Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #1
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
Doom 3

Okay... i got this game yesterday and i still havent put this down... anyone who has ever talked to me.. knows how much i love my halo/halo2... i have not even touched it in the now two days i've had doom3. i've even taken my xbox offline and upstairs so i can play it more. this game put simply. rocks. Now i'm sure you PC guys have had it for a while now.. cause i know if my comp was better i would have too.. but it just came out for the xbox yesterday here.... so i had to have it... so far... i'm not even sure where i am in it.. but i've played it a lot. i can tell you that... the story.. is actually really cool in my opinion... and thats not to mention the beautiful graphics too. guns.. gameplay.. scare factor even. i am the kindof guy who will laugh at horror stuff.. loves gore and everything else. this game is just too much. so gorey. so violent. so evil. This game is full on kick ass ness... yeah. And there are quite a few times where i'm not ashamed to admit i've almost dropped my controller.. and more than twice where i have defiled myself with the filth of human waste. ... it happens... lol... anyways.. if you can.. i HIGHLY suggest picking this one up

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
is it better than halo 2 ?

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #3
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
is it better than halo 2 ?

in a lot of ways yes... and i'm not sure really. graphics yes. gore yes. sex... well there isnt any. dammit... but time will tell if its better.. cause .. well i'm an addict to halo.... and for me has insane replay value.. time will tell if doom3 holds the same for me. but as of right now.. i dont really have a clear answer ... *bastard making me pit the two*.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

lol.

i heared people complain that it gets repetetive after awhile, all you do is point and shoot. is that true ?

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #5
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

It is. But if you played all the other dooms.. its what you expect really.. ya know? i mean.. its actually quite fast paced when you arent reading your PDA thign for clues and shit.. i've read a few reviews since my 'post' and it seems that everyone is comparing it to halo.. this game is not halo. it doesnt try to be. its just good old ol' school shoot motha fucka's and its very very pretty and the fun factor is good.. and bein able to play co op online is also really fun too ... it is really repetative for the first bit.. but after certain events it changes up quite a bit. so i dunno.. its all in the eye of who plays it i guess.. it kept me up late again last night

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #6
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

have you played half life 2 ?

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #7
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Doom 3 was distinctly meh. The single player was slow paced and by about a quarter of the way through you were starting to get sick with the whole repeatativeness of it all. Halo annoys me because of a copy and paste philosophy to level design... but at least they had the decency to do a little intelligent monster placement now and then. ID just put a trigger somewhere and let the monsters beam in. It's really rather dull running from samey room to samey room triggering monsters, moving on and triggering more monsters. Then there's the little tricks it pulls on you... all two of them, pulled twenty thousand times. "Oh look! Another monster behind a door!". and err... actually, I think that's the only one.

The shooting is rather dulled through that repetition. The weapons are nothing special - the loadout is the same loadout that has been in every FPS since... umm... that game with the demons that pratically invented FPS games... Doom! But the shooting isn't quite as fun because the enemies are sparsley implemented.

Doom is an average game elevated to some kind of playability by brilliant technology. It's very atmospheric, but frankly I thought it was a complete rip-off of System Shock 2. Right down to the (inferior) audio logs and throbbing invasive walls. The shadowing system is awesome, and when you play it how it should be played (in PC terms, a decent system and no lights on in your room) it can be damned scary... until it becomes predictable and the game's one gimmick has been expended. The hell levels are marvelous looking mind you, and I love the whole "crosshair seemlessly turns into computer mouse pointer", but this is a game playing some serious catch up. And ID know it: you don't put a "grabber" gun in your expansion pack if you've not been seriously owned by a nerd in an orange mecha suit.

But then this is ID software anyway. Penny Arcade said it best. They could have salvaged it with decent multiplayer, but they got lazy. Mind you, it's not like Doom 3 didn't sell like hot cakes...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
I just got Doom 3 for xbox as well and I must say that I love it. It may not be anything spectacular in the gameplay department but the game was never intended to be that way. Its a scary, atmospheric, blast everything expierence. It just a fun game. Not meant to be complicated or anything. The story is another thing I really enjoyed. You get a real feel by reading some of these PDA logs and listening to some of the audio messages. Great buy if you got an xbox. I would also like to mention that the co-op is fantastic as well. Its consideribly shorter than the single player campaign but probably more fun. Espically ditching your teammate in the heat of battle because you just want to screw him over. Anyways I would advise most of you with xboxs to give it a try.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
Yea, I played Doom 3 a while ago when it first came out for PC. Like kupo said it was just simply... meh. It was extremely awesome at the start, and I was really pumped. Then after my 2nd or 3rd day of playing it got extremely boring. It is the same thing over and over... monster jumps out of you, you find PDA, monsters jump out at you, find your way to the locked door... open the door... even more monsters jump at you... Wash, rinse, and repeat.

The game would've been more fun if it wasnt so long... it just overstays its welcome. Everything comes extremely predictable, and the gamer just gets bored. They should've cut out all the levels but one after aplha labs, then go to delta labs, and then hell. But no... they just have to drag it on out. I found the game so boring I didnt even bother to finish it.

But I have the expansion pack here installed on my computer... I hear it is better. I cant play it till I get my 6800, though as my current card just doesnt want to do 3D, and I am tired of trying to force it to work. I am never going with ATI again... they always cause me problems...
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #10
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chara
It is the same thing over and over... monster jumps out of you, you find PDA, monsters jump out at you, find your way to the locked door... open the door... even more monsters jump at you... Wash, rinse, and repeat.
I think the PDAs were a missed oportunity because it was all classic Doom "Red Key to Red Door" gameplay thinly disguised by audio-logs that weren't all that fun to listen to. That particular aspect of the game would have been better if the Audio was actually good (a la' System Shock series, which were superb and actually provided a lot of very exciting back-story) or if they just went with plain old key-cards...

I was thinking of getting the expansion, mainly because of the promise of a 'zero-point(s for) originality, lets steal the most original idea for a weapon anyone has had in a long time before everyone else does anyway gun', or the 'grabber *cough* gravity gun' for short. But I got Chronicles of Riddick instead (which seems pretty good) and:

Half-Life 2 Aftermath. Summer. Nuff' Said.

Well, until you realise that it's probably going to slip from that date and then they'll be saying... "ah, but we never did say WHICH summer!" Ooh, and it seems that there is hints of a new type of Gravity Gun as well... yummy....
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #11
Chara
Over the edge

Yea, I cant wait for aftermath either. I hear you still play as gordon but you spend a lot more time with alyx. I was kinda hoping you would play as Alyx. You know... so we can learn a lot more about her and more about what exactly happened (anything that happened between HL and HL2 are mostly guesses since HL2 really didnt do a good job in filling up the holes...).

And I have the Doom 3 expansion. I had it for about a week now. Didnt want to play it till I got my 6800, though. I still havent played it yet... When I finally get around to it, I hope the gameplay isnt an exact carbon copy of Doom III.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #12
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chara
I hear you still play as gordon but you spend a lot more time with alyx. I was kinda hoping you would play as Alyx. You know... so we can learn a lot more about her and more about what exactly happened
this choice perplexed me and disappointed me a bit as well. Firstly, the final G-Man speech seemed to indicate that Freeman was being put on ice until the next job... but the next job turns out to be like 5 minutes later? Secondly, it breaks from the (IMO brilliant) convention of having the Half-Life Expansion / Episodes set at the same time as the main story, featuring new characters. I suppose it's partly because Valve themselves are doing the expansion - Gearbox were made to make the old expansions as the did partly out of necessity (lots of assets were resused from the original game to get it shipped quickly) and partly out of not being allowed to tamper with the story. Still, there were about 4 sources that heavily suggested that you'd play as Alyx in the first expansion... no such luck. Still, the implication from Valve appears to be that this is the first (or second, counting the Uber-Nerd only Lost Coast) of a number of episodes, so perhaps they'll have different lead characters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
(anything that happened between HL and HL2 are mostly guesses since HL2 really didnt do a good job in filling up the holes...)
Most of the guesses are more or less confirmed by the writers or the making of / strategy guide. I personally feel that I was able to understand exactly what was going on, even to the point that I really didn't like being led down the straight and narrow path and being made to make the Citadel explode in the first place! The lack of development is more a side-effect of the HL game's intrigue rather than a story deficency. The player's utter cluelessness is intentional, and it's more than likely the first of many games... I think the new episodes will flesh the City 17 timeframe out and then we'll move on to an even more clueless era, and slowly learn more about the big stuff - G-Man and Combine. Still, at a reported "33% of the length of the full game", i've got concerns about how much they'll get into Aftermath...

Wait... this is a Doom 3 thread?

Last edited by kupoartist; Apr 20th, 2005 at 11:27 AM..
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Chara
Over the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
this choice perplexed me and disappointed me a bit as well. Firstly, the final G-Man speech seemed to indicate that Freeman was being put on ice until the next job... but the next job turns out to be like 5 minutes later? Secondly, it breaks from the (IMO brilliant) convention of having the Half-Life Expansion / Episodes set at the same time as the main story, featuring new characters. I suppose it's partly because Valve themselves are doing the expansion - Gearbox were made to make the old expansions as the did partly out of necessity (lots of assets were resused from the original game to get it shipped quickly) and partly out of not being allowed to tamper with the story. Still, there were about 4 sources that heavily suggested that you'd play as Alyx in the first expansion... no such luck. Still, the implication from Valve appears to be that this is the first (or second, counting the Uber-Nerd only Lost Coast) of a number of episodes, so perhaps they'll have different lead characters?
Hehe, my computer is good enough to play the lost coast levels. Well, in about a week it will be. I'm upgrading this 2500+ to a 64 bit 3200+. I already have a 6800, though. I'm guess i'm one ofthose uber-nerd's, eh?

But yea, the decsion for them to make an expansion like 5 minutes after the events of HL2 doesnt make much sense... i dunno, maybe more will be told once this expansion is released.

Quote:
Most of the guesses are more or less confirmed by the writers or the making of / strategy guide. I personally feel that I was able to understand exactly what was going on, even to the point that I really didn't like being led down the straight and narrow path and being made to make the Citadel explode in the first place! The lack of development is more a side-effect of the HL game's intrigue rather than a story deficency. The player's utter cluelessness is intentional, and it's more than likely the first of many games...
Yea... personally I didnt really understand what I was doing during the game. Like I really didnt have any clue as to what the heck was going on till I reached the "follow freeman" chapter. But, yea... I suppose it was intentional. Valve really likes to have the player think they are Gordon, and I suppose if you were held in stasis for 10 years, you wouldnt have a clue as to what is going on either.

Quote:
Still, at a reported "33% of the length of the full game", i've got concerns about how much they'll get into Aftermath...
Yea, that scares me a bit too. HL2 wasnt even that long to begin with.. I beat HL2 within 3 days, and I wasnt really even playing it that hardcore. Well... actually, if you dont classify staying up till 12am for it to be released over steam, and then playing it till 8am, causing you to be late for class being hardcore. Er... yea.

Quote:
Wait... this is a Doom 3 thread?
Yea... it really is supposed to be.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM   #14
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Going back off topic quickly, I have to say I loved half life two but the ending was so frustrating I threw my mouse at the wall in sheer anger. I have high hops for the add-on pack though because the game itself was sheer beauty. I've never loved playing a game so much.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote