Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

View Poll Results: At this year's E3, which system do you think will STEAL the show and be the Winner?
Sony Playstation2 3 20.00%
Nintendo GameCube 5 33.33%
Microsoft XBOX 2 13.33%
Nintendo Gameboy Advance 1 6.67%
Nobody. Each system has its highs and lows. 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #21
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Nobody.

In hopes that all 3 consoles will show me an interesting game or something.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #22
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake
For me its alright, I'd rather wait year and half or even 2 for a game then spend $400-$500 on my computer to play a $60 game. No thanks....... you can tell us what we are missing, but it wouldn't be something we will miss it forever.
I actually think that the prices of having a PC and having an X-Box are actually closer than many think. Its not like the X-Box is going to be around in a few years time, as you'll have had to shell out £300 for an X-Box 2. The turn-around for new consoles is around about 3 years nowadays, and buying a new one is just the same as updgrading a PC, with the disadvantages of not being able to retain components or even software from your previous machine. The PC's position is helped with the fact that PC games are usually a lot cheaper than X-Box games (in the UK at least - as long as you don't buy at high street prices. and if you do, quite frankly you're thick enough to stop gamma rays.).

Of course consoles come down in price, but this is counter-argued by the fact that graphics cards, processors and ram also go down in price (these 3 things being the only things you really need to updgrade so often). In the long term, a PC is a very good thing tp have, especially as PCs aren't just for gaming. The few £100 or so gap that arises after the long term expendature is worth it for the diversity
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #23
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by the_artist

I actually think that the prices of having a PC and having an X-Box are actually closer than many think. Its not like the X-Box is going to be around in a few years time, as you'll have had to shell out £300 for an X-Box 2. The turn-around for new consoles is around about 3 years nowadays, and buying a new one is just the same as updgrading a PC, with the disadvantages of not being able to retain components or even software from your previous machine. The PC's position is helped with the fact that PC games are usually a lot cheaper than X-Box games (in the UK at least - as long as you don't buy at high street prices. and if you do, quite frankly you're thick enough to stop gamma rays.).

Of course consoles come down in price, but this is counter-argued by the fact that graphics cards, processors and ram also go down in price (these 3 things being the only things you really need to updgrade so often). In the long term, a PC is a very good thing tp have, especially as PCs aren't just for gaming. The few £100 or so gap that arises after the long term expendature is worth it for the diversity
You do have a point, but seriously..... RAM gets used up all the time. And PC is not used by one person but by the whole family (That is if you are like me and have one PC). If I want to play games for hours, I cannot. And PC games have bugs and sudden crashes and viruses..... and the installation and everything... Its a hassle for a guy like me alteast. For Consoles, just put the disk in and you are ready to go. In the past years PC was much much better as you could play Online, but now it can be done on Consoles too, and Console Graphics are getting better and better. And Oh yeah, I cant carry my PC around to places (Unless if I have a NoteBook = $$$), but my console yeah I can. So games are very important but all these issues are too.

Doom III and Half-Life 2 are type of games I really really excited about, but now I am 100% that both are coming on Xbox. Still I can totally see what you were saying back there. If I had the money and effort to supe up my computer, I'd be on yourside. But I am very happy with My consoles, and games like StarFox/Mario/Sly/Shenmue/ETC would never hit the PC (Well it might later in the future). Oh well.
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #24
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
RAM gets used up all the time.
Personally Hard Drive space hasn't really been an issue since I got a 60GB HD (it takes a few games and a lot of mp3s to fill that), but eventually I suppose you'd need a new one. Especially if it failed on you (ouchies)
Quote:
And PC is not used by one person but by the whole family (That is if you are like me and have one PC).
I was going to say "but who has more than one Console of the same type", and then I considered conducting an experiment in which I try and get my family to play games on the PC with me, all hunched round the same keyboard and desk. So yes, whilst this isn't a problem I particuarly have (my mum recognised the fact that I'm always on the PC - which is pratically my PC anyway - and got her own. Of course, this is probably the stupidest and most expensive thing she could do ^_^), Consoles get to chalk up an extra point for "multi-userness".
Quote:
And PC games have bugs and sudden crashes and viruses..... and the installation and everything... Its a hassle for a guy like me alteast. For Consoles, just put the disk in and you are ready to go.
after a week of running my PC on its side because it sounded like the CPU was about to cook itself, I agree with you. more than I should have to. ... until I get the infamous PS2 disk-read failure... (Electronics will be Electronics after all...)
Quote:
In the past years PC was much much better as you could play Online, but now it can be done on Consoles too, and Console Graphics are getting better and better.
even so, Online has yet to really take off on the Consoles (and the broadband only policy sticks a big middle finger up to most of Europe at least), even if it really should do. So yes, whilst the attraction of Online PC games is somewhat less than it was, there are a lot more of them and many more people playing them (also, is it possible for Leagues, Clans and Matches to be organised for games like Unreal Championship?).
Also, Console vs PC graphics have forever been playing a game of catch with each other (even in 1991, Sonic had better graphics than a PC game like Monkey Island, for example), with both sides progressing. Everytime a new Console is released, it has better than PC graphics, but 3 years down the line, the PC has the better graphics: until a new console is released. At the moment, the PC is ahead somewhat...

Quote:
And Oh yeah, I cant carry my PC around to places (Unless if I have a NoteBook = $$$), but my console yeah I can.
"don'ta carry your PC! it too heavy!" as my Italian Teacher once said in an IT lesson... no, but seriously Makg... if I can carry my PC around often, you can too! ... just umm, find a good reason to (like LAN parties, or use it as an alternative to going to the Gym?)

so umm... my point? (I better shut up before it sounds like i'm on some kind of crusade ^_^) - just remember that I like consoles as much as my PC, I wish people wouldn't be so scared of the PC, (even if PC games players are a little scary)
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #25
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by the_artist

I wish people wouldn't be so scared of the PC, (even if PC games players are a little scary)
Nobody is scared here. "Video games" are meant to be played on "Consoles"..... thats why they are called Video Game Systems.

I could go on forever talking about Console/PC, but then this thread is about E3 and its "Consoles"...... so lets get back to the topic, shall we.
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #26
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Dont worry, Artist, ive been a gamer a long time, and have definitely been adapting to the pc for gaming and many other purposes over the three and three quarter years since my first pc. For all around useage, the pc is easily the only source to turn to, and now that ive experienced a fully maxed pc there is no other way to go. That and Doom 3 this fall will blow anything else away for some time to come...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #27
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Mafia was in the making before the release of GTA. Because I remember reading in a very old game, that had a preview of the game and they were comparing it to "Driver", because GTAIII was nowhere near. But got a US release really late. Neways......... I am pretty sure Mafia on Xbox would be amazing.
Well there were GTAs before GTA III. But they weren't as big of hits as Driver was. It does sound a lot like GTA and Driver though. I am sure it will be good...but if it is exactly like GTA I wont play it for more then 5 minutes.

As for the computer vs. console thing I prefer my consoles...

However I think it just comes down to people's taste in games. I prefer RPGs and Sports games. Games I would much rather play sitting on a couch 10-20 feet away from my tv then about 3 feet away from my monitor

Quote:
RAM gets used up all the time. And PC is not used by one person but by the whole family (That is if you are like me and have one PC). If I want to play games for hours, I cannot. And PC games have bugs and sudden crashes and viruses..... and the installation and everything... Its a hassle for a guy like me alteast.
??? I have so much...junk on my computer but my RAM is no where near used up. And you have to have a crappy computer to get bugs and sudden crashes all the time. I mean raelly crappy because my computer is crappy and I experience those things never. However I know what you mean about the playing time. Before I got my computer it was hassle wrestling my sister away from it. But since I am older, stronger, and bigger I won every time

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:40 AM   #28
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
its official, Metal Gear Solid 3 just stole the show !!!

thanks for playing

------>https://game.mairu.net/movies/SnakeEater.wmv<------

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #29
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
I dont think any console steals the show unless its a new one, the game can, more likely at this E3, my money is on MGS: TS, MGS 3, halo 2, they are the biggest titles coming, anyone can agree.