Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Cd or Vinyl ?

A strange question, but one that means a lot to me: Audio on Cd or 7"/12" vinyl ?

For me, I tend to head for vinyl over Cd. I love the hiss, crackle and warmth of the sound.

But thats just me.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #2
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

ToxicUK is on a distinguished road
Id have to say CD cos they are more widely available, you can make your own music and put it on them and they are much better sound quality than vinyl cos that hiss and crackle is terrible compared to the clear sounds. Plus you can put a vinyl song into your computer and take the hiss/crackle out which is good cos you can revive those old records to pristine glory.

Toxic - Force The World To Crumble
ToxicUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Faile
ys.

thats removing the charm ! eek !
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ToxicUK

Id have to say CD cos they are more widely available,
Yeah, but only for the new bands! There are THOUSANDS of records out there for the *coughbettercough* old music! THOUSANDS I SAY!!!!

I agree with Faile. I also like the crackly noise, it's comforting or somethng... maybe because it brings back memories from my childhood.

But I also like them better because of the size! As an artist, I LOVE the cover art of music, love it to bits! With Vinyl, it's SO much bigger than CD's; and yes, I DO consider it an art form.
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #5
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

OK please dont take this the wrong way becasue I do not mean to offend you but I do not consider art to come into everything.

In music I like quality not quantity. I think ya get what I mean by that.

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Gadzoox
goon squad

Quote:

OK please dont take this the wrong way becasue I do not mean to offend you but I do not consider art to come into everything.
Uh-oooohhh!! Lesson time!

I don't agree with you, at all. Art is EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING! Living itself is an art; everyone has their own life-style!

Ever looked into a computer before? Is it not so delicately crafted, everything placed just so?
Have you not looked at any perfect flower bloom?
Have you not looked at the graffitti on the buildings downtown?
Have you not looked at the pictures and designs on any t-shirt?
Have you never really looked at a animal, how their muscles are place, how each strand of fur goes a certain way?
Is the fine detail of HTML not to please the eyes of people across the world?
Have you no EYES?!?!?

Art IS everywhere, wether you see it or not, just open your eyes and a whole new world will be open to you!

Alright, I think I'm done now. :>
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #7
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Spoiler: show
Art is NMOT everywhere. What if you see a badly placed building - thats not art. What if you see someone break their leg - they dont do it in the name of art. So YOU open your eyes and then come back...

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #8
Faile
ys.

to quote picasso, "art is the lie that helps us understand the truth".

I persoanlly consider art an imitation of life, so i sort of agree with both points there.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #9
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

OK i can see your point there but just to emphasise: Gadzoox - there is no art in everything - do you think that a rusty piece of wire is art cos i dont? If it was made into art then it would be. Yes, when god made the world he made it into an arty place but not everything can BE ART....

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #10
Gadzoox
goon squad

A badly placed building - is the building itself not art from somone's mind? About the placement? it cant be that badly placed; i mean the sun will still make its shadows on the building and around it; the art of nature. Monet was one of many artists who would sit down and paint a building, in different times of the day, exact same angle of the building, but just the light and shadow would change. The passing of time, he portrayed that as an art.

Someone breaks their leg - That split second when the bone cracks; the moment that caused it to break, the whole healing process afterwards - the WAY the bone cracks and breaks under the pressure, it's all relative to how it happens, how it all takes one instant to happen and how it is unavoidable because it HAS happened, and cant be changed.

What do you think photography is? A frozen moment in time. Life is a whole crapload of frozen moments in time all put together on a reel, and played out fast.

Quote:
do you think that a rusty piece of wire is art cos i dont
I DO!
A rusty piece of wire... look at the way the rust has grown on it; look at how it chose to rust more in some spots more than others.
Look at how the wire was frozen in place, if someone were to touch it, it would fall apart.
Nature has made it from something rather strong, into something so delicate and fragile.

And I don't believe in god so I have no comment on that aspect.

You seem to look at the world in a dull way, and you can go on looking at it like that; and i'll look at it my way. Everyone will look at it their own way and that's that. It's all relative in how you look at the world.

You got me started, and you can stop me anytime you want.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #11
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Arrow Just to reply to Toxic's posts...

Life comes first, then art tries imitate it or in better cases to give an explanation of it (positive or negative explanation...nihilism can be art too). Art is somehow a sort of "religion" to the artist, in its higher forms, that's why art and life are so similar, apart from the mere imitation question. Beauty can or cannot be expressed thru art. Just think about the greatest part of the art of the XX century: Marcel Duchamp took a bicycle wheel and transformed it into artwork. An ugly, old, stupid bicycle wheel... nothing less, nothing more than this. The action of choosing an object among the others, also a vulgar tool, is indeed the evidence artists don't need to create beauty to create art. I agree with Gadzoox on most points of her posts. Several philosophers, including Immanuel Kant, pointed out that art is not a matter of taste, so what you're saying is basically untrue, because the fact of being "ugly", "badly placed" or whatever, doesn't imply that what you're talking about is not art. What you consider to be a terrible piece of crap could be art for someone else or could become the content of some artwork that you probably wouldn't appreciate at all. You mentioned breaking a leg as the ultimate form of anti-artistic product... J.G.Ballard wrote a whole book called "Crash" about the connection between car accidents and art....

Back to topic, I don't have many vinyls. I like to consider a vinyl as a fetish. They're beautiful stuff to touch and too look at, they're much more fascinating than Cds; plus, their sound is warm and and comforting. For common needs I have to say Cds, just because they're easier to find, they don't break as easily as vinyls, they can be listened to with portable players and so on. Technology improves your material conditions, not your life in general. Something has to be lost in the process.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #12
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Exclamation

OK sop then if you think those are art then what about these examples???

1 - An ameoba - describe how that is art.

2 - When youre sick

3 - If something catches fire or explodes

4 - Dog food.

5 - An old stick thats in many bits in a white padded cell.

OK... I think I proved my point.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #13
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
No friggin contest..CDs are 100 times better than Vinly. I mean..wow not even a question. You like crackling sounds in your music cuz it gives it "Warmth" hmmm I dont get it. But then again Im a big fan of the new stuff and not so much the old crap. CDs were made because they were better than tapes, tapes were better than 8 track. 8 track was better than Vinyl Records. Vinyl was better than ummm the phonograph or...whatever. Thats like asking whats better the new HDTV's or the old Black and white 500 ton things. lol.

The preceeding was the opinion of Vicious_2003 and should by no means offend anyone. If you dont like what I have to say dont read my posts . Good day !

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #14
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Quote:
The preceeding was the opinion of Vicious_2003 and should by no means offend anyone. If you dont like what I have to say dont read my posts . Good day !
HAHAHAHA!!!

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #15
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
You guys are talking about records right? Y'know, those big blkack things that you put on a turn table with the needle, right? It depends on what they've got on them but I guess I'll go with CDs.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #16
Faile
ys.

if a record was intended for vinyl then it'll sound better than it will on cd. fact.

good example : adore by the smashing pumpkins. i have copies of this on cd and mono lp. on the lp you can hear all the guitar parts, on cd they are compressed.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #17
Gadzoox
goon squad

Quote:

OK sop then if you think those are art then what about these examples???

1 - An ameoba - describe how that is art.

2 - When youre sick

3 - If something catches fire or explodes

4 - Dog food.

5 - An old stick thats in many bits in a white padded cell.

OK... I think I proved my point.
Toxic, You obviously aren't even _trying_ to listen to what I (or Fortune) are saying. SO I'm going to stop myself. I could spend; no WASTE; more of my time telling you how all your examples ARE art, in MY EYES; but honestly I'm tired and I come to this forum for fun, not to prove my view on the world to someone who wont accept MY views on life. I'm not being hostile, and I'm not blaming anyone, i'm just tired. But if you want to think you've 'won', then go on ahead.
I thank you greatly for giving me some good ideas for my next roll of film though.

Now let's get back to the reason we are here: to have fun.

Yeah... the size of records are good for the art aspect, but bad if you want to bring some music with you... hehe, I could picture me with a record player in my pocket, somehow hooked up to a power source, and playing through my headphones! Stylin!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #18
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
I could picture me with a record player in my pocket, somehow hooked up to a power source, and playing through my headphones! Stylin!
HEHEHHEHE

Yah or imagine a record player Car stereo. That baby would skip every .234 seconds . And thousands of auto accidents would be casued by people talking on thier cell phones whilst trying to changing the record .

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #19
Gadzoox
goon squad

LMAO!!! I forgot about the skipping part! Yikes!

Alright, so records have their mostly bad parts, and CD's have their good parts!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #20
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

All kidding aside I dont mean at all to be disrespectful to what Faile meant . Some people might just like listening to thier old records than CDS becasue they have more...ummm...Character I guess. I can sort of understand the concept but it just aint for me. She didnt mean that Record Players should replace CD players (Duh ) She just meant that she prefered listening to records for reasons stated. (Just dont want to look like I missed the real basis of the thread, but it was a good laugh and well worth it . Im not saying you thought that GAD just making MYSELF clear so my intentions arent misunderstood. Im just a smart ass)