Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 02:16 AM   #21
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
The Nintendo Gamecube, put simply, is a great machine that runs better technology than the PS2. It has a lot of great exclusive games, especially from the geniuses at Nintendo, and their semi-alliance with Capcom can probably give us a lot of good things to expect in the future. Personally, I have no use for certain Mario-type games, but there is much more than that available. Also, you have to remember the Gamecubes great accomplishment of securing a large number of third party deals, especially with ports of multi-console titles. The N64 failed miserably at this. Everybody is so quick to blame Nintendo for putting out a bad console, but the Gamecube is indeed an worthy achievement in my opinion and the reason it has not sold as well as the other two consoles is people see it as the one with the most "childish" games, but the ones worth a more mature audience's attention are there as well.

I don't see what the point of complaining about the price drop is. Nintendo needs a solution for lacking in sales and this is the one they are going for. And considering the price drop is so drastic, they probably can't afford to cut prices in their games. Look at the older one's, though. THey are so cheap! And buy some used games for heaven's sake! I bought RE Zero and Metroid Prime for a combined price of 40 bucks!

Stop complaining!

Ok, I'm done now. Hope I did not offend anyone.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #22
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

The GameCube system is 22 months on the market and already priced for half of what the original release price was. The GameCube is exactly to me what the N64 was, a system with a few good games that you may occasionally like. It doesnt compare in any way to the ps2 as far as the games or the ability to market themselves. Nintendo is lowering the price because no one is buying the GameCube and they have taken a huge financial hit, lets all just be honest, they are in trouble in the console market. In the handheld market hopefully Sony will give them a kick in the bootie also, and potentially just get Nintendo to doing something constructive all around... Im sure they can always go back to making playing cards full time.
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #23
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
Yea, they are getting Desperate. Consoles usually go to that price when they have no more hope or already dead.

I'll be picking one up, though. There are some games I want to play that are exclusive to the gamecube. I just don't like thier funky controller...
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #24
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
I apologize to Axuma for not responding to his question, I didnt catch that part of the post, or I was drunk, or...I dunno.

Quote:
Vicious I was just wondering what were the flaws you mentioned that the GameCube had since day one?
The Gamecube...put simply, weather you like it or not, is geared towards a younger audience. Thats not where the gaming market is going. Its going towards games like GTA, not friggin Mario or Billy Hatcher. While I can respect that they havent just sold out and started mass producing games that display blood and guts, its just not smart. The kiddy market (Obviously) isnt keeping them in the running sales wise with Microsoft and Sony.

And lets talk features.

Is it capable of playing DVD's like the PS2 and X Box. NO

Early Online support like Sony and MC ? NO

A descent controller ? NO

And they dont have a whole lot of great games for the Cube. Maybe as many as the X Box. Every game rental place I go too has less Cube games than X Box games and most of the GC games either suck or feature little animated kids or cute fuzzy animals.

You can argue for Nintendo all you want. But they arent selling well....and thats the bottom line. They arent dropping prices as an out of the blue strategic move. They are doing it because they havent sold half as many systems as they projected . Im not saying it isnt a good move, it is, im sure they will sell more . Im just saying its a desperate move. It doesent mean theyre going to fold, who knows, they very well might come out with an awesome next gen system in 2006 that blows sony and MC out of the water. The Gamecube is a good system it just doesent stack up, and thats why it isnt selling well.

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #25
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Juts wanna counter a few points here.
Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003
The Gamecube...put simply, weather you like it or not, is geared towards a younger audience. Thats not where the gaming market is going. Its going towards games like GTA, not friggin Mario or Billy Hatcher. While I can respect that they havent just sold out and started mass producing games that display blood and guts, its just not smart. The kiddy market (Obviously) isnt keeping them in the running sales wise with Microsoft and Sony.
Sadly Nintendo do have the stigma of being a 'kiddy' console maker which is not all that deserved. For example, from Super Mario 3 onwards, there are certain features within the game (secrets, etc)that a 'kiddy' would have great difficulty with but cos it's presented as a 'cute' platform game it's perceived to be 'kiddy'.

With the Cube, Ninty have taken a more adult oriented approach. Games such as Soul Caibur 2, Res Evil, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Burnout and so on are definitely not 'kiddy' games (I can't help but notice the irony in that SC2 is so simple to play yet not considered 'kiddy' - much more simple than Super Mario World in my opinion), and a lot of the big releases are multi-format (SSX, SC2 and so on).

Unfortunately the stigma is still attached and will take some time still for the casual gamer to ignore this.
Quote:
And lets talk features.

Is it capable of playing DVD's like the PS2 and X Box. NO

Early Online support like Sony and MC ? NO

A descent controller ? NO
Nintendo have always maintained that the Cube would be a games machine and that's it - and as a piece of hardware it's got great specs. As for the controller, I think thats something that can only be measured by personal preference. I know people who hate the PS2 controller. Different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
And they dont have a whole lot of great games for the Cube. Maybe as many as the X Box. Every game rental place I go too has less Cube games than X Box games and most of the GC games either suck or feature little animated kids or cute fuzzy animals.
As I said before, the Cube has its fair share of more 'adult' games that feature no furry animals at all. They're there if you look hard enough for them.
Quote:
You can argue for Nintendo all you want. But they arent selling well....and thats the bottom line. They arent dropping prices as an out of the blue strategic move. They are doing it because they havent sold half as many systems as they projected . Im not saying it isnt a good move, it is, im sure they will sell more . Im just saying its a desperate move. It doesent mean theyre going to fold, who knows, they very well might come out with an awesome next gen system in 2006 that blows sony and MC out of the water. The Gamecube is a good system it just doesent stack up, and thats why it isnt selling well.
You're right, the Cube isn't selling as well as it should be and I blame that mostly on the 'kiddy' image Nintendo has gained over the years. However, whilst the casual gamer is prone to such falicies, should the likes of us guys/gals, who have a greater interest, be affected too?

I say no. A good game is a good game whether it be cute looking or not. I would class a kiddy game as something that is simple to play rather than how it looks. And for me, the Cube offers games that appeals to me.

Don't get me wrong, PS2 is still my fave system. But I do own PS2, Cube, Dreamcast, PC, PSOne and GBA. I play games - not systems.

- S
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #26
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Im not saying the Gamecube is only for little kids, Id like to have one myself to a certain degree. And im not saying that all games featuring childish cartoons are bad either. Hell,Super Mario Sunshine is one of my favorite games ever. But games like that just dont excite people . Sure Sunshine was talked about but Nintendo needs games that are super hyped. X Box has its Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, Fable, etc. PS2 has more games than that that earn similar hype. What does the Gamecube have ?. The RE series ?, no wait you can get most of those on the PS2 as well. And that series is tired anyway. GTA ?, no thats on PS2 and soon X Box, not the Gamecube.

Sure games like Animal Crossing, Mario whatever, and Super Smash Bros, are good, they just dont sell or earn hype like GTA, Halo, etc. Thats what Nintendo needs, some super hyped original game (Besides Metroid Prime) that isnt based around a cartoon animal trying to restore order in his forest and save it from the evil Doctor Pollution (Just an example ). Those can be fun, but who wants to admit to playing them ? Much less buying them. Give me Halo or GTA over Animal Crossing any day

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #27
pilgrimage451

pilgrimage451 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, at that price I know what my sister's getting for her birthday (she's a big fan of games like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon... not that I don't enjoy those type of games myself) and I may get one for myself as well (mmmm... Zelda). C'mon Microsoft, you know you want to do the same thing!

Incidentally, I couldn't stand it if all games were Halo and GTA. They're fun games, don't get me wrong, but all I do in GTA anymore is drive around really fast, having fun with the physics. You can only behead a hooker so many times with the katana before you get bored. Games like Animal Crossing are just as good, IMO, and have incredible replay value. But, yeah, Nintendo is a little heavy on the cel-shading.
pilgrimage451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #28
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
I couldn't stand it if all games were Halo and GTA
I dont remember saying I wanted all games to be like Halo or GTA. Maybe you can point that out for me

I just said Nintendo needed more titles like Halo or GTA or Ninja Gaiden. Something epic