Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #41
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I rented it today for X Box and i must say. I am NOT impressed. I really dont know what earns this game a ten out of ten as its gotten from so many reviewers. I mean, what really sets this game apart ? It seems to me to be just like any other fighting game ive played. And I dont think it comes close to comparing to Virtual Fighter 4. I played it on the first difficulty and beat the game (Arcade Mode) with spawn in less than 20 minutes. There was almost no story element to the game and I found the fighting itself to be on par with most descent fighting games but I certainly wasnt wowed. The environments were bland at best and could have used some multi teers to spice things up. Im going to get deeper into the weapons mastery mode but that so far appears to be a training course that i really dont want to waste my time with. Practicing overhand chops isnt my idea of fun. If I were to review this game on a scale from 1 to ten using .5 intervals. Id give Soul Caliber II for the X Box a solid 7.5 out of ten.
This game is much better then Virtua Fighter 4. The Weapon Mastery mode is challenging and rewarding. It beats the crap out of Virtua Fighter 4's mode. Using weapons makes the game that much better. The choice of characters is better. The fact that there is an actual story makes the game better. The stages are better.

You're right it doesn't come close to Virtua Fighter 4 it far surpasses it.

Any way, I'm not really into Fighting Games. Once I play fighting games for 1-3 hours I get bored. But this is the best fighting game I have played ever.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #42
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by BeetleJuice

what kind of downloadable content is on the Ps2 demo?
the tekken stuff..what exactly did they put on there
for tekken tag and 4, just a code to unlock all the characters.

ace combat 4, same thing, unlock all the planes.

the kill.switch demo was pretty cool though.

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 02:08 AM   #43
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Weapon Mastery mode is challenging and rewarding
I dissagree whole hartedly. The Weapon Mastery mode is just another excuse to link random battles together. And whats your reward ? Some gold so you can buy weapons that make very little difference in the battles ? Seems to me like that whole mode was thrown in to cheaply add depth to a very shallow game.

Quote:
Using weapons makes the game that much better
That would be the one thing that is better in this game. And its a VERY small perk. I prefer hand to hand combat anyway

Quote:
The choice of characters is better
Woa, I couldnt dissagree more. The characters in SC are flat generic rip offs of every fighter ive ever seen in this type of game. The only thing that seperates some of them is there weapons. They have the classic generic samuri. The giant very stupid looking ogre guy. I find myself not caring about any of these two demensional characters with the exception of Spawn. Allthough ill admit its fun playing as the guy who uses the staff. Hes got some great combos.

Quote:
You're right it doesn't come close to Virtua Fighter 4 it far surpasses it.
Its funny. In person you tell me the games are and I quote "Like exaclty the same". And now that I make a statement against one of the games you feel the need to once again dissagree. Im beggining to belive you just make a point to disagree with me no matter what the subject

Quote:
The fact that there is an actual story makes the game better
It had a story ?. Oh yeah they did throw in about 2 images of a cheezy looking sword and say you were searching for it. Oh yeah they mentioned it was legendary too. What an amazingly enthrawling story.....NOT. It would have been better as just a tournament to become the champion of fighters or something like that. I still think this game is a rehash that deserves no better than an 8 out of ten, but hey thats just my opinion. Ive only had it for one day and im bored with it

And I just remembered what i loved about VF 4 so much. You could win items to customsize your character with . There is very little customization in SCII.

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 02:30 AM   #44
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
I rented SC2 for ps2 today (my blockbuster didnt even have the gamecube or xbox version of SC....they hardly have any xbox or GC games anyway.......jerks)
but yeah im finding it fun but then again mindless fighting and beating something to a pulp always amused me
but its not like an experiance like i had with the first SC now that was great. i just really dont feel the same spark as the first one gave me. ah well it doesnt matter if i can beat somebody up with a huge stick im happy
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM   #45
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Same here. For one reason or another I really enjoyed the first SC and this one..well..not so much

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM   #46
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Same here. For one reason or another I really enjoyed the first SC and this one..well..not so much

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 12:56 PM   #47
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Awwww, I was looking forward to this game, but lots of bad feedback! is it a must get brand new?
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:12 PM   #48
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Quote:
Originally posted by dan da man

Awwww, I was looking forward to this game, but lots of bad feedback! is it a must get brand new?
yes its a must, the game is great, go get it now.

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:30 PM   #49
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

so which character do you use the most ?

i ditch ivy, and went with the samurai master, mitsurugi. i find his style more my type, his attacks have a great balance of speed and power.

Last edited by Vic Viper; Aug 31st, 2003 at 01:38 PM..
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 02:15 PM   #50
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
i know everyones probably gonna laugh but i'm using Talim alot now. she has some sick moves..fast too.

i use Sueng Mina and Mitsurguri alot too.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:37 PM   #51
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Woa, I couldnt dissagree more. The characters in SC are flat generic rip offs of every fighter ive ever seen in this type of game. The only thing that seperates some of them is there weapons. They have the classic generic samuri. The giant very stupid looking ogre guy. I find myself not caring about any of these two demensional characters with the exception of Spawn. Allthough ill admit its fun playing as the guy who uses the staff. Hes got some great combos.
Tell me where you have seen them before? And don't say previous Soul Calibur games. Sure they have a stupid Berserker but really where have you seen them before? Ivy is the only female with knockers that resemble anything close to Dead or Alive's females.

Quote:
It had a story ?. Oh yeah they did throw in about 2 images of a cheezy looking sword and say you were searching for it. Oh yeah they mentioned it was legendary too. What an amazingly enthrawling story.....NOT. It would have been better as just a tournament to become the champion of fighters or something like that. I still think this game is a rehash that deserves no better than an 8 out of ten, but hey thats just my opinion. Ive only had it for one day and im bored with it
If they would have done that you would have complained it's like every other fighting game. EGM described each characters story in this months or last months magazine. Read it. You could go through Weapon Mastery Mode and find it out. But my guess is that you went through the first 2 cities and judged it on that. Can you even tell me Virtua Fighter 4's story off the top of your head?

Quote:
I dissagree whole hartedly. The Weapon Mastery mode is just another excuse to link random battles together. And whats your reward ? Some gold so you can buy weapons that make very little difference in the battles ? Seems to me like that whole mode was thrown in to cheaply add depth to a very shallow game.
The weapons make a lot of difference. Some of them heal some of them have better defense some of them have better offense. The mode makes the game better then any other fighting game simply for it's uniqueness. It adds depth to a fighting game. Something every fighting game needs. Sure the mode could be a lot better but it is better then any other mode like it.

Quote:
That would be the one thing that is better in this game. And its a VERY small perk. I prefer hand to hand combat anyway
Do you realize what you just said? You just said using weapons is better. But you prefer hand to hand. Explain that one to me.

Quote:
And I just remembered what i loved about VF 4 so much. You could win items to customsize your character with . There is very little customization in SCII.
You can customize your weapon and change your outfit (I know every character has at least 3 outfits). What other customization would you like? And to win those items you had to fight in random battles that did nothing but give you items. So how does that make it better then Weapon Mastery Mode?

I did tell you that the games were the same only SC2 is better because it had weapons. I had played the game maybe an hour. I hadn't even gotten into Weapon Mastery Mode.

I use Ivy the most. Cervantes is my second favorite.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:56 PM   #52
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
I just got SC2 for GameCube, and I must say it is the best fighter I have ever played since SC for Dreamcast.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:50 PM   #53
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
If they would have done that you would have complained it's like every other fighting game
Ok now you think you can put words in my mouth ? Sorry, it dont work like that. I would hav epreffered cool looking cut scenes

Quote:
But my guess is that you went through the first 2 cities and judged it on that
I got to through the one huge doengeon where you unlock berserker. And to the level where you fight the kinf of Pirates. How freakin corny is that. In the end you fight some generick looking pirate. LAME

Quote:
The weapons make a lot of difference
I bought 4 weapons and I can tell you they made no difference in the battles

Quote:
It adds depth to a fighting game
By stringing repetative battles together with a screen of text. Wow...thats some amazing depth.

Quote:
Do you realize what you just said? You just said using weapons is better. But you prefer hand to hand. Explain that one to me.
Yes I do realize what I said, and i meant it. I think having weapons allows for more interesting moves when they are incorperated. That was the one thing I enjoyed more, the creative combos. But I prefer hand to hand. Just the syle. It doesent allow for as many creative moves but I still enjoy it

Quote:
Sure the mode could be a lot better but it is better then any other mode like it.
If you say so, I still enjoyed VF4's mode more. MUCH more

As far as characters I enjoyed playing as Kilik the most. His combos are great with the staff.

Quote:
You can customize your weapon and change your outfit (I know every character has at least 3 outfits).
Oh wow you can choose a pre set outfit. Sorry but by definition pre set, is NOT customization. And you cant customsize your weapon much you can simply replace them. Wich is a good option . I just cant get into this weapon mastery mode. Ill admit im not good at the game, never was good at these kind of games. So that takes out some of the enjoyment. But I was no better at VF4.

Also. How do you evade strikes when your on the ground after being knocked down. I find that once my enemy manages to get me on the ground they just do attack after attack and I never get to get back up again. Half the time I get knocked down after one hit and never get the chance to get back to my feet. Also I find the block to be rather worthless most of the time. And preventer, you said yourself that the Weapon Master mode could be much better. I agree..so why do they hand it a perfect score. I find this game to be shallow and somewhat boring . But I guess that could be my taste in games talking. I put fighting games near the same catagory as nascar. BOOOORRRIIINNGG

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 02:17 AM   #54
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Ok, ok ive played a bit farther into the weapon mastery mode and i must say i do find it much more enjoyable now as the beattles start to switch up. I still dont think ti deserves a perfect ten but it isnt quite as bad as I had first thought. I should play it more before I pass such harsh judgement. I still preffered VF4 and Kumite mode but this will do

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 02:22 AM   #55
Infernal Mass
pariah

Angry

@$*!!

i'm stuck right now..

I was kicking ass all over the place with talim, then i turned into lizardman and have to fight 4 people with bombs all over the damn floor and walls...what the hell are they gonna do to me next?

I can't even use lizard man, i'm getting spanked by slow fools like Berserker.

anyways..

What's everyones favorite stage..i think Seung Mina's home turf and that egyptian level are the best.

talim stage get's honorable mention.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Sep 1st, 2003 at 02:31 AM..
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:01 AM   #56
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Viper

yes its a must, the game is great, go get it now.

Its not out yet in the UK

But im going to take your advice!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:26 PM   #57
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Quote:
Originally posted by BeetleJuice

@$*!!

i'm stuck right now..

I was kicking ass all over the place with talim, then i turned into lizardman and have to fight 4 people with bombs all over the damn floor and walls...what the hell are they gonna do to me next?

I can't even use lizard man, i'm getting spanked by slow fools like Berserker.

anyways..

What's everyones favorite stage..i think Seung Mina's home turf and that egyptian level are the best.

talim stage get's honorable mention.

how far are you into the game ? i just finish WMM last night, just started my second run at WMM today.

my favorite stage is mitsurugi's level.

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM   #58
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Quote:
Originally posted by dan da man

Its not out yet in the UK

But im going to take your advice!
wise decision.https://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/ima...ons/icon14.gif

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:42 PM   #59
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
I got all the weapons for every character yesterday.

Still need to get all of the 3rd costumes for them though. o_o

I prefer to use Nightmare, Link, and Mitsurgi.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:54 PM   #60
Infernal Mass
pariah

lv.48 Bronze Knight

i'm at the Talitha Gambling Den (Extra Mission)
Lizardman is cool and all..but i wish i knew some of his more advanced moves. I'm getting killed over here.

*edit finally beat it. Now i'm stuck fighting Mitsurguri and Talim. (Altair)

i'm at Bronze Champion now.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Sep 1st, 2003 at 10:00 PM..