Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #1
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Nintendo show us their Wii

Anyone seen the nintendo conference? What did you think? Personally I was... underwhelmed. From what I could tell the games seemed little more graphically advanced than the stuff on gamecube... which isn't the issue of course. The controller stuff was all pretty cool, but I don't know. They go on and on about how it's more intuitive, but their little tennis game at the end didn't go terribly well, even for the nintendo honchos who have been developing it! Holding back on precise release dates and prices was disappointing as well. Have to say though, it was probably more fun than Sony's conference. They put on a good show even if the games weren't rocking my world...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
i feel the same way kupo, the remote was nice, but none of the games really blow me away. their first party games looks like the same old stuff, and the 3rd party games theyve shown was disappointing, that Red Steel game they demo wasnt impressive at all. The most disappointing part was Super Smash Brothers Online wasnt shown at all.

oh btw, Miyamoto looked like a fool playing with that wiimote.

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

here's the picture of Nintendo Wii's traditional controller - the layout pretty much looks like the dual shock .

Last edited by Vic Viper; May 9th, 2006 at 04:42 PM..
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #4
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Overall Nintendo Wii's conference was superb, I just love how the controller works in some games, especially with the new Zelda game and the sword fighter game. Definitely picking one up this fall.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #5
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan da man
Overall Nintendo Wii's conference was superb, I just love how the controller works in some games, especially with the new Zelda game and the sword fighter game. Definitely picking one up this fall.
dan da man is in fact, the F*cking man
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #6
DSgamer
here and there

kid icarus, solid snake confirmed for SSB:brawl & confirmed online :-D and yoshi story 2 for DS + starfox DS+ zelda + every other sweet thing the world has to offer for nintendo fan boys :-D
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

the Smash trailer was awesome, best part was the ending were they introduce Snake.

Smash is the first Wii game interest me.

Old May 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Nintendo seems a lot more relaxed than either Microsoft or Sony about this generation of consoles. But after all, Nintendo has a little advantage over Sony and Microsoft - they develop some of the best selling franchises in the industry. First-party titles like Zelda or Mario or Metroid will always be top sellers that other consoles will never have in their line-up.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Nintendo seems a lot more relaxed than either Microsoft or Sony about this generation of consoles. But after all, Nintendo has a little advantage over Sony and Microsoft - they develop some of the best selling franchises in the industry. First-party titles like Zelda or Mario or Metroid will always be top sellers that other consoles will never have in their line-up.
Problem is, no matter how great the games are, its all for nought if the console itself doesn't sell (see: Cube, Game... MIA: 2004)...

Even if 90% of GameCube owners had have bought Metroid Prime (which of course I did), it would still sell less than if only 25% of PS2 owners bought GTA: Vice City... and it's a damn shame seeing such superlative titles as Metroid reach such a small audience...

I fear the same thing of Wii. Having seen trailers myself, I was massively under-whelmed by the graphics (on a par or slightly better than the Cube) and unfortunately graphics sell systems.

The new controller reeks of gimick. Sure, it'll be entertaining in small doses, but much like Guitar Hero or EyeToy I'm sure it will lose its novelty rather rapidly.

Sometimes you just wanna lounge around, relax and play games - Not stand there gesticulating wildly in a vain attempt to control your on-screen avatar (incidentally I think SONY have made a massive mistake in ditching Dual Shock for motion sensing).

I just really can't see anyone being able to physically (and mentally) use the Wii as it's intended for any great length of time and that will be its downfall.

It's simply too revolutionary a controller...

- S
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank-A-Thon
Problem is, no matter how great the games are, its all for nought if the console itself doesn't sell (see: Cube, Game... MIA: 2004)...

Even if 90% of GameCube owners had have bought Metroid Prime (which of course I did), it would still sell less than if only 25% of PS2 owners bought GTA: Vice City... and it's a damn shame seeing such superlative titles as Metroid reach such a small audience...

I fear the same thing of Wii. Having seen trailers myself, I was massively under-whelmed by the graphics (on a par or slightly better than the Cube) and unfortunately graphics sell systems.

The new controller reeks of gimick. Sure, it'll be entertaining in small doses, but much like Guitar Hero or EyeToy I'm sure it will lose its novelty rather rapidly.

Sometimes you just wanna lounge around, relax and play games - Not stand there gesticulating wildly in a vain attempt to control your on-screen avatar (incidentally I think SONY have made a massive mistake in ditching Dual Shock for motion sensing).

I just really can't see anyone being able to physically (and mentally) use the Wii as it's intended for any great length of time and that will be its downfall.

It's simply too revolutionary a controller...

- S
It's true, games on GameCube do not enjoy the same sales of record sellers on PlayStation 2 like GTA games or Gran Turismo 3 (each of these games has sold roughly 14-15 million copies), but first party games for Nintendo platforms will always sell well, because the audience of the GameCube is more targeted than the one of the PlayStation 2 or the Xbox. In other words, while other platforms attract more casual gamers, GameCube consoles were sold, first of all, among Nintendo fans. A lot of these fans will buy, sooner or later, most of the first-party titles available for the console. We should remember that the GameCube didn't sell so bad - roughly 20 million units, 1-2 million less than the Xbox. The 6 best selling games for GameCube, from Super Smash Bros (which sold 7 million copies) to Metroid Prime (which I think sold something like 2.5/3 million copies), are all first party titles.

Then, we must keep in mind that Nintendo's biggest profits come from the handheld market. The Nintendo DS, criticized in a fashion not too different from how the Revolution/Wii is criticized in this period (many people were saying the console was just an awkward gimmick), has sold something like 15 million units in 15 months, with 7 million units sold in Japan (where the DS has become the fastest selling console of all times). Nintendo sells millions of games for their handheld consoles, and for the most part, these are games with development costs that are much lower than those of any average home console game.

What I meant with my post was that regardless of how they compare with other competitors in the industry, Nintendo will always enjoy relatively strong sales. In fact, if you look at charts of best selling console games, you may often see four or five first party games from Nintendo (including Pokémon or stuff like that) having a position in the top 10. Nintendo is adopting a low-profile approach to this new generation of consoles; the games of their Wii will probably be less flashy than those on other consoles, not boasting characters made of trillions of polygons, but they will focus on gameplay. As you said, graphics sell systems, so all this probably means less console and game units sold, but also comparatively low development costs. If things keep on going like this, a first-class game for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 may cost like a medium Hollywood production. I really think Nintendo people, instead of fighting a battle they can't win, have decided to stay into their own market, making their own rules, and balancing everything in the most profitable way.

Anyhow, I agree it's a shame that games like Metroid: Prime are not as popular as Grand Theft Auto; after all, Wind Waker is probably my favorite game in this generation of consoles...

About the Wii controller, I have yet to try it, so I can't really tell; but I guess the excitement of developers like Kojima about it means something. And as I wrote in another post, I also think Sony's idea of throwing away the Dual Shock was just bad... and the whole "motion sensor and dual shock won't work together" sounds way too much like an excuse made up to mask this is all a consequence of the vibration function lawsuit Sony lost against Immersion.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:45 AM   #11
REChick14
Ex-S.T.A.R.S Officer

REChick14 is on a distinguished road
Some interesting news I found out today. Wii will have an exclusive RE title. This is upsetting for me, I have my heart set on getting the ps3 and then I find out this. History might just repeat itself since I did buy a GC just for the sole purpose of RE4 which back then i thought was only going to be for the GC.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Quote:
Originally Posted by REChick14
Some interesting news I found out today. Wii will have an exclusive RE title. This is upsetting for me, I have my heart set on getting the ps3 and then I find out this. History might just repeat itself since I did buy a GC just for the sole purpose of RE4 which back then i thought was only going to be for the GC.
that title will most likely be just a spin-off and will have nothing to do with the main story canon. for all we know Capcom is making another one of those god awful Gun Survivor game.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #13
DSgamer
here and there

you know vic, all the crappy spin offs first came for ps2 and then the real good resident evil 4 came for gamecube and then they had to port it to ps2 because the ps2 resident evils sucked and people were like "omg ps2 is teh r0x0rz and pwnz teh marke7 so we deserve re4"

so suck it. luv ya <3
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #14
REChick14
Ex-S.T.A.R.S Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer
you know vic, all the crappy spin offs first came for ps2 and then the real good resident evil 4 came for gamecube and then they had to port it to ps2 because the ps2 resident evils sucked and people were like "omg ps2 is teh r0x0rz and pwnz teh marke7 so we deserve re4"

so suck it. luv ya <3
lets get one thing straight, not every ps2 re game sucked. Some were upsetting yes but didnt suck, they could have just had a bit of improvements. REC: VX was very good and yes originally it was on the dreamcast but it still was awesome. Dead Aim was alright and the Outbreaks were fun in my opinion. Outbreaks could have been better if mics were usable. So lets be nice everyone
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #15
DSgamer
here and there

you're only saying that because your name is REchick :-P
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #16
REChick14
Ex-S.T.A.R.S Officer

Quote:
you're only saying that because your name is REchick :-P
what does my name have to do with anything? so what if its RE Chick, RE is not the only game I like. I love the SH series as well and I would defend that too. So there
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #17
DSgamer
here and there

then change your name to SHRECHICK14 even though you're not even 14 anymore :-P
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #18
REChick14
Ex-S.T.A.R.S Officer

Quote:
then change your name to SHRECHICK14 even though you're not even 14 anymore :-P
How many times must i say this, the 14 didnt represent my age when i came up with the name. It happens to be my favorite number, i used it when i played sports. It just also happens to be my grandfather's b-day hence why i used the number when i played sports. REChick14 is a good name so ill stick with that
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #19
Sleazy P Martini

Sleazy P Martini is on a distinguished road
Any chick who refers to herself as "chick" is cool in my books.
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #20
REChick14
Ex-S.T.A.R.S Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy P Martini
Any chick who refers to herself as "chick" is cool in my books.
You Rock! This made my day my friend