Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Sports And Racing

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:59 PM   #1
bince

bince is on a distinguished road
Question Logitech G4 ForceFeedback Wheel

Question: Has anyone else noted the awkward shifting associated with the G4 wheel? Once the wheel is turned more that 20-30 degrees, shifting is no longer possible. I have adjusted my driving style in the lesser cars, but on the F1 circuit, this is really hampering my lap times! This effectively forces you to have all of your braking and shifting done before you start the corner, which is generally a good rule, but at F1 speeds on tight tracks, this isn't always possible.
I have checked with Logitech, who said that it sounded like a problem and I should replace the wheel. This I did, but had the same result with the new wheel. This otherwise excellent control is a bit of an aggravation due to this issue. I suspect this is simply a problem with the GT3 code at this point (too many parameters moving thru the USB port or something).
Any thoughts/advice?
bince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:13 PM   #2
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Re: Logitech G4 ForceFeedback Wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by bince
<snip>This effectively forces you to have all of your braking and shifting done before you start the corner, which is generally a good rule, but at F1 speeds on tight tracks, this isn't always possible.<snip>
I haven't used or seen the Logitech wheel. Does it have F1 style paddle shifts?

As for the comment about braking - that's exactly what you're meant to do. Brake and shift down as you approach the turn, then foot down and power through the apex. Perhaps this wheel was designed to encourage you to drive 'properly' so to speak...?

The best wheel I ever used was a Thrustmaster wheel for the PC. It was top notch - you had a gear stick instead of paddles! This meant you could pull some insane corners by dropping down and kicking the back end out! Great fun!

Your grievance aside, is the Logitech G4 worth the money? Does it really add anything to GT3? My previous experience of console wheels is that they feel far too light and flimsy.

- S
Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:08 PM   #3
bince

bince is on a distinguished road
Yes, it does indeed have the F1 paddles!

If you would have asked me the question "Does it add anything to the gameplay?" when I first got it, you would have received a lukewarm response. But, now, after quite a few more hours (quite a few), I simply cannot go back to my original non-forcefeedback wheel. The way that GT3 gives the input back to you thru this wheel really enables you to receive the sensory cues that you need to immerse yourself in the simulation. The graphics go a long way in this feedback loop to your senses, but as good as they are, they can't give you all the cues you need. The feedback you get with this thing will have you knowing *just* when you are about to break the tires loose, knowing *just* how much you can push this corner. Per the braking/steering issue - on all but the F1 series, it will make one a better driver by insisting that you get all of the braking/shifting done before you enter the corner. But - the F1 cars are just too fast, and the Monaco circuit too tight to give you time to work a shift, or double shift, in when you need to. Or maybe I just suck...
It feels solid, and comfortable to hold and you only have to calibrate once per session (unlike my experiences with the PC versions where you would have to pause from time to time to get the thing re-centered again). I do like that it already has all of the standard PS2 buttons in place, no need to re-map buttons.
One more note I guess I should mention, I did create an 18 inch tall, slightly tilted toward me, table to clamp the wheel to. By sitting in a low beach chair, and tilting up the pedals to meet my feet, I have approximated an F1 seating position. Much better than trying to do drive with the wheel in your lap. This has defintely enhanced my experience with the G4. Now if I could only figure out a way to mimic the g-forces associated with accel/decel and cornering...
Should you spend the $80? If you crave reality, this is better than spending the $$ on one of real cars! It has really prolonged the fun that I have been getting out of this game.
bince is offline   Reply With Quote