Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Creativity Forum

View Poll Results: Poll
Outlines 0 0%
Without-Outlines 0 0%
Led Pencil 0 0%
Normal Pencil 1 50.00%
Sketch Paper 1 50.00%
Line Paper 0 0%
Blank Paper 0 0%
Manga Paper 0 0%
Black and white drawing 0 0%
Colored drawing 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #1
blindman
Sketch Penguin

blindman is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Je need help.

Please participate in this poll.

IF YOU HAVE tips on drawing please send them in. Anything from what materials to use, the best brands, to mental accomodations, anything.
I do need help on drawing. I push myself a lot...but not that much like, it doesnt affect me, but i know im pushing my skills. Right when i get to something...i jump right onto something even HARDER to do without fully learning the last thing.
Umm....Well, i need lots of help with perspectives and some poses...just some. Anyone has some tips?

BTW: participate in the poll, its another important part of this thread.

THANK YOU dudes.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #2
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Well, hmmm, I'm not a great drawer, but for a beginner having a piece of white smooth paper and a decent pencil is enough. I wouldn't recommend to start with colored drawings or inked works, because they require first of all the ability to draw in pencil.

If you want to learn, you can start by copying. Copying is easier than inventing and there's nothing wrong with it, anyways. Just copy from real life (people, animals etc...) or from illustraded books. It's good excercise to gain some ability. After you can manage to draw some basic poses, you can start with more complex ones. But depends which kind of things you want to draw. For example, if you want to draw people, it's very useful to start drawing separated body parts to understand poses, like drawing hands, legs and arms in many different poses, and then once you can draw them, it's good to start assembling those parts in whole figures.

This is how I see it, but I repeat, I'm not a good drawer
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #3
blindman
Sketch Penguin

You know? thanks Rei! those where some rally amazing tips. I actually do thank you, because i never came up with those things before, and i'll try them ASAP.

If you could come up with things like that you should start drawin'

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #4
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Drawing people or human bodies can be difficult, especially clothes. If you start with drawing bodies without paying too much attention to clothes is easier. For example, if you buy some of these books that are supposed to teach you how to draw, they always start by explaining body proportions and such things. They never start taching you how to draw a clothed body, because that is something that requires more work, I guess. But be careful, because developing a realistic style is completely different than developing a stylized one (like the one of manga/anime characters). If you look at anime characters, you'll see that most of them doesn't follow very much realistic proportions. I suppose drawing in manga style is easier than drawing anything realistic, because lines are clean and simple. Also the clothing in manga style is much easier to draw. But some other things are not that easy at all. Just try to draw some mechas and you'll see
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #5
blindman
Sketch Penguin

Hehe, looks liek you have had some bad experiences with drawin mechas...i tried to draw mechas...i never got close to drawing anything good when it deals with mechas. I can draw some body armor and stuff...but never mecha. My friend can draw mechas though
I do like to draw some anime/manga...thats what i draw. I draw War Of Genesis III style..or so im trying. I mean its amazing. I usually change my style of approach here and there and thats when i fail.
I agree that Manga/anime is easier to draw than something realistic, but it does have its rules...which are not to forget.
But thats not the reason to why i draw anime/manga.
Its just that Japan is too cool.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #6
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
To draw first of all you need a lot of patience. If you try drawing something and it doesn't look to good, you have to try again and again, till you get it right. Copying, as Rei said, is good excercise, especially for poses and details of body parts (like hands, which I find particularly tough to draw ). After that you can start with coloured stuff. If you have a scanner and a decent program, you can try to add colours with the help of your PC, which is fun and easier than using other media, like watercolours or markers.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #7
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
When you say 'copy' I start thinking about placing a piece of paper on top of what you want to copy and trace it. But I'm guessing you mean taking a look at it and trying to draw the same thing, I could never do that.

I thought I'd might also try and get into drawing because I wanna try and draw a character for a roleplay thing going on at this other forum I go to along with Seraphim, check it out at baddreamsetc. Anyway, I made up a a female character there and the artists of the site were looking for a picture of how I kinda see her.

Someone showed me a site they used for help, do you guys know any sites which have some tips on drawing people?
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #8
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
I don't understand the poll, are we supposed to pic our favourite medium or something?

My advice is to start with life drawing. Then you can start getting into cartoons or stylized art styles. Life drawing gives you a solid base on proper anatomy and on how things move and don't move.

Some recommended books to look into:
Drawing the Head and Figure - by Jack Hamm
How to Draw Animals - by Jack Hamm
the 'Dynamic Drawing' series

As for materials; more expensive really doesn't mean they help you draw better. So don't go out and spend $100 on supplies that you could easily spend $30 on. Don't spend your money on fancy materials until you have the talent to use them properly!

And for inspiration; movies, music, other art, books, life itself are all great ways to inspire yourself. Finding inspiration is something you really have to find for yourself. I can't tell you to watch 'Little Shop of Horrors' because it really inspired me, chances are you won't find it as inspiring as I did. Personally, I'm inspired by /everything/. I can sit outside and watch someone walk past , and the way the swing their arms might spark something in my mind. You have to find your own sources.

Good luck and don't give up!
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #9
blindman
Sketch Penguin

WOah Gadzoox i understand you when you talk about inspirations.
Yeah...its true, noone can tell me where to sit or whatever to get insipired, i find inspiration everywhere, i constantly change my styles and all. Like WOG (war of genesis) thats very inspiring! yes it is at least to me. Masami Obaris art works are also inspiring, and others...i also watch movies and styles and check them out and stuff, just so i can learn their styles and bases.
I find styles EVERYWHERE, and i find inspirations...even in my room...or playing a game like resident evil is also cool.
I dont know much about how to explain this..but i got o tell you, ANYTHIng can be inspiring.
Well, as for the poll? just choose whatever you think its best...like what you use most and stuff.
Thanks.