Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Phenom

Phenom is on a distinguished road
Question Recommendations for 06

I need to do a bit of collecting.

So far I've asked this at every site I've been to. Which is not alot. And I couldn't get them to lay off with the internet suggestions. (I just don't have the time for it.) And some other animes were just too.... Not me (when I actually did a search to see what the anime is about)

I'm willing to give certain animes a try but those romantic type high school animes...... Let's keep clear from those because they are not for me at all. (I'm not exactly the light-hearted kind of fellow if you catch my drift)

Here's the animes I have so far.

Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Hellsing
Vandread (I'm still shocked I actually like this)
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Rurouni Kenshin
G Gundam
Gungrave

Small list isn't it?

Animes that is currently being recorded off of tv

IGPX
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig
Scryed

Currently watching Evangelion and Rahxephon

Shows that I've seen and don't like / grown tired of

Naruto
Inuyasha
FLCL
Street Fighter 2 V
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Reign (it's an animal thing)
Full Metal Alchemist (look at WR)

That's about it. The animes I mainly prefer are action and would like to see something similar to the animes I own and am recording.

Edit: Oh and I'm currently reading Bleach..... (waiting impatiently for ch211)

Last edited by Phenom; Jan 14th, 2006 at 07:10 AM..
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'm leaving out of the list anything with romance in it, especially romance in a school type of setting.

Possible recommendations:
Gankutsuou (sci-fi, drama, action, mecha) - it's not that good if you read the book The Count of Montecristo, since it changes the perfect original a lot, especially in spirit, but if you don't know the book, this show is great. the style could result annoying to some people though...
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (comedy, drama) - it's funny and entertaining yet it can be very serious at times. Sort of interesting depiction of how students/teachers see or would like to see themselves in Japan. Onizuka could become one of your anime heroes after watching it.
Jungle Wa Hare Nochi Guu (comedy, adventure) - this is crazy. it gets some time to get used to, but once you start liking it, it becomes addictive. Guu is one of the best anime characters of all times...
The Big O (mecha, action) - hmmm... you could get bored of this, since the second half is very difficult to follow... I guess its creators made it intentionally unclear for the audience. excellent animation and good style though. I'd watch it for its style only.
Genshiken (comedy) - it's school-life, but there's no romance. It's about otaku lifestyle mostly. funny and clever.
Excel Saga (comedy) - sort of demential comedy, mix of lots of genres in the same show. funny. if you didn't like FLCL this can be a good substitute for a non-conventional comedy series.
One Piece (action, adventure, comedy) - it's about pirates, but with lots of fantasy. you could get tired of this one too... it's really long... the manga is better IMO, but the TV show is pretty decent too, if you like the genre.
Azumanga Daioh (comedy) - it's school life, but no romance in it as well. haven't heard of a single person who didn't like it after watching AD. it's really good, a lot of characters insight, but in a very cheerful way. if you want a comparison, think about a Japanese version of the Peanuts (ok, not exactly the same thing, but they both share the same spirit and clever way too look at things and events). could be it's not what you are looking for.

These are the titles I could think of while posting, but later I could post some other.

Series I recommend to avoid watching (hehe):
Elfen Lied (see other thread)
Green Green
Love Hina
Gilgamesh
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
Gankutsuou (sci-fi, drama, action, mecha) - it's not that good if you read the book The Count of Montecristo, since it changes the perfect original a lot, especially in spirit, but if you don't know the book, this show is great. the style could result annoying to some people though...
I wanted to know some information on this series a long time ago when I posted it out, but no one knew much about it. I only knew it was about the Count of Monte Cristo and that it was, obviously, not faithful to the story. I still haven't seen it, but I would like to...the style seems very unique and interesting to me.

Anyway, I don't have much recommendations because I'm burning out on animes, but here are 3:

1) Gun X Sword (or GUNxSWORD, many variations): I haven't seen this because it doesn't seem that good to me but I think it's filled with lots of action and humor. I think it's about this guy wields this gun-sword-like weapon (hence the title) who is seeking revenge for the murder of his wife/fiancee. Along the way, he meets a young girl named Wendy, who is out searching for her brother (or something like that). The guy is dressed in cowboy gear-ish gear, the setting is supposed to be somewhere out in the west, I guess it's similar to Trigun except, uh, maybe not as good. Check it out if you'd like.

2) Blood+: This is supposed to be the TV series from that original movie "Blood: The Last Vampire." Again, I have not seen this (nor the movie) so I'm not sure if it follows the main character's from the movie's storyline/background or not. There probably is a lot of CG-ish animation, but the style actually does look nice and well-rounded. If you're into vampires (seeing Hellsing on your list, hehe), you might like this.

3) Trinity Blood: Another vampire series. I've seen about 2-3 episodes and I actually lost interest in it, despite my adoration for vampire anime. But, it might be good for you. There are action elements, some humor, the main character, Abel, is a cross between Alucard from Hellsing and Vash from Trigun. There seems to be a lot of "Vash" spawns in animes nowadays, so if you're not really into the "goofy-but-uber-skilled" characters, then maybe this one isn't for you. The story is a bit confusing at first, but I think it might spread out clearer as the story moves on.

EDIT: Whoops, here's a fourth one I forgot to mention:

4) Mushishi: Not sure if there's lots of action in this, but I think it could be more of a drama series with supernatural elements. It could be a slow-paced series (like "Witch Hunter Robin" maybe) so you may not like it, but you can give it a try. I only know briefly about it, so check out this link to find out more.

I hope this helps a little.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Jan 14th, 2006 at 11:03 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
I wanted to know some information on this series a long time ago when I posted it out, but no one knew much about it. I only knew it was about the Count of Monte Cristo and that it was, obviously, not faithful to the story. I still haven't seen it, but I would like to...the style seems very unique and interesting to me.
I couldn't reply earlier. I finished watching this series a couple of months ago... I wanted to finish the book before watching it: wrong idea, because I had lots of prejudices. No wonder, since the book is so perfect and amazing you can't beat it, no matter what. Reading the book completely spoiled the anime for me. Both are great products (even if I don't like some choices like 3d graphics), but the anime is really missing the main points of the book, so a series which is good from many points of view seemed somewhat weak and couldn't really impress me like I hoped. Still, this is a great anime, I can't deny it. One of the best among the most recent ones I could watch.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #5
Phenom

I thought I forgot to mention an anime that I didn't like.

One Piece. It's not so much as hate towards it because I've only seen very little of the dubbed version. It's more like it's not for me. I don't really care much for pirate shows, movies. (outside of Pirates of the Carribbean)

Anyways.... I see a bunch of comedies listed..... One that actually looks like it may creep me out (not creep as in scary) because of a picture I saw.... Azumanga Daioh. I saw a picture of a girl with pigtails and big buldge eyes.... (I was like WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE ABOUT TO GET ME INTO)

BIG O "SHOWTIME" I've seen parts of it. I wanted to record it but unfortunately, I don't have any spare tapes around here and I don't feel like going to go by another blank tape. I did like what I see though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryl
3) Trinity Blood: Another vampire series. I've seen about 2-3 episodes and I actually lost interest in it, despite my adoration for vampire anime. But, it might be good for you. There are action elements, some humor, the main character, Abel, is a cross between Alucard from Hellsing and Vash from Trigun. There seems to be a lot of "Vash" spawns in animes nowadays, so if you're not really into the "goofy-but-uber-skilled" characters, then maybe this one isn't for you. The story is a bit confusing at first, but I think it might spread out clearer as the story moves on.
The main one that caught my attention. But sadly isn't in english. Do they have any mangas? If so, you know of a place where I can download them?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp

One Piece. It's not so much as hate towards it because I've only seen very little of the dubbed version. It's more like it's not for me. I don't really care much for pirate shows, movies. (outside of Pirates of the Carribbean)
Well, I mentioned it because many DBZ fans (and DBZ is among the ones you listed) like it. I repeat, the manga is a lot better. The TV show is really slow compared to it (the dubbed version is terrible IMO).

Quote:
Anyways.... I see a bunch of comedies listed..... One that actually looks like it may creep me out (not creep as in scary) because of a picture I saw.... Azumanga Daioh. I saw a picture of a girl with pigtails and big buldge eyes.... (I was like WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE ABOUT TO GET ME INTO)
Well.... It could be it's not for you. I said it in my post too. The show is a lot more clever than it seems only looking at some pics. but if you have anything against schoolgirls or stuff with no action in it, it's not the right thing for you.

As for Trinity Blood.... The fact the main character is like Vash and Alucard mixed together... that left me very skeptical about this show. That's one of the things that impressed me in a negative way. I think there are better shows if you like horror or vampires.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:

Believe it or not, it's an incredibly popular series, even in Japan. Obviously, the dubbed version is awful (as any dubs are, no offense to fans) but perhaps the Japanese version is better?

Quote:
One that actually looks like it may creep me out (not creep as in scary) because of a picture I saw.... Azumanga Daioh. I saw a picture of a girl with pigtails and big buldge eyes.... (I was like WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE ABOUT TO GET ME INTO)
No one said you had to watch it...Panuru was simply suggesting it, meaning if you want to check it out, feel free, if you don't, then don't. There's no need to get all dramatic about it. I can understand your sentiments about Azumanga Daioh though, because this series isn't too appealing to me, even after reading the English translated manga.

Quote:
BIG O "SHOWTIME" I've seen parts of it. I wanted to record it but unfortunately, I don't have any spare tapes around here and I don't feel like going to go by another blank tape. I did like what I see though.
Well that's good that the show seemed to appeal to you, even though if you haven't seen the first season, it might come off as too boring...second season is full of action and more plot twists, just to let you know ahead of time.

Quote:
The main one that caught my attention. But sadly isn't in english. Do they have any mangas? If so, you know of a place where I can download them?
I believe there is a manga series of Trinity, but it's very hard to find, for some reason (even in Japan). I know for sure that it's based off of a Japanese novel, then turned to a manga series...again, I don't know if you can find the manga or even downloads. I'm sorry, I can't help you here.

Quote:
As for Trinity Blood.... The fact the main character is like Vash and Alucard mixed together... that left me very skeptical about this show. That's one of the things that impressed me in a negative way. I think there are better shows if you like horror or vampires.
Well, maybe I should clarify the whole "Vash-Alucard" combo thing: Abel is more like Vash in terms of personality (goofiness, clumsiness, etc.) but his skills are like Alucard (and the fact that he's a vampire too) and Vash combined. I hope I cleared up Abel's personality/character a bit better. The combination does work surprisingly, but, like I said before, if you're tired of this cliched combination, then Trinity wouldn't be a good series to watch. And I agree: there are better vampire series out there.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #8
Phenom

Quote:
Well.... It could be it's not for you. I said it in my post too. The show is a lot more clever than it seems only looking at some pics. but if you have anything against schoolgirls or stuff with no action in it, it's not the right thing for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryl
No one said you had to watch it...Panuru was simply suggesting it, meaning if you want to check it out, feel free, if you don't, then don't. There's no need to get all dramatic about it. I can understand your sentiments about Azumanga Daioh though, because this series isn't too appealing to me, even after reading the English translated manga.
Oh no no no... Don't take that the wrong way.... It was a thought in my head moreso than a ..uh...uh, I can't think of the words I'm looking for but the thought was more like "what am I about to get into" Didn't mean to make that some offensive.

And as far as One Piece goes.... There's not much I can really say about it... (But I'm actually tired of DBZ. I'm about to sell it. It's just in my short stash of animes)

*edit list*

Edit: O...k.... I would edit the list if I could. DBZ is with the animes I don't like / grown tired of.

Last edited by Phenom; Jan 18th, 2006 at 05:22 AM..
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #9
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
G Gundam? Not an anime I've watched, but I hear Gundam fans say it's inferior. You could always branch out from there... no brainer is to watch Gundam Seed (pretty good) and its sequel Gundam Seed Destiny (which is possibly the single most poorly composed 50 episode series I've ever seen, so on second thoughts... edit: no wait, that accolade belongs to ZZ Gundam...), but if you want to get adventureous you could give the original series a try. At the very least watch the First Gundam Movie trilogy so that Zeta Gundam will make sense for you... because Zeta Gundam is the be all and end all of Gundam . They're releasing 10 episodes to a volume in the US at the moment, meaning that it's incredibly cheap and probably worth a look. I'm also a big fan of Turn-A Gundam but most people's interest falls of when they realise that Syd Mead gave a Gundam a Moustache (heracy!) and that it's either something you gel with or simply find talky and boring... (and it's fansub only)

When you think about it, there's so much Gundam out there that you could pretty much fill up 2006 watching it all. I know I filled up 2005 watching most of it

Other suggestions... Paranoia Agent is great, but if you find psychological thriller type anime like Serial Experiments Lain a little pretenious, it may not be for you. It's about how the street-attack of a stressed, young office worker by a small child with a pair of golden roller-scates and a baseball bat develops into a city-wide hysteria. Darkly comic, scary and intriguing. Better than Lain IMO. Plus it's made by Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers - all films worth seeing).

Escaflowne? Perhaps a little too girly... the first episode always seemed to be drenched in it. But it has some great action sequences and may just surprise you. Great Teacher Onizuka? I'm hardly a fan, but I've seen bits of both the Live action and Anime versions, and even read a Manga volume. The story of a pervert who gets a teaching job with a feel good centre? It's better than it sounds.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
I really cannot add anything to this thread. Everybody gave you great suggestions, and you already watched some of my favorite anime series (Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Gungrave, Hellsing). I just wanted to give my 2 cents about a couple of series already mentioned in this thread.

I loved Great Teacher Onizuka. As kupo said, it is much better than it sounds. I rarely had so much pure fun watching an anime, and most of the merit goes to Onizuka, one of the greatest and most original anime heroes/anti-heroes.

And as strange as it sounds, Azumanga Daioh is probably my favorite anime series. It's a bit Charles Schulz meets Japanese anime and manga... the world of AD is so delicate, poetic - at first, I thought it was "just" another cute anime, but it's so much more.

Oh, and I don't understand if you already watched it - but don't miss Trigun!!!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
G Gundam? Not an anime I've watched, but I hear Gundam fans say it's inferior. You could always branch out from there... no brainer is to watch Gundam Seed (pretty good) and its sequel Gundam Seed Destiny (which is possibly the single most poorly composed 50 episode series I've ever seen, so on second thoughts... edit: no wait, that accolade belongs to ZZ Gundam...), but if you want to get adventureous you could give the original series a try.
G Gundam probably is inferior compared to most of the others. I didn't care for it too much. For a fighting / mecha type anime it was sort of a let down for me. As far as Gundam Seed and Destiny, I guess I could try it out although I've been getting alot of mixed opinions about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
At the very least watch the First Gundam Movie trilogy so that Zeta Gundam will make sense for you... because Zeta Gundam is the be all and end all of Gundam . They're releasing 10 episodes to a volume in the US at the moment, meaning that it's incredibly cheap and probably worth a look. I'm also a big fan of Turn-A Gundam but most people's interest falls of when they realise that Syd Mead gave a Gundam a Moustache (heracy!) and that it's either something you gel with or simply find talky and boring... (and it's fansub only)
O_o.... a Gundam with a moustache..... That's hard to picture. I don't mess around with fansubs though. (no time and I share a computer with 3 other people...... x_x)

Ok, I guess that settles it then.... I'll give most of these a shot. Thanks. (swallows pride and orders Azumanga Daioh 1st)

Edit: O_O!!!!! I didn't list Trigun.

Question for meryl or anyone that can answer it. Outside of Trinity Blood, are the other animes you listed on DVD or VHS? (yes, I cherish my tapes ^^)

Edit 2: Before I forget. I got a friend who mentioned a anime call Now and Then, Here and There or something similar to that title, is it any good?

Last edited by Phenom; Jan 20th, 2006 at 10:06 AM..
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:02 AM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Question for meryl or anyone that can answer it. Outside of Trinity Blood, are the other animes you listed on DVD or VHS? (yes, I cherish my tapes ^^)
All the series listed here, except for mine (those are still running in Japan, sorry!) are on DVD/VHS...I don't know about Gankutusou though...I thought it hasn't been licensed yet, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Edit 2: Before I forget. I got a friend who mentioned a anime call Now and Then, Here and There or something similar to that title, is it any good?
happy_doughnut is a huge fan of this series and she keeps recommending it to me, which I would've seen except I'm not that big a fan of mecha or overly-depressing series...but it's supposed to be extremely good and a good recommendation if you enjoyed Evangelion or RahXephon. You should ask her though because she's seen the entire series and would give you better insight.

You Can Help

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM   #13
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
My personal suggestions. All amazing. Some are in the US at the moment, some are still being subbed.

Full Metal Panic! - Military based show, lots of actions, good amount of comedy. Just fun

Full Metal Panic!: Second Raid - Sequel to the original Full Metal Panic! More of the same still great.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - Spin-off. Basically a love comedy, with a few military aspects. Probably my favorites outta the three.

Beck - Music anime dealing with a band trying to make it in japan. Good character development. Starts out slow but its worth watching.

Basilisk - Ninja anime. Very realistic and tragic. This is no Naruto. Fun to watch. Mature audiences only.

Bleach - Probably my favorite anime. Its kinda hard to put into words, but watch it!

Blood + - As Meryl mentioned, its loosely based on Blood:The Last Vampire. Great animations and character development, probably one of the fastest growing in popularity.

Full Metal Alchemist - Just watch it

Getbackers - Probably one of the funnest animes ever. Deals with a team of retrivial experts and there many adventures. Great character development. I dunno its another one that I can't really describe.

Other mentions

Tenjou Tenge - Martial Arts
Monster - Mystery/Suspense
Naruto - Ninja/Martial Arts/Drama/Comedy
Yakitate Japan - Comedy
Samurai 7 - Samurai/Drama
Elfen Lied - Drama/Mystery
School Rumble - School/Comedy
Speed Grapher - Action/Mystery/Drama
Trinity Blood - Vampire/Drama/Action

~Will

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gankutsuou is good, haven't watched all of it tho...

On the other hand I found Trinity Blood weak. I haven't watched a cool horror series in so much time now... I tried with Histuji no Uta, but was very repetitive (thanks god only 4 eps...), Elfen Lied is completely pointless. Mixing all this cute stuff with gore... what were they thinking? GANTZ is a decent horror series. I'm planning to see if Narutaru is good. It's marked as "horror" but from the screens doesn't look horror... anybody knows anything about it?

I'm watching Speed Grapher now. Seems good so far. Could be another option.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #15
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
All the series listed here, except for mine (those are still running in Japan, sorry!) are on DVD/VHS...I don't know about Gankutusou though...I thought it hasn't been licensed yet, but I could be wrong.
The licensed or not matter is a bit different here where I am living. Some series are not licensed at all in Italy, or the release is ages after the rest of the world That's why I have to watch some stuff on fansub
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #16
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Sasuke

Monster - Mystery/Suspense
This is really good. I started watching it only a week ago, but so far seems it could even be included in my faves list (I want to watch all of it before including it anywhere, lol)... I also bought the manga which seems excellent as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Sasuke

School Rumble - School/Comedy
Isn't that what Scorp was trying to avoid? Isn't that also "romance"? So this makes it a "romantic high school" type of series... I don't know, I'm just saying it because it's being listed as romance in many anime sites...
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #17
Aubrey McFatum

Aubrey McFatum is on a distinguished road
I suggest you to watch PLANETES. It is good. It's different from many other series. It's sci-fi. The right amount of action and drama, with some comedic moment. I liked it.

Do you believe in God?
The question is does God believe in me?

Aubrey McFatum
Aubrey McFatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #18
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey McFatum
I suggest you to watch PLANETES. It is good. It's different from many other series. It's sci-fi. The right amount of action and drama, with some comedic moment. I liked it.
Oh yes, I forgot about this series. It's pretty good if you like sci-fi.