Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Anime question.

This is probaly a real noobish question but oh well.
I'm buying the complete boxset versions of outlaw star and hellsing. and the guy told me they are asia-imported (which has japanese and english dialogue) but i need to know are asia-imported versions uncut?
Just wanting to make sure since i really wouldnt like owning the "watered down" versions of the animes.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
This is probaly a real noobish question but oh well.
I'm buying the complete boxset versions of outlaw star and hellsing. and the guy told me they are asia-imported (which has japanese and english dialogue) but i need to know are asia-imported versions uncut?
hmm... "Asia" is a big place... got anything more specific? If its from Japan, it wouldn't be. If it is from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia or Singapore I'd doubt it would be either... i'd put money on them being bootlegs though. It is my understanding that anime is very rarely released in asia with both Japanese and English sound... especially if outside Japan. If its a region free DVD, or inexpensive (which if you're getting two complete boxsets at once sounds likely), its also likely to be flying the jolly roger as well. Check this Pirate Anime FAQ just in case: https://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

Last edited by kupoartist; Aug 13th, 2004 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: colours!
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
hmm... "Asia" is a big place... got anything more specific? If its from Japan, it wouldn't be. If it is from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia or Singapore I'd doubt it would be either... i'd put money on them being bootlegs though. It is my understanding that anime is very rarely released in asia with both Japanese and English sound... especially if outside Japan. If its a region free DVD, or inexpensive (which if you're getting two complete boxsets at once sounds likely), its also likely to be flying the jolly roger as well. Check this Pirate Anime FAQ just in case: https://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html
Thanks artist. I'm going to skip this guy and just go store bought,even though its alot more expensive. I would still be supporting the companies that put hard work into making these animes. Gah i so wanted hellsing too but last i checked at a store here it was going for 118 dollars.....oh well saving up some cash is the way to go.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Most of these bootlegs are uncut, but I wouldn't recommend getting certain bootlegs since the quality and subbing can be terrible. But, I'm confused on why the guy said the dialogue is in Japanese and English. If they are bootlegs, there wouldn't be English dialogue (dubbing) at all.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 05:19 AM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
If they are bootlegs, there wouldn't be English dialogue (dubbing) at all.
it's in the interest of the bootleggers to put the English audio or at least subtitles on their DVDs because they sell them internationally - just look how many suspicous anime DVDs you can find originating from the poorer asian countries on something like ebay. The UK ebay is swamped with them - they need English dialogue on them, otherwise people would go out and buy the real thing! It's easy to dismiss bootleggers as dumbasses with no buisness sense just because they're breaking the law - they ain't stupid, they fool a hell of a lot of people and make loads of money doing so.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
it's in the interest of the bootleggers to put the English audio or at least subtitles on their DVDs because they sell them internationally - just look how many suspicous anime DVDs you can find originating from the poorer asian countries on something like ebay. The UK ebay is swamped with them - they need English dialogue on them, otherwise people would go out and buy the real thing! It's easy to dismiss bootleggers as dumbasses with no buisness sense just because they're breaking the law - they ain't stupid, they fool a hell of a lot of people and make loads of money doing so.
That's true kupo what you said. Of course, if there's English dialogue on the bootleg versions, then a lot of consumers would get that even if they know it's a bootleg...only because it's cheaper (at times). And yes, bootleggers aren't stupid...Asian countries have been doing this since the beginning of time and it's not gonna go away any time soon.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't completely dismiss buying pirated releases of anime you want. It's highly possible that both Outlaw Star and Hellsing are available with Japanese/English audio and with English and Mandarin subtitles as well.

I think both of them have been released with English dubs officially and it doesn't take the pirates long to make copies of the R1 releases. The best way to go with those is to research the group releasing it before buying. I've bought a Berserk collection, before it was released in North America and the Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions and movie over Ebay from Hong Kong sellers and was completely satisfied with it. A lot of people get burned by not reading the reviews of different releases because ordering HK DVD is a mixed bag of quality and garbage.

I don't like to spend the prices they put on anime series here. It's ridiculous how expensive they release them for in Canada and as much as I'd like to show support for NA Anime releases I can't afford to drop a lot of money on them.

The only Cowboy Bebop I could find here was the uncollected DVDs and the first one alone (6 Episodes) was $54.99. Ordering from American companies with the exchange rate is terrible too, so I've bought just a few of my favourite shows from HK pirates.

If what you were looking at was HK or even if they were imported from other parts of Asia (Japan sometimes releases R2 DVDs with English subtitles) but I don't think they'd be censored. I'm not sure if Hellsing was edited in it's release but I know that Outlaw Star wouldn't be on the DVDs. The TV version I think may have been but I'm not 100% on this.

Anyway, very long winded but that's my two cents on the whole process. I hope this helps somewhat.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:56 AM   #8
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

As I see it, if you're going to pirate DVDs you may as well just download the entire series off the net (and then put them on VCD or DVD). At least that way you're not lining the pockets of some scab who did no work whatsoever and has no right to reap the rewards of someone else's work..

I do agree that anime is pretty overpriced though. For a UK example, a full 24 episode series of 24 retails for about £30, but the 26 episode Evangelion Box-Set is going to cost about £80. Anime is certainly an expensive hobby - I've kept it relatively cheap so far by only getting movies and spending only between £6 and £15... but sooner or later I'm going to want to get all those series DVDs that i've been itching for and I'm going to be a stereotypical poor student!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:47 PM   #9
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I think both of them have been released with English dubs officially and it doesn't take the pirates long to make copies of the R1 releases. The best way to go with those is to research the group releasing it before buying. I've bought a Berserk collection, before it was released in North America and the Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions and movie over Ebay from Hong Kong sellers and was completely satisfied with it. A lot of people get burned by not reading the reviews of different releases because ordering HK DVD is a mixed bag of quality and garbage.
How true. There are some HK bootlegs which I've bought in the past for series that weren't officially released yet or never will be (like Gensomaden Saiyuki or Tonari Boshi no Memoru). Saiyuki's first set was very good with subtitling, but the second set was distributed by a different company, so it was terrible.

Quote:
As I see it, if you're going to pirate DVDs you may as well just download the entire series off the net (and then put them on VCD or DVD). At least that way you're not lining the pockets of some scab who did no work whatsoever and has no right to reap the rewards of someone else's work..
That's true, which is why buying a ton of the pirate DVDs is not good since you're not being supportive of the actual official releases or helping release the anime. However, some people (like me) cannot download the whole series or download an episode because...well, slow-ass dial up. So, we have no choice but to buy a DVD set. Thankfully, I am able to buy VCD of series I want to try out, then go out and buy the official stuff when it gets released.

Quote:
I do agree that anime is pretty overpriced though. For a UK example, a full 24 episode series of 24 retails for about £30, but the 26 episode Evangelion Box-Set is going to cost about £80. Anime is certainly an expensive hobby - I've kept it relatively cheap so far by only getting movies and spending only between £6 and £15... but sooner or later I'm going to want to get all those series DVDs that i've been itching for and I'm going to be a stereotypical poor student!
Hehe, if you think buying animes alone is expensive then you've yet to experience the life of an insane collector. Plushes, wallscrolls, pens, cell-phone straps, stickers, pencilboards, candleholders, wallets, coin purses, notebooks, pillows, cups, hankerchiefs, keychains, figures, cosplay items...as long as the item is branded with your current-obsessed anime, you're gonna keep on buying. Now that is expensive. (And yes, I've done this)

You Can Help

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

How can you afford all that stuff meryl?
I can barely pay for a boxset, all that other stuff would put me in so much debt
But i got the official legit versions of Outlaw star (i got this a couple of weeks ago) and Hellsing (which i got today). I'm so broke......i seriously only have 4 dollars left.
There are still some animes i have my eye on and then i still support my videogame addiction. I'm going to be working non stop for the next month or so.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:26 PM   #11
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
How can you afford all that stuff meryl?
I can barely pay for a boxset, all that other stuff would put me in so much debt
But i got the official legit versions of Outlaw star (i got this a couple of weeks ago) and Hellsing (which i got today). I'm so broke......i seriously only have 4 dollars left.
There are still some animes i have my eye on and then i still support my videogame addiction. I'm going to be working non stop for the next month or so.
That's great, I'm happy you finally got both animes Beretta! Sorry to hear you're so broke now...hopefully you'll be able to earn more back at your job. Good luck to you!

You Can Help