PDA

View Full Version : My Job Rocks!

trunks69420
Apr 15th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Well, i was at work on friday... Nothing too important untill the new shipment of movies for the upcoming week came in. In the box were two new DBZ tapes. As an employee of Hollywood video, i have a responsibility to play new tapes and create an interest. SO, i popped in the new tapes and played them all night long...
there were some complaints, But i was surprised at the amount of Anime fans there were in my quaint little town. I just thought i would tell all of you that Anime is alive and well in the smallville too!
Has anyone else noticed the sudden increase in the popularity of Anime?

merylsilverburg
Apr 15th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool! Yes, the popularity of anime has increased drastically over the last 3 years. More and more different animes are being licensed and released in the US, but still....there are some animes from Japan, that probably won't appeal to some audiences or just some that might not be licensed at all. Examples: Kanon, Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, Sister Princess, Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Noir, and many more.

Infernal Mass
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:21 PM
I had a cousin that worked at suncoast video for a little over a year she'd always tell me when new videos were coming in and give me big fat nasty discounts on all merchandise, she would even give me movie posters too...it sucks that she doesn't work there anymore, now that i have a DVD player :weep:

nanjij
Apr 16th, 2002, 01:08 AM
ive never once seen a piece of dbz merchandise anywhere in england, :(

Spirit
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:08 AM
hmm that's a nice job indeed. I was thinking of going into such industry myself as a part timer to get some spare loot >.<

trunks69420
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Yeah, i love my job. The only thing that you really have to deal with is the complete ignorance of some people. They really dont have the common desency that all humans do. NE ways, back to topic.
I remember about three years ago, it was "uncool" to like anime. Now I can come out of my shell and show my true DBZ colors ie: Shirts, Cards, Binders, ect. and not be scrutinized, but praised for all the cool stuff! God bless open mindedness!

merylsilverburg
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by trunks69420
I remember about three years ago, it was "uncool" to like anime.

That's very true. In my case, whenever I drew, a lot of people would say, "Oh....she has big eyes. Why?" or "Man, she looks like Barbie. Do you still play with that stuff?!" :disturb: But now, there are many people who watch it, so there's no more of those stupid questions, except from the ones who haven't watched it.

Now I can come out of my shell and show my true DBZ colors ie: Shirts, Cards, Binders, ect. and not be scrutinized, but praised for all the cool stuff! God bless open mindedness!

Hmmm.....maybe it's just me, but I'm not so sure if it's open mindedness that brings people to anime. Personally, I think that people are more attracted to anime now, only because it's the "rave" now, so everyone who doesn't know it or watch it, is "uncool". For examples, there are many people in my school who say they are "true anime fans", they watch everything related to anime and never miss a thing. Then, when I ask if they've ever seen Fushigi Yuugi or Trigun.....they shake their heads. They spit out that they only see the most "popular" ones and those are the ones that are shown on Cartoon Network (DBZ, Sailormoon, Tenchi Muyo) and Adult Swim (Cowboy Bebop). I'm not sure if anyone sees my point, but it just seems to me that people are just drawn to the ones they see on TV and that's only because it's the latest and coolest thing. I understand that many students or kids won't have the money to buy many animes (Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, etc) so they wouldn't know many others. However, I know some people who don't have much $$$ but they try to find out different animes from their friends and watch them from their friends too. I don't have a problem with those who don't like or know much anime, but it just kinda aggravates me when they think that the ones they show on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim are the only and most popular animes in the world. Ahh.....but maybe that's just me. :right:

trunks69420
Apr 16th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Hmmm.....maybe it's just me, but I'm not so sure if it's open mindedness that brings people to anime. Personally, I think that people are more attracted to anime now, only because it's the "rave" now, so everyone who doesn't know it or watch it, is "uncool". For examples, there are many people in my school who say they are "true anime fans", they watch everything related to anime and never miss a thing. Then, when I ask if they've ever seen Fushigi Yuugi or Trigun.....they shake their heads. They spit out that they only see the most "popular" ones and those are the ones that are shown on Cartoon Network (DBZ, Sailormoon, Tenchi Muyo) and Adult Swim (Cowboy Bebop). I'm not sure if anyone sees my point, but it just seems to me that people are just drawn to the ones they see on TV and that's only because it's the latest and coolest thing. I understand that many students or kids won't have the money to buy many animes (Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, etc) so they wouldn't know many others. However, I know some people who don't have much $$$ but they try to find out different animes from their friends and watch them from their friends too. I don't have a problem with those who don't like or know much anime, but it just kinda aggravates me when they think that the ones they show on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim are the only and most popular animes in the world. Ahh.....but maybe that's just me. :right:

I feel the same way... But in my opinion, a little anime is better than no anime at all. If DBZ, or Sailor Moon opens the door to others, than bring it on! Personally, I watch DBZ most of the time, but series like Trigun and Final Fantasy are awesome too, but unavailable to the general public. What we need to do is to be a driving source behind the anime market and provide the answers to the unknowing public. "Mission Accepted";)

Slrjoecool
May 16th, 2002, 12:13 AM
Hmm... about that subject... I believe in that all the way... I am a big Sailor Moon fan, and I personally don't like DBZ, but I am still open-minded about the whole thing... It's not like I go around and say that Sailor Moon is the best anime ever and DBZ is pond-scum, because it's just not true... Sure, I don't like DBZ, but others, like Trunks, likes it, and people have the right to their opinions. Key word there is opinion. So, if you like DBZ, cool, if you like something else, cool. If you like Sailor Moon and are a girl, give me a call.... (Just kidding about that last part...)

Frozen
May 16th, 2002, 02:03 AM
I envy your job!

Anime's popularity has certainly increased, and is still growing, but there's still a good way to go. Anime is such a vast universe...

Beretta55
May 22nd, 2002, 12:56 AM
one of my friends is going to work at funcoland and they have anime stuff there too.