Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Final Fantasy XII (The Official Thread)

questions,impressions,comments all go here

Picked it up earlier this morning around midnight,bought the collectors edition with the bonus dvd. It's packed with some neat extras, the game feels more polished than the demo version. Text in the menu is smaller, and the graphics are a bit more polished/sharper.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM   #2
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
I think even Kupo is gonna have fun with this.

I was driving at Midnight last night and for the heck of it, I went to Wal-Mart to see why there were so many cars out.

I see a line of about 50 teens/adults waiting to buy their copy. I actually had a tear in my eye because my ps2 is busted (old age). I CAN'T PLAY FFXII!!!

Hopefully Kupo won't mind doing a review.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM   #3
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
If you don't mind waiting until February for it... or whenever it is that we get it in the UK and I'm living in the same house as my PS2!

I'm optimistic for it certainly. Some are adamant that it's the best thing that has happened to Final Fantasy in a while. Shame the change doesn't include me being able to play it quicker
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM   #4
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
If anybody wants to snag FFXII for a cheaper price circuit city is selling it for 37.99 and comes to about 40 with tax. That's where I got it today but the thing is I didn't get it for myself. I bought it for a friend of mine who really wanted it and it's basically an early Christmas gift. I've been disenchanted with FF for a while now but I'll be able to see if this game will reel me back into the series again when he brings it over sometime.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:02 AM   #5
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMourdor
I actually had a tear in my eye because my ps2 is busted (old age). I CAN'T PLAY FFXII!!!
Man, that sucks big time. Are you planning on getting it fixed or buying a new one (or a PS3, )?

I don't know if I'm going to buy it yet because I'm still somewhat wary even though magazines are raving about it and stuff. Since kupo won't be able to review it till February or so, Infernal...mind doing the honors?

I do hope it's good...it'll make the JP LE 4 disc soundtrack I bought back in August (yeah, I'm stupid like that, lol) all that much more worthwhile (I didn't open it yet because I planned on selling it if the game isn't good ).

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Nov 2nd, 2006 at 05:03 AM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
eh. im still getting used to the battle system. otherwise it's instantly familiar - from the music to the clans - if you've ever played Tactics Advanced. But it's interesting.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Infernal Mass
pariah

It certainly feels like an FF game, with influence from Vagrant Story. Which is no surprise given the pedigree. FF+VS makes for a nice combination, if I may say so myself. The presentation is just top notch, square-enix quality, FTW.

The new combat mechanics feel fluid, the transition between battle and exploration is smooth, and it helps immerse the player into the game..rather than making a dramatic shift from map to battle screen as previous FF games have done. It feels like an evolution of the series in that regard. Now don't get me wrong here, I don't really have much of a negative opinion when it comes to random battles. They just don't make or break an experiance for me. I played all the way thru Dragon Quest 8, and that game was great. This new combat system works though, gambits are there to cover menial task like healing or using eyedrops on a afflicted party member. Who really wants to stop in the middle of battle just to use eyedrops?

The battle system could've probably been a bit more streamlined, as one of the developers mentions on the Collector's Edition DVD interview..but it's not so complicated that it feels like a chore. As a cross reference for gambits; it feels like going into a battle while being prepared for anything you may encounter, rather than previous FF games where one would go into battle not knowing what to expect, and dealing with the consequences as they occur. You can still make commands, but the menial tasks (healing,remedies etc.) as mentioned before are already forseen ahead of time.

I haven't finished the game but those are my impressions so far.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Nov 2nd, 2006 at 11:36 PM..
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM   #8
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
question: how many hours into the game are you anyway? ive only logged in just under 3 hours...
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #9
Asirae

Asirae is on a distinguished road
I just got one quick question about how long does the game take to complete? If its short im debating on just renting it till I beat it or if its a longer game I will just buy it. Any insight would be a big help thx.
Asirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Carlito
Puerto Rican Knight

Carlito is on a distinguished road
Like most Final Fantasy games, anything between 50 to 100 hours; most of the additional hours come from grinding, a bit more from reaching the most hidden stuff in the game... but I am betting there is a lot you will miss the first time you play the game, unless you follow some game guide.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #11
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
It was about freaking time this game came out. I am definitely getting it, expect from me a very shallow review where I mention how bad ass the game play is and how much the graphics rock. lol

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #12
Asirae

Asirae is on a distinguished road
I have been playing for about 20 hours now and I have to say im pretty disapointed. Is vann really the antagonist of the game because he really doesnt talk at all and doesnt seem very important to the story line. Im hoping theres a twist or somthing soon or I might lose interest
Asirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #13
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asirae
I have been playing for about 20 hours now and I have to say im pretty disapointed. Is vann really the antagonist of the game because he really doesnt talk at all and doesnt seem very important to the story line. Im hoping theres a twist or somthing soon or I might lose interest
This Final Fantasy differs in that regard,.backgrounds are covered to an extent, and attachment is limited. There's not going to be any over-arching love stories etc., Instead the game is more focused on the main conflict at hand, rather switching back and forth between main conflict and personal conflict. These characters do evolve during the course of the journey, but it isn't as dramatic as past FF games have been.

Also you have antagonist/protaganist confused.

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #14
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
It certainly feels like an FF game, with influence from Vagrant Story. Which is no surprise given the pedigree. FF+VS makes for a nice combination, if I may say so myself. The presentation is just top notch, square-enix quality, FTW.

The new combat mechanics feel fluid, the transition between battle and exploration is smooth, and it helps immerse the player into the game..
Man, I totally agree, it definitely felt like playing Vagrant Story once again, I really like that about this game, I have not played much yet (about 3-4 hours into the game, just started using Gambits) I already love the game, the story rocks, the only thing that has not wooed me is Vaan, although he's not as homo as I thought he'd be (in fact, he's not homo at all, he just got a really gay outfit) (no offense against any gay-oriented players, but you gotta understand that if I'm %100 masculine I want my "avatars" to be the same)

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #15
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen
(in fact, he's not homo at all, he just got a really gay outfit)
Some of the FF costumes are rather less "gay" than they're simply horrid. I don't imagine most of them would get past the Queer eye guys. Tidus didn't get past the Fashion SWAT.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #16
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Some of the FF costumes are rather less "gay" than they're simply horrid. I don't imagine most of them would get past the Queer eye guys. Tidus didn't get past the Fashion SWAT.
Agreed, just what the hell happened when FF games came out for PS2? The coolest outfit for the main character on FF games I have played is Squall's, Cloud's was cool but too bland, but at least didn't look gay.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #17
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen
Cloud's was cool but too bland, but at least didn't look gay.
Ironically, Final Fantasy 7 has the most literally gay scenes in the entire series all directly involving Cloud.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #18
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the review Infernal. Just one quick question to those who have played it: is there voice acting in the cutscenes and if so, how are they? Sorry for the stupid question, I just haven't really paid attention to any news on the game.

Quote:
Ironically, Final Fantasy 7 has the most literally gay scenes in the entire series all directly involving Cloud.
I'm curious, which/what scenes? I played FF7 about 2 years ago and I didn't really see anything out of place.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #19
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
I'm curious, which/what scenes? I played FF7 about 2 years ago and I didn't really see anything out of place.
Cloud's rather lenghty cross-dressing interlude (which if you have all the best items chooses the Don to pick cloud, and his taking you to bed doesn't end until the others burst in!), the big gay hot-tub at the Honey Bee Inn (one of the things you can do in the quest to make Cloud the prettiest girl in the FF7 party) and the Barret version of the Gold Saucer date pretty much outweigh the gaiety found in any other FF game. I was always a little suspicious of the Gold Saucer owner too

I hear good things about the voice acting in FFXII.

Last edited by kupoartist; Nov 14th, 2006 at 09:23 AM..
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #20
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Cloud's rather lenghty cross-dressing interlude (which if you have all the best items chooses the Don to pick cloud, and his taking you to bed doesn't end until the others burst in!), the big gay hot-tub at the Honey Bee Inn (one of the things you can do in the quest to make Cloud the prettiest girl in the FF7 party) and the Barret version of the Gold Saucer date pretty much outweigh the gaiety found in any other FF game. I was always a little suspicious of the Gold Saucer owner too
Oh, these scenes. Unfortunately, my Cloud wasn't chosen although I could've sworn I did everything there was to do.

Hmm, I guess Cloud's to blame for all the current effeminate outfits, j/k

Quote:
I hear good things about the voice acting in FFXII.
That's a relief because I don't want to have to wait until I'm in the middle of the game to finally get used to the voices, like in FFX.

You Can Help