Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Question Recommendations of J-Rock/J-Pop/Visual-Kei?

Well, there are so many music threads out there that I'd hate to create a new one about it, but this is about Japanese music, such as the title asked. I would like to have some recommendations from people who listen to this...I have listened to a few over the years, but not so much and I would like to know about some other bands/artists that I might be interested in. I know that there aren't many people who listen to this, but hopefully there's a few people who do.

The bands/artists I've listened to:
GLAY
The Yellow Monkey
Lucifer
Judy and Mary
SOPHIA
TM Revolution
SPEED
Dreams Come True
SMAP
Hyde
Gackt
Malice Mizer
Penicillin
Pyscho le Cemu
Dir en Grey
m-flo
Chemistry
L'arc en Ciel
Luna Sea
X-JAPAN
Hana Hana
Lareine
Kyosuke Himuro
Bump of Chicken
Janne de Arc
Pierrot

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

BTW, we all have different tastes in music so please refrain from negative comments.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #2
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
have you heared of a j-rock band called THE PILLOWS, they're the band that did most of the music on fooly cooly, if you havent i highly recommend them. you can listen to some of their stuff here (FURI KURI OTS 1-2). here are some songs that i really recommend, last dinasour, ride on shooting star, hybrid rainbow, little busters, blue drive monsters, i think i can and crazy sunshine.

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:49 AM   #3
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
There are few names I can add to your list: Plastic Tree, MUCC, Cali=Gari, Moi Dix Mois, which is the latest Mana's from Malice Mizer project, and Due'Le Quartz. I think also Due' Le Quartz guitarist, Miyabi, has now started a solo career, so it could be another option.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #4
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
i'm curious, and I know that strictly speaking this is kind of off topic, but anyway: how much of the lyrics do you understand, and how does your understanding of them effect your enjoyment of the songs?

Personally, i've aquired a handful of Japanese language tracks (and a few more non-english ones), but I don't find myself listening to them over and over again because I can't really understand them... but at the same time, I can still appreciate some of the better tunes and at least gain some nuanaces of the performances that some artists give...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #5
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Well, i usually go to www.animelyrics.com to try to get the english translations for many of the anime, j-pop and video game music i hear. Much of them don't have tranmslations, but they all have at least the japanese lyrics there, so you can sing along if you really want.

But anyways. You guys listed a lot of good ones,
i love X japan.
I've heard a few things from TM Revolution
I was suprized when no one mentioned the more popular ones from the anime soundtracks

These are the ones who've done most of the Inuyasha music
Ayumi Hamasaki, BoA, Do As Infinity, Dream, Koda Kumi, Hitomi Yaida,

Yoko kanno, i don't know if you consider it J-Pop or whatever, but she's definatly one of the best and even though it's not really japanese for the most part, it's still from japan.

Maaya sakamoto, responcible for all the Escaflowne and Rahxephon stuff.

Megumi Hayashibara, Does stuff for slayers, and many of the other more upbeat anime music that you may hear from older days, like mid 90's.

Aikawa Nanase, another who i am suprized hasn't been mentioned, i love all of her music, it's more rock and techno kinda blend, but is very enjoyable.

Morning masume - If you like disco stuff, listen to them , if not, please, stay far far away.

others like mentioned before, dir en grey, Malice mizer, the more heavy stuff, never really liked too much, and i found that out even more when i saw some of their sites, they are all chicks, but guys undernieth, you just can't really tell by their pictures.

And most male artists, like the pillows i never really cared for, but their most popular song from FLCL ride on shooting star, is pretty good, and i still have it on the pc.

other than that, meryl covered em all pretty damn well.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Viper

have you heared of a j-rock band called THE PILLOWS, they're the band that did most of the music on fooly cooly, if you havent i highly recommend them. you can listen to some of their stuff here (FURI KURI OTS 1-2). here are some songs that i really recommend, last dinasour, ride on shooting star, hybrid rainbow, little busters, blue drive monsters, i think i can and crazy sunshine.

Yeah, I've heard of The Pillows...I think their music is pretty nice, but are they an actual band or do they just do anime music?

Quote:
Originally posted by Panuru

There are few names I can add to your list: Plastic Tree, MUCC, Cali=Gari, Moi Dix Mois, which is the latest Mana's from Malice Mizer project, and Due'Le Quartz. I think also Due' Le Quartz guitarist, Miyabi, has now started a solo career, so it could be another option.
Thanks for your list, Panuru! I heard of the Plastic Tree, but never got a chance to check them out.

Quote:
Originally posted by kupoartist

i'm curious, and I know that strictly speaking this is kind of off topic, but anyway: how much of the lyrics do you understand, and how does your understanding of them effect your enjoyment of the songs?

Personally, i've aquired a handful of Japanese language tracks (and a few more non-english ones), but I don't find myself listening to them over and over again because I can't really understand them... but at the same time, I can still appreciate some of the better tunes and at least gain some nuanaces of the performances that some artists give...
Back then when I started listening to Japanese music, I didn't understand a thing. But now, I understand a little (and I do mean a little) of the slower songs. I can pretty much make out what they're saying by a few individual words and I also look at the lyrics and make out the hiragana. That's because a lot of the songs repeat many words, such as "love", "feelings", etc. so you kinda get the general idea. I've also attempted doing my own lyrics by listening to the songs.
I can understand why you wouldn't listen to the music especially since you can't understand it, but for me, when I hear Japanese music, it relaxes me. And I can seem to tolerate all sorts...like if it were heavy metal in Japanese, I'd take it fine...in English, I'd get a headache. *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown

others like mentioned before, dir en grey, Malice mizer, the more heavy stuff, never really liked too much, and i found that out even more when i saw some of their sites, they are all chicks, but guys undernieth, you just can't really tell by their pictures.
There's nothing wrong with that...they're actually quite pretty, interesting, and unique. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean their music isn't good.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 9th, 2004 at 02:41 AM..
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Yeah, I've heard of The Pillows...I think their music is pretty nice, but are they an actual band or do they just do anime music?

i dont know

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #8
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
And I can seem to tolerate all sorts...like if it were heavy metal in Japanese, I'd take it fine...in English, I'd get a headache. *shrugs*
I know what you mean! Generally I wouldn't listen to the equivilant Western genres, but i'll listen to them in Japanese without realising (and enjoying them as well).

Foreign language music at least deserves a listen... lets face it, Western music isn't exactly awash with talent at the moment!

Last edited by kupoartist; Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:46 PM..
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #9
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
A really good band that a Japanese exchange student friend sent me a bunch of songs from is Love Psychedelico (which I hoped I spelled right). Their stuff kind of ranges but it's mostly a kind of relaxed electronic/alternative kind of vibe.

I don't know how popular or accessible their songs might be for download, etc because a lot of the bands he sent me are ones that are indie or non-mainstream but try to find a few of theirs because it's pretty good.

You've probably heard it already but the Hellsing soundtrack is also nice. I'm not sure if it was done by an established band or someone composing specifically for the anime but it's good.

Also, the pillows are (I'm almost positive) a band and not just assembled for the sake of the FLCL soundtrack. Their career might have only lasted for that show though so that may be the only released material.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #10
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Reid

A really good band that a Japanese exchange student friend sent me a bunch of songs from is Love Psychedelico (which I hoped I spelled right). Their stuff kind of ranges but it's mostly a kind of relaxed electronic/alternative kind of vibe.
Oh yeah! "Love Psychedelico"...I have heard one of their songs and thought it was really good. I'm going to have to find out more. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote:
You've probably heard it already but the Hellsing soundtrack is also nice. I'm not sure if it was done by an established band or someone composing specifically for the anime but it's good.

Also, the pillows are (I'm almost positive) a band and not just assembled for the sake of the FLCL soundtrack. Their career might have only lasted for that show though so that may be the only released material.
Yes, I got the Hellsing soundtrack the minute I saw the anime. The team behind the soundtrack is very mysterious...not much information are revealed about them.

I'll have to check up on The Pillows and get a few albums.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I appreciate it!

You Can Help

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #11
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can relate to this question, also. I have up until recently spoken very little and understood very little spanish, but I have always loved latin music just as much as anything else. Mainly because I do not focus on the lyrics, but instead the instrumentation in songs, and also because the music and the voice gets to me in a certain way and makes my soul move....I honestly think some of it may be in my blood. Maybe Meryl feels the same way about songs sung in Japanese.

Hey meryl... may I ask if you are familiar with any japanese metal bands? I've heard there are some really good ones but I've never had a chance to listen to them. Anything from heavy metal to all out brutal death metal Oh, and I've heard some of the best ambient and industrial and techno also hails outta Japan! I don't think I'd be much into J-pop, but the others, definately. Then again, it's possible a country other than the US might have a superior form of pop music that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks ahead, chica!

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."

Last edited by Redpyramidhead; Mar 11th, 2004 at 03:25 AM..
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

I can relate to this question, also. I have up until recently spoken very little and understood very little spanish, but I have always loved latin music just as much as anything else. Mainly because I do not focus on the lyrics, but instead the instrumentation in songs, and also because the music and the voice gets to me in a certain way and makes my soul move....I honestly think some of it may be in my blood. Maybe Meryl feels the same way about songs sung in Japanese.
Yes, I do feel the same way. To me, even though I don't understand Japanese, I love the sound of the language, so Japanese music just sounds good to me. Also, it may be just me, but I feel that Japanese music have more heart and emotion put into it than US music.

Quote:
Hey meryl... may I ask if you are familiar with any japanese metal bands? I've heard there are some really good ones but I've never had a chance to listen to them. Anything from heavy metal to all out brutal death metal Oh, and I've heard some of the best ambient and industrial and techno also hails outta Japan! I don't think I'd be much into J-pop, but the others, definately. Then again, it's possible a country other than the US might have a superior form of pop music that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks ahead, chica!

_RED_ stuff
Unfortunately, I don't know any heavy metal bands because I haven't found any. I've only heard 1 heavy metal song and I don't know the band's name because I didn't catch it. This song was played on this Japanese TV program I used to have and when I heard it, the song was really good, but I stupidly missed the name. -_-;;; I'm really sorry...I could find out more information for you, but there might be a little problem regarding the sound. You see, I think the Japanese interpretation of heavy metal music is more softer than the US/European sound. What sounds like Japanese heavy metal, might be so tame that it's laughable to you. ^^;;; For example, I bought this CD that is supposed to be punk music sung by various artists/bands. Well, it turns out the songs are more like pop-punk than actual punk and that's what I mean. But, I could be wrong...I haven't heard many which is why I created this thread.

As for the techno/electronica sounds...you might like this band called "m-flo". I'd say they are a very unique band...their music consists of electronica/techno/R&B. What makes this band unique are the members: Lisa does the vocals and she's Colombian-Japanese, Taku does the turntables/vocals and he's pure Japanese, and there's Verbal who is Korean and he does the rapping and vocals. Put together, their sound is very unique, but I think this band is kind of unappreciated. Unfortunately, Lisa left the band in 2002 to pursue a solo career, so now m-flo consists of Taku, Verbal, and a new lead singer I don't know. Lisa's voice is very nice and beautiful...it's such a contrast when you compare it to the music and Verbal's rapping. Not my favorite band, but a really good one.

Red, if you like to listen to some heavy rock/metal/industrial music, I would recommend a lot of the Visual Kei bands. These bands are the ones that dress up in wild gear/clothing or feminine clothing. Their music ranges from rock to metal to industrial...they sing all sorts. I know they look a bit awkward, as Cannibal said, but their music is really good if you like that sort of sound. Visual Kei bands/artists include: X-JAPAN, Dir en Grey, Penicillin, Pierrot, Pyscho le Cemu (the most visual visual band as of now...and their music is pretty cool), Janne De Arc, La'cryma Christi, Lareine, Malice Mizer, Gackt Camui, Hyde, Hide and more. X-JAPAN is very popular...was considered the first band to introduce the Visual Kei style (dressing up). Dir en Grey and Penicillin are more of the heavy rock sounds that you might be looking for, so check them out first.

The Visual Kei category has some sub-categories. These include the gothic rock/metal sounds such as Malice Mizer and the J-Rock bands such as Luna Sea. Malice Mizer is the most popular gothic bands and the lead singer, Mana, has a solo album as Panuru mentioned. The previous lead singer of this band is Gackt Camui. His music is very nice...ranges from soft ballads to industrial sounds. He is notorious for changing his styles frequently.
The J-Rock bands include: L'Arc en Ciel (which you might've heard their music...they sang the ending theme to "Final Fantasy: Spirits Within"), Hyde (which is the lead singer for L'Arc en Ciel...he has a solo album out called "666"), Luna Sea (but they broke up in 2000/2001), The Yellow Monkey (this band is my second favorite band...their songs are more rock and they have a lot of rock ballads), GLAY (this band is a bit curious because they don't really fall into J-Rock or J-Pop...their music is too pop to be rock, but yet too rock to be pop...*shrugs* my ultimate favorite band), TM Revolution, and others. J-Rock bands/artists do not sing much heavy metal or industrial.

As for the J-Pop, I must admit I don't like many J-Pop myself...I only like SMAP, a group of guys who does disco/pop music...so upbeat and sugary that it can kill you, but I like them. Other bands/artist of the genre: Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, BoA (who is actually Korean but speaks Japanese fluently!), Hana Hana, SPEED, Dreams Come True, Morning Musume and others. Mostly females as you can see, so that's why I don't like them. They sound too much alike, apart from Dreams Come True and Hana Hana.

Sorry for the long information, but I just wanted you to get a better understanding of the music. If you want more information, please PM me. ^_^

You Can Help

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #13
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
WOW Meryl! That was the most informative post I've ever read regarding a question of mine! The visual kei bands sound most interesting. Malice Mizer among others. Actually I wouldnt be surprised at all with any form of weird dress or artwork involved in some of these bands music because a lot of american and european industrial/rock/ everything else bands do the same thing. Actually, I'd be interested to see the japanese take on the whole wild gear/costume stuff because in northern europe for example a lot of those guys dress up with armor and spikes and carry medieval weapons out on stage while others dress up as vikings...heh. Goth rockers in the U.S. like to try and look androgenous sometimes it seems....and so on.
More importantly, though, the music itself....and that sounds absolutely intriguing based on your desciption of some of these categories and sub categories. I'm gonna try n check out some of these bands online...if i like their songs i'm a orderin some cds!

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

The visual kei bands sound most interesting. Malice Mizer among others. Actually I wouldnt be surprised at all with any form of weird dress or artwork involved in some of these bands music because a lot of american and european industrial/rock/ everything else bands do the same thing. Actually, I'd be interested to see the japanese take on the whole wild gear/costume stuff because in northern europe for example a lot of those guys dress up with armor and spikes and carry medieval weapons out on stage while others dress up as vikings...heh. Goth rockers in the U.S. like to try and look androgenous sometimes it seems....and so on.
I don't really know, but maybe the Japanese wouldn't be surprised at all by the European and American costumes. Because I think the Japanese was influenced by the European bands...or maybe not. As for the goth rockers, I've seen some pictures of some live concert goth bands and they're not all too surprising...like this one singer was pretending to be insane so he was lead out on stage in a wheelchair...he was bald with white face paint and blood dripping down from an "injury" on his head...white and red contacts...you get the picture. The Japanese goths seem to enjoy Marilyn Manson a lot, so...

Quote:
More importantly, though, the music itself....and that sounds absolutely intriguing based on your desciption of some of these categories and sub categories. I'm gonna try n check out some of these bands online...if i like their songs i'm a orderin some cds!

_RED_ stuff
Oh, I hope you like them! And I'm sorry if it ends up these bands/music do not suit your tastes...Japanese music isn't for everyone.

You Can Help