Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #1
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
The anime bug has finally bit me...

I used to be a casual DBZ viewer like everyone else. Then one day I borrowed some cowboy bebop tapes from a friend. Damnit... I should've never done that. I done got myself hooked...

I ended up buying all the episodes and now I have a thirst for more. But thing about it is that I only know of crappy anime shows such as Tenchi Muyo. Not to offend the Tenchi lovers out there but I absolutely hate it. I cant sit and watch 10 min. of it.

But anyways, I have no idea on what to buy. Im afraid what I'll pick up will downright suck and I'd feel as I wasted my money. So what anime series do you guys recommend for me to buy?
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:35 AM   #2
Seraph Sephiroth

Seraph Sephiroth is on a distinguished road
okay, you're a guy right? SO! .. let see.. you like Cowboy bepop... you should try Gundam Wing! Also there's Trigun and and and and... G Gundam is pretty okay too! ^_^ and and and... umm... Yu Yu Hakuso is alright ^_^ and and and... I'll think of some more later! too tired!

"Let's take back the planet together..." -Seraphim Sephiroth
Seraphim Sephiroth's Sephiroth Shrine
Seraph Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #3
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
You'd like Outlaw Star I think, I only watch Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Kenshin...Kenshin...Kenshin.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #5
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Definitely Kenshin. I would recommend DB/Z but you said you watched it casually, so I won't. Check out Inuyasha.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Big Dude
mwahahaha...

Big Dude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by mark0

You'd like Outlaw Star I think, I only watch Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.
And Hellsing!! Hellsing is awesom!
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
I’m so glad that yet another happy young sould has been converted into a fan of anime. I’m so happy for you. Here are the animes that I own, and a few that I don’t but still suggest you seeing. I already have Cowboy bebop, but it seems that you don’t need to be explained about what that one is about. So here I go.

To start with,

Neon Genesis Evangelion: 26 episodes long, 2 movies, released in 1995, made by Gianax and ADVision. This is one of my favorite series. It’s also considered one of the greatest anime series ever made, praised both Japan and America. It’s a mecha anime, but for the most part, it’s more of an emotional, drama, mind grinder if anything. The characters in Eva are very diverse, and more complex than characters found in any other anime I can think of. The emotion, feeling, and sensitivity which is put into the personalities of each individual in the show is amazing. For the first half of the series, the show is pretty much a comedy, filled with amusing mecha battles, and happy go lucky humor, but as the show progresses, by the second half, there is no laughter allowed during this show, it becomes very dramatic, confusing, and powerful, sad, violent, and superbly f*cked up. After watching the entire show, you will be begging your parents for a therapy session, I assure you. This is still a highly loved anime, and any person who is a fan of it should be ashamed to not have at least seen it. But I assure you, this is a must, and the money is well worth it.

Vision of Escaflowne: 26 episodes long, 1 movie, released in 1998, made by Bandai and Sunrise. This is also a mecha anime, and is again, one of my favorite series. It was originally made in Japan, intended as a chickflick, or shoujo anime. But was surprisingly found loved by all sexes and ages, seen as a very awesome series, with brilliant characters, mechas, and artwork. It’s an awesome fantasy anime, and action, along with comedy making many appearances in this show, along with deep scenes depicting love and emotional struggles among characters. The characters deserve so much attention in this show, they way they are drawn out so beautifully and creatively, the personalities, and the stories behind each character make the show very unique. No matter what kind of person you are, you will find at least one character in this show that appeal to you. The animation is awesome, although there is no computer graphics to move the artwork along, it still looks great. The most attention I give to it is with it’s mecha designs. They are brilliant and very original. The way they move, and fight, and pretty much everything that makes a giant robot in an anime look cool can be found in this. And the last part, the music is superb. Done by the very well known, Yoko Kanno, and Maaya Sakamoto, the soundtracks for both the series and the movie are awesome, and have been pointed out from many critics and fans. This was the first show to get me into liking anime, and I have seen it many times, then I bought it, and it was well worth the money. One of the greatest purchases I have made. Like before, I suggest this to anime fan out there.

Hellsing: 12 episodes long, no movies, released in 2002, made by Gonzo and Pioneer. If you like dark, violent, vampire action oriented anime, this is for you. Even though it wasn’t very popular in Japan, it’s quickly becoming a very enjoyed show all over America. This is a very original show, with the character designs and the artwork all in itself make this show very distinct from any other. The main characters are all bitchin’ bad asses, and that’s what makes them so cool. The show is quite good, but after the second half of the series, it begins to loose it’s sweetness, and starts getting repetitive, but still continues to give the viewers what they want, seeing the main character go up to his opponents and kick their asses into the f*cking ground. The music is also quite different from the average anime I’ve seen. It’s quite cool and adds depth to the series, and the atmosphere to the scenes. So far, I’ve seen the first three of four DVDs, simply because the last one doesn’t come out till tomorrow the 21st. Then I’ll buy that one as well and complete the series, a great purchasing decision I think.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #8
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
And for the second half...

X: 26 episodes long, 1 movie, released in 2002, made by CLAMP and Pioneer. With this anime, I am talking about the new series, not the 1999 version, which I haven’t seen, but it’s supposed to be the exact same thing, just that the new one has much better animation and music and whatnot. So I’ve just seen the first two DVDs, and the movie, so I know how it all ends by now. And the third one comes out next week the 28th. But I’m sure that my synopsis on the series is still trustworthy. To start off, Id like to say that this is probably going to be my favorite series when it’s all out on DVD and in my collection, where they belong. This is a very quick, action, fantasy, drama, and more action, and more drama, which makes this series so cool. It’s a modern day action show, involving lots of sweet ass battles and unbelievable characters to add along with the compelling story and fast paced fights between many bad asses with really cool powers. Not confusing you with anything from the well known DBZ this is nothing like it at all. The characters are funny, have very realistic characteristics and all have very unique personalities which help you really get into the show and the people in it. The music is also something which should be given plenty of notice. It’s very powerful, and has been given great scores in Japan, and seems to be very appreciated here in America as well. Done by X Japan, which is my favorite J-Rock band, makes it even more enjoyable to me. This is an awesome series, and just by seeing the first seven episodes and the movie, I already say that it should be seen by all.

Gundam Wing: 49 episodes long, 1 movie, released in 1996 (I think), made by Bandai and Sunrise. This is one of the most popular and well known mecha animes out there. It’s a very fun and lengthy story, which is not nearly as long as it may seem. The story is very well though out, and makes the audience always waiting to see the next episode. The battles are really awesome, and so are the robot designs. The original mecha anime, along with what’s said to be the ground breaking anime of it’s time, the mobile suit Gundam series has always been commended on its mecha designs and will always be for a long, long time to come. The characters are really cool, and you find yourself liking both the villains and the heroes, always wanting both of them to come out victorious. The music for Gundam Wing is classic among all anime soundtracks. Most of which is done by Two-Mix, which find joy in making very fast, upbeat music, fitting the series perfectly. It’s a great futuristic, war with earth and space. It’s surly a beloved anime for many people, of all ages. I’m certain that you’d find joy in this one. Sadly enough, the box set is not available in the town where I live, so all I own is the movie. But as soon as it comes up here, I’m gladly taking 200+ dollars out of the bank and buying it.

08th MS Team Gundam: 12 episodes long, 1 movie, released in 1995 (I think), made by Bandai and Sunrise. This is another classic Gundam series. Probably my favorite, and is usually the favorite of the Gundams for many of the Gundam fans out there. It’s part of the original Mobile Suit Gundam Series, and is very good at depicting war, but with giant mechs that are used instead of tanks and fighter jets. The characters are fun and very enjoyable, and the main characters are very deep, with struggles between a love for two people who are ranking officers on different sides of the war. It’s very well done, and is pretty much everything that is good about Gundam Wing. So I’ll just leave it at that.

The Golden Boy: 6 episodes long, no movies, released in 1995, made by Shueisha and ADVision. I’ve already posted about this series in detail on another thread in this forum, so you can look it up there. All I can say is that it is a show oriented towards males, but I know of girls who like it as well. It’s pretty much just a very perverted hilarious comedy. That’s all I need to say.

Outlaw Star: 26 episodes long, no movies, released in 1998 (I think) made by Bandai and Sunrise. This is an action, futuristic, space adventure anime. I found this a great show. It’s filled with plenty of fun episodes to keep you interested till the end. Very funny, and plenty of cool shoot-em-up scenes. Though it was a complete failure in Japan, it was still found very successful in the US, after airing it on Toonami in 2001, it found a home in thousands of anime fans hearts. It’s the first series I ever bought and I thought it was a great show. Good action scenes, and easily kept me content throughout the whole thing, with great characters, and awesome space ship designs, along with cool character designs as well. But It does begin to get sloppy half way through for a few episodes, where the animation isn’t as good as it usually is, it still ends up looking great by the end. I suggest anyone who has satellite, or cable to check this show out on the adult swim on Saturdays late night. It’s worth staying up for.

Rourunin Kenshin: very long, not sure exactly, 2 movies, released in 199? (not sure), made by two companies that I’m still not sure of. Anyways, even though I’m not very familiar with the details behind the series, I still know that it kicks a lot of ass. It’s a samurai genre, and is quite comical, along with having some sweet ass fighting sequences. The animation is great, and the characters are cool as well. I’ve only seen a few episodes of the series. My sisters have over half of the series on DVD, and I’m hoping to get a chance of watching more of the episodes, because it’s very, very good. I can’t really go on with the explanation of the aspects of the show. But I’m sure that Suzuki can. He seems to like it a lot. Anyways, I think it’s good anyways, and I’m going to buy the box set as soon as it’s available where I live.

Trigun: 26 episodes long, no movies, released in 1996 (I think) made by two companies that I’m still not sure of. Anyways, I’ve only seen the first three DVDs of this series, thanks to my good friend 007jamesbond. The series is very, very funny, as in slapstick comedy, plus a lot of outrageously f*cked up facial expressions that can get anyone to laugh. The series does begin to get much deeper, with a lot of history with the main character. It’s a western actually, taking place on a different planet, but is still very creative and original. Lie I said with the previous anime, I can’t really give a detailed summary of this anime, but I’m sure 007JamesBond can. I’m also going to buy the $200 box set as soon as I finish up a few more series.

There are others that I could go into detail with, but I’ll just let that be it. My fingers are tired by now anyways. But I will list the few movies I own, and ones that I suggest as well as great anime.

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Tenchi in Love
Armitage III Poly Matrix
Armitage III Dual Matrix
Ninja Scroll
Macross Plus
X Movie
Slayers the Motion Picture
Escaflowne the Movie Girl in Gaea
Evangelion Death and Rebirth
Evangelion End of Evangelion
Bio Hunter

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #9
Suzuki_Fanboy

About Kenshin:

I don't know the exact number of episodes, but yes, it is very long. There are 4 OVA's at the beginning that are compiled into two discs, each containing two OVA's (Samurai X: Trust, and Samurai X: Betrayal.) At the end there are the Seisou Hen OVA's that are the definite end to the series. There's one movie that doesn't follow the plot, and there are some important manga's. If you want to know more about it, I'm sure that Meryl would know better than I

Also...watch Mobile Suit Gundam!!! It's especially great if you like sci-fi stuff, and it's the one that started all the Gundam's. It's great...good battles, amazing story...etc, etc.
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #10
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
Thanks poeople, and uhh... thank you cannibal for that extreme amount of information.

I remember seeing macross plus before but I never saw it all the way through so I dont really know what its about. I might get it one day. I also will check out Outlaw Star and Hellsing next.
Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:06 PM   #11
Suzuki_Fanboy

Quote:
But I’m sure that Suzuki can. He seems to like it a lot. Anyways, I think it’s good anyways, and I’m going to buy the box set as soon as it’s available where I live.
I could only tell you about half the plot, and that's sketchy. It's been a while...but I do know that it kicks MAJOR ass and as soon as I get the opportunity I'm going to rewatch it as many times as possible.

Sorry dude, they don't have a box set (in America). Unless you want to buy bootlegged stuff for 200+ bucks, then you're out of luck. Yes, I was pissed off too. I want one so bad
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:08 PM   #12
OpOverDose

OpOverDose is on a distinguished road
How about some Hellsing..gotta love that...Uhmm Well these are not series, but good anime movies..uhhh Ghost in the shell...Akira...OMG the Guyver anime series owns...uhmmmand spawn anime even tho it's not japanese i dun think..
OpOverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:10 PM   #13
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Other movies you might want to check out are:

Vampire Hunter D
VAmpire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:31 PM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Everyone mostly listed off all the good animes out there already and the ones that CC listed should be a good start for you Chara.

As for Kenshin info, it was released in 1996 and there's 95 episodes (the 95th is a secret episode that was only released on VHS in Japan). There are a total of 6 OVAs: 4 episodes dedicated to Kenshin's past and the other 2 dedicated to the true ending of this saga. OVA 1 (released around 1997/1998 in Japan) are the ones released in the US already: Trust and Betrayal. OVA 2 was released in Japan in 2002 so it's not out in the US yet (and it might not make it to the US, I'm not sure).
There is a movie called Samurai X: The Movie and like Suzuki said, it's just an independent plot and has nothing to do with the main story.
Just a warning: if you're able to get fansubbed animes, do not watch OVA 2 (Seisou-hen or The Finale) of Kenshin unless you've finished watching the TV or finished reading the manga. It'll just spoil everything.

And like ZeroSniper said, NOIR and Beserk are pretty good and you don't have to look for NOIR fansubbed anymore since it's about to be released in the US. Some other animes/movies I'd recommend:

Gensomaden Saiyuki: If you know the story of the Chinese tale, The Monkey King, then you would like this series. Yes, I admit, some of the CG used in it can look awkward, but the story is overall pretty good. The story is about this priest named Genjo Sanzo, who has to go on a journey to rid of the world these Demons that are infesting the world. He has three companions who are supposed to protect him: Son Goku, Cho Hakkai, and Sha Gojyo. In the real story of the Monkey King, the priest is supposed to just...be all holy and stuff and his three companions do all the protecting and fighting. In this anime, however, Sanzo is a priest who gambles, curses, uses a gun, drinks and all the stuff that a regular priest shouldn't do. Son Goku is the "monkey" of the real story. Ah, yes it seems confusing, but give it a try anyway.

Perfect Blue: This movie is just great. A psychological tale of the hidden side of an idol's life....it's dark and suspenseful. I don't remember too much of it (it's been a while) but I remember that it gave me creeps and chills. Or that could just be me. If someone here remembers the story, they can help you more than me.

Spirited Away: Argh, I haven't been able to see this yet (and it's sitting in front of my TV -_-;; but I heard it's terrific. Apparently, it's even better than Miyazaki-sensei's previous movie, Princess Mononoke. I wish I can give you more information on the story, but if someone here has seen it, then they'll be able to help.

Witch Hunter Robin: Okay, this anime isn't licensed yet but from the first episode I've seen, it's good! A Gothic-ish anime that deals with a company who rids the streets of vampires, witches, ghouls (almost like Hellsing, but not). The main character is a girl name Robin who uses sunglasses to help her. Sounds weird, but it's not bad.

HeatGuy-J: Ahh...if anyone wants an anime that's slightly similar to Cowboy Bebop, then this anime is recommended. It's actually one of my favorites so far. Too bad this isn't licensed in the US, but once it is, I'll let you guys know. This anime is about this special department detective Daisuke Aurora who has a partner name J (or Jay) who is a robot. A robot dressed and made to look like a human. From the episodes I've seen, the storys vary but it's focused on this clan of "Vampires" with the head master being a young teenage boy. His father recently died and left him in charge. The boy is basically a psycho and one of those I-wish-I-can-beat-him-to-a-bloody-pulp type guys. This, of course, is just one of the main stories. The other part of the story will focus on Daisuke's past. Of course, that's not revealed yet. So you can see why this is almost like CB...the setting takes place in the future. Just think of this as the movie, Bladerunner.

I have a whole bunch of other animes that I'd like to list, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to download or buy any of these animes. These are the ones that are pretty much licensed in the US, (except "Witch Hunter Robin" and "HeatGuy-J") so they're easily accessable. I hope this helps a little.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:34 PM   #15
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Since the majority of people have listed what I'd probably list I might as well list one.

Macross Plus.

Oh, and if you can find it somehow, Voltron!
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:39 PM   #16
Suzuki_Fanboy

Voltron = teh winz0rz.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:28 PM   #17
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

It took me awhile, but I finally saw the end of Princess Mononoke after only seeing the middle. That was a little over three months ago.