Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old May 17th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
Nintendo Revolution

just finished watching the confence and what the hell was that. worst conference by far. they revealed nothing on revolution. the only saving grace was that zelda trailer. what a disappointment.

Nintendo Revolution picture 1

Nintendo Revolution picture 2

Nintendo Revolution picture 3

Last edited by Vic Viper; May 17th, 2005 at 02:17 PM..
Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
its funny how they were talkin bout the old games n stuff, nothing new, my friends xbox has all of that. il proly buy one though cuz im a nintendo whore (after my ps3 of course)
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I like it. It looks very slick, unlike the other more bulgy ones...

Hey, did anyone see that one helmet type thing from Nintendo that was floating around the net? I can't seem to find it now.

It looked very cool, but from seeing this, I guess that was fake. But even so, damn. What kinds of people do these things?? It looked so nice and I dunno about you guys, but I have no problem throwing a helmet console type thing over my head to play games. Especially games like Metroid.

(Well, maybe not in public, but still...)

Did anyone see this? Also, how do the controllers look? I haven't seen anything on those... but I'm sure they can't be worse than those banana ones. =|
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #4
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Ironic that it's called the Revolution, yet is selling itself primarily on the old games in its back-catalogue. Sounds very much like a company unable to keep up, diving back into its own little world where it is still king. Rather sad.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
^Well, it really is just Nintendo fighting emulation. Since people are mostly playing nintendo games on thier PCs, they just figured to include some form of emulation in the revolution and try to cut back on the amount of people downloading roms for the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
I like it. It looks very slick, unlike the other more bulgy ones...

Hey, did anyone see that one helmet type thing from Nintendo that was floating around the net? I can't seem to find it now.

It looked very cool, but from seeing this, I guess that was fake. But even so, damn. What kinds of people do these things?? It looked so nice and I dunno about you guys, but I have no problem throwing a helmet console type thing over my head to play games. Especially games like Metroid.

(Well, maybe not in public, but still...)

Did anyone see this? Also, how do the controllers look? I haven't seen anything on those... but I'm sure they can't be worse than those banana ones. =|
They havent shown the controllers yet. =/ They say its because since thier idea is so great, people will copy it and they dont want that... I just think its because they dont even know what the hell is so revolutionary about the controls yet. As for the video, that was just a fan made one... A damn good fan made video... A suspiciously damn good fan made video... Here is a link.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

doughnut ive seen the video your talking about, had that video been true i'd be the first one to get the Revolution.

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #7
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Ironic that it's called the Revolution, yet is selling itself primarily on the old games in its back-catalogue. Sounds very much like a company unable to keep up, diving back into its own little world where it is still king. Rather sad.
I don't find such an irony. To me it always seems that many console gamers, especially followers of the Play Station enterprise, are always worried about whether or not the next system will be "backwards compatible."

Personally, backwards compatibility is important, especially nowadays, as meryl said somewhere, next gen. consoles are spewing out like crazy and it's hard to keep with the new playstation, x-box, and nintendo. This is why it's important to have a new console that can play older games. I mean, it's not like they stopped making PSO games when they PS2 came out cold turkey. There were still some new and pretty good games coming in. That and taking into consideration the surplus of good games the PSO had, probably even more than the ps2, it would be a waste to no longer be able to play them. Sure, you can whip out old consoles, but this is pure hassle most of the time, considering how most prefer to play the new games, and that it is highly likely that you won't have every single console out and ready to be played.

I think it's just a matter of convenience.

Personally, I think Nintendo's idea is very cool. Admittedly, I am a big fan of Nintendo, but even so, I don't have any of the older systems anymore for one reason or another. I still have the games but nowhere to play them on and around here, finding a functioning older nintendo system is freaking expensive. Alone some of the better games for the 64 are still 50$.

And I don't think it's sad, either. Nintendo is the best when it comes to old school games and there's no denying that. While this may not hold true today, I would think very carefully about giving the title to either Sony or Microsoft. It's still up for grabs. MS may have better graphics (which to me even now this is debatable considering the X-Box 360... which looks horrible in just about every way) and the ps2 the better... well, FF? *shrug*

I find Nintendo to be a convenient and highly versatile machine. It doesn't look as bad as the ps2 and has plenty of better games than the X-Box. I find it to fit perfectly, balancing in both.

As far as comparing it to PCs, well, I wouldn't even make that comparison in the first place. PCs are in a relm of their own. They look better than any other system, that's for sure. As far as story-wise, I wouldn't know because I myself don't enjoy PC games.

If I did though, I think it would be slightly more inexpensive, as it would be more of a matter of upgrading than buying this new one, and this new one and this new one... all coming in within about a year's difference.

PC games and console games aren't the same, imo. And Nintendo isn't sad.

Quote:
They havent shown the controllers yet. =/ They say its because since thier idea is so great, people will copy it and they dont want that... I just think its because they dont even know what the hell is so revolutionary about the controls yet. As for the video, that was just a fan made one... A damn good fan made video... A suspiciously damn good fan made video... Here is a link.

I hope the controllers are wireless. This is my only plea. I have far too many cables in my room already. If they can spare me one of two I'd be grateful.

And yeah, I think you're right: I betcha they don't even know what they're gonna do yet. My god, I just hope they don't make anymore boomerangs. I swear, if I stabd myself while playing on the PS3...

Vic: I'm with you, man. (unless you're being sarcastic... I can't tell O__O). That looked awesome. Omigod. I was so psyched when I saw that. I immediately fell in love. Someone from N. needs to hire that soul NOW.

But, helmet or not, I am yet another avid N. fan... so my take is that I'm gonna buy it ASAP... and that new Sony... *sigh*... system with those fruity controllers...

Last edited by happy_doughnut; May 19th, 2005 at 06:18 PM..
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #8
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Well said and true.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #9
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
I don't find such an irony. To me it always seems that many console gamers, especially followers of the Play Station enterprise, are always worried about whether or not the next system will be "backwards compatible."
Definition 3 of "Revolution" according to Dictionary .Com : "A sudden or momentous change in a situation". Nintendo Revolution's biggest advance is to offer its back catalogue. That pratically defines irony - saying one thing when the opposite is true.

Yes, backwards compatability is a good and necessary thing, but the other consoles are also going forward at the same time as going back. Nintendo is firmly rooting itself in the past. The console will not be suistained by selling games that many people already own on old systems. Their new games simply won't be able to compete because their Console hardware is weak (though tbh, Microsoft and Sony are big liars. "Emotion Engine" my arse).

Edit:
Quote:
As far as comparing it to PCs, well, I wouldn't even make that comparison in the first place. PCs are in a relm of their own. They look better than any other system, that's for sure. As far as story-wise, I wouldn't know because I myself don't enjoy PC games.

If I did though, I think it would be slightly more inexpensive, as it would be more of a matter of upgrading than buying this new one, and this new one and this new one... all coming in within about a year's difference.

PC games and console games aren't the same, imo. And Nintendo isn't sad.
One word: Emulation. PCs already do the whole Nintendo back catalogue. It's Entirely free and of Course, it's entirely illegal, but frankly most of the people who are "hardcore" enough to want retro Nintendo games (and I have to wonder how far reaching the wish for old console games will be among the average games playing person) will have Emulated the games anyway. Or own the systems anyway.

Incidentally, has anyone heard the cries of Nintendo fanboys clinging to the last bit of hope that the Revolution is actually totally fake? They came up with some conspiracy about a "real" announcement coming on the 19th

Last edited by kupoartist; May 20th, 2005 at 09:36 AM..
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #10
DSgamer
here and there

so are me and mena the only ones looking up for the nintendo revolution? thats so sad, everyone at school doesnt like it either. o well, il pick one of these revolutions are launch, and yes mena, its going to have wireless controllers, miyamoto said it in a g4 interview
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Huh, I'm looking foward to it.

I'm just very disappointed that Nintendo didn't show much of it, or reveal what was so revolutionary about it.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:55 AM   #12
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Well, there is always the chance that the Revolution will deliver in terms of decent software (that people don't already own!) where the other consoles fail. In theory at least, developers should flock towards it because the graphical standards aren't as high so it should be easier to devlop on. It's just at this very moment, Nintendo are 1 - 0 down because they've lost the all important first round...
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:04 AM   #13
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
After selling my GameCube a few months ago i said goodbye to Nintendo, it was nice knowing them back in the early nineties. They sure got a lot of my money in those days! Was nice knowing you, wish you guys coulda just been better, like the originators you once were long long ago...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #14
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

- downloadable retro nintendo games will not be free.

- also revolution wont have a hard drive. they gave a reason why they wont include a hdd. "The company believes that kids as young as five years old will use the Revolution and could damage a built-in hard disk"

- it will have a built in 512mb flash memory instead.

https://cube.ign.com/articles/622/622870p1.html

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #15
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
- also revolution wont have a hard drive. they gave a reason why they wont include a hdd. "The company believes that kids as young as five years old will use the Revolution and could damage a built-in hard disk"
I'm trying to work out if that's the lamest excuse i've ever heard or just one of the top 10...
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #16
DSgamer
here and there

Lllllllllaammmeeeeee
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #17
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Nintendo is a non competitor in the video game business now, expect their demise to be more than a bit noticeable over the next few years...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #18
DSgamer
here and there

o well nintendo will always be my number 1
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #19
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
Its funny how people everywhere are like "Oh wow... PS3!!! Is that real?!?! Oh my God, the 360 is looking sweet!!!" and then when it comes to the revolution everyone is either like "What?" or "Meh..." I have a feeling when nintendo even does release info about this thing, people wont find it interesting other than the nintendo fanboys. Especially with that stupid excuse that kids will mess up the harddrive... cmon.

I mean I like innovation as much as the next guy, but nintendo really does need to change its image if they want to stay in this. Now I am not saying just stuff games full of killing for the hell of it... oh god, dont do that. I am tired of seeing all these FPS clones. Just go for a look that may attract gamers. Keep making games that are fesh and new like Animal crossing and pikimin, but jesus... stop making the games look like they need to be played only on saturday mornings. Hell, people are buying gamecubes just for the new Legend of Zelda. That should definitely tell you something when the old zelda didnt do much but fizzle on the charts here.