Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Question Favorite PC games and recommendations

As the title says, for those who play PC games, what are some of your favorites?

Normally I hate playing games on the PC, especially those shooters/action titles that are better suited for a console (like the "GTA" or "Splinter Cell" series). The only games I will play on the PC are suspense/mystery/horror adventure, either third-person or first-person. Some examples:

- Still Life (my favorite, I absolutely love this game)
- Post Mortem (could've been great...)
- Shivers (so old I know, but it was very good)
- Siberia (haven't played yet)
- Moment of Silence (haven't played yet, but seems promising)
- Scratches (recent, haven't played yet)
- Indigo Prophecy (I played this on the PS2 though...but it was very good)

If you do play these types of adventure games, could you also recommend some other titles similar to these?

Also, I heard about some older LucasArt titles, such as "Grim Danfango" (sp?) and it's considered one of the best games out there. Has anyone played it?

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
- Still Life (my favorite, I absolutely love this game)
- Post Mortem (could've been great...)
- Shivers (so old I know, but it was very good)
- Siberia (haven't played yet)
- Moment of Silence (haven't played yet, but seems promising)
- Scratches (recent, haven't played yet)
- Indigo Prophecy (I played this on the PS2 though...but it was very good)
I can honestly say that I haven't heard of any of these games, with the exception of Siberia which I seem to remember was panned quite badly by critics. Actually, that's a general rule. Most PC review sites distance themselves from the existance of such games I guess this is kind of a rude and horridly stereotypical thing to say, but you'll genuinely have more luck asking on a forum for housewives about these games: Most PC gamers are males, and i'll be surprised if many people even on this forum are familiar with these games, which are popular mainly among females, who primarily use their PCs for work and only play games for casual recreation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
Also, I heard about some older LucasArt titles, such as "Grim Danfango" (sp?) and it's considered one of the best games out there. Has anyone played it?
It's Grim Fandango (like the dance). I too have heard good things about it, that's it's hilarious, but I never did get round to playing it. I think you can still buy it, but it may be hard to get running on a modern PC.. or it may not. Personally, I adore the first two Monkey Island games. They're very witty and good fun to play. The Third game was so-so, mainly because the voice-acting killed the experience (stupid whiney Guybrush grrr) but also because it just wasn't as funny, probably because the original creator left (Oh, and the story should have ended after the second one's ending). The fourth I haven't played, though I hear it's somewhere between the two in quality with the added bonus that it'll probably definitely work on a modern PC.

Sadly, there's really not a lot to recommend. Adventure gaming was killed off in the mid 1990s, mainly because of Tomb Raider and all the Action / Adventure immitations it spawned. They simply had more market appeal I guess. You get about 5 proper adventure games a year now, and most are judged to be pretty bad. I think people are quite hyped about a Sam & Max sequel, but that's the only adventure game I could name to be emerging anytime soon.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
if your looking for those point and click adventure games look for those classic Lucas arts stuff, like kupo said adventure games are pretty much dead.

ill list some good stuff for you:

Sam and Max
Full Throttle
Monkeys Island
Manic Mansion: Day of the Tenticle
Grim Fandango

oh, for the more recent stuff, check out Psychonauts, its an action adventure/platform game, its made by Tim Schaffer, dude who worked on those classic Lucas Arts stuff..

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
I recently found a website that is dedicated to reviewing adventure games (mostly PC ones) so when I find that link again I'll make sure to post it in this thread.

I also suggest Condemned, it may be more "arcadish" in terms of gameplay style but the story and scares are just as good as any other adventure game. There is a demo out for the PC version now, you could give that a spin I've only played the 360 version but it is my favorite game from the launch and in my top ten, it was an amazing game experience. A PS3 version is also on the way, since Condemned is already out for 360 and nearing release for PC I wager it will be a launch title for PS3.

There is also another adventure game I've been following here and there It's called Dreamfall: The Longest Journey 2 for Xbox and PC, it looks like it could be pretty good.

Here's IGN page of it.
https://pc.ign.com/objects/535/535842.html

Then there’s another game called Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth which I heard was really, really good. It's both on Xbox and PC. It's a first person adventure game with light FPS elements added in, but only at certain moments so the adventure aspect is the main front of the game, I've been meaning to try it myself for awhile, just never got around to it.

https://xbox.ign.com/objects/496/496019.html

That's about all I have in terms of remembering off the top of my head, I'll dig deeper later and suggest more when I feel like searching through tons of games.

Also Meryl tell me how Scratches is, I discovered that game a few months ago and now that it’s out I’m wandering if it’s worth it. I’m not much of a PC gamer the only games I’ve played on PC are RTS, so once you play it and get a good impression of it let me know if it’s worth the time.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #5
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
I got Grim Fandango lying around somewhere, never got to playing it. But like Kupo said it might be hard to run it on modern pc, cause it's at least 5/6 years old.
I used to remember a pc-game called Phantasmagoria, which I really really liked kinda adventure/detective/occult/mystery-type game(phew...) but that one is even older than GF.
The only game I play nowadays is Return to castle wolfenstein:Enemy territory, which is the best online fps'er IMO. It's just too addictive.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote