Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:33 AM   #1
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
My Job Rocks!

Well, i was at work on friday... Nothing too important untill the new shipment of movies for the upcoming week came in. In the box were two new DBZ tapes. As an employee of Hollywood video, i have a responsibility to play new tapes and create an interest. SO, i popped in the new tapes and played them all night long...
there were some complaints, But i was surprised at the amount of Anime fans there were in my quaint little town. I just thought i would tell all of you that Anime is alive and well in the smallville too!
Has anyone else noticed the sudden increase in the popularity of Anime?

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:52 PM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Hey, that's pretty cool! Yes, the popularity of anime has increased drastically over the last 3 years. More and more different animes are being licensed and released in the US, but still....there are some animes from Japan, that probably won't appeal to some audiences or just some that might not be licensed at all. Examples: Kanon, Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, Sister Princess, Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Noir, and many more.
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I had a cousin that worked at suncoast video for a little over a year she'd always tell me when new videos were coming in and give me big fat nasty discounts on all merchandise, she would even give me movie posters too...it sucks that she doesn't work there anymore, now that i have a DVD player
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:08 AM   #4
nanjij
The Dark Prince

nanjij is on a distinguished road
ive never once seen a piece of dbz merchandise anywhere in england,
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:08 AM   #5
Spirit

Spirit is on a distinguished road
hmm that's a nice job indeed. I was thinking of going into such industry myself as a part timer to get some spare loot >.<
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #6
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

Yeah, i love my job. The only thing that you really have to deal with is the complete ignorance of some people. They really dont have the common desency that all humans do. NE ways, back to topic.
I remember about three years ago, it was "uncool" to like anime. Now I can come out of my shell and show my true DBZ colors ie: Shirts, Cards, Binders, ect. and not be scrutinized, but praised for all the cool stuff! God bless open mindedness!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by trunks69420
I remember about three years ago, it was "uncool" to like anime.
That's very true. In my case, whenever I drew, a lot of people would say, "Oh....she has big eyes. Why?" or "Man, she looks like Barbie. Do you still play with that stuff?!" But now, there are many people who watch it, so there's no more of those stupid questions, except from the ones who haven't watched it.

Quote:

Now I can come out of my shell and show my true DBZ colors ie: Shirts, Cards, Binders, ect. and not be scrutinized, but praised for all the cool stuff! God bless open mindedness!
Hmmm.....maybe it's just me, but I'm not so sure if it's open mindedness that brings people to anime. Personally, I think that people are more attracted to anime now, only because it's the "rave" now, so everyone who doesn't know it or watch it, is "uncool". For examples, there are many people in my school who say they are "true anime fans", they watch everything related to anime and never miss a thing. Then, when I ask if they've ever seen Fushigi Yuugi or Trigun.....they shake their heads. They spit out that they only see the most "popular" ones and those are the ones that are shown on Cartoon Network (DBZ, Sailormoon, Tenchi Muyo) and Adult Swim (Cowboy Bebop). I'm not sure if anyone sees my point, but it just seems to me that people are just drawn to the ones they see on TV and that's only because it's the latest and coolest thing. I understand that many students or kids won't have the money to buy many animes (Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, etc) so they wouldn't know many others. However, I know some people who don't have much $$$ but they try to find out different animes from their friends and watch them from their friends too. I don't have a problem with those who don't like or know much anime, but it just kinda aggravates me when they think that the ones they show on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim are the only and most popular animes in the world. Ahh.....but maybe that's just me.
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:23 PM   #8
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Hmmm.....maybe it's just me, but I'm not so sure if it's open mindedness that brings people to anime. Personally, I think that people are more attracted to anime now, only because it's the "rave" now, so everyone who doesn't know it or watch it, is "uncool". For examples, there are many people in my school who say they are "true anime fans", they watch everything related to anime and never miss a thing. Then, when I ask if they've ever seen Fushigi Yuugi or Trigun.....they shake their heads. They spit out that they only see the most "popular" ones and those are the ones that are shown on Cartoon Network (DBZ, Sailormoon, Tenchi Muyo) and Adult Swim (Cowboy Bebop). I'm not sure if anyone sees my point, but it just seems to me that people are just drawn to the ones they see on TV and that's only because it's the latest and coolest thing. I understand that many students or kids won't have the money to buy many animes (Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, etc) so they wouldn't know many others. However, I know some people who don't have much $$$ but they try to find out different animes from their friends and watch them from their friends too. I don't have a problem with those who don't like or know much anime, but it just kinda aggravates me when they think that the ones they show on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim are the only and most popular animes in the world. Ahh.....but maybe that's just me.
I feel the same way... But in my opinion, a little anime is better than no anime at all. If DBZ, or Sailor Moon opens the door to others, than bring it on! Personally, I watch DBZ most of the time, but series like Trigun and Final Fantasy are awesome too, but unavailable to the general public. What we need to do is to be a driving source behind the anime market and provide the answers to the unknowing public. "Mission Accepted"

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:13 AM   #9
Slrjoecool

Slrjoecool is on a distinguished road
Hmm... about that subject... I believe in that all the way... I am a big Sailor Moon fan, and I personally don't like DBZ, but I am still open-minded about the whole thing... It's not like I go around and say that Sailor Moon is the best anime ever and DBZ is pond-scum, because it's just not true... Sure, I don't like DBZ, but others, like Trunks, likes it, and people have the right to their opinions. Key word there is opinion. So, if you like DBZ, cool, if you like something else, cool. If you like Sailor Moon and are a girl, give me a call.... (Just kidding about that last part...)
Slrjoecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 02:03 AM   #10
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Talking

I envy your job!

Anime's popularity has certainly increased, and is still growing, but there's still a good way to go. Anime is such a vast universe...

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:56 AM   #11
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
one of my friends is going to work at funcoland and they have anime stuff there too.