Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #1
duovash55
Banned Member

duovash55 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Would you play FFXII

Well I was reading my playstation mag. when I saw somthing very strange.
FFXII isnt going to be the same battle system from the original. Its going to be more like the .hack battle system(Wich i think was terrible)The only good thing is its based on the same world as tactics.(Not the Craptastic gameboy advance one)Is it just me or ever scince square teemed with enix theyve gone down hill just look at some of the games being released drakengaurd now that game was bad.ffx-2 nice lookin girls but craptastic story (why would yuna use guns i mean come on now) and now FFXII looks like the next big disaster i hate .hack's battle system its terrible grrrrr i just hope they dont ruin dirge of the cerubus and kingdom hearts 2 I also thought FFX Had the wosrst story out of the whole thing the boss is a floating piece of poo. please state your opinions
duovash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Dactrius is on a distinguished road
Square's never let me down before. And I more than think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

[PS2]: N/A
[XBox]: N/A
[GC]: N/A
[PC]: N/A
Dactrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #3
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
Hehe, another rant about battle systems. This is going to be an on going debate for every FF out there as long as they continue making these games.

FFXII will just have another different battle system. Personally, "Don't knock it til you try it". It may be similiar to the .hack battle system, but Square Enix always has some originality with their systems. Only games I haven't seen a problem with is ATB.

I remember there were debates on why FFVIII had a horrible system with the Draw/Junction abilities. I personally liked that system, but I know others won't even play the game because of it.

We'll find out soon how good/bad the system is when we play the game.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Kaolla Su
Banned Member

Kaolla Su is on a distinguished road
i agree that FFVIII system was awsome. probably the best one. 8 is my favorite. But for FFXII, I dont think ill like not controlling all of my characters. Thats lame. Ill still buy the game of course. Ya know to check it out. Even if i dont like the batttle system ill get used to it eventually. And maybe even like it! I dont know.
Kaolla Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMourdor
I remember there were debates on why FFVIII had a horrible system with the Draw/Junction abilities. I personally liked that system, but I know others won't even play the game because of it.
I liked the system, but I'll be the first to admit that it was almost impossible to fathom for a first time player. I'd go as far to say that I didn't really understand the Junction system until I'd completed the game. From that viewpoint, it's very easy to see why people hated the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovash55
Not the Craptastic gameboy advance one
Actually, it is based on the GBA Tactics rather than the original: the races of the GBA Ivalice are all in there, and one of the party characters has (pretty ridiculous) bunny ears.
Quote:
Is it just me or ever scince square teemed with enix theyve gone down hill
Nope. Final Fantasy X was made before they teamed up, and FFX-2 was in production before that as well. Any fall in quality (and I'm going to be honest and say that I agree that Square's games aren't as good anymore) is completely down to square itself.

As for the battle system in FFXII. Change is good, and I'll just have to wait and see. Will I play FFXII? Almost certainly yes... i'll just be rather more reluctant to part with my money than I used to be for a FF game...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #6
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
I'd go as far to say that I didn't really understand the Junction system until I'd completed the game. From that viewpoint, it's very easy to see why people hated the system.
I think the chief reason many did not like the system (And I'm including myself in this group) is that its' precursor was the materia system, and let's be honest, that whole concept was almost a masterpiece. Following it with what was basically 'storing spells for later', was pretty much a step backwards. It did the job, I'll say that much, but we expected something far more than what we were given. Whatever game followed FFVII would always have been the target for a lot of scrutiny.

The proposed battle system for FFXII has me intrigued. I haven't played any .Hack games, but I have heard a summary of the battle system. I do think it does feel out of place for a Final Fantasy game, but we are dealing with the same company that turned a Disney title into one of the best RPG releases of recent years. I have complete faith Square Enix can do something very innovative with this system and I for one won't dismiss the game before I've played it. That would be a tad foolish.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #7
duovash55
Banned Member

[
Actually, it is based on the GBA Tactics rather than the original: the races of the GBA Ivalice are all in there, and one of the party characters has (pretty ridiculous) bunny ears.

Nope. Final Fantasy X was made before they teamed up, and FFX-2 was in production before that as well. Any fall in quality (and I'm going to be honest and say that I agree that Square's games aren't as good anymore) is completely down to square itself.

As for the battle system in FFXII. Change is good, and I'll just have to wait and see. Will I play FFXII? Almost certainly yes... i'll just be rather more reluctant to part with my money than I used to be for a FF game...
[/QUOTE]

First off you didnt read your scource right if you think its tactics advance. its the original tactics world .secound im sorry i miised typed on the whol ffX and X2 was square I was pressed for time .Third thanks for agreeing.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #8
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Quote:
First off you didnt read your scource right if you think its tactics advance. its the original tactics world
Actually, it's not, Kupoartist is right. One of your party members in FFXII, Fran, is a Viera. Viera's are a playable race in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Also I believe Bangaa's are present in FFXII, again a Tactics Advance race. Perhaps you should read your sources correctly?

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #9
duovash55
Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactrius
Actually, it's not, Kupoartist is right. One of your party members in FFXII, Fran, is a Viera. Viera's are a playable race in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Also I believe Bangaa's are present in FFXII, again a Tactics Advance race. Perhaps you should read your sources correctly?
just cause theres chrecters from advance dosnt mean the world is its based on the world of ff tactics
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #10
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Both Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance are set in the same world, Ivalice. But Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy XII both have the same races, so if anything it's more apparent Final Fantasy XII is set in the same Ivalice as Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. (Though to be honest, I presume it's neither and rather it's set in its' own Ivalice).

If you have proof otherwise, rather than just your words, then let us see it, please.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 02:00 AM   #11
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
The only thing similiar is that the name of the area is Ivalice. Why? Cause they like the name.

The Ivalice of both Tactics games are completely different. They don't even look close to the same. Tactics Advance just showed how Ivalice could have evolved. Expanding as more races came to Ivalice. FFXII could just be a further evolved Ivalice.

Either way, all we can tell right now, is that some of the races in FFXII are similiar to the races in Tactics Advance. That could be because of two reasons.

1. Square Enix is attempting to continue the Ivalice evolution while keeping some of the former elements that were great.
2. They got lazy and just grabbed ideas to throw into the mix for the new FF.

We aren't going to know much more until the game is released and we are able to demo it for ourselves. Quit this mindless bickering.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #12
duovash55
Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMourdor
The only thing similiar is that the name of the area is Ivalice. Why? Cause they like the name.

The Ivalice of both Tactics games are completely different. They don't even look close to the same. Tactics Advance just showed how Ivalice could have evolved. Expanding as more races came to Ivalice. FFXII could just be a further evolved Ivalice.

Either way, all we can tell right now, is that some of the races in FFXII are similiar to the races in Tactics Advance. That could be because of two reasons.

1. Square Enix is attempting to continue the Ivalice evolution while keeping some of the former elements that were great.
2. They got lazy and just grabbed ideas to throw into the mix for the new FF.

We aren't going to know much more until the game is released and we are able to demo it for ourselves. Quit this mindless bickering.
AGREED!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #13
kamari-ice

kamari-ice is on a distinguished road
Remember: FFT and FFTA were not a true sequel to the Final Fantasy series. Many gamers did not buy FFT and FFTA, but Squenix saw drastic incline of sales with these games. (I am not implementing that all the gamers of Final Fantasy did not buy those games, but most did not experience it.) With that in mind, Ivalice could evolve and be one with the game series. *It is not like they are bringing back Spira for another direct-sequel to FF10, anyways, Ivalice is not that similar to FFT and FFTA; a great example would be the trailers of both games, there is some resemblance, but most things have changed, Ivalice is now a vast enormous place in FFXII. The characters in FFXII are not miniature either. Then again, many people like the FFT and FFTA setting.*

Yes, there is a change of the battle system, nobody had a problem with it until major gaming sites started bringing up that gamers could possibly lose interest in the game series. It is funny how people listen to the news and actually obide by it. I actually would like the system, because numero uno: less battles and encounters, numero dos: there will not be that annoying flash thing before every battle, and numero tres: the character can enjoy walking more instead of riding Choci's and Airships. I think someone said this before me, but I will repeat, do not trash a game before you play it. Do not judge a game by the press; Squenix actually cares about us because they delayed the game so much, just think of the difference when they release it, the old version could have been bad. So look at the pos. not the neg.

The storyline will be better than any other game, since they went back to step one and revised it, it probably was bad before. I wonder if there are any more characters that the game has that are playable, and have not been released to the official site yet?

EDIT: I am more than likely, definitely, going to buy this game when it comes out.

Last edited by kamari-ice; Feb 11th, 2005 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: addition to post
kamari-ice is offline   Reply With Quote