Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #1
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
DOOM 3 goes gold

Good news for PC gamers (official press release):

Quote:
Mesquite, TX - July 14, 2004 - See you in Hell! id Software and Activision confirmed today that id Software's highly anticipated DOOM 3 for the PC has entered manufacturing and will begin shipping to retail stores worldwide the week of August 2. A sci-fi horror masterpiece, DOOM 3's dramatic storyline, pulse-pounding action, incredible graphics, and ground-breaking technology combine to draw you into the most frightening and gripping first-person gaming experience ever created.

"DOOM 3 is done! And you're going to have it in your hands in a matter of days," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "DOOM 3 is a videogame experience unlike any before it. From the cinema quality visuals and the incredible 5.1 sound, to the terrifying atmosphere and hyper-realistic environments, the whole game screams 'interactive horror film!' Add in the most ferocious line up of demons Hell has ever brought to bear, and you have an experience so intense that you'll need to keep your heart medicine handy."

Built on id's revolutionary new 3D technology, DOOM 3 is a terrifying battle with the forces of Hell. In DOOM 3, your recent assignment to the Union Aerospace Corporation's Mars research facility seemed simple enough, until their discoveries and experiments unlocked the gates to Hell itself. Now, in an epic clash against pure evil you must fight to understand who is with you, who is against you, and what must be done to stop this nightmare from reaching earth. For more information, fans can visit WWW.DOOM3.com. DOOM 3 has been rated "M" for Mature by the ESRB.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #2
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Yeah i preordered it back in January, but took it off preorder since it was being constantly changed on the release date. I built this pc in March of 2003 to play the game, and now i may finally get the chance! Woot, thanks, Harry, you gonna get it on release?
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Let's just hope id made good use of the extended time they had to work on their hyped new creation... what's sure is that the game looks very very scary. I'd like to get it on release date, but I'm sure my current PC won't play it... and I know, that's sad. I was a big fan of the first two Doom games... I also designed some mod level for Doom II (the one I remember was a sort of funny looking and terribly cheap Batman level). I spent hours and hours on Doom II... a legendary game!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #4
Bogart
Private Eye

Bogart is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks for the news Harry... I've been waiting for this game to come out. I didn't play the first Doom, but I loved Doom II. Still, I think I will have some problem running it on my PC... even if it's a relatively new machine I fear it could give me a very low fps. Online shops have no indiciation of minimum system specs. How can I pre-order it if I don't even know if it will work fine on my system???
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
https://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php...02-05-24&res=l (love that comic ^^)
There are games I want more than Doom III, but probably not that many. A lot of the initial impact the game made since that strip was made has been significantly lessened, but Its still something to get excited about. I don't particuarly like ID Software. Not sure why, but I've always felt that they're too up themselves... I do hope that Doom III will reverse the trend of pushing wonderful graphics with passable games (Doom was groundbreaking - Quakes 1, 2 and 3 just didn't have it, and they went up against serious competition like HL, UT and the like). I think it will, but lots of hyped sequels have disappointed me in the last year or so.

Will Doom III pull an Unreal 2?
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Bogart
Private Eye

Bogart is on a distinguished road
Do you have an idea of the required system specs?
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

Hyuuga Neji is on a distinguished road
Here is the specs that PC Gamer recommends.

2GHz CPU
512 MB Ram
Radeon 9800
5-Channel Audio

Last Game I Beat: Fable
---------------------------------------------------
What I Really Meant To Say Is I'm Sorry For The Way I Am, Never Meant To Be So Cold
Hyuuga Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #8
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuuga Neji
Here is the specs that PC Gamer recommends.

2GHz CPU
512 MB Ram
Radeon 9800
5-Channel Audio
Ouch! Mind you, I actually meet all but the last (and least essential) requirements there.

I thought I saw official specs recently, but then again perhaps not (ID are better with their estimates than some companies, but yes, PCG's recommended specs are pretty much essential if you want to play Doom III the way its meant to be played (oh the Irony, Nvidia.))

Last edited by kupoartist; Jul 17th, 2004 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: colours!
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #9
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
sorry... a tad off the topic.. but my man trent did the sounds and soundtrack for this game... and from what i've heard... he won some kindof awards for it too... not that i need another excuse to play doom3... but.. well.. i do love Trent Reznor

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #10
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
I've been playing this game ever since the 2nd. At first it was scary but once you get used to it, it becomes resident evil scary ("Oh look, a zombie" *shoot it full of lead without even jumping*).

Also after a while the gameplay is a tad boring... the game is pretty much nothing but finding people's PDA devices, going through doors and zomblies popping out at you... in the dark.

Yes, the game is just basically the original Doom in current 3D but man... they could've beefed up the gameplay a bit. The presentation is nice but it just plays too oldschool.

EDIT: Oh and here is my PC specs (I run the game on medium settings with no problems at all)

Athlon XP 2500+
Radeon 9600xt
758mb RAM
Soundblaster PCI

But in multiplayer I have to change the settings or I get quite a bit slowdown once things get crazy.

EDIT2: Also it isn't easy telling the difference between low, medium, and high settings in the game. You will actually have to stop and look at the textures to tell how different things look. This is probably because the game is so dark.

ID did a good job on making the game look good, even on low settings.

Last edited by Chara; Aug 7th, 2004 at 12:32 AM..
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #11
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Chara, for mentioning the game. Im probably glad i held off buying it for a while, gonna wait a while for the eventual price drop, and as few console games as i play, i play even less pc games, so this will maybe be a worthwhile addition somewhere. Gonna see what kinda reviews its getting also, thanks again.........
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #12
RobHardo

RobHardo is on a distinguished roadRobHardo is on a distinguished roadRobHardo is on a distinguished road
Ahhh the times I've spent on Dooms 1 & 2 were quite magical. God mode, infinite ammo, seems as though that was the first real game with cheats, well at least the first game that got me into exploiting games glitches and flaws. I charish the times i spent blasting random monsters in a 2d setting. My birthday is in 16 days and the plan is for Doom3 to be a gift, at least thats what's on my list.

IT'S MYSPACE!
RobHardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:24 PM   #13
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
I just got my puter upgraded and my friend put a copy of this game on it. Unfortunately, I'm not running it as well as I should be because I only have 256MB RAM but I have played it on optimal settings and it was visually, incredible.

It's pretty good as far as I've played though (about two hours) although I could see the environments getting repetitive. It's really cool to see the old Doom monsters updated though and the atmosphere is really good at being creepy. Like Chara said, the scares get less and less intense as you play further.

The real draw will probably be the graphics and the fact that it's a newer version of the Doom series. The Reznor song in the intro is really good though and the sounds, while not really outstanding are good enough.

Anyway, it seems interesting and I'll start playing it again after I can run it a bit better.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote