PDA

View Full Version : What makes a main character?

JC Denton
Apr 24th, 2002, 02:55 PM
in your opinion. What do you like in the main characters you play as?. What should a good main character be like?. do you like the cool, calm, serious characters that brood alot or do you like them to be upbeat. Should they start of as a nothing and build there way up as a champion? or are they a member of a royal family, an outcast or somone with special powers? or do you just like to take them as they come.

Describe the ultimate main character in your opinion

Sword 4 Hire
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:38 PM
The ultimate main character eh....cool...arrogant...a lil upbeat but not over doing it...a womanizer...has to be cool looking, has secret unknown powers, and knows martial arts...that's the ultimate character!

JC Denton
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:56 PM
thats cool.

i like my characters serious and brooding. doesn't show off is more of a swordsman than magic user and has some sort of a death wish in battle or is a hero wannabe. or is a hero.

IcyMourdor
Apr 24th, 2002, 04:57 PM
The character has to be serious. He has to have a look to him (or her) that makes them standout from the rest of the party. Usually has a disturbing feature in the past that he can't get over. A strong leader with a noticeable weakness that eventually catches up to him.

Buttsblaster
Apr 24th, 2002, 05:38 PM
I would have to say my fav. character is a dude/chick that takes no crap, he's ready to fight all the time, his past was raveged by some mythical creature or something similar and his whole life was spent avenging his family. He has to carry Axe's cause axe's are freakin awsome. and he has to be a little dumb so that he isn't held back by fear, but not to dumb..... thats my kinda of character

jenova_jeb
Apr 24th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Zidane (FFIX) was everything I wanted in a main character to be. Funny, and cool. I don't really like the depressing characters like Cloud and Squall, but I'm glad there are characters like that, cause I'd get tired of having the same type over and over again.

happy_doughnut
Apr 24th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Ah, he/she has to be serious. Having a mysterious side makes a main character more appealing. I don't really know why but I think it's cool when they're cold hearted and mean. His/Her fighting skills have to be unmatchable!
Also, they have to use some kinda sword!
On a lighter note, they have to have dark colored hair and blue eyes:love:

jenova_jeb
Apr 25th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Mena

On a lighter note, they have to have dark colored and and blue eyes:love:

:laugh: lol :laugh: .

JC Denton
Apr 26th, 2002, 03:20 PM
how many suppoting characrers do you like there to be and what should they be like?

Sword 4 Hire
Apr 26th, 2002, 07:02 PM
I like 5 or 6...mostly an FF cast of characters... I need a silent, strong, fighter, an upbeat character, an excellent healer, a black mage...oh and give me a demi human or two

happy_doughnut
Apr 26th, 2002, 10:49 PM
I'd go for 3. 2 guys and a girl. They should all be deadly for the exception of one that should be the merry one. The other two have to be eviiiiil!!!

ChronoSquall
May 9th, 2002, 08:59 PM
I like characters that are possitive in thinking but not overly hyper and they must have a dark part of their past that is mysterius that you gradualy find out over the course of the game.

Honestly I like depressing up beat and cocky characters. I don't like one more then the other really it just depends on how good the character fits into the story that makes him a good character or not......He can be really depressing but if you give him a good reason to be from his past that is revealed later in the game and him gradually coming to his senses and he fits the story then it's all good.

I hate over cocky characters like seifer who really are all show but no blow yuh know? :P I don't relate to them and they annoy the heck out of me. But if they fit in the story well then they can be good as long as they mature a little dearing the game, but I prefer those characters as a party member or a bad guy but not usually as the main guy (or girl).

SSJ Lacan
May 10th, 2002, 08:34 AM
The ultimate main character eh....cool...arrogant...a lil upbeat but not over doing it...a womanizer...has to be cool looking, has secret unknown powers, and knows martial arts...that's the ultimate character!

Well i agree with Stein on some points but the Ultimate main character in my Eyes. Has to be the Silent type(meaning he doesn't talk crap he just backs it up.)a secert mysterious power is a must(like something happens in his or her life that triggers a flame in there body and makes them go completely mad and transform into something extremly powerful.)He should stay loyal to the one he loves. A HERO in all accpects always showing up in the last second and saving the innocent. I also think in at least one gmae the main character should take his own life to save the world or what not. You just never really see that in any game! Farewell till next time!

ChronoSquall
May 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Yes the character has to care about others too and have a soft side for the innocent. That's one of the main reasons I didn't like seifer.......he just didn't care about anyone but himself which wouldn't make a good main character.

JC Denton
May 10th, 2002, 03:52 PM
i agree with some points,
they cant be too selfish but nor to willing to save others,
though i would say they would have to have very low confidence and not good with people,

yes a death wish is the most important, if they are to die they would like to take the badies with em', not too cleaver they leave that to the supporting guy/girl.

Sword 4 Hire
May 11th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SSJ Lacan

Well i agree with Stein on some points but the Ultimate main character in my Eyes. Has to be the Silent type(meaning he doesn't talk crap he just backs it up.)a secert mysterious power is a must(like something happens in his or her life that triggers a flame in there body and makes them go completely mad and transform into something extremly powerful.)He should stay loyal to the one he loves. A HERO in all accpects always showing up in the last second and saving the innocent. I also think in at least one gmae the main character should take his own life to save the world or what not. You just never really see that in any game! Farewell till next time!

No way Oddo...I see too many of those in like...EVERY RPG I play...I want a Kyle or Ronfar from the Lunar series...someone who can make some time for the ladies and booze...and THEN save the world...I know it's everything opposite from the traditional "hero" but that's why it would be so cool!

Qjij_jijQ
May 11th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Sword 4 Hire may have somewhat of a point here... We've seen those kinds of heroes so many times, it's starin' to get really old.

Nevertheless, I think it still is one of the best "kind" of hero there is... I'm not particularly found of the group leaders in most cases, so I often don't really care... I think that the attitude of the heroes sould work well with the rest of his team.

Sword 4 Hire
May 12th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Exactly...I'm sick of the "Yeah lets go save the world!" attitude...and the "If we all work together we can do anything...because friendship is stronger than evil!" type bit. I want somethin new...somethin fresh...somethin real bada$$!

Qjij_jijQ
May 12th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah !
What's more pathetic than a littl' group of friends that gives us lectures on how to behave and gives littl' morals about how friends should help each other and that love is something deep and beautiful... I mean, wtf ?!?

It's time for a new breed of heroes...

JC Denton
May 27th, 2002, 03:58 PM
they dont have to be lawful, i agree they shouldn't, a mix is good though, one lawful good character and an evil anarchist wold be good to put together. Because friction in the party of heros is always good, who wants to have a group of freind where there isnt a cat fight going on at least once in a while. Who says all of them have to be heros?
some could be there out of there own personnal gain or made to come along. That can work very well, and it does work very well in bg1 and bg2. i like some selfish and evil characters it makes the game more realistic. but a evil main character i dont think works either, nor does a lawful one, Rightoues works, carefree rightoues but not outwardly so, so they dont go along saving damsels in distress, carefree out for revenge, evil streek but good at heart, thats my best character.

of course its all up to personnal opinion, no one is right no one is wrong

Sword 4 Hire
May 27th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah how about this...I want a main character that betrays everyone in the end...GAME OVER

People would be so shocked...that would be hilarious!

JC Denton
Jun 13th, 2002, 06:56 AM
do you mean betray everyone? or just blow up the world?
cos im sure both have already been done, i just can't think where though.

Qjij_jijQ
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:12 AM
lol ! That would be awesome Sword 4 Hire ! :laugh:

But I also have another idea... It would be very cool if the game allowed you to decide to way you want the main hero to act. I mean, if you could have different choices throughout the game that allowed you to be either a bit more evil, good, selfish, caring, etc...

That way, you could be able to 'shape' your own character with his/her own personality. So, at the end of the game, dependin' on the choices you make, your main character could betray the rest of the party and kill them all... or simply fall in love or somethin' like that... that's would be super ! :D

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Qjij...that is a trully awesome idea...

My character would definately bang the main femal character...then steal everyone's supplies....then destroy the world...lol

Qjij_jijQ
Jun 13th, 2002, 08:43 PM
That would make an awesome character Sword ! :laugh:

You betray everyone at the very end... just when they think everythin' is finally over and that they are all goin' to be alright... :evil: That would be quite amusin' ! :D

JC Denton
Jun 14th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Qjij_jijQ
lol ! That would be awesome Sword 4 Hire ! :laugh:

But I also have another idea... It would be very cool if the game allowed you to decide to way you want the main hero to act. I mean, if you could have different choices throughout the game that allowed you to be either a bit more evil, good, selfish, caring, etc...
on baldursb gate it allows you to do just that, you can choose your allignment
lawful good
neutral good
chaotic good
lawful neutral
true nuetral
evil nuetral- selfish
lawful evil
neutral evil- power hungry
choatic evil- blood thirsty

the ending is the same, but its all about vegence anyway but if you are evil you don't have to do good things along the way there are quests for evil people like, kill the duke or whatever, there are so many subquests some for evil and some for good, though evil can do good quests and visa versa

Qjij_jijQ
Jun 14th, 2002, 07:13 AM
The only thing differant about Baldur's Gate is that you can't actually kill anyone you want, like your teammates and peasants... :laugh:

It's also a little bit like Black and White, where you can 'train' your monster to become good or evil. What would be interestin' to see in an RPG would be some kind of 'evolution' of the main character throughout the entire game, based on different choices you have to make... So that, at the end, depending on what you have decided to do earlier, you get to do whatever you want !

As I recall... I think that, at the end of Breath of Fire IV, you actually get the chance to decide if you want to join the bad guy or stay with your team... that's cool ! :D

jbaseley
Jul 6th, 2002, 01:55 AM
probably cloud from ff7 because he looks cool and has a big sword and gets the hot chicks.

JC Denton
Jul 7th, 2002, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Qjij_jijQ
[color=orange][font=kristen itc]The only thing differant about Baldur's Gate is that you can't actually kill anyone you want, like your teammates and peasants... :laugh:QUOTE]

i could be mis understanding what you are saying, but in baldurs gatye you can kill whatever the hell you want, including teamates and peasents, i love killing my teamates on baldurs gate,

you can kill absolutely anyone or anything. Thats the advantage of not going into a battle screen.

Lava42000
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:27 AM
depth