Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #1
FATT47
Ridin Low

FATT47 is on a distinguished road
First Person or Third Person?........

Why the popularity or at least more saturation of First Person Shooters in todays games?

Seems like for the most part FPS's are bein produced and promoted more then TPS's today and personally I just don't see why.
Each monkey to their own rope I always say and to me the ease and reality of usin the third person scenario makes a game more fun when havin the character in front of ya, to me it seems to make the character more aware of things and more capable of precise moves and decsions due to the fact of bein able to see more of what's around that character.

Just curious what other gamers think?
FATT47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #2
RobHardo

RobHardo is on a distinguished roadRobHardo is on a distinguished roadRobHardo is on a distinguished road
i'm in full agreement

edit: This is why a lot of people like socom, the third person capabilities. its why i like it so much

this was my 900th post!

IT'S MYSPACE!

Last edited by RobHardo; Jan 24th, 2005 at 09:59 AM..
RobHardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Drafter-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATT47
Why the popularity or at least more saturation of First Person Shooters in todays games?

Seems like for the most part FPS's are bein produced and promoted more then TPS's today and personally I just don't see why.
Each monkey to their own rope I always say and to me the ease and reality of usin the third person scenario makes a game more fun when havin the character in front of ya, to me it seems to make the character more aware of things and more capable of precise moves and decsions due to the fact of bein able to see more of what's around that character.

Just curious what other gamers think?
I agree 100% FATT. I won't even buy a FPS. As soon as I play a demo like Killzone and see that it's FP, I move on to something else.

I guess maybe FP feels more realistic to people? I don't know. It feels kinda stiff to me, like your moving around like a robot or something. Plus it makes me dizzy, lol. The lack of periphial vision makes it tough too. TPS's give me a better sense of what's going on around me, like you said.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #4
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid: Snake
i'm in full agreement

edit: This is why a lot of people like socom, the third person capabilities. its why i like it so much

this was my 900th post!
It would be very interestin to see a poll of gamers for a while to see which scenario is actually liked by more gamers.
Maybe the game producers have an idea about all this but I've sure never seen a poll or known any gamer who's been asked which they prefer.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #5
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafter-T
I agree 100% FATT. I won't even buy a FPS. As soon as I play a demo like Killzone and see that it's FP, I move on to something else.

I guess maybe FP feels more realistic to people? I don't know. It feels kinda stiff to me, like your moving around like a robot or something. Plus it makes me dizzy, lol. The lack of periphial vision makes it tough too. TPS's give me a better sense of what's going on around me, like you said.
If I'm not mistaken one of the first if not the first PS1 game I had was a FPS and I remember thinkin, not sure how I'm goin to like this if this is what shooter games are goin to be like on a PS.

Then I think Tomb Raider was one of my first exposures to TPS's and I like went nuts it was so cool lookin.
I dunno, it just seems weird to see only the weapon in your hand, it may be more natural or realistic to some, but it isn't to me at all, I'd much rather see the character I'm playin out in front of me so I can control him or her better and have a better view of things.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #6
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
that seems to be kinda true here in america. over in japan though fps games aren't as popular.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #7
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
In terms of shooters (because lets no forget - aside from shooters, everything is really 3rd Person 99% of the time) 1st Person is better IMO, but an awful lot of 1st Person games are not 1st Person enough! I'm not really fond of the "out of body experience" way of telling stories that games like Halo represent - I prefer to stay permanently in the character's shoes, but I can name a whole total of... 2 game series that take that approach. No coincidence that the Half-Life and System Shock series are actually my favorite .

First Person games are usually far more easy to control than Third Person games, this especially comes into play on the PC, because the mouse and keyboard are so precise. Most importantly, it seems to me that 3rd Person has fallen out of favour because of the increasing need to fix a decent camera into the game - so long as you have a player character onscreen, you have to find a way to get the camera at a point where your view isn't obstructed by the person you're playing - Developers are simply not bothering with 3rd person, because the ammount of critical drumming they get when they put out a bad camera (and virtually all 3rd Person games get accused of having a bad camera). 1st person eliminates that obstacle, just giving you a gun and a hand (unless you're playing Thief or Tribes or something) to remind you that you're supposed to be person, not just a floating camera.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #8
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
- I prefer to stay permanently in the character's shoes, but I can name a whole total of... 2 game series that take that approach. No coincidence that the Half-Life and System Shock series are actually my favorite .
hey kupo, have you played "Breakdown" on xbox. That is hardcore FPS action..Namco really did a great job of trying to take the FPS genre to the next level.

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #9
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
hey kupo, have you played "Breakdown" on xbox. That is hardcore FPS action..Namco really did a great job of trying to take the FPS genre to the next level.
Haven't got an X-Box... any idea if this game is heading to PC?

Last edited by kupoartist; Jan 25th, 2005 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Removed Half-Life 2 reference because I ought to shut-up about it
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #10
LeCrap

LeCrap is on a distinguished road
I like FPS games on the computer, where TPS games aren't too good. But on my PS2, I like TPS games, which I don't like FPS games too much on. If HL2 was TPS, then it wouldn't be as good; you wouldn't be in the eyes of Freeman. Now, I Socom because of the 3rd person. It's just easier to use and better looking, on a consols
LeCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #11
LrdAlucard
Metalik0r

LrdAlucard is on a distinguished road
If the game is good, has a good story, good graphics, i dont give a damn if its FPS or TPS... -.-''

"Its a good night... On nights like these, I crave for blood."
LrdAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #12
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Haven't got an X-Box... any idea if this game is heading to PC?
I don't think it'll be out on PC, great game though. It never really leaves the first person perspective.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #13
Billyum7
GTA GuRu

Billyum7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to say I like TPS more just because I like to see things better FPS are great too...but I dont like just seeing my guns in my hands I like seeing the hole person walking around..Is halo2 a FPS I havent played it in months lol...I think it is lol..Thats a good game..But i think i would rather play SOCOM call me crazy but online socom is more fun other then the lag..but ya TPS's r great.

Thats my 184th post! lol

I am the Grand Theft Auto GuRu

My FORUMS
Billyum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #14
Drafter-T
Dialed In

It's kinda interesting to read different opinions on this. It would be cool, in a perfect world, to have the option to switch from FP to TP in a game, that way all of us would be satisfied! Most racing games have camera options like that. Guess that's apples and oranges though, comparing racers to shooters.

I just have to have periphial vision and TP is the closest I can get to that I guess.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #15
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafter-T
It would be cool, in a perfect world, to have the option to switch from FP to TP in a game, that way all of us would be satisfied!
A handful of games have the option... the third Thief game allows you to switch between FP and TP - I think the console version may even default to TP whilst the PC version defaults to FP.

The ingame console for other shooters usually gets you third-person. The Unreal series is usually "behindview 1". The Half-Life series is through something like "cl_thirdperson 1". Both demonstrate why the games are far better in FP mode, especially as the camera is fixed in a place that makes aiming pretty impossible.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #16
Infernal Mass
pariah

there are a few games that do the TP/FPS crossover, the latest is that new oddworld game for xbox.

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #17
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Oh, ok, I didn't realize there were games that had both TP and FP options. I'm relatively new to shooters. FATT47 turned me onto SOCOM 2 about a year ago. I loved it so much that after I beat the offline part I went back and bought the original SOCOM. Now I've got Mercenaries and love it even more.

I have played alot of the FP demos though... enough to know I prefer TP for sure.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:18 AM   #18
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
I prefer the handling of a fps, the movement feels somewhat more natural to me.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote