Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.



Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.
 
kupoartist's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: pixel-land
Age: 32
Posts: 2,576
kupoartist is on a distinguished road
FFXII scores perfect 40 in Famitsu

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145598.html

Good news at last

Final Fantasy XII releases on March 16 in Japan. No news on US or European dates.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !
 
Vic Viper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 1,704
Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
thats good to know, sucks that it doesnt have a U.S. release, oh well Kingdom Hearts 2 is coming out the end of this month, that will occupy me till this game comes out here.
__________________

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?
 
merylsilverburg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,023
merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
According to GameFAQs, the game is supposed to release August 1. That's quite a while away.

I'm very surprised the game received such a perfect score...I guess SquareEnix really transformed the series into something fresh and different this time.

BTW Vic, you'll like "Kingdom Hearts 2", it's really quite enjoyable and fun.
__________________
"You're a louse Roger Smith" ~ R. Dorothy Wayneright

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard


You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Infernal Mass
pariah
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,385
Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
this is great news, i wasn't expecting a perfect score. that's 2 games from Matsuno to score perfects at famitsu.
__________________


Last edited by Infernal Mass; Mar 9th, 2006 at 01:08 PM..
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #5
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone
 
happy_doughnut's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: of what?
Posts: 1,560
happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I must say I am also quite impressed. I really like (most of) the FF games, but I never considered any of them to be "perfect" games in . . . well, just about any way. =\

Very impressive, indeed. So, the release date is scheduled for August 1 of next year? That's too long away. Do you know what were the things that accounted for the perfect score? I wonder what they're doing different. I bet they put the world map back in.

BTW: Meryl, did you already play KH2? Was it the Japanese version?
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Sparky`
Registered User
 
Sparky`'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Age: 32
Posts: 3
Sparky` is on a distinguished road
Red face

Too bad Famitsu is the EGM of Japan. They're probably just giving their readers what they want to hear.

Guess I will have to see for myself, but I have a feeling that I won't be liking it...

Last edited by Sparky`; Mar 9th, 2006 at 05:44 PM..
Sparky` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Infernal Mass
pariah
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,385
Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut

So, the release date is scheduled for August 1 of next year? That's too long away.
it may come out sooner..

Quote:
"Square-Enix President Yoichi Wada has the final finally admits giving a release date for finally Fantasy XII for the PlayStation 2 during internal meeting. the game appears first on March 2006 in Japan, followed of the USA in the summer and last at the end of 2006 in Europe.

The release dates would seem to match with previous release dates although if these dates become set in stone, Final Fantasy 12 would be out earlier in Europe compared to the 11 month wait for Final Fantasy X-2.

Source: Famitsu"
__________________

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Infernal Mass
pariah
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,385
Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky`
Too bad Famitsu is the EGM of Japan.
__________________

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #9
Infernal Mass
pariah
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,385
Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky`
They're probably just giving their readers what they want to hear.
Take this into consideration..Famitsu, has only given 6 perfect scores in it's 20+ years of existance.
__________________

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !
 
Vic Viper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 1,704
Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
Take this into consideration..Famitsu, has only given 6 perfect scores in it's 20+ years of existance.
indeed and the first FF game that got a perfect score.
__________________

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #11
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?
 
merylsilverburg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,023
merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
Very impressive, indeed. So, the release date is scheduled for August 1 of next year?
Whoops, sorry, it's supposed to be August 1 of this year...or sooner if Infernal Mass' article ends up to come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
Do you know what were the things that accounted for the perfect score?
I'm curious about that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
BTW: Meryl, did you already play KH2? Was it the Japanese version?
Yes, it was the Japanese version...I didn't want to create a thread about it because I don't want to spoil the game for people and I also don't know much about it since I don't understand it much, ho ho!
__________________
"You're a louse Roger Smith" ~ R. Dorothy Wayneright

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard


You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #12
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone
 
happy_doughnut's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: of what?
Posts: 1,560
happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I was speaking with someone yesterday night, and they showed me this list of what seems to be the top 20 games, according to Famitsu:
  • 20.| SFC: Street Fighter II
  • 19.| PS2: Kingdom Hearts
  • 18.| DC: Sakura Taisen III
  • 17.| FC: Dragon Quest II
  • 16.| PSX: Xeno Gears
  • 15.| SFC: Final Fantasy V
  • 14.| FC: Dragon Quest VII
  • 13.| SS: Sakura Taisen XII
  • 12.| PCE: Tengai Makyou Maru XI
  • 11.| SFC: Dragon Quest V
  • 10.| N64: Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • 9.| PSX: Dragon Quest VII
  • 8.| FC: Final Fantasy III
  • 7.| SFC: Tactics Ogre
  • 6.| SFC: Final Fantasy IV
  • 5.| SS: Machi
  • 4.| PS2: Dragon Quest VIII
  • 3.| FC: Dragon Quest III
  • 2.| PSX: Final Fantasy VII
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
  • 1.| PS2: Final Fantasy X






Oh, come on. Say it isn't so. Nothing but of bunch of Dragon Quest games, which, imo, aren't even all that good. And FFX number 1? Uh, no thanks. If this is true, then I must say I cannot trust that 40. Omg. Another Tidus and Yuna. Ugh.


Quote:
Yes, it was the Japanese version...I didn't want to create a thread about it because I don't want to spoil the game for people and I also don't know much about it since I don't understand it much, ho ho!
I will never understand how you can play Japanese RPGs. I try to play Japanese games and I have a hard time getting out of the title screen.

Last edited by happy_doughnut; Mar 10th, 2006 at 03:42 PM..
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #13
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.
 
kupoartist's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: pixel-land
Age: 32
Posts: 2,576
kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
Uh, no thanks. If this is true, then I must say I cannot trust that 40. Omg. Another Tidus and Yuna. Ugh.
Well exactly. You see, I have this crazy theory... that actually, the Japanese version of FFX was one hell of a lot better. Why? Because when I think of the first and second reasons for hating FFX, I think "Tidus' voice" and "Yuna's voice". With better voices, this game would have been far more enjoyable, and Japan tends to have better quality voice acting on the whole (the animation industry is so, so much larger than in America, and the uses animation is put to so much more diverse than "kids cartoons" and "comedy", so actors have a better range).

I'm not convinced Famitsu gave FFX a 40/40 btw. And yes that list is extremely narrow minded and one dimensional... you have to wonder whether Famitsu simply aren't in Square-Enix's pocket. Just because they're Japanese, doesn't mean you should trust them any more than any American source after all
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?
 
merylsilverburg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,023
merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Well exactly. You see, I have this crazy theory... that actually, the Japanese version of FFX was one hell of a lot better. Why? Because when I think of the first and second reasons for hating FFX, I think "Tidus' voice" and "Yuna's voice". With better voices, this game would have been far more enjoyable, and Japan tends to have better quality voice acting on the whole (the animation industry is so, so much larger than in America, and the uses animation is put to so much more diverse than "kids cartoons" and "comedy", so actors have a better range).
Your theory is not so crazy because, after all, Japanese VAs do tend to have, shall I say, a more emotional depth to their voices. I'm sure the feelings and thoughts of Tidus and Yuna could've been far better portrayed through the Japanese if they had kept the original voices (kinda like Capcom's "Onimusha" series - what is wrong with them and their horrendous dubs?!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Just because they're Japanese, doesn't mean you should trust them any more than any American source after all
I agree. The Japanese can tend to be a bit more, well, biased and narrow-minded when it comes to certain things (not just games) and if the Famitsu staff happens to favor a certain type(s) of games, their judgement/reviews on certain ones cannot be entirely trusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
I will never understand how you can play Japanese RPGs. I try to play Japanese games and I have a hard time getting out of the title screen.
Oh, you have a Japanese console now? That's great, now you too can suffer like me while playing non-native language games!
__________________
"You're a louse Roger Smith" ~ R. Dorothy Wayneright

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard


You Can Help


Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 11th, 2006 at 01:47 AM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #15
Infernal Mass
pariah
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,385
Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
I was speaking with someone yesterday night, and they showed me this list of what seems to be the top 20 games, according to Famitsu:
  • 20.| SFC: Street Fighter II
  • 19.| PS2: Kingdom Hearts
  • 18.| DC: Sakura Taisen III
  • 17.| FC: Dragon Quest II
  • 16.| PSX: Xeno Gears
  • 15.| SFC: Final Fantasy V
  • 14.| FC: Dragon Quest VII
  • 13.| SS: Sakura Taisen XII
  • 12.| PCE: Tengai Makyou Maru XI
  • 11.| SFC: Dragon Quest V
  • 10.| N64: Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • 9.| PSX: Dragon Quest VII
  • 8.| FC: Final Fantasy III
  • 7.| SFC: Tactics Ogre
  • 6.| SFC: Final Fantasy IV
  • 5.| SS: Machi
  • 4.| PS2: Dragon Quest VIII
  • 3.| FC: Dragon Quest III
  • 2.| PSX: Final Fantasy VII
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
  • 1.| PS2: Final Fantasy X






Oh, come on. Say it isn't so. Nothing but of bunch of Dragon Quest games, which, imo, aren't even all that good. And FFX number 1? Uh, no thanks. If this is true, then I must say I cannot trust that 40. Omg. Another Tidus and Yuna. Ugh.




I will never understand how you can play Japanese RPGs. I try to play Japanese games and I have a hard time getting out of the title screen.



ok, so wait..

Famitsu, says FFX is the best game ever..and that makes their perfect score invaild. Ok seriously though, I mean don't you think it would've been more prevalent to make a case against famitsu by listing the games that have scored perfect 40's instead.


Soul Calibur
Vagrant Story <-- Matsuno
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Nintendogs

__________________


Last edited by Infernal Mass; Mar 12th, 2006 at 09:57 AM..
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #16
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?
 
merylsilverburg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,023
merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
The only game that really made sense to me on their list was probably "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" because isn't that game supposed to be the perfect Zelda game? I wouldn't know, I was oblivious to Nintendo in '97/'98.
__________________
"You're a louse Roger Smith" ~ R. Dorothy Wayneright

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard


You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM   #17
Infernal Mass
pariah
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,385
Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
i'm finally sarting to get kinda excited for a new FF. I just wasn't really feeling it, until now. It's almost here,
__________________

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 03:35 AM   #18
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow
 
DragonSphere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Age: 30
Posts: 818
DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
just got it at this midnight release thing at gamestop...wasn't that much in a hurry to get it but it was kinda fun. got the shiny new special edition too.

i would play it now, but the essay-i-shouldve-done-last-week needs to be written first...
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything About Playstation 2 Ps2Fantasy.com | News | Games | Forums | Newsletter | Chat | Privacy Policy | Advertise With Us | Contact Us
Copyright ©2001-2014 MagnetiCat.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.