Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #1
Bogart
Private Eye

Bogart is on a distinguished road
GameCube lacking freeform games?

I'm saving my money to buy a new console. So far, I'm more interested in GameCube. It has many games I adore (Rogue Leader, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and in the future Metroid Prime etc. and Kojima's new game!) while the Xbox has just one game I'm interested into (Morrowind) and two others which haven't been released yet (Splinter Cell, MGS2: S).

Anyhow, I've noticed that the GameCube doesn't have in its line-up any free-form game like Morrowind or even Ps2's Drakan and GTA 3.

What do you think? Will we see something of this genre on the cube in the future?
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #2
AudioBoxer
Banned Member

AudioBoxer is on a distinguished road
I dont know Nitendo is very secure on its ratings, so probably not on GTA3, the systems wont be able to handle such big enviroments and sooo on. It loads alot so thats why.
AudioBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:49 PM   #3
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Bogrt, probably you'll see some game like Morrowind in the future... just choose the console with the longer list of games that you like. If you are from Europe, Morrowind has been delayed too. It's no longer an August release but a December 2002 release.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #4
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by TrikTopz
the systems wont be able to handle such big enviroments and sooo on. It loads alot so thats why.
Uhh... GC is better hardware than PS2.

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #5
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
i dont know anything about system's but GC could handle GTA3 without a problem.
Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:10 PM   #6
RobHardo

RobHardo is on a distinguished roadRobHardo is on a distinguished roadRobHardo is on a distinguished road
well in my personal opinion i think nintendo makes systems for young gamers
all they push out is E rated games for the most part, i kno wi know RE is there but hasn't anyone noticed over half the games made by nintendo are e rated

IT'S MYSPACE!
RobHardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:14 PM   #7
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
so........? the bad thing is? they may be E rated but they are very fun oh and you forget one M game eternal darkness and they will get more M games soon.
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:42 AM   #8
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

KraftSLU is on a distinguished road
ummm... ok. Skipping all the BS and just going to try and answers bogarts question.

B, if you are seriously into free form games, especially RPGs like morrowind then you might want to think about the xbox. Of course that is only if you like morrowinds game style. No other system would be able to pull off morrowind right now. The GC lacks the HD needed to store the game's massive amounts of info, and while you can buy a PS2 harddrive, I honestly don't think the emotion engine could handle it. (by the way, I have a ps2 so that is not me going all fanboy).

Of course if you are looking for a game where you can go out and do anything you want, then it really doesn't matter. Im sure all the systems will see games like that. But as far as RPGs, XBox really is probably the way to go due to the HD.
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM   #9
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

i agree with Kraft, if you want the best massive rpgs then xbox is the best choice. Otherwise you're gonna have games like morrowind loading on you like Red Faction.
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #10
AsylumEscapee

AsylumEscapee is on a distinguished road
..What rpgs does the xbox have? Besides Morrowind, I mean.
AsylumEscapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #11
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
none i don't think. Morrowind is the first
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #12
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

yeah, morrowind is the first, but for the first rpg ever for this system... it is a helluva rpg. I've dumped 50+ hours into it and am nowhere close to finishing the game. And my roommate is also playing it on his xbox and his game looks nothing like mine since he chose to act differently and join different guilds. I think bethesda estimated that to do absolutely everything in the game would take close to 5000 hours, which is totally believeable since I have only played one race, with one specialty and joined 2 groups (out of 12 or so) and it looks like it will take me at least 200 hours just to beat the game.

BTW, here are some RPGs to look forward to

Project Ego
BC
Star Wars: KOTOR
Star Wars Galaxies

I don't know about the first 2 but I believe the last 2 are not only going to be great one player games, but they will also be MMORPGs
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:27 PM   #13
AsylumEscapee

Oh.. Yet to come out. I've always thought that, as far as RPGs are concerned, Sony had no competition. With Squaresoft and all. As for MMORPGs, FFXI, Everquest, and that other one.. Something about ancient Japanese samurai and stuff. I forgot the title.

As for Morrowind, its one of the two Xbox games I actually want to play, though I'd rather to play it on a high end PC. But you really don’t need powerful hardware for such open games. Daggerfall has a very similar system, and non-linear...ness. It's still playable despite its age. The graphics are what eat up system power.

Separate subject. An Everquest real time strategy game was announced recently. Should be pretty cool, I've always thought group strategies were an important part of EQ.

Sorry to sound anti-Xbox, not what I was going for. Honest.
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:25 PM   #14
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Its cool to come off as anti-xbox, everyone has their preferences. The thing with ps2 and mmorpgs and free form game is you have to buy the hd for it. And the modem. Personally if I was looking to buy a new system and was interested in online and massive rpgs, I really wouldn't be too keen on shelling out 200 for the system then another 100+ for the HD and then another 60+ for a modem... all for a game that has been on the computer forever so it won't receive a whole lot of online support and another game that is dive bombing in japan even though it has the words 'final fantasy in the title' Im not sure what other title you are talking about, I haven't heard of any other games except shinobi coming to ps2 that involve samuris, and I thought that was an action/adventure game.

Im not saying ps2 doesn't have any good rpgs, there are some great ff games and what not. But if this free form rpg really has your attention I would still recommend xbox.
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:55 PM   #15
AsylumEscapee

I'm poor. Can I have yours?

That "other" MMORPG is Nobunaga's Ambition Online. I dont know if its coming to the US.
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:05 PM   #16
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by KraftSLU
yeah, morrowind is the first, but for the first rpg ever for this system... it is a helluva rpg. I've dumped 50+ hours into it and am nowhere close to finishing the game. And my roommate is also playing it on his xbox and his game looks nothing like mine since he chose to act differently and join different guilds. I think bethesda estimated that to do absolutely everything in the game would take close to 5000 hours, which is totally believeable since I have only played one race, with one specialty and joined 2 groups (out of 12 or so) and it looks like it will take me at least 200 hours just to beat the game.

BTW, here are some RPGs to look forward to

Project Ego
BC
Star Wars: KOTOR
Star Wars Galaxies

I don't know about the first 2 but I believe the last 2 are not only going to be great one player games, but they will also be MMORPGs
Yes, I think the same, Morrowind is a wonderful game. From what I've seen, Star Was Galaxies and Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic will both be great titles; anyhow, while Star Wars Galaxies is a MMORPG (and it's coming to Ps2 too) KOTOR is simply a Massive RPG like Morrowind. Actually, I can't wait to play Galaxies - it's a dream come true for a fan of Star Wars...
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote