Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 02:23 AM   #1
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Angry internet nowadays...

I don't know if you guys agree with me, but here are my 2c...
I think the internet as it is nowadays is taking a turn for the worst you can't log on or the ads are flying around, my computer automatically gives an error and shuts of the internet. I especially encountered alot of problems with the so called GAIN and GATOR spyware. Also their seems to be a lot of ads who doesn't seem to do anything and are empty but they shut down my system.
The amount of viruses sent through email are also amazing, so high that I removed outlook from my home computer and only use email on the internet to prevent infection with corrupted files.
I think it's especially a problem with people who don't speak english properly(like my old man), who most of the time doesn't have the slightest idea what all the errors are that occur.
I think the electronic highway is heading for a traffic jam.

What are your opinions on the subject and what are some of the problems(if any) that bother you???

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 02:59 AM   #2
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
I got a conspiracy theory for you. Could it be that its all a plan to force us dial-up users to go broadband? Oh, and wouldn't it be interesting if it forced us to buy all the latest anti-virus programs. I'm not exactly sure how it all works. About all I'm good at is using my computer to work on composing music and that's it. The rest is a mystery to me, sadly. So, really, I don't know what's going on, but I do know that the internet can be a hell of a lot friendlier place with broadband. The problem is some of us don't have access to broadband because of where we live, while others take it for granted already.

Yeah, the internet is definately going south these days. Personally, I think it's possible that its all a conspiracy to get consumers to have to constantly spend more money upgrading their computers so they can handle this insanity you're faced with every time you're logged on.

Spyware, in my opinion, is wrong. What websites you visit are nobody else's business. Period.

The internet is a dangerous place and it has turned into a destructive thing.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 04:48 AM   #3
tempted

tempted is on a distinguished road
In my opinion ,i don't think i´'s a conspiracy but lately i've been having a few problems with the internet also,just this past week i had been in trouble with 2 stupid virus the last one took me an entire afternoon to get it off my computer,and the first one luckly it wasn´t one my pc but in the page i went to so it was easier to get it off,so i guess i kind of agree with you internet it's a bit anoying this days...
tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #4
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Think of using the internet as like going to war... as long as you're suitably prepared, you should come out reasonably unscathed!

Personally, I have my machine protected to the max. Nothing, and I mean nothing comes into my machine, or goes out of it without me knowing about it.

Using a combination of Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware software my PC is safe as houses.

Believe me though, broadband does nothing more than to create a whole host of new potential programs. Most broadband connections have reasonally static IP addresses [something you don't generally get on dial-up] which makes your machine easier to hit [seeing as with broadband your PC is always connected].

A few recommendations for you all. Go to www.zonelabs.com and download the free version of Zone Alarm at least. It offers great protection against unwanted intrusions and you can give or deny permissions to programs that want to access the internet. That's your first port of call.

Secondly, get some decent anti-virus software. AVG Free edition is pretty good [www.grisoft.com].

Try not to use Outlook for your email if you can help it. Outlook is commonly targetted by virii and is particularly susceptible to attacks - and ask your ISP for a Spam Blocker.

NEVER reply to spam e-mail - especially if it has a link to remove yourself from their list. Doing this only confirms that your e-mail address is indeed active and will only lead to more spam coming your way.

Another issue with spam e-mail [but only e-mail that is in HTML format] is that they usually contain an image that is used to identify you [i.e. when you view the HTML e-mail, the image gets loaded into your browser with a unique id who's purpose is to show that your address is active]. Basically you should delete anything that looks like spam without opening the e-mail.

And finally, never open attachments from someone you don't know - especially those ending with *.exe, *.scr or *.pif - cos only bad things can happen! Be sure to fully check the extension on attachments cos a seemingly innocuous attachment [e.g. introduction.doc] maybe in fact be one of the above file types. I've seen attachments called introduction.doc_____________.scr [imagine the underscore to be spaces] - so don't take filenames at face value.

If anyone has any other questions about internet security, gimme a yell and I'll see if I can help you.

- S
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #5
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

TEH INTARWEB !!1

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #6
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Your totally right spank, but in the answer lies the problem you must know a decent amount about software and pc's in general, to surf a little. A lot of people at my work don't have that and manage to screw up their comp in a few months time. In my country most older people can't understand technical english, but they all have broadband internet acces( where like you said lies the problem most of the times). I think people should educate themselves more and see the dangers of internet( for their pc's that is...).
Another good anti-spyware program is Spybot search and destroy, it's donation-ware( yeah really ) so it's free and it's capable of deleting a lot of crap from your regedit.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 01:54 AM   #7
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
I think we can look forward to a lot more rules and regulations being applied to the internet. An anti spam law is on its way now, and Id bet that there are more of these types of laws on there way. The internet, although its been in existince for a while now, is still rather unrefined. There are still hundreds of congressmen and women who dont know didly squat about the internet. If you ask me pop ups should be illegal for the same reason they are trying to make telephone advertisements illegal.

And heres something I just dont get. WHY do companys even bother with pop-ups ?. I dont know a single person that has ever looked at a pop up, clicked it, and purchased something. I mean really, whos dumb enough to click one of those win a million dollar things. All they do is make me get really pissed at whatever company the pop up is for.

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #8
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
thanks Spank... I knew I needed some of that stuff but didn't really have any recommendations. Last time I tried the ZoneAlarm Firewall I found it inconvienent, but thats was probably down to my lack of internet literacy at the time. little things like Microsoft not actually giving "obvious" file names to certain programs that connect over the internet doesn't help.

Using the virus checker I found 6 worms and 1 trojan. the trojan did have an IRC name though, so I'm assuming that It was only really a threat when I logged into irc, like once every month (nostalgia!)

Incidently, this reminds me of a problem I had a while back with the "Messenger" pop ups through Win2000 (not sure if it applies to XP). I'd get annoying adverts poping up randomly, including one selling a program to stop the adverts. Funny thing was that all you actually had to do was stop the messenger.exe from starting up in the first place... had me confused for a while, as I was getting confused with MSN and the NT message broadcaster (messenger.exe is actually the later)... Its all a bit cryptic really...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #9
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by the_artist

Incidently, this reminds me of a problem I had a while back with the "Messenger" pop ups through Win2000 (not sure if it applies to XP). I'd get annoying adverts poping up randomly, including one selling a program to stop the adverts. Funny thing was that all you actually had to do was stop the messenger.exe from starting up in the first place... had me confused for a while, as I was getting confused with MSN and the NT message broadcaster (messenger.exe is actually the later)... Its all a bit cryptic really...
You actually need to have Messenger Service running - it's a method for programs such as Anti-Virus software to communicate with you. For example, AVG will alert me when it finds a virus if I download a file or insert a CD or something. It will not be able to do this without Messenger Service running (in which case I'd have to run a manual virus check).

The way to stop these Messenger pop-up ads is to have a firewall running - once I installed Zone Alarm it stopped them all.

It's not recommended to disable the Messenger NT Service (XP and Win2K).

- S
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #10
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
It's not recommended to disable the Messenger NT Service (XP and Win2K).

- S
surely it doesn't particuarlly matter when my home PC isn't connected a LAN?
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote