Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM   #1
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Thank you Sony

for helping me make up my mind.....I'm not getting one.

I read this on gamespot:

Quote:
The latest in a long line of bad news for European gamers is that our PlayStation 3 will not feature the Emotion Engine chipset that powered the PlayStation 2 and now also resides in Japanese and North American PS3s. Instead, PS2 games will be emulated using a cheaper software solution on the PS3, meaning that only a "limited" number of previous-generation games will be playable at launch. While the exact number of compatible games will be revealed on March 23, the meticulously worded press release suggests that "limited" means less than 50 percent (otherwise the word "majority" would most likely have been used).
This is just getting more and more hilarious, I'm not even getting pissed at it anymore.

Vincere Aut Mori

Last edited by Berserker; Mar 1st, 2007 at 01:16 AM..
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM   #2
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
wii and 360 for the win, i have yet to hear a good thing about the ps3, seriously, at least one good thing worth mentioning.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
I think I see two sides to this argument which I'll detail below:

First, this is incredibly wrong on Sony's part...not only have they delayed the release but they just added more fuel to the fire. A lot of people who dislike using multiple consoles to play old games (unless it's an absolute must, like PS1's MGS which couldn't be played all the way on the PS2) would prefer to have, in this case, the PS3 to play all the PS1 and PS2 games. No fuss, no mess. Also with the high price, it should be essential that the thing grant some "reward" to the consumer and one of these rewards should be the backward compatibility.

However, it can be argued that this issue isn't really a "huge" one considering that people may not go back to playing a lot of PS2 games once the PS3's game roster is underway. Not that I'm defending for Sony but like with me, I haven't really played much of my PS1 games ever since the PS2 came out (with the exception of MGS, FFVII, and a few others and for these, I play them on the PS1). Of course, the PS2 does have quite a lot of great games, such as "ICO," "Shadow of the Colossus," "DMC" series, "MGS" series, "Okami", etc...

...But then again, in this article I found (which I don't know if it's legit), it said the "limited" titles should be around 1,000. When I did some research on Wikipedia (yes I know Wikipedia is not a legit source either) under PlayStation 2, the European PS2 list was at 2,308. It is pretty crappy that half of the games won't be compatible but I'm thinking that a majority of the games that will be will be the hit titles. But I'm probably wrong because for all I know, the hit titles over there could not be the same ones over here. But all I'm saying is that a lot of the popular games might be taken into consideration while some of the not so good games will be, sadly, left behind.

Also in the article, they said something about a faster price drop for Europe now that the Emotion Engine chip isn't there. I'm not saying that totally makes up for everything but this may be great news for other people.

All that I said is speculation. The list of compatible games TBA on March 23 might probably shorten...and that will be even worse and anger-inducing news. And hell, even the so-claimed "price drop" may be a scam too. But truth be told, this is really bad news for PAL residents and I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamer
i have yet to hear a good thing about the ps3, seriously, at least one good thing worth mentioning.
Hm....how about it being region-free, lol? I know that may not be a great thing but for importers like me this is a blessing.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 1st, 2007 at 09:39 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg

Also in the article, they said something about a faster price drop for Europe now that the Emotion Engine chip isn't there. I'm not saying that totally makes up for everything but this may be great news for other people.
Yes, but you see.... the damn thing is already more expensive around here. Games too. And "more expensive" means it actually costs A LOT more than, for example, in the US - the suggested launch price of €599 corresponds to around $790, according to currency conversion. In the UK it will be £425, around $830. It's pure madness, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
This is just getting more and more hilarious, I'm not even getting pissed at it anymore.
I wonder if Sony's planning to kill their supporters by making them laugh till they can't breath anymore. Because... if that's what they're planning to do I'm sure most of them will end getting a Wii instead

No, but really... they're probably doing this to Europeans because they think we have a greater sense of irony, or because following a very simplistic view they must be thinking that since we invented stoicism, cynicism and nihilism, we can easily convert ourselves to one of these and survive, while Japanese people would choose to commit seppuku and Americans would start a war about it. I don't know.

PS: no offence taken everybody... it's just that the whole question is frankly, as Crazy Redd would say, well... CRAZY!
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
I'm no staunch supporter of Sony myself; I don't see them in that good of a light as I did about a couple of years ago. The cutting of the emotion chip that won't play PS2 games for the PS3 in Europe is indeed crap, but I myself don't see what the HUGE deal is. Just keep your PS2 around, besides games like Guitar hero 1 and 2 don't play on the PS3 regardless so it's good to have it around.

This situation of "emulation" is just like the 360 emulation thing, since I own one I can tell you it's a bunch of crap. The first games that get emulated are the ones "easiest" to port over, not in terms of quality. That's why stuff like Barbies Horse Race Adventure and Drake and the 99 Dragons saw precedent over games like Ninja gaiden and Jade Empire etc.
For this very reason I keep my Xbox around. So yeah while it is arrogant of Sony to think gamers in Europe will lie down over there and merely accept this, you can still play the games if you keep your PS2. I'm sure the majority of you doesn’t trade in or get rid of your older systems when you get new ones, you just store them.

So yeah backwards compatibility to me means a lot personally, but that won't stop me from buying a system didn't stop me from enjoying the 360 and its pathetic emulation system. I mean hell I still have my Dreamcast stored in an old box in the instance I ever want to play it again.

Plus the PS2 isn't quite dead yet, a few worthy titles are still coming out, it's not much sure but the GC and Xbox are barren ghost towns, PS2 still has a bit left. You can always go back and buy older titles you wanted to play for the system; I picked up Jet Li Rise to Honor and Genji: Dawn of Samurai on the cheap among others. So get some old titles to fulfill your needs.

Besides all the PS3 has to offer right now that is decent is a shooter and a fighting game, everything else is purely meh material at the moment that's what I think at least.

P.S.
The wii is awesome get that instead.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
Yes, but you see.... the damn thing is already more expensive around here. Games too. And "more expensive" means it actually costs A LOT more than, for example, in the US - the suggested launch price of €599 corresponds to around $790, according to currency conversion. In the UK it will be £425, around $830. It's pure madness, no?
Yeah I see that now; after I posted and went away, I started thinking about the price difference and other factors and I realized that the price drop is stupid. What they should do is drop the initial price instead now that the chip isn't there instead of doing a "faster" claimed price drop a few months later (pardon me if my suggestion is a stupid or ignorant one, I admit I don't know much about how it overall works).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
they must be thinking that since we invented stoicism, cynicism and nihilism, we can easily convert ourselves to one of these and survive, while Japanese people would choose to commit seppuku and Americans would start a war about it. I don't know.

PS: no offence taken everybody... it's just that the whole question is frankly, as Crazy Redd would say, well... CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
This situation of "emulation" is just like the 360 emulation thing, since I own one I can tell you it's a bunch of crap. The first games that get emulated are the ones "easiest" to port over, not in terms of quality. That's why stuff like Barbies Horse Race Adventure and Drake and the 99 Dragons saw precedent over games like Ninja gaiden and Jade Empire etc.
*sigh* Wow, I really don't know much about this stuff...what you said sounds like a rather plausible situation for the PS3 games too; I didn't think about this and it totally throws what I wrote out of the water, hehe.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
I wish I had a bit more time to post, but I will put my thoughts in an editorial as soon as PsFantasy.com launches.

I will just say that, once again, the publishing branch of SCEE proved to be the worst subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment. But as we know, this is a problem with many European publishers.

The reduced backward compatibility isn't what is really unacceptable here; in fact, sooner or later, all PS3 models, including those sold in North America, will use software emulation for backward compatibility. Problems are much broader, and they start from the indecent and completely unjustified difference in prices between the European and the North American consoles AND games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
That's a very good point you made here. While things should go a bit better with software emulation on PlayStation platforms than it went with the Xbox, since Microsoft had to deal with the additional issue of having to offer backward compatibility with a system that was made in good part with third party components and licenses, gamers buying a PlayStation 3 without the Emotion Engine could see problems with some of the best third party games for PlayStation 2. Companies like Konami, for example, often surpass the boundaries of the system by using its resources in very unorthodox (and unsupported) ways. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2 require much more resources and "tricks" to work and look as the developers want. And I just hope that first party and second party games for PlayStation 2 - like Shadow Of The Colossus or God Of War - were developed following more standard techniques.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
It wouldn't be such a problem if they weren't charging more than everywhere else ever. I swear there are people on Mars that get will get this console cheaper than us.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #9
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
I want to add that everyone is making good points and there really is nothing to add from my side.

I will however say that I have had a PS3 since launch day in North America and have not had a single problem. I leave it on for days at a time cause i often forget to turn it off. I have 7 games in my library right now and am getting F1 racing and Motorstorm this week. The games could be better (no argument from me) but I have 0 complaints about the system or the setup of the system on my end. No over heating problems and no other problems that I have noticed. Sorry to hear European problems, its really to bad, cause the system itself is fun and I enjoy it like no other. All i can say is the foul shooting in NBA 2K7 is so much fun with the tilt control lol. I sat there one night and shot 1000 shots just cause the tilt was fun lol.

BTW the blue ray movie play is awesome too. Wish movies were not so much money, but cant play playstation for that.

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #10
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmoohead
I want to add that everyone is making good points and there really is nothing to add from my side.

I will however say that I have had a PS3 since launch day in North America and have not had a single problem. I leave it on for days at a time cause i often forget to turn it off. I have 7 games in my library right now and am getting F1 racing and Motorstorm this week. The games could be better (no argument from me) but I have 0 complaints about the system or the setup of the system on my end. No over heating problems and no other problems that I have noticed. Sorry to hear European problems, its really to bad, cause the system itself is fun and I enjoy it like no other. All i can say is the foul shooting in NBA 2K7 is so much fun with the tilt control lol. I sat there one night and shot 1000 shots just cause the tilt was fun lol.

BTW the blue ray movie play is awesome too. Wish movies were not so much money, but cant play playstation for that.
While in an ironic twist of fate 360's have heating and other issues and break down pretty easily, I've had mine for a year and no problems yet though. I'm actually surprised I haven't heard much reports of PS3's breaking, either Sony finally got their systems right or there simply aren't many cases of it or not enough PS3's in peoples possessions they aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Still I'm paranoid about it I went through three PS3's, my latest fat model makes grinding noises while playing but my new Slimline I got plays like a champ. The slimline doesn't heat up like when they first released, I'm quite pleased with it. But as always it could mess up; Sony has always been suspect so a two year warranty is a nice cushion.

I really wish there wasn't a bluray player in the PS3 though, if it wasn't there the system would be at least a hundred dollars cheaper, I've heard the bluray player alone may make the system take a longer time to lower in price. People I've talked too don't foresee a price drop in two years like I'm hoping for, but as always I take it with a grain of salt. But hopefully it does happen when MGS4, DMC4, Lair, Naughty Dog's untitled project, and a few other games I can't quite place right now come out I will get one. But 600 will be a pill I will not swallow, so hopefully it happens.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #11
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
I am a little confused by what you said Beretta, did you mean 3 PS2's? All I can say to your 3 failing systems is that no system has ever been perfect especially at launch. The 360 had mega huge problems and over 50% of the launch systems have been returned due to problems. (this number is actually much higher but I cant find an offical number). The PSOne had some heating problems too. I remember the Original Nintendo having some issues too with the way you put games into the system.

That being said, there has not been many reports of problem PS3's since launch. Of course there will be the odd problem, Wii itself has had the odd problem. The 360 is still having some difficulties with overheating. I could sit here and tell you how my PS3 has had zero problems the same way that someone can say the 360 they got at launch has had zero problems too. The fact is this, no mater what system you buy there is always going to be a chance it will fail in some way. And its not even limited to Gaming systems. I am now on my 4th Ipod Nano. I have had 2 High End Video Cards for my PC die way before thier time and just yesterday by brand new $135 watch stopped working.

What am I saying in all this? Its simple, buy what you want to play. There will always be risks, but its been clear that the PS3 has not had the problems that the 360 had. Of course you may want to stay clear of the deathly wrist strap of the nintendo Wii as there have been reports of many damaged TV's, Windows and Friends lol (sorry bad joke, but still funny) The Wii Strap Issue The reports out there are simply saying that there have been odd problems with different systems but nothing on a mass scale. Well since the 360 Launch Machines that is. Honestly all 3 systems have good and bad points and all 3 would be good to purchase.

I have all 3 next gen systems and me, I list them as 1.PS3 2.360 3.Wii and every single person will be different and why they are that way. I am not doing this cause I am a fan boy or that I love PS, but I have done this because the 360 has been out for a year longer then both systems and has given me nothing to show me that the early release makes it the best. Not to mention the 2 failed systems I have had so far. The Wii is to childish for my liking. The graphics are rather poor and the game play, although orginal and should be given props just doesn't give me any satisfaction as a gamer. You have to understand that I am in love with power. My computers are always top of the line and for me graphics makes up a huge percentage of a game, not just storyline. Does this make my opinion the best one, of course not, but its no different then someone who thinks Wii's orginality and new game play makes it the next gen leader. It comes down to personal prefrence. This is how it will work from this point on in my opinion..."You like Nintendo? Get a Wii, You like Microsoft, get a 360, you like Sony, get a PS3." Everyone has opinions, everyone can tell you the good the bad and the ugly of each system that is not their favorite. The PS3 games are starting to come out in streams now, the Wii has promise but will never reach the power and potential of the PS3, the xbox 360 is good and has more games at its disposal. For me its power and ability for the future, and so in my opinion, the PS3 is the way to go, if you have the money, if not, its unfortunite but totally understandable.

As for the Blu-Ray (sorry really long post), I can see your point in that PS3 didnt need to put the player in just the ability to play blu-ray games sorta like the 360 did with its inability to play HD movies. My argument and opinion on all of this is that the 360 + the HD player actually makes the same if not more then the total cost of the PS3. So if your looking for a next gen movie player the PS3 is the way to go, especially considering its the cheepest Blu-Ray player on the market. Yes agreed though, not everyone wants the next gen player and it may have made the systems slightly cheeper. On the other hand, maybe it would have been the same cost for Microsoft to add their HD player and decided not to so that they could get $200 more then the extra $50 it might have cost them to add it to each system. Makes you Think.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I don't think at that price I will be able to get it, especially with the games they're offering at the moment. I will wait for price to decrease and for games to be more interesting, then I'll think about getting one
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #13
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Judging from shops and people around here, the ps3 will see some poor sales figures... There's also no hype at all, you don't hear people about it you don't read about it. All I see about it is shops saying that if you preorder now you will still definitely get one...nuff said. Wii is still sold out though.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #14
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

(Reply to JJ's post, quoting his post would be a little long. )

Yeah I did mean three PS2's and don't get me wrong I understand the danger of being an early adopter of a system. I at the very least give a pass to when the first one breaks doesn't mean I'm happy about it but hey it happens. But all my PS2's broke at least a year after purchase, almost like clockwork and this was two or three years after the launch when most problems should be ironed out or on the very rare chance of happening kind of thing. The PS2's themselves just weren't all that well made; sure you get lucky I hear people having a launch PS2 that still works. But I got three busted and broken PS2's and a fourth one that seems to be knocking on deaths door while my Slimline performs perfectly, at least for now. Sony just did not make decent systems last gen, for the PS3 they seemed to finally make a better working system.

I'm just nowadays in general paranoid when it comes to electronics working; the vast majority of them seem to be built to specific short times to break down or at least degrade quicker then they actually should over time. My first Magnavox television broke down, and then my second one broke down just two weeks ago. Yet the Magnavox I had in my old house when I was around seven is a rather old 17 inch and is the second oldest television in the house performs perfectly. Electronics is just a huge gamble on what will happen in a span of two to ten years, it's hard to know what will truly last anymore.

My 360 hasn't had any overheating problems thankfully, and performs rather well but it does scratch some of my games over time nothing big but little marks here and there, pisses me off. But since the Warranty died back in January nothing I can do. I also haven't had any problems with the Wii straps, they may be faulty or not strong enough but I think it's mostly people swinging them around WAY too damn hard. The Wii is meant for exaggerated motions to get the most fun out of it, but these people shouldn't be swinging them so hard and fast, this isn't the MLB.

See I'm the exact opposite, I have more games for the 360 and Wii then I have had normally in a one year life span of system, just a lot of great games coming out for it that appeal to me personally. While on the other hand the vast majority of the titles I see coming out for the PS3 this year is mostly multiplatform stuff. Yeah Resistance and Virtua Fighter 5 interest me, but those aren't enough to sell me. But that's just me, with better software and the price is right I will get a PS3 for sure.

I also somewhat disagree on graphics; I'm not one of those people who go gameplay
> graphics at the top of a hat in every time that discussion is made While yes gameplay is more important then graphics I bet money a vast majority of people would turn down a game or make fun of it if the graphics were mediocre but featured awesome gameplay, even though they won't admit it. But on the other side of the coin gameplay should get more focus, you can have the best looking game on the market but if it plays like crap then it's just crap in a pretty wrapper, that might sway some people but not me. Not saying you’re like that, but many a game I personally love is deemed graphically mediocre by just about everybody.

I see what your saying for the Wii, loving power and graphics is fine but as long as you recognize the originality it's trying to bring in a generation full of badly done "me-too" games and tired retreads. I will say a lot of the Wii games right now do not take advantage of the system graphically, there are some gamecube games that are just simply breathtaking graphically and with that higher power on the Wii we get Red Steel and Far Cry: Vengeance, that's just a joke. While Zelda looks awesome graphically (least to me) and games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption look pretty spiffy themselves. While the Wii will never reach the power of a 360 and PS3 but some good looking games should come out nonetheless once developers put the time into it. I also don't know where you get the funds to upgrade a PC; they cost so much money to upgrade.

Plus from my personal experience PC's only seem to handle a select few genres really well, such as the FPS, RTS, and MMORPG genres EXTREMELY well. While most but not all do blend over decently onto a console, sure Half Life 2 on Xbox will never be Half Life 2 on PC, that's a given. But games ported over from console such as games like Prince of Persia, Onimusha 3, Devil May Cry 3, Cold Fear don't seem to carry over well at all to a PC; the control scheme just doesn't feel right for those games. So that and the high price of upgrading least on my budget is what never appealed to me for PC games. Although I do want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl so bad that it hurts, hopefully a 360 port is possible.

You do have a point; yeah the 360 would basically be a PS3 with Xbox games on it if the HD-DVD was on it, true. But I'm glad they didn't put it in there, that kind of high priced top of the line equipment should be about choice, the choice if you exactly want that kind of thing. I myself watch DVD's on a 53 inch HDTV in the living room and that suits my needs perfectly. So I would have rather preferred if Sony made the Blu-ray player a choice, if the system was 400 dollars, I would get it since I paid the exact same for a 360. Plus I'm not what you would really call a movie guy, I see quite a few movies but my DVD collection is pitiful and only contains movies I personally enjoy enough to see over and over again. Yeah Microsoft probably did the HD-DVD player add-on for an extra buck that would cost a lot less to put into the system itself but still I'm not forced to have it, so it’s fine and even still just like the blu-ray player in the PS3 it IS the cheapest HD-DVD player on the market.

I'd personally rather wait and see what DVD format dies out first, the fact that my favorite movies are being split up by these two different formats is endlessly annoying. I can't get Army of Darkness if I own a blu-ray and vice versa on other movies I enjoy on a HD-DVD solely. Sure there is a HD-DVD and BLU-ray hybrid player out, but I'd have to rob a bank in order to pay for it.

Oh and sorry for the also long response, I think me and JJ hijacked this thread.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #15
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Berserker - I don't think you will find anyone argueing that the PS3 will have poor sales figures right now, they are selling to a very limited market at the moment. However, many experts predict sony to still be the Next Gen winner at the end of 5 years. What I think is funny out of all the sales hype discussion is that everyone says Sony is nearly bankrupt or they are losing so much money. Yes its true they lose money on every system they sell, but Sony is not losing money overall. When you hear about a company losing money in Quarter 3 or whatever, they are not actually losing money, instead they are under the amount of money the experts predicted the company would make. If a bank expects to make 4 Billion dollars and instead makes 3.98 Billion, they consider that a loss. So although Sony maybe took a "hit" on their sales, they still made millions. As for not talking about it, maybe in your area, but it seems to be rather big where I am. Motorstorms release alone had a rather large following.

Beretta - Its funny you mentioned the thing about people having a launch ps2 that works. My orginal still works, I sold it to my brother but It works rather well. Some games you have to try loading 5 or 6 times before it will work, but with patience it will work.

As for buying electronics, you are right. As I said, I have been through a handful of Ipod Nano's already and their only about a year old. This is why many retailers now offer extended warrenties. I myself have a 3 year warrenty on my PS3, It was an extra $50 but I tell ya, in 2 and a half years I will take my PS3 to them and get a new one, whether it works or not.

When it comes to video games, everyone is different on what they like and don't like. Me, I love sports and racing games. So things like F1, Motorstorm, Gran Tarismo etc appeal to me more then games like Zelda or Heavenly Sword. I will probably pick of Final Fantasy on PS3 just for something else to do. (currently living in the boonies with nothing to do)

As for my thoughts of graphics, I was more saying that if a game comes out on 3 different systems, I will normally buy the best looking of the 3 games. However with that said, yes the Wii Sports stuff although can be fun, I find almost insulting as a gamer when I see the Super Nintendo quality Mario characters they use. Give me MLB The Show or Virtual Tennis 5 quality graphics with the Wii Sports and I will think different. I am sure that is on the way, and Wii will be much better when it does. However that can also be said for PS3, in that when the games start getting better, it too will be more then worth it. So it really works the same for both systems. *btw, the strap problem for the Wii was ment more like a Joke, did you see that girls window rofl. Its like you said though, the games out on the Wii don't take advantage of the system graphically. The PS3 doesn't either, thats the scary part. The games look amazing already and we have not even seen a scratch of the surface yet.

The PC is a unique gaming platform in that you decide what sort of graphics you want to use and play with. I think thats what appeals to me. The best way to experience the best games is with the best graphics, but you don't need a super computer to work like that. I totally agree that some games are only suited on the PC, and I feel the same way that some games are only suited on the Console Systems. First Person Shooters are ment for PC. I don't care how "fun" a FPS is on a console, put it on PC and its a 1000 times better experience. The only thing Consoles offer is multiplayer gaming, but that can be done on a PC also using internet or Lan and nothing I hate more then multiplayer split screen action where people know where you are on your screen. On the other hand, Sports titles are ment for the Consoles. NHL, NBA, MLB will never be the same on a PC. Yes sure you can use controllers and all that jazz, but those genras are ment for Consoles. I also feel this way when it comes to Racing games.

As for me affording it. Its really easy to afford undated computer parts if you budget a small amount of money each month. The beauty of computer parts is that they don't all come out the same day. For example, last year there was a new Sound Card system out by soundblaster and then a couple months later new videocards and a couple months later and new quad powered motherboard. If you look at upgrading something new, every couple months its a lot easier. Another thing you can do is find a computer recycling center of some kind that will buy your old parts. For me, most of my parts still have a decent shelf price when I sell them so It just makes my new part that much cheeper.

Again it comes down to your personal prefrence on the next gen movie players. I am a huge movie lover and so when new technology comes out like this its great news for me. I have a 300+ movie collection on DVD and now i get to start my blu-ray (I am up to 5 lol). I love that there is such a nice quality difference between the blu-ray and dvd pictures. We won't see the amazing pictures until probably this time next year when all top movies will be filmed with the new technology that will allow for superior pictures. You said that the extra money for the player included is what makes you deter from buying the PS3. It was the couple extra bucks for a blu-ray player that sold me on the price of the PS3. It is kinda funny how two different minds work. $400 cheeper then the cheepest blu-ray player out on the market and one of the best for quality. If I really wanted to make an arguement for it I could say I got a $600 blu-ray player and a free next gen gaming console lol.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #16
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Sorry for the double post, I just read this....

Quote:
Sony's head of Worldwide Studios, Phil Harrison, has confirmed that European PS3s will be able to play up to 1,200 PSone and PS2 games from day one, despite changes to the way the console handles backward-compatibility
From what I understand thats about 1000 PS2 games and 200 PSone.
Since this is what the orginal post was about, thought i should mention it. Now although this isnt the 98% of the games that work on North America's backwards capabilities, this is still a rather large selection of total games that can be used despite using software rather then a chip to play the games. It was also stated that through updates this number will grow. This also means that since sony is actually leading to the removal of the chip on future PS3 system releases throughout the world that It will mean a significant reduction in the costs of the machines to be produced. The chip is not the same chip as the PS2 and instead was created exclusively for development in the PS3. No longer needing the chip could mean reduction in prices for the consumer. Hardly seems like a reason not to buy a PS3 in my mind. I think back to the launch here in north america and they said how 1000's of games wouldnt work. Well a few short months later they are at 98% compatibility and with the PS2 to PS3 controller converter launching shortly, that percent will rise again. This is just a temporary set back in backwards compatibility, I realisitcally think these 1200 titles will increase drastically over the next few months, just like it did for the north american launch.

EDIT: Also stated the the of the 1000 PS2 games, it was noted that Sony policy is to focus on popular titles. It reads "Though the specific titles that comprise the list have yet to be announced (Harrison notes that Sony's policy is to focus on popular titles), it seems Sony is already far better equipped than Microsoft when it comes to fighting the inevitable onslaught of gamers complaining about their favorite title not being supported."

SECOND EDIT: Sorry I really should have kept reading before posting. Another website is stating that all PS1 games will work at launch. I have seen no report from sony to make this offical. www.itwire.com says "Interestingly, original Playstation (PS1) games are all expected to work on the PS3". If the 1000 games that are expected to work is accurate that is about 40% compatiability for european launch. With that number to increase.

The Magic Is Coming!

Last edited by jjmoohead; Mar 14th, 2007 at 03:01 PM..