out their plans.

As they approached the gate, a camera that sat at the top of it made a noise and began to turn. One of the men quickly raised a silenced pistol and with accurate aim, shot it. It quickly burst into many pieces.
"Do you think they know we're here?" Asked the woman in the group.
"No, Quistis, I'm sure it was an automatic motion camera. The old lady wouldn't be up this late, and she never hires any guards." He replied.
The other man opened the briefcase and brought out some pliers. He began cutting the fence.
"Ya'know, we should really look into finding some better tools. These stupid things take to long."
"When we get our stuff you can buy whatever you want" said the other man. The man with the pliers looked up at his friend and rolled his eyes.
"That's what you said last time! Ya'know it'd do you guys good too, cause you wouldn't have to wait around so long. Something tells me we're gonna screw this one up, and the longer we take the more of a chance we have of getting caught." The other man looked at him impatiently.
"Oh, come on Chivel! Just shutup and get the gate opened."

After finally making a whole in the gate, they went through it and started walking towards the house. The moon was full, and shining. There were no sounds except for the distant traffic in the city down the road, and the water falling from the fountain in her yard.
Guy looked at Chivel.
"He does look pretty nervous" he thought to himself. "What is wrong with him? He's not usually like this."

When they finally got to the house, Chivel got out the glass cutter and started cutting the large window at the front of the house.
"So who's going where, Guy?" Asked Chivel. Guy looked at Chivel, then at Quistis.
"Quistis and I will go in and grab the stuff. You stay here and keep on the lookout." Chivel looked very relieved.
"That's fine with me. The less I'm in this thing the better". Guy and Quistis grabbed their gear and headed through the window.

The window they had entered led them into the living room. Their were paintings across the walls, ranging from old western shoot-outs, to an outer space caption. There was a small table with a marble chess set on it. It looked as though it had never been played, which was probably true. Her husband had died 7 years earlier, and since then she had never seemed to want the company of anyone except her cat.

"OK, Quistis. You look for stuff in here and I'll go check the rest of the house." Quistis looked at him with a very indignant look on her face.
"What? Don't you think I can steal stuff? I'm just as quiet as you are!" Guy looked back at her, and acted as though he hadn't heard her.
"I'll be back in a few minutes."

He left through the big archway and went through the door to the kitchen. Surprisingly, it was not very clean. There were dirty dishes stacked in the sink and some bread crumbs on the table and floor. He walked to the shelves which sat in the left-hand corner next to the refrigerator. He quickly scanned the top of the shelves and found a knife with a golden handle and silver blade.
"This will be worth something" he thought as he packed it away into his bag. He checked two other rooms and found some other stuff. Some old books, a golden watch, and some jewelry.
"I guess this is good enough" he said to himself. "I wonder how Quistis is doing? She'll probably be mad at me for not letting her come."
He began to carefully make his way back through the mansion.

Meanwhile, Quistis was going through a safe she had found behind one of the pictures. Some money, an old picture of a man, and a pendant hanging from a silver chain. Right as she was putting the last of the money into her bag, she heard a thud, then there was quiet. She looked around, but couldn't see anyone. She hadn't noticed Chivel coming in or Guy leaving. She slowly stood up. Then she heard another sound, like a sword being drawn from a sheath. She went to draw her gun, but before she could there were two people in front of her. It was almost as though they had just appeared!
One of them was carrying a large gunblade. Gunblades had become very popular in the last couple of years. The thought of being able to shoot it like a gun and slice with it like a sword obviously intrigued people. He was also wearing a long black trench coat with a strange symbol on it. The symbol was a ball with three lines going through it. His hair was long and of a silver color.
The other person was a woman with short black hair, and a camouflage shirt with black pants. She also had the strange symbol on the mans shirt tattooed onto her arm just below the shoulder. Her weapons were a 9mm pistol and a whip.

"Guy! Chivel! Get in here!" Guy came running through the door, and Chivel jumped in through the window and did a little role thing.
"What's going on?" Asked Guy with a confused expression on his face.
"Yeah, what's up?" Said Chivel. Quistis spun around and looked at them.
"Can't you see them! They're standing right there!" Quistis looked back at the two people, who were both obviously enjoying the situation.
"Do you see this little thing?" The woman with the whip brought out a pendant which looked remarkably close to the one Quistis had found. "This is a very special pendant. We are very interested in the one you have there. Would you please give it to us?"
"Why can't they see you?" Asked Quistis. "Why am I the only one that knows you're here?". "Because, we let you see us." The man standing next to the woman snapped his finger. Suddenly, Guy and Chivel could see them.
"How did they just appear like that? That's insane!" Said Chivel. Guy stepped back and drew his gun, but did so underneath his jacket so the two could not see it.
"What do you want with the pendant Quistis has?" Asked Guy. The man smirked and the woman smiled.
"Why, to take over the world of course!" Replied the man. None of the three friends found this funny at all, but the two obviously got a kick out of it. "Quistis stepped back to where Guy and Chivel were standing.
"Does this pendant have the powers yours does?" Asked Chivel. The two lost their smiles all at once.
"No, errr, of course not." Said the woman. "It's just, uh, part of a uummm, set. They're just very expensive replicas." It was obvious to everyone that she was lying. "Please, just give it to us and we'll be on our way."
"No you don't, you're getting it that easy!" Said Quistis. "Guys, let's get out of here!"
"You don't have to tell me twice!" Said Chivel.
They all ran for the window but the two were already there, standing in front of it.
"Give it to us or we'll take it by force!" Said the woman. Suddenly we could hear police sirens and the old lady was yelling something from the bedroom.
Guy looked at the two people, who were obviously getting frustrated.
"Quick, Quistis, give me your pendant!". Quistis handed it back to him and he put it on. It seemed to everyone as though nothing had happened, but Guy could already feel an awesome feeling of power run through him.
"Hahaha, you don't know how to use it." Laughed the man. He assumed to much. Suddenly, a bright green light burst from the pendant, shocking and temporarily blinding everyone else in the room.
Guy grabbed Quistis and Chivel with what felt like super strength, and ran with them out the window and through the yard. The sirens were much closer now. To his relief, the two people did not follow, but why didn't they? Why hadn't they just taken it from them in the first place? They could've done it easily. With his mind moving as fast as his legs, he just kept running.

jenova_jeb
Apr 25th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Here's a little more of it.

He had run about 13 blocks when Quistis and Chivel came out of shock and had lost the temporary blindness from the light.
"Put us down, man! This looks weird." Said Chivel. Guy stopped running and put them down. They all walked to a tree at the side of the road and sat down. The sun was starting to come up and they could see the first rays of the day shining through the clouds.
"I'm really confused. What was with those two?" Asked Quistis.
"Yeah, that was so spooky how they appeared like that." A silence fell and they all pondered the happenings of the night. A bird walked on the side of the road. Guy watched as the bird looked at him, then continued walking. It came to a worm a few feet up. It pecked at the worm, then again. It pecked a few more times, and finally swallowed it. It then flew high into the air. Guy kept watching it as long as he could see it. Quistis finally broke the silence. "We should get going. It'll be light soon and those two looked like they really wanted that pendant. We should probably just lay low for awhile. We definitely need to find out what this thing is, and why it's so special." Guy kept his eyes fixed on the place the bird had disappeared.
"They're gonna try to take it, but they're going to weaken us first. Why would they take it when we're on our guard?" He kept talking until his voice trailed off and he sat silent again.
Ummm, OK, dude. Whatever. I think I'm gonna get going like Quistis said." Chivel stood to his feet and stretched his arms. Quistis got off of the ground and looked at Guy who still had the same expressionless look on his face.
"Come on, Guy. We'll figure this all out later." Guy finally took his eyes off of the sky. He inhaled a deep breath and looked up at his friends. Chivel stretched out his hand. Guy took it and he pulled him up.
"OK, let's go." Slowly they began to walk back to their house.

Pu the Owl
Apr 25th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Is it your first story jeb?
I think it's going very well, considering it's just the beginning.
Did you take other elements from FF8 or only the name of Quistis?

jenova_jeb
Apr 25th, 2002, 01:11 PM
It's the second story I've ever written. The first one I wrote wasn't really a fiction though. It was more realistic, and a lot shorter than this one will be.

I kinda've borrowed the idea of the Gunblade as well as the name :sarcasm: .

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 25th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Hay Jeb your doing an excellent job so far.Keep it up

happy_doughnut
Apr 25th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Hey that looks great Jeb!
It's really good for it being only the second story you've writen.

BTW, you made a good name choice!!

Mana
Apr 26th, 2002, 02:17 PM
That is a really interesting story! Hope you're going to post the next part!

jenova_jeb
Apr 26th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you guys like it :).

I'll try to get some more of it posted as soon as I can.

jenova_jeb
May 7th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Here's the rest of it. I would have liked to take more time but I had to have it finished in a certain amount of time for my english class.
Hope you guys like it.

When they reached their house, it was nearly 7:00 A.M. As they walked up the steps, Guy felt something like wind rushing past him. He almost lost his balance, but Chivel was standing behind him and steadied him.
"Whoa, man. What's up with your walking? Don't go so fast. They're just steps." Guy clumsily walked up the two remaining steps as his friends followed.

Their house was pretty nice, and that is very understandable due to all the thievery they had been involved in over the past couple of years.
The living room was at the front of the house. It had white carpet and creme colored walls. There was a couch and two lazy boy chairs in front of a big screen T.V. At the side of the television was a cabinet with glass doors. Inside it were DVDs, CDs, and a Playstation 2.
There were two doors at the far end of the room. One of them led to the Kitchen while the other led to the bathroom. Past the kitchen there were stairs which went to the "hide-out" room. Atleast that's what Chivel called it. Guy and Quistis both thought it sounded corny. In this room were all of their computers, guns and stealth clothing. The hallway with all of their rooms was through a door next to the computers.
"I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to bed. I've had to much excitement for one night." Said Chivel.
"Yeah, that sounds pretty good to me too" replied Quistis. "What are you planning to do Guy?"
"I don't know... I think I'll go for a walk. I don't think I could sleep if I tried."
"Well, OK. You should probably put that pendant in the safe before you do anything else. We should leave it alone until we figure out exactly what it is." Quistis walked through the door and made her way up the stairs and to her room. Chivel stayed behind for a minute.
"Hey, Guy. Are you all right?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Are you sure? You don't look so good. I know you well enough to tell when something's wrong."
"No, really. I'm fine. I just need to think".
"All right, just don't forget. Me and Quistis, were here for ya, OK?"
"Thanks, Chivel."
Chivel playfully punched Guy on the shoulder and then headed up to his room. Guy looked down at the pendant hanging from the chain.
"It's such a small thing" he thought aloud. "How could it possibly have the power of doing something so big?" He put the pendant in his pocket and then grabbed his Jacket and a pop tart and walked out the door.

It was 7:30 now, and you could already tell there was going to be great weather for the rest of the day. He walked down to the beach 4 blocks from their house. He sat down on the sand. It was cold, but it still felt good. He picked up some sand and let it fall through his fingers. Right when he started thinking about going for a swim, an old lady with a cane and a bent back walked up to him. Although she looked old, her eyes were like eyes he had never seen on an old person before. There was something about them. They were excited looking eyes. Young eyes. She slowly walked up to him and handed him a letter. Without saying a word she turned and walked away. He took the letter from the envelope and read:

Meet us at the old train station on Monroe St. If you want to learn more about the pendant. You have one hour.

DeepThroat

He put the letter into his front pocket. "How could anyone know about the pendant already?"
He continued picking up sand and letting it fall through his fingers."

After sitting at the beach for another 20 minutes, he walked to the bus station down the street. He was debating whether or not it was safe to go meet with whoever it was that wanted him to come. He was still trying to decide when a man came up behind him. He had something sharp pushing against Guy's back.
"Get in the bus." Said the man. Guy did as the man told him to. When they were inside the bus the man pointed at two chairs sitting next to each other in the back of the bus. "There." said the man. Guy sat down and the other man sat next to him. After sitting in silence for about 10 minutes, Guy finally asked:
"Who are you?" Guy and the man made eye contact for the first time.
"We'll have plenty of time for introductions later. Right now the important thing is that pendant you have. We'll be arriving at the train station soon." Guy looked out the window. What had he gotten himself into?
"I should have left the pendant in the safe like Quistis said." he thought to himself. After about 5 more minutes they arrived at the old train station. Guy and the man made their way to the front of the bus and stepped out the door. There was a large building that had been abandoned for years, or so it was thought. However, Guy was getting the impression that the building had become some sort of a gang-station now.
The bus pulled away and the man lead Guy to the building.
"Wait here." Said the man. Guy stood at the door, debating whether or not he should run.
"If there are a lot of them, and they have pendants, they'll catch me, but maybe it will be better if I take my chances. Something tells me they're not going to just let me walk awa-." That's as far as his thoughts had gotten before he heard a blood curdling sound. It was the sound of a man. Probably the same man that had led Guy to the place. Whoever it was was inside the building. Guy ran back through the woods. Suddenly someone on one of the tree branches above jumped on him. It was the man that had been in the mansion the night before. They began rolling around on the ground, fighting. Guy was trying to pin him, but the man was much larger and stronger than he. Luckily the man didn't seem to have a pendant with him, so there was still a chance for Guy.
"Give me your pendant!" Said the man. Guy punched him in the face. Blood ran from his mouth down his chin. "You'll regret that!" He said. They both jumped off of the ground and got into their fighting stances. Just as Guy was ready to jump at the man he remembered he had his own pendant in his pocket. He slipped it over his head. Once again he felt the awesome power running through him. He gave the man a swift kick to the gut, and he went flying. While going through the air he knocked his head on a tree and was knocked out. Guy quickly turned around and was going to get away, but as he started to run the woman accomplice appeared about 15 feet ahead of him. She held up two pendants.
"I have the pendants of stealth and quickness, now all I need is the pendant of strength, which you have." Guy didn't answer. She was sweating, and breathing hard. Guy had recovered from the first fight with the man and was ready for another. He put his fists up and planted his feet, but the woman drew her gun.
"I'm sorry, but I don't have time for a fair fight" Said the woman. Just then Guy heard a noise and turned around. Chivel and Quistis had just run up.
"We got a letter from an old woman and came as fast as we could." Said Quistis. Chivel and Quistis ran to opposite sides of the woman so that she was surrounded by the three friends.
Guy looked back at the woman.
"So you were the old lady?" The woman smiled.
"I can do anything."
"We'll see about that!" Replied Chivel
"You are all fools!" Said the woman. "You do not understand the power I have with these pendants!" With every word her breathing got harder.
"It doesn't matter!" Yelled Chivel. "Quistis and I will not sit back and watch Guy get killed." Guy looked at Chivel, who still had his eyes fixed on the woman. Could he possibly be serious? Guy hadn't really believed it earlier when his friend had tried to assure him that they would stick with him through anything, but now that they were really being faced with it, Chivel was showing that he had meant what he said. Guy looked back at Quistis who had the same fiery look in her eyes that Chivel had.
"So be it..." Said the woman, and she disappeared. The friends all waited for a minute, but nothing happened. As soon as he began to walk back towards Guy, something hit Chivel in the back of the head. He fell to the ground. He felt the back of his head. It was bleeding. Guy ran to his friends side.
"What the heck?! Quistis, hurry, get him something for his head!" But Quistis' only reply was
"Guy! Lookout!" A rock suddenly appeared in mid-air and it was headed straight for Guy. Guy fell backwards just in time.
"She's still here!" Said Quistis. She grabbed her gun from her holster and Guy pulled out a sword from his back. They stood back to back waiting for something that would help them find her. Chivel had passed-out by now, and was lying on the ground 2 feet to Guy's right.
"We've gotta get help for him!" Whispered Quistis. "His head is still bleeding."
"I know." Replied Guy. "But we may all end up in the same situation if we move." Right then, he heard a twig snap to his left, and then a gunshot. Quistis dropped to the ground. Blood escaped from her mouth.
"NO!" Screamed Guy. He dropped to her side and felt for a pulse. She didn't have one. He turned around and the woman was now visible, but she was bent over and could hardly keep herself from dropping to the ground.
"You killed her! You killed Quistis!" With an anger he had never felt before he picked up his sword and ran to the woman. For the first time in his life, he killed someone...

jenova_jeb
May 7th, 2002, 08:48 PM
He took the pendants from the woman's corpse. As soon as he picked them up he began to feel tired, but couldn't understand why. He Ripped a part of his shirt off and wrapped it around Chivel's head. He was still out cold. Then something started coming down from the sky, and through the trees. As it got closer, Guy could see that it was not a human. Whatever it was was looking straight at him and the pendants. He came and landed on the ground in front of Guy.
"I'm sorry you had to go through this." He said. "My people are the ones who created the pendants, and sent them to earth. It's a good thing we didn't fill them with more powers, or these two surely would have caused much more damage than this."
Guy had never been an emotional person, thus crying was out of the question, but if you had seen him then you would have known he was crying very hard for his friends on the inside. He cleared his throat.
"Why did you let Quistis die? Why didn't you stop it?"
"It was not our intention for them to even have the pendants. We had given the pendants to humans we thought would be able to handle the power which the pendants possessed. Obviously, the human race is still not ready for something like this." With that, he took the pendants from Guy and turned on his heels.
"Wait!" Said Guy. "I have a question. The woman with the pendants, she had two of them, but she acted as though she was extremely tired. And when I picked hers up, all of the power seemed to leave me and I was practically ready to fall over."
"Well, you see, we had taken precautions before letting these come to earth. One of those were to make sure that no one would be able to have more than one at a time. Thus, we made it that as soon as you had more than one, you would lose all of your strength. You would still be able to use the powers of the pendants, but it would be impossible for someone to go more than two minutes. That is why the woman reappeared before she could finish off you and Chivel. She didn't have enough strength to concentrate on her powers." The man looked at Chivel on the ground for the first time. "I almost forgot. Let me heal your friend." Guy stepped back and the Alien shut his eyes for about ten seconds.
"Aren't you going to do something?" Asked Guy.
"Sshhh". Suddenly Chivel's eyes opened and he sat up.
"What's going on?" He asked. Guy filled him in on what had happened since he had been knocked out. Chivel was not like Guy in the emotional aspect. He cried when he saw Quistis. He cried for a good long time. After sitting in complete quiet for a long time, they decided they should bury her.
"Would you like to me to use my powers to make a whole for you?" Asked the Alien.
"No, thankyou. We'd like to do this on our own." Said Guy. Chivel nodded in agreement. The Alien left and the they never saw him again.

They got shovels and dug a whole about 6 feet deep and lowered her into it.
"Should we make a headstone?" Asked Chivel.
"Yes. Let's make one". They found a large rock in which they etched the words:

Quistis Christie: A friend in time of need.
Born on January 19th 1984, Died May 7th 2002.

Pu the Owl
May 7th, 2002, 09:29 PM
hehehe thanks for posting the other part of your story jeb.

But some parts of it are really sad :(
I wasn't expecting what happened to Quistis.

Hylas
May 7th, 2002, 09:52 PM
OMG! Quistis died!
Now I wonder if there's any possibility of bringing her back as the story proceeds :right: