Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Talking PSP Concept Art

Here are the pics

https://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/im...403_small1.jpg

https://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/im...403_small2.jpg

Again with the systems stats

UMD or Universal Media Device. This storage media is 60mm, about half the size of the traditional CD and has a capacity of 1.8GB. That's right GB. Expect massively complex, detailed gaming (for your handheld anyway). 2.4 inches.
ATRAC encoding support (Sony's proprietary sound format used in their minidiscs). This could mean it will be a multi-media device.
Graphics specs are also impressive: NURB technology for rendering with full 3D polygons.
The unit's widescreen LCD screen (480x272, that's the coveted 16:9 ratio we all love) will be backlit.
The unit's sound processing will feature full 3D sound, PCM, and will be "fully reconfigurable."
MIPS 32-bit processor.
Also, a secure ROM cartridge for anti-piracy efforts.
Super-one-chip solution for graphics, sound, etc.
Memory stick will be used for game saves. Also, for GPS functionality.
Rechargeable battery.
CPU: 90 nanometers with a clock speed TBD.
USB 2.0 connection for talking to your PC, cellphone, even your PS2.
Embedded RAM.
Supports additional video codecs (other than MPEG 4.)

Thats all for now.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Not that id ever even think about buying a hand held. But If I did id want it to have an anlaog thumbstick as apposed to the ancient d pad. I dont know about this thing. The hand held market is ruled by a younger audience and Nintendo allready has most of them in thier clutches. But then again its hard to imagine Sony being anywhere but on top at this point in any Market

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #3
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

Not that id ever even think about buying a hand held. But If I did id want it to have an anlaog thumbstick as apposed to the ancient d pad.
i prefer the d-pad myself, i'm old school like that..

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #4
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
You say "Old school" I say "livin in the past" (j/k) Whatever floats your boat

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #5
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Analog sticks or not, the little unit is still going to rock.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #6
Vulcan Raven
Spiritual Shaman

Vulcan Raven is on a distinguished road
Thats it! IM GETTING 1!

and if kens making it cheaper than the GBA then thats good!

its gonna rock!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #7
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
What I really liked about these images are...the fact that even though they are CONCEPT images, still they are totally different then what many people though it would look like.

I saw in magazines and websites making their own conceptual model and they seemed like a different version of GBA-SP, and no one was original. And Sony showed that how its done, if you want to be different.

Its something I never thought of, that it would look like this.

UNBELIEVABLE. And if the final version is anything close to this....its going to ROCK... like SSSnake said. WOW!.! Thats all.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:44 AM   #8
Vulcan Raven
Spiritual Shaman

Quote:
What I really liked about these images are...the fact that even though they are CONCEPT images, still they are totally different then what many people though it would look like.
YEAH WHAT HE SAID!
I mean, what can i say, sony are going to stamp on Nintendo and take the title of the Handheld gaming world.

And If Ken said that it is going to be cheaper than GBAs (Source: Official PS2 magazine Australia)

then IM GETTING ONE!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:14 AM   #9
Daedaelus
I'm Rick James *****

Daedaelus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim_Reaper

YEAH WHAT HE SAID!
I mean, what can i say, sony are going to stamp on Nintendo and take the title of the Handheld gaming world.
Hell no. That will never happen man, keep saying it aloud, and someone, somewhere may start believing you. No company can ever take over Nintedo when it comes to handhelds, and I know other members here agree with me. Granted, Nintendo isn't doing very well with the GameCube, but hell, GBA and GBA-SP are very powerful sellers and by the time PSP comes out, I'm 100% sure Nintendo will already have something in the works/ready for relase.

The Tree of Life...
Daedaelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM   #10
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
its really going to depend on the price... I've heard figures as high as $300 flying around, and that isn't pretty. The GBA is a quality system, but most of all it is easily affordable. Hopefully the next nintendo handheld won't cost the world...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:03 AM   #11
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Iguana

No company can ever take over Nintedo when it comes to handhelds
Anything is possible on this planet dude. If someone would have said in 1993 that no company can BEAT "NINTENDO" and "SEGA" when it comes to consoles. People would have agreed saying......."yeah" thats true. And thats what you are doing. I know ........many people will say.................."that is soo true, nothing can beat GBA and GBA-SP".

But, look what happened..............SEGA is long gone and NINTENDO is coming THIRD in the race, which is "LAST", if you see technically.

We are talking about "SONY" here. They really can do wonders.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:13 AM   #12
Vulcan Raven
Spiritual Shaman

Smile Yeah i agree!

Quote:
Hell no. That will never happen man, keep saying it aloud, and someone, somewhere may start believing you. No company can ever take over Nintedo when it comes to handhelds, and I know other members here agree with me.
Yeah well i agree with you too its just that i was trying to encourage the coming of the PSP and have good comments.

Quote:
its really going to depend on the price... I've heard figures as high as $300 flying around, and that isn't pretty. The GBA is a quality system, but most of all it is easily affordable. Hopefully the next nintendo handheld won't cost the world...
Well according to the PS2 magazine i read last week, it said Sony's PS2 guy Ken Kutukurangi (his last name is hell hard to spell!) was going to make it more appealing to gamers by making it cheaper than the GBA-SP or GBA.

So how's that?

Apologies if i am wrong (but if a magazine source is wrong then..well thats pretty sad)
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:53 PM   #13
Daedaelus
I'm Rick James *****

Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Anything is possible on this planet dude. If someone would have said in 1993 that no company can BEAT "NINTENDO" and "SEGA" when it comes to consoles. People would have agreed saying......."yeah" thats true. And thats what you are doing. I know ........many people will say.................."that is soo true, nothing can beat GBA and GBA-SP".

But, look what happened..............SEGA is long gone and NINTENDO is coming THIRD in the race, which is "LAST", if you see technically.

We are talking about "SONY" here. They really can do wonders.
Makg, you've deviated to consoles, which is not the subject here. I know that Sega was horribly defeated in the console race, and that NGC is coming in last place with the GameCube, but the Gameboy has been a fantastic seller, and not just GBA/GBA-SP, I'm talking historically; since it came out in 1983, Nintendo has sold millions and millions of Gameboys. Regardless, Sony won't be able to beat GBA, sure they may make a great system, but c'mon man, take over Nintendo in handhelds? Nah...

The Tree of Life...
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:59 PM   #14
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Iguana
Makg, you've deviated to consoles, which is not the subject here. I know that Sega was horribly defeated in the console race, and that NGC is coming in last place with the GameCube, but the Gameboy has been a fantastic seller, and not just GBA/GBA-SP, I'm talking historically; since it came out in 1983, Nintendo has sold millions and millions of Gameboys. Regardless, Sony won't be able to beat GBA, sure they may make a great system, but c'mon man, take over Nintendo in handhelds? Nah...
And why have the maintained that lead? Nintendo have had it easy in the handheld arena. Look at the contenders it had before now: Sega's Game Gear, the Neo Geo Pocket, Nokia's N-Gage and Bandai's Wonderswan. Of these, only Sega was a recognised force in the games market (on the scale of Nintendo), and we can disconsider them because the battery life was as long as the round of laughter associated with a joke from the average christmas cracker (and the price was as bank-robbingly bad as... well, the N-Gage's). The other 3 came from areas not associated with consoles at all. Arcade Game makers, phone makers Plastic Toy Makers.

There is nothing massively "special" about creating a handheld. Its just a console, scaled down with a built in screen. If you can create a games console, you can create a portable games console. Do you really think that Sony, with a proven, extensive and ardent fan-base, will have trouble selling what is just another console, providing that the software, price and battery life are good?
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #15
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
This thing may be too good to be true... Remember game gear? It was advanced for its time with great graphics and a color screen. But that baby took up 6 batteries and only lasted 30 minutes. I'm thinking the PSP will be the same. It has a latger screen, moving aprts, and 2 seperate processors. This will take up a lot of juice. Hopefully somehow they it wont have any batteries and just have a non removeable battery back inside that you just plug in the wall to recharge. Otherwise you'd be constantly going through batteries...

I think the price will be ok... just look at the Gamecube. One costs only $20 to make and it has excellent graphics. I think they can scale stuff down into a handheld and still make it a decent price.

Its just the abttery life that I'm worried about.... and as said earlier, children are the ones really using handhelds. How many adults, or even college aged people do you see walking around with a handheld? Nintendo has a solid hold of the handheld market, everyone that went against the gameboy lost greatly. The neo geo pocket only lasted for a blink of an eye. But then again the Playstation has a huge fanbase. Its really up to what the kids want and most of sony fans are adults or teenagers...
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #16
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Anything is possible on this planet dude. If someone would have said in 1993 that no company can BEAT "NINTENDO" and "SEGA" when it comes to consoles. People would have agreed saying......."yeah" thats true. And thats what you are doing.
And further on that note. Wouldn't be interesting to see this new Zodiac handheld system go somewhere? The thing features touch-screen technology just like a palm pilot. It's screen is also much, much bigger than the Ngage's which so far has been an utter failure, market-wise.

And yes, that is a great concept design for the PSP. I imagine they have a few things to work out yet, still. I think it would include double shoulder buttons on each side so it atleast has the same amount of buttons as the original ps1 controller. Two more flat analog-like pads underneath the screen wouldn't hurt anybody either.

Did I read something about connectivity to the PS2? I know NIntendo kind of screwed that idea up with the GBA and the Gamecube, but I have a feeling Sony will get it right. Won't just be a marketing ploy, hopefully.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:40 AM   #17
Daedaelus
I'm Rick James *****

Quote:
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

Did I read something about connectivity to the PS2? I know NIntendo kind of screwed that idea up with the GBA and the Gamecube, but I have a feeling Sony will get it right. Won't just be a marketing ploy, hopefully.

_RED_ stuff
How did Nintendo screw up the connectivity feature? From both experience and player's opinions, GBA-NGC linkage is top notch, with Zelda being my personal favorite

Quote:
The thing features touch-screen technology just like a palm pilot. It's screen is also much, much bigger than the Ngage's which so far has been an utter failure, market-wise.
It seems to me that the PSP is more like a PDA than a handheld console. I just hope that Sony doesn't drop a bomb like Nokia.

The Tree of Life...