Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
You said HOW MUCH ?

Ive been keeping an eye on Star Wars Galaxies for some time now, as much of the rest of the gaming world has. I had an inkling that I might buy the game seeing as how , much hype its received . But that all changed drastically when I saw the subscription fee to play it . It goes as follows

1 month - $14.99
3 months - $41.99
6 months - $77.99
12 months - $143.99

That to me is OUTRAGIOUS (Maybe im just a cheap-o) . I expected at tops 8.00 to 10.00 a month which is still too high, but 14 !?. I mean, im not going to shell over 50 bucks for a game and then pay almost 150 to play the damn thing for a year. I could almost buy a gamecube and get windwaker or Metroid Prime for it (Both games scored just as high and higher than galaxies i belive) for the price id fork over just to PLAY Galexies. Now I have no clue what it takes to keep up maintenence and what not on the servers that will run this game but it cant be THAT much. Whos going to want to play a game for just 3 or six months if its as good as galaxies is supposed to be. Most would go for the full year, so on top of all the money they make off selling the game, they will be making 143.99 on top of that per year from most of these people. And keep in mind if people just just pay by the month its going to cost them alot more than 143.00 by the end of thier year. I dont know maybe this game will be good enough to warrent breaking the bank over but i for one will just buy KOTOR and play it as much as I want for free. KOTR is looking more and more remarkable every screen shot i see.

Ahem...(BREATHING SPIRATICALY) my little..rant is done

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Jul 2nd, 2003 at 05:58 PM..
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:06 PM   #2
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Im playing Everquest on my pc pretty much nowadays. I spoke with someone ive known about three years online from EQ about Star Wars Galaxies because she is playing it. Clearly she is enjoying it a great deal, if i had had a chance to do the beta, which i did with Planetside, i would consider it. But, Vicious, your best bet is to let the programmers get the bugs out of it for a while, and then maybe with that and a price drop, check it out. Oh, and dont forget, the quality of your pc is going to make a huge difference between whether you will be able to play it or not. Its only now that i can crank up my pc and play EQ with little to no hiccups. Wish i coulda said that three years ago...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

I was actually reffering to the X Box version. Im assuming it will cost the same. My computer would ahve a hard time running pac-man j/k. But it is pretty crappy in that area

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:00 PM   #4
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Hey Vicious,

I can understand your rant... the price is higher than almost anybody was expecting. Anyhow, we must consider that with the current costs of maintenance behind a MMORPG - and Galaxies is easily the most complex (and resources consuming) MMORPG currently available - it's very difficult to offer fees below 10$. And I guess it's worth mentioning that for the first time, European players must play an additional tax - this means they have to pay 17% + than North Americans (this means they pay around 18$ monthly...).

Anyhow, as a fan of Star Wars - I grew up with the movies of the first trilogy - I would sincerely kill to play Galaxies... and maybe that's exactly why they dared to ask that fees for playing the game.

And going to the Xbox version - currently, its development has been cancelled. The same goes for the Playstation 2 version...
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:49 PM   #5
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry

And going to the Xbox version - currently, its development has been cancelled. The same goes for the Playstation 2 version...
Man that sucks. Like Vicious, my PC would die trying to compute this game. Heard any news on why they cacelled the developement Harry?
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
And going to the Xbox version - currently, its development has been cancelled. The same goes for the Playstation 2 version
Wow, i didnt know that. Thanks for the info. Atleast now I know i wont be missing out on anything. I give little thought to PC games no matter how good they are considering the condition of my computers lack of technology. That excludes many RTS's though, i have purchased a few of those for the pc.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:34 PM   #7
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
I figured playing Everquest on my former pc with a new GeForce 4 video card that it would rock. Turned out that the video card rocked, but the processor and RAM wouldnt support the heavy graphic details that have been upgraded with subsequent releases of the game. Upgrading to the current pc not only made EQ a viable game but has me ready for the game im really getting ready for, namely Doom 3...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:49 AM   #8
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry

Oh thats all we need, im never going to be able to play Star Wars Galaxies now. But ive never heard that news, im sure the ps2 is not getting it, just the xbox, by christmas, it has too.