Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:12 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
FF8 "Eyes On Me" Question

I need a little help from all the FF gurus. I just bought a recent FF album called "Final Fantasy Songbook" and it contains "Eyes On Me" the "Summer" version, in Japanese. I thought this was the original Japanese version of the song, but I did some searches and found the original Japanese lyrics to the "Eyes On Me" song...which were different from the "Summer" version.

So, my question is: is there an actual Japanese version of the original "Eyes On Me" or is there only Japanese lyrics to the song, but no Japanese version? Because I always thought "Eyes On Me" was only sung in English. Thanks in advance, guys!

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:35 AM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
The import CD single on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music ), which is of course the original Japanese market release, appears to be of the English version of Eyes on Me. Similarly, i'm pretty certain that the version of Eyes on Me on the Final Fantasy VIII 4 OST, is the English one - as there is no especially made for English Speaking territories versions of the soundtracks - The FF9 soundtrack contains the Japanese Version of the song that was Melodies of Life in America and Europe - I can only assume that the English version is the "official one".

As for the existance of other, Japanese versions of Eyes on Me, its fairly common practice for them to make arranged versions of existing FF songs. The FF Pray album (one of my favourites) vocalised a whole load of FF themes and I think Rikki did a vocal version of Aerith's Theme for the Suteki Da Ne Single. The difference in lyrics may simply be someone translating as they hear it (usually inaccurate), the result of differences is the way they translated it (two different translators can come up with different translations - one was offical, the other wasn't) Or the simple existance of two different arranged versions.

BTW, I assume that the "CD3" in the product title is a typo and not indicative of there being more than one CD single, because there is only one CD on the actual Japanese Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...570593-8673968

Hope this helps. The real way to find out, I assume, is to own a copy of both the Japanese Single Release and the Japanese Album Release. Otherwise, i'm just speculating ^_^
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
The import CD single on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music ), which is of course the original Japanese market release, appears to be of the English version of Eyes on Me. Similarly, i'm pretty certain that the version of Eyes on Me on the Final Fantasy VIII 4 OST, is the English one - as there is no especially made for English Speaking territories versions of the soundtracks - The FF9 soundtrack contains the Japanese Version of the song that was Melodies of Life in America and Europe - I can only assume that the English version is the "official one".
Thanks kupo for the link, but I have that single and it's the English version (because Faye Wong is Chinese, not Japanese, so she wouldn't be singing Japanese). I also know that FF9's soundtrack has the JP version of "Melodies of Life" (Shiratori, Emiko also sang the English one...which was in the US and Europe editions and the Japanese one was for Japan).
It's really too bad because I thought that there was a Japanese singer who sang the Japanese version of "Eyes On Me" while Faye Wong sang the English version.

Quote:
The difference in lyrics may simply be someone translating as they hear it (usually inaccurate), the result of differences is the way they translated it (two different translators can come up with different translations - one was offical, the other wasn't) Or the simple existance of two different arranged versions.
Regarding the summer version of "Eyes on Me", there hasn't been official translation of the lyrics since the CD just came out, so I'm sure the one I searched for is the authentic Japanese version of the original song (I hope that wasn't too confusing!).

Ahh...sorry for the trouble and confusion I may have caused! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a version I didn't hear or own because I love this song so much and didn't want to miss out! Thanks for your help though kupo!

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote