Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Memories

Ah, this thread probably won't be very popular, but oh well.

I was talking to a good friend on the forums and we were kinda discussing about the good ol' days of the forums. Thinking back to it now, I'm feeling very nostalgic and a bit sad. The times back then were much happier and more involved and there were many old members that I really enjoyed seeing and all. People like:

BowevelJoe
MercuryShadow
Spirit (SpiritSlayer)
JCDenton
x157anz
Qjij_jijQ
Macceh^
Neo_Soldier28
TtTackler
jenova_jeb
talon101
nanjij
Evil Parrot
Black Heart
Soul Angel
MADRUCKIS
Hadoken
Sword 4 Hire
Mana
Ruby Moon (but I know her reason)

Half of these people are gone now and it's just so...sad. I also remember wonderful threads back then such as:

"Member's Picture" (the original) created by Spirit

"Stop Doing That!!" created by Mourdor (one of my favorites)

"Family Thread" (I forget who created this)

"Soup Thread" I think created by kamari-ice

"Most Embarrassing Moment" created by me

"Game: Matchmaker!" created by happy_doughnut

"Member Opinion Thread" created by Mourdor (also my favorite)

"Single or Not" created by Soul Angel

"PS2F Spring Forum Awards" created by Mourdor

I dunno...that Member Opinion Thread was really sweet and very nice...that Matchmaker! thread was hilarious and cool...Stop Doing That! makes me laugh all the time...

Well...that's all. I just wanted to share a bit of my nostalgia...

EDIT: I also miss the informative/wise posts of BlackThornn, Spank-A-Thon, Harry, goodman and a whole bunch of other people.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 19th, 2004 at 10:01 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:19 AM   #2
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
Wow, that many vets aren't around anymore. I'm really surprised. We had a lot of good threads and conversations back then. I remember the role playing thread Akamie (Soul Angel) and I started way back when.

I wonder if we can start those days over again with the newer members.

Hmmm...I never did make another award thread...until now. I didn't think anyone liked any of the threads I made. Guess its time to make some more magic.

We could try some more things too:
1. Get Fortune (aka Panaru) to reveal her name to the world again.

2. Revive the FF and RPG forums (still trying to do that)

3. Pummel some poor newb that starts crap with me.

Last edited by IcyMourdor; Mar 20th, 2004 at 12:20 AM..
IcyMourdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #3
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Re: Memories

Real Life Member updates, including stupid opinionated opinioning!

JCDenton: real life name, Richard Morgan. We haven't talked in an age because:
1. He's never online - and -
2. Offline, he's moved on to a different sixth form college than just about everyone else in my secondary school (the majority of us stayed on at the same school for secondary and sixth-form education).

I have however, heard that he's turned into a nasty little womaniser ... the girls complain that he's simply not as friendly no more, and the guys think that he's maybe a bit too confident.

Either way, he managed to get into one of the better schools in the Cambridge area, so he's pretty intelligent. Just don't waste brain-power on breaking people's hearts!

Reason for absence: This is not clear... I'm not sure if he appears offline because he's changed his email address, but he I never see him on the net anymore. I seem to remember he complained about the community "not being what it used to", but then, he probably got himself a "life" and he only ever used to come on for you older guys and: Nanjij...

Nanjij real name: James Nanji (hence where the name came from). Widely considered to be too nice for his own good. Because he stayed on at our sixth form college, I see plenty of him and we still talk about games and stuff (I walked home with him about two weeks ago, and swore at a driver who had the cheek to interrupt our UT2004 conversation!). I'm not yet sure if he has a DBZ obessession still, but his friend Chris still told me that "Dragon Ball GT is crappy". Everyone wants Jamie to get together with my pal Sarah... well I do at least! They're both really nice people and they go together well because of that...

Reason for absence: I don't see too much of James online anymore either... part of our UT convo centered on how he was annoyed at still being on dialup, and how he wished he could play on Broaband in a clan or something. He probably has a lot of work on as well. One of his latest posts here complained on this very subject... that he'd come back and people were missing, which is a shame. I reckon he could be persuaded back someday... not now though.

---

As for the rest of them... I think some expressed reasons for leaving (often not too convincing) whilst others just gradually came less and less. I sometimes miss kamari-ice. Some things he said and did were pretty damned stupid... No I mean, most things he said and done were pretty damned stupid (top of the pile - getting himself banned!) but he seemed to be a nice person some of the time... Perhaps one day, when he's done some serious maturing, he'll return...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #4
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Some of the members you mentioned still come now and then, but: or they don't post or are in invisible mode, or both.

Things change, new people join and replace some of the older, it's a good thing to see old faces that are still around, but it's good to have new fresh people coming and replacing old members that are not very active (or that aren't active anymore).
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Rei

Some of the members you mentioned still come now and then, but: or they don't post or are in invisible mode, or both.

Things change, new people join and replace some of the older, it's a good thing to see old faces that are still around, but it's good to have new fresh people coming and replacing old members that are not very active (or that aren't active anymore).
This is not directed at you Rei, it's just that yours was an apt post to respond to.

I really hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but nethertheless I'll try to explain my in-activity (and maybe that of other 'veterans' so to speak).

I've been using the net for 8-9 years now and in that time I've been involved in a few forums. I first came to PS2F in Jan 2002 and in that time I've seen a lot of people come and go.

The problem is that a lot of the threads to me are 'samey' now. There's only so many 'member' threads or 'A-Z' games you can post in before you start thinking 'gah - not this again'.

Obviously with new members arriving all the time, these type of threads will continue to stay popular - and for good reason. They're an excellent way to start posting and get yourself known.

I've never exactly been what you would call a prolific poster anyway. Time in my social life is in short supply at the moment so my visits are brief; basically if there's nothing to catch my eye then I don't reply/post (specially seeing that I don't have the time to think up good threads!).

I fully intend to keep popping my head round the PS2F Forums door and replying when applicable. What is happening is merely a symptom of any community - over time, people move on. That's not always a bad thing - but I know that you can miss people.

Anyone remember Funky Monk? I really miss him! He was my personal whipping boy! Heh heh.

- S
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #6
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
Last I remember, Funky Monk was banned for whatever. Forgot why though.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rei

I'm not denying that new members aren't a good thing, but all I'm saying is that the old days were, IMO, the better days. This thread was really to share a bit of my memories of good times and some good members, not to complain about new members and why old members are gone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

The problem is that a lot of the threads to me are 'samey' now. There's only so many 'member' threads or 'A-Z' games you can post in before you start thinking 'gah - not this again'.
Yes, that's how I feel as well, which is probably why I relish in the past. I mean, there are some good threads around and some not-so-good ones...but that's just me.

kupo thanks for all that information. It's nice to hear a little about those members.

Mourdor, yeah you created some nice threads...and not just you, there were many others...it was threads like these that made me want to come on and visit and post and just have fun. ^_^

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:48 PM   #8
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Well, I admit I don't post as much as I used to. I also admit that my posts might be a little less inspired than they used to be in general, as well. This is mainly because I've been much busier in my life with lots of things going on...lots of exciting things mind you. I should come here and share them with you guys more often. I traveled to Colombia a couple months ago and made a post about that and said I was gonna get some pictures up from the trip and post em for everyone cuz I couldnt wait to share it with all of you, but then I didn't follow through so I think maybe I'll go back and do that now if anybody's interested. A lot of pictures have been scanned now I just don't know where to host them if anybody could give me an idea on that or host them for me that would be helpful.
Also, I had a really weird spiritual experience last November or January that I made a thread about and even though I actually got a lot of positive feedback from some people who had advice about it, I was still discouraged by a couple of people who went out of their way to post that they thought it was little more than a joke and were very rude about it or went out of their way to say they didn't believe in such experiences and to give me the impression I shouldn't either like I was crazy or full of shit or something and like I haven't been involved with spirituality in a very big but skeptical way for a while now. I just got discouraged by that and started feeling like a lot of ppl weren't serious here anymore. Obviously, I took it too personally and this IS a videogaming board after all...there are forums designed for help with the other sort of thing.
I am very much over that, though. I just wonder like Meryl why the posts seem to not be taken so seriously anymore and really fun ideas for posts are shot down unlike in the past when people were up for it.
Well, I noticed that it seems my loooong posts are actually appreciated according to the awards thread. I apologize if a lot of them haven't been as long and inspired as they used to be. I put a heck of a lot of effort into some of those as I recall and I regret not having done the same more recently. I wonder if most of my posts have become boring and non-inspiring as opposed to my old ones where it seemed I always had so much to say and showed enthusiasm about it.
Seeing that people appreciate my posts, though, inspires me to make more of a comeback in that sense with more things to say to do my small part as a single forum member to help it all gain the momentum it needs to come alive again. Working together and also embracing the fun the new members bring to us I think we can make this place all the more exciting again. And, actually, it is doing pretty well right now....it just needs a little spark of some kind. So yeah...let's unite as a videogaming community and set things in motion here. Let's make more suggestions for fun thread ideas and we'll get ppl on them. I'm glad Mourdor took the initiative and started an awards thread. Thanks for starting this thread meryl. I think positive things might come out of this as more people read it.

PEACE ALL

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:28 PM   #9
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
It's not good to know many veterans are not coming or not coming often anymore. Wehn we were few people we used to know each others on a different level. Not necessarily better or in a more personal way, but it somewhat felt everybody was involved in the discussions and posting. Now we have cool people, but this sense of familiarity with everybody is lost, I suppose. Not that it is negative, since I know many members are close friends thanks to these forums, but I don't know how to explain it, it was a different kind of relationship with others.

Still, the forums are a more mature place now, at least I think so. There aren't pioneers anymore, we're all equals and we all can enjoy the place in the same way. We all know how to behave or how to post, there aren't big troubles anymore, as it happened in the past, apart from very rare cases. People now know what a forum is and how to use it, so everything is more direct in a sense, and easier for everyone.

That's my opinion.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:33 PM   #10
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
Yeh the threads here do seem to lack something these days.. I know I haven't been around that long but I have noticed a change.
The threads meryl mentioned sounded cool, and nothing in the rules say they can't be started again!
So I say get your creative brains thinking and lets get this place going again!
Although I still love all the people here no matter what the threads are about!

Piggle
x x x x

Piggle_humsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:13 AM   #11
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

I traveled to Colombia a couple months ago and made a post about that and said I was gonna get some pictures up from the trip and post em for everyone cuz I couldnt wait to share it with all of you, but then I didn't follow through so I think maybe I'll go back and do that now if anybody's interested. A lot of pictures have been scanned now I just don't know where to host them if anybody could give me an idea on that or host them for me that would be helpful.
I would love to see those pics...unfortunately, I don't know any good hosting places, I'm sorry. ^^;;;

Quote:
Also, I had a really weird spiritual experience last November or January that I made a thread about and even though I actually got a lot of positive feedback from some people who had advice about it, I was still discouraged by a couple of people who went out of their way to post that they thought it was little more than a joke and were very rude about it or went out of their way to say they didn't believe in such experiences and to give me the impression I shouldn't either like I was crazy or full of shit or something and like I haven't been involved with spirituality in a very big but skeptical way for a while now. I just got discouraged by that and started feeling like a lot of ppl weren't serious here anymore. Obviously, I took it too personally and this IS a videogaming board after all...there are forums designed for help with the other sort of thing.
Oh yes, I remember that "Supernatural thread". I love that thread so much! I only mentioned some of the older, older ones otherwise this thread you created is also one of my favs. As for all the joking, I don't think that people didn't believe you (there are some skeptics) but I think that a majority of the thread went pretty seriously despite some of the joking around.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hylas

Wehn we were few people we used to know each others on a different level. Not necessarily better or in a more personal way, but it somewhat felt everybody was involved in the discussions and posting. Now we have cool people, but this sense of familiarity with everybody is lost, I suppose. Not that it is negative, since I know many members are close friends thanks to these forums, but I don't know how to explain it, it was a different kind of relationship with others.
I completely agree with you. I also felt the same back then and that's how I'm kinda feeling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Piggle_humsy

The threads meryl mentioned sounded cool, and nothing in the rules say they can't be started again!
True, but I just hope that old threads re-started again will have that same spark. I'll give it a try.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention another one of my favorite threads in my first post: "Say Something Nice!" created by happy_doughnut ^_^

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 23rd, 2004 at 06:26 AM..
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #12
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
[color=black]Oh yes, I remember that "Supernatural thread". I love that thread so much! I only mentioned some of the older, older ones otherwise this thread you created is also one of my favs. As for all the joking, I don't think that people didn't believe you (there are some skeptics) but I think that a majority of the thread went pretty seriously despite some of the joking around.
Hi again meryl, yes actually I remember my supernatural thread, as well and I think we had a lot of fun with it. I've had plenty of supernatural experiences told to me since and even had a small handful of my own, recently. I'm glad you enjoyed that thread and we should start it up again ( just not tonight cuz I need to go get some sleep in a little bit.) The thread I was referring to earlier where a couple people's responses bothered me was not the supernatural thread but a different one that you might have missed because I think you may have been on hiatus when I posted it.

Here's the link:
https://forums.ps2fantasy.com/showthr...&threadid=7019

I remember some people had some nice things to say but I remember a couple people being rude. It's all good now of course as I am quite over it

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #13
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

Hi again meryl, yes actually I remember my supernatural thread, as well and I think we had a lot of fun with it. I've had plenty of supernatural experiences told to me since and even had a small handful of my own, recently. I'm glad you enjoyed that thread and we should start it up again ( just not tonight cuz I need to go get some sleep in a little bit.) The thread I was referring to earlier where a couple people's responses bothered me was not the supernatural thread but a different one that you might have missed because I think you may have been on hiatus when I posted it.

Here's the link:
https://forums.ps2fantasy.com/showthr...&threadid=7019

I remember some people had some nice things to say but I remember a couple people being rude. It's all good now of course as I am quite over it

_RED_ stuff
Oh, I see what you're talking about...yes, I admit, those people were pretty rude to reply to your thread that way but these sort of things can't be helped...they just don't believe in it so they never think about people who actually are serious on the topic. Thinking what they say is just a joke, they do that and it's not very funny or appreciative. But, that's the way people are.

As for the Supernatural thread, I agree...we should bring it back up or start a new one, though I'm sorry to say I have nothing to share...I'm afraid I don't have enough supernatural experiences...maybe I should start visiting haunted houses.

You Can Help

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #14
007_JamesBond
Angel of Darkness

007_JamesBond is on a distinguished road
well i am surprisedd that i was not on that list, i have not been on in a long time,not like i had the oportunity to lol, oh well i still try to check in ocassionally now i can well i will try to post pics of me and korea when i can

victory comes to those who want it the most

i am only mearly surviving
007_JamesBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #15
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by 007_JamesBond

well i am surprisedd that i was not on that list, i have not been on in a long time,not like i had the oportunity to lol, oh well i still try to check in ocassionally now i can well i will try to post pics of me and korea when i can
I didn't include you not because I forgot about you, but because I think a lot of people know you around here even though you're not around as often. I mean, you do post once in a while, so that's why I didn't consider you a "gone forever" member (like Soul Angel, Macceh^, etc.). Please don't feel bad, okay?

You Can Help

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #16
Lost_myth
Every One Dies Alone

Location: In the depths of existance where the hot magma flows.
Lost_myth is on a distinguished road
mog

Yeah, I remember most of them. Sword4hire and I were like best friends. Mena was cool. Goodman had the best advice ever and he reminded me of my 8th grade science teacher.

Those are some good people. I miss some of them. I guess they did what I started to do. O well though ya know. Memories are good to have.
Going nowhere Going nowhere
Their tears R filling up their glasses
No Xpression No Xpression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrows

No 2morrow No 2morrow
& I find it kindof funny I find it kindof sad.
These dreams in which i'm dying, R the best I've ever had
Lost_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #17
Hadoken

Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Aww.. Hey hey, whats up everyone? Haven't been on in almost forever. There's a ton of new people. I don't think I could keep up around here, it just seems like the pace is a bit too quick for me or somethin. That's one of the reason's I used to post so much in the past. The pace seemed a lot slower, and I liked it that way because a lot of us could keep up with the forum. I'm also a lot more busy with my personal life nowadays, no more time sitting around. i'll still check the forums now and then. I like the new update you guys, keep up the good work. I'll c ya around!
Hadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #18
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Hey Had, whats going on? I think part of the reason people come and go is, while this is a personal forum, its also built on gaming. There really isnt as many exciting games or other forms of entertainment, as there were at one time. Spank mentioned subject matter becoming very similar, which is valid. Its that way in gaming, also, originality is becoming void, and there isnt as much to talk about. While were here for that chat and the friendship elements, the gaming elements havent really been too inspiring for a while. Ive played Fatal Frame 2 now for almost four months (on fifth play through), but im not hurrying into anything else...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote