Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Arrow Devil May Cry Anime

Sorry if this is old news but just to let people know if they didn't...

...yes, there is going to be a DMC anime. Check out the Japanese website here. You can see the promotional video if you click on the button on the lower-left corner.

The studio is MADHOUSE, the same company that did the NANA and Death Note series. From the looks of the video, it looks very Hellsing-ish but that's understandable.

Anyone looking forward to seeing it? I'm sure the backstory of Dante and everything would make for a compelling long-running story for the series.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

I saw the first episode of this series a few weeks back and I thought it was okay, not great. Mainly because they had to add an annoying little girl as a new character because, goodness, the show would be too dull or something.

The animation is pretty good, your standard action series. What I thought was a good touch was the integration of Dante's actual skills from the game into the anime. Multiple shootings in the air from his guns, sword finishes (I forgot if his sword has a name?), and so on. Dante retains his smart-ass personality from the games too though I feel they slightly made him more anime-stereotypical...like the cool and good-looking guy with a heart, that sort of thing.

I think I need to see it again and maybe some more episodes for a proper review but from what I saw, it doesn't seem too painful. Hopefully the story will flesh out a bit and maybe the annoying little girl can get, I dunno, eaten or destroyed or something.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
I saw the first episode of it as well; there are some subbed versions of it out there on Youtube. It was pretty good, I liked it. It wasn't "OMG AMAZING" either but Dantes character and attitude and the feel of the game came through well. The little girl didn't really bother me but it does seem to be a staple of way too many anime series by either having some older brother/sister character that is annoyed by the little kid and then a brother/sisterly bond forms. AWESOME!......wait.....no that's not awesome!

When the anime hits over here, I hope they get one of the voice actors who played Dante in the series, either DMC 1 or 3 (the voice actor for Dante never said much in DMC two. When he did it wasn't bad either but not enough to gauge his voice for the character.) With the voice actor from DMC1 being preferable since that's the style of Dante they are going for in the anime. There are other anime voice actors who could do Dante well, but the actors who did him in 1 and 3 were good, so I really hope they do that.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
The little girl didn't really bother me but it does seem to be a staple of way too many anime series by either having some older brother/sister character that is annoyed by the little kid and then a brother/sisterly bond forms.
Yeah, it does happen rather frequently. At times it can be forgiven but not in this case. For something like DMC, I personally feel like it makes no sense to have a little girl/sister character in it. What could be gained from something like that? To show that Dante really isn't just a demon killer with no heart? His flirtatious manner and aloof personality was already shown in the games so from that we already know he's not some merciless killer...so why bother with the girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
When the anime hits over here, I hope they get one of the voice actors who played Dante in the series, either DMC 1 or 3 (the voice actor for Dante never said much in DMC two. When he did it wasn't bad either but not enough to gauge his voice for the character.) With the voice actor from DMC1 being preferable since that's the style of Dante they are going for in the anime. There are other anime voice actors who could do Dante well, but the actors who did him in 1 and 3 were good, so I really hope they do that.
Sifting through information, it seems the VA for Dante in DMC3 was either a guy named Dave Wittenburg or Reuben Langdon. The former has done anime work so perhaps they may use him.

You Can Help

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
Yeah, it does happen rather frequently. At times it can be forgiven but not in this case. For something like DMC, I personally feel like it makes no sense to have a little girl/sister character in it. What could be gained from something like that? To show that Dante really isn't just a demon killer with no heart? His flirtatious manner and aloof personality was already shown in the games so from that we already know he's not some merciless killer...so why bother with the girl?

Sifting through information, it seems the VA for Dante in DMC3 was either a guy named Dave Wittenburg or Reuben Langdon. The former has done anime work so perhaps they may use him.
I find that quite a bit of anime is predictable and does a lot of "staple things" even if it isn't really necessary or in the case of DMC when it was never really present or needed. I guess they did it to pander to people who haven't played the game and feel "adding the chilluns makes everything betta" or something.

I mean perhaps the little girl won't be around the entire series, I mean we've only seen one episode and he is protecting her as part of a job. So perhaps when the job is done we'll never see her again or at the very least not in the capacity of a side kick tag-along. I also see Dante as not the best guy to be around a child personally. Not that he would do something weird, the guy constantly fights demons, isn't really going to get that Good Samaritan award and is kind of a dick.

Knowing most anime though, they'll find anyway to stick in weak or children characters with somebody strong and the strong ones always come through in the end. I just don't see Dante doing that, I mean the guy would not sacrifice a Childs life for job means or personal gain probably but he's not a real chivalrous guy and is more of a "a man is an island" type of guy. So I hope they don't cheese him up and make him a knight in shining armor who also acts anti-heroish since that cliché’s gets old when constantly done.

According to Internet Movie Database, Dante in DMC3 was indeed played by Reuben Langdon. Another interesting thing is that he is supposedly going to play Dante again in DMC4. I'm hoping they bring in Drew Coombs to play Dante in the anime for the dub. He is the voice actor for Dante in DMC1 and from what I've seen it is the Dante from DMC1 they are basing the series around. Drew was still cocky but he was a bit more mature and deliberate and wasn't as much as a "whatever, dude" that Dante from DMC3 was. Which that type of voice and inflection wouldn't feel right for me for the anime.

Last edited by Beretta55; Sep 15th, 2007 at 06:58 AM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote