Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Positive heroes

I was thinking about it... What are the postive heroes in animes you have watched? This seems a stupid question, but it is not. I mean, every anime series has its hero, but it is not necessarily a positive hero. Some heroes are cruel, some others are selfish, some others are vicious... this doesn't m ean they're not cool, but I'm not speaking of coolness here. I'm speaking of values.
I could only think of two of them:
Kenshin Himura and Vash the Stampede.
Both of them have a past that doesn't make them appear completely positive too, but at least in the series they're both pretty positive.

In shoujos it's easier to find positive characters. But the main characters of the greatest part of shoujos cannot be called heroes, I suppose
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #2
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Kenshin Himura and Goku! That's all I can think of, you might count Vegeta too.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #3
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I ask this stupid question... are you only talking about main characters in anime or about characters in general? From what I've read, it seems you're only talking about main characters, but I wasn't sure...

Trunks, I don't see Vegeta as a positive character... He's terribly selfish and he's got a bad attitude. I'm sure this is enough to not make of him a good example of positive hero!
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Hylas
Now or Never

Yes, I was only talking about main characters, and yes, I wouldn't consider Vegeta as a positive hero as well.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Trying to do this without stating the obvious like serina and ash from sailor moon and pokemon is kinda hard, but not impossible. there are a lot, but at the moment, I can only think of these few.

Tenchi from tenchi muyo, universe, tokyo, pretty sammy ect., not sure if i should count ryoko though.
Shinji from Neon Genisis Evangelion
Van From Tenkuu No Escaflowne
Armitage from Armitage III
Arucard from hellsing, even though he is a vampire, he fights for a good cause, and isn't necessarily considered evil. IMO
Subaru from Tokyo Babalon
Motoko from Ghost in The Shell
Kintaro from the Golden Boy, not much of a hero, but i had to put him down anyways
Shiro from 08 MS team gundam
Jubei from Ninja Scroll, a bad ass, but a nice and kind guy with a sence of humor at that.
Amuro from Mobile Suit Gundam

That's pretty much all i can think of at the moment, but if i can come up with some others, i will post em as well.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #6
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Quote:
Originally posted by Hylas

Yes, I was only talking about main characters, and yes, I wouldn't consider Vegeta as a positive hero as well.
I figured someone wouldn't, I just wanted to put it out there.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #7
Hylas
Now or Never

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown

Shinji from Neon Genisis Evangelion
Shinji is too weak to be considered positive and he's got some sort of negative feelings caused by yhe anger towards his father. I definitely wouldn't call him positive.

Quote:
Arucard from hellsing, even though he is a vampire, he fights for a good cause, and isn't necessarily considered evil. IMO
Even if you say he fights for a good cause, he's a vampire, and this implies that from some point of view he even enjoys killing. That is not a positive aspect IMO.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #8
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Shinji is too weak to be considered positive and he's got some sort of negative feelings caused by yhe anger towards his father. I definitely wouldn't call him positive.
I completely agree with you on the Shinji part. That guy has many negative feelings and in a way, is kinda selfish because it seems he only thinks about himself. A lot which relates to the dad, like Hylas said.

Okay, I know that shoujo heros don't count because...well, it's true...they're all pretty damn positive...but I just have to put this character down:

Honda, Tohru from Fruits Basket. Heh, I keep mentioning her over and over but it's because she's just an incredible person. If anyone here has seen this anime, they would know what I'm talking about.

Himura, Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin: Yes, this rurouni is a positive fella. He's had a terrible past, but because of his "vow not to kill" and making "peace within himself" at last, he's a pretty strong character and a positive one, IMO.

Vash from Trigun: It's actually amazing about this guy...with all the turmoil that happened to him in the past, he turned out to be a "look forward to tommorow" character. I mean, he still hides a lot of that pain away, but doesn't show it or think about it.

Gah, that's all I can think of for the moment.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #9
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Himura, Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin: Yes, this rurouni is a positive fella. He's had a terrible past, but because of his "vow not to kill" and making "peace within himself" at last, he's a pretty strong character and a positive one, IMO.
A lot of people should agree with you there. Other hero's? How about...Ash from Pokémon?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #10
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Other hero's? How about...Ash from Pokémon?
I haven't seen Pokemon a lot, so I can't really say much about Ash's character. But as Cannibal said, Ash is an obvious positive character....

To be honest, this question is kinda tough. There doesn't seem to be that many positive heros.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #11
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Oh, yeah, I forgot he said that for a second there. Yeah, I wish there seemed to be more.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:24 PM   #12
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Kenshin does have his downfalls. If you remember he was going to turn back into the manslayer but was stopped by Miss. Kaouru (bad spelling). But other then that he is positive. And you might even say that was positive...

Vash is another great example. He is a lot like Kenshin only with a gun. He shoots to disarm people not kill them. He does seem to go for every good looking woman. He did look into some girls shower room. But then he did turn down 3 prostitutes.

Goku gives every villain a chance to go good but they all try and kill him instead. He gives everyone a chance and even helps out some villains.

Ash from Pokemon is a little selfish. Plus he is a character from Pokemon which teaches people it is ok to trap animals in balls

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #13
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Even if you say he fights for a good cause, he's a vampire, and this implies that from some point of view he even enjoys killing. That is not a positive aspect IMO.
That's pretty dumb... IMO. Did you see the ending of Hellsing to see what Arucard was when he was a man?

Both of your opinions seem too biased and it seems like you're not analyzing things correctly.

Look at it this way... Say someone grows up in the ghetto, struggles in school and becomes a lawyer, and fights for people that are wrongly accused but aren't financially fortunate, but he has a past of being involved with other people in the ghetto. Then there's another person that grew up in Beverly Hills, never did a wrong in their life, goes to school and becomes a police officer for the community...

Who, out of those two, had a much longer, and tougher road to travel? The reason Vegeta is a good, positive character, is because he went from being so evil, and so not caring about the world, because of where he grew up and how he was taught, to being a fighter for the world, side by side with Goku, constantly putting his life on the line to save the world. Goku was a little school boy from the get-go, so we don't look at him as a positive hero, but more a role model. When you're in the slumps, you don't look up to someone who was at the top all the time because it only makes you more depressed... You look up to someone who was in the same mess you're in, so you can tell yourself "If he did it, then I can do it"

----To be continued... (My rant, that is)

My positive character is Naruto from... Naruto... No matter what the situation, he is willing to do whatever it takes to reach his dream, and he's always so positive. If he's afraid of something, (which in case you didn't notice, is HUMANE nowadays, unlike those stupid anime characters I see that are always unstoppable) he hides it to show courage when surrounded with doubt, and that's being truely positive.

Another to me is Sorata, or Yuzuriha from X 1999 TV Series... Sorata is willing to die for the woman he loves and he is always willing to fight for his cause, plus he always jokes around.... Yuzuriha is just one of those positive, cute characters that always looks for goodness.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #14
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
I think you have to say that there are 2 different Vegetas in the series. The villain one and the good one. When he realizes he is not better then Goku he goes good and you can consider him a positive character. But even then he goes through life wanting only a good fight and is not so willing to show mercy as other positive heroes on this list are. I don't think that is so positive. And I wouldn't say he is constantly putting his life on the line. The only series he does that is in the Buu one. When he blows himself up to save the world that is probably the major turning point.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #15
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Himura Kenshin, and...hmm...Gatts from Berserk Actually, I guess he could be considered positive, right before the last few episodes. Right before the eclipse.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #16
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hero

That's pretty dumb... IMO. Did you see the ending of Hellsing to see what Arucard was when he was a man?
I remember you saying that Alucard became Jesus Christ at the end of Hellsing...but he didn't. At the end, the alter image of Alucard is actually the image of Vlad Tepes or "Vlad the Impaler", the 15th century Wallachian prince. Vlad is considered as the original vampire and "Dracula" due to what he did...he used to impale his enemies on stakes which many say he enjoyed immensely and when he was imprisoned in Hungary, he drank the blood of the rats running around to stay alive. Plus, during his reign, people said he was ruthless, liked to torture animals and people, and enjoyed the smell and taste of blood. So basically, what they're trying to say at the end of Hellsing is:

Spoiler: show
Alucard is the original true vampire...meaning the original "Vlad Tepes"

Sorry to go off topic here, but I just wanted to clarify this up.

You Can Help